Potential multiplayer shutdown (?) on 3/19/20? UPDATE: Shutdown is PC only, confirmed in post below

POEman553

So Rockstar Games is returning Grand Theft Auto IV to PC on March 19th, 2020. Owners of GTA4 or Episodes from Liberty City on PC will be upgraded to Complete Edition. GFWL, multiplayer mode, and leaderboards will no longer be available after that date.

This begs the question: since multiplayer mode is being removed from the PC version, will PS3 also lose multiplayer mode (or access to it) on that date as well? 

UPDATE (3/4/2020): See post here. Rockstar support indicates that PS3 multiplayer servers will stay up for the foreseeable future.

Edited by POEman553

Worth starting the multiplayer if I haven’t touched it yet? Is it better to mess around for a bit and level up, or go straight into boosting trophies? 

I did want to 100% the single player campaign first, but news of them taking servers down is making me nervous (not that it’s wrong for them to do so-the game is over a decade old) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kamurotetsu said:

It doesn't take too long, the most you need in total is 4 players for everything. It's easier and less grindy than Uncharted 2 and 3. The Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic trophy is grindy for all the wins/races mainly, people say it's glitchy: It's not. So long as you keep a very, very strict list on money you've earned, game wins and any disconnect issues, it should pop. The most difficult trophy is Fly The Co-op by beating the 3 time limited missions, Deal Breaker is tough, you'll need a good player for that.

For Wanted (Rank 10 trophy), it's possible to self boost with those 2 PS3s. This guide is essential: https://psnprofiles.com/guide/3606-grand-theft-auto-iv-multiplayer-trophy-guide

thanks for the info

Nah, this news has nothing to do with the console versions. The PC one was treated like ****, you can't even redeem your physical copy on digital clients as of 12 years after release (because the CD-Key format is totally different than the ones officially supported by Steam and Rockstar Launcher)

And what is this BS about the Complete Edition? EFLC on physical format exists for a reason... to offer exclusive radio stations and to listen only the new songs on the radio stations of the base game. This "new" Complete Edition is basically like having the main game and the two non-standalone DLCs, i.e. new songs integrated in the radio stations of the base game and no new radio stations (i.e. no "The Look" by Roxette as there's no Vice City FM)

Edited by Lance_87

Its only the PC version all online is removed due to games with windows live being used in the development process on PC for online and for licensing keys. So they are removing games with windows live stuff so you don't have to patch the game just to play it offline then moving the licensing generation through the Rockstar launcher. But not changing over to another server setup for online play like the saints row 2 overhaul is gonna have when that update launches on steam to have online again. Rockstar isn't doing that it will just be offline only but at least you will be able to play the game without patching it. Plus modders will bring online back somehow so its not a big deal probably.

On 20.2.2020 at 1:15 PM, POEman553 said:

So Rockstar Games is returning Grand Theft Auto IV to PC on March 19th, 2020. Owners of GTA4 or Episodes from Liberty City on PC will be upgraded to Complete Edition. GFWL, multiplayer mode, and leaderboards will no longer be available after that date.

This begs the question: since multiplayer mode is being removed from the PC version, will PS3 also lose multiplayer mode (or access to it) on that date as well? 

Source link?

If you look a little deeper, you will also see that GTA4 has been removed from Steam.  Following the trend of GTA Vice City and San Andreas, it would be a safe bet to conclude that we will be getting a GTA4 remaster just in time for PS5.  With that, I also believe that In the very near future,  GTA4 will no longer have any console server support.  Further evidence is after the PS3 went out of production, and Naughty Dog shut down Uncharted and Last of Us, it became clear that multiplayer trophies for the PS3 will become extinct in the not so distant future.

Edited by jpmelville

7 hours ago, Philipppowitsch said:

Source link?

Basically any gaming news site that reported the news...

6 hours ago, jpmelville said:

If you look a little deeper, you will also see that GTA4 has been removed from Steam.  Following the trend of GTA Vice City and San Andreas, it would be a safe bet to conclude that we will be getting a GTA4 remaster just in time for PS5.  With that, I also believe that In the very near future,  GTA4 will no longer have any console server support.  Further evidence is after the PS3 went out of production, and Naughty Dog shut down Uncharted and Last of Us, it became clear that multiplayer trophies for the PS3 will become extinct in the not so distant future.

Vice City was not a remaster, and San Andreas was actually remastered on PS3, on PS4 they were PS2 Classics emulated.

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jpmelville said:

Where did you read that I described Vice City and SA as remasters?

"Following the trend of GTA Vice City and San Andreas, it would be a safe bet to conclude that we will be getting a GTA4 remaster just in time for PS5."

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 3

I'm worried too about potential server shutdown on PS3 due to PC multiplayer being removed. HOWEVER, I believe the reasoning behind PC loosing the multiplayer servers is due to the removal of Windows Live Games. We should be fine on console, but as a precaution for owners of the game, you should definitely work on getting all the multiplayer achievements.

On 2/20/2020 at 5:21 PM, sepheroithisgod said:

It's only a matter of time until all PS3 multiplayer servers are retired.

That is unless Sony implements backwards compatibility on PS5. Crysis 2 servers are still up on X360/One and Midnight Club LA servers were reopened after MS added it to the BC catalog.

On 3/9/2020 at 2:33 AM, Coexistant said:

I'd recommend looking for some help from @ProfBamBam55. The guy is absolutely amazing and can help you with glitches and beating the dreaful Fly the Co-op.

Fly the coop is easy learn how too play games online ffs fly the coop is not hard at all ok

• Like 1