Thoughts on the game

Juxta-Dowgle

What do people think of this so far?

I am still on the fence. I have played a handful of games and it seems pretty unforgiving, but in a way that wants me to put in the time to get better at it. 

The problem is I have about a zillion other games to play at the moment and I am not sure I have the free time to put in the hours to 'git gud'.

I also play solo (with randoms), and it really seems like the type of game that really benefits having a partner to communicate with.

Going to give it another shake, but not 100% sold.

Edit: The positives;

I really like the New Orleans Voodoo Vibe, and the boss fights are entertaining.

Gunplay feels satisfying

The atmosphere and sound design is great.

Edited by Juxta-Dowgle
adding thoughts

It's good, but it takes some getting used to. I've been killed 3 times now because I keep forgetting that reloads need to be done manually. I've probably only played 5 hours now. My first impressions were: I don't really like it. But then it started to grow on me. It's definitely one of those games (at least for me) that you've gotta give time to get used to everything in it.

Positives:

-gameplay is fun, unique and rewarding when you do good.

-sound is amazing with headphones.

-map design and atmosphere are awesome.

Negatives:

- (at least for solo) the game can occasionally be unforgiving with enemy spawns. I once had a brute, 2 wasp swarm things, and 5 grunts on me in a tiny area. There was another time, where I was attacked by a pack of 4 dogs in a bushy area where I couldn't see them. For solo, that is a terrible experience. The dogs are faster than you, afflict bleed, and take 2-3 shots a piece to kill. Your only hope is do not miss in that circumstance, because there is no time to reload.

-i don't know if it's just me, but the aiming does feel slightly clunky. Maybe it's just me coming off of Apex Legends and not being used to it quite yet.

Edited by LostLightLegacy

I really like it, gotten 3 hunters to max rank so far. Usually just play in trios but have been trying to do solo runs too. I feel like the game needs to do a better job of stressing the importance of sound, most low level teammates just go open season on the grunts.

Aiming is wonky but Ive messed with the sensitivity and have managed to score a couple of headshots (Winfield with scope seems like the best for the job early on). I reckon 100 headshots will be hardest/longest trophy in game, especially since my loadouts are just melee and shotguns.

On 22/02/2020 at 5:49 PM, LostLightLegacy said:

It's good, but it takes some getting used to. I've been killed 3 times now because I keep forgetting that reloads need to be done manually. I've probably only played 5 hours now. My first impressions were: I don't really like it. But then it started to grow on me. It's definitely one of those games (at least for me) that you've gotta give time to get used to everything in it.

Positives:

-gameplay is fun, unique and rewarding when you do good.

-sound is amazing with headphones.

-map design and atmosphere are awesome.

Negatives:

- (at least for solo) the game can occasionally be unforgiving with enemy spawns. I once had a brute, 2 wasp swarm things, and 5 grunts on me in a tiny area. There was another time, where I was attacked by a pack of 4 dogs in a bushy area where I couldn't see them. For solo, that is a terrible experience. The dogs are faster than you, afflict bleed, and take 2-3 shots a piece to kill. Your only hope is do not miss in that circumstance, because there is no time to reload.

-i don't know if it's just me, but the aiming does feel slightly clunky. Maybe it's just me coming off of Apex Legends and not being used to it quite yet.

I agree with everything you have said. I have probably played about 4 hours now and it is growing on me the more and more I play it. The sound design is amazing and I agree with @Sasquatchsaul that it is important. I play with headphones and being able to locate enemy hunters/ai spawns by sound alone is crucial.

The game creates a really tense atmosphere every minute of the match.

My only main criticisms so far is that I agree that the aiming feels slightly 'off'. I can't pinpoint exactly how, but coming off Apex and Overwatch it justs feels more clunky when I am in a PvP situation. I don't mean the guns being slow and clunky, I understand that is the design, but the actual aiming and target acquisition feels stiff.

The other main one is I think that losing characters permanently when you die is a bit too unforgiving and can actually discourage gunfights. I have been in shootouts with high level hunters, who just high tail it as they don't want to lose their character.

Overall though, I am liking it more by the game. It really rewards time investment and learning the map/guns/enemies.

My opinion is I love it. I like games that allow me to play smart and benefit from that. Like other slower paced games and BR's, you really need think about how to approach situations. If you kill the boss now or later, if you really need to shoot or not (only do it in life or death situations, against a boss or hunter), your pathing, noise etc. If you find yourself being chased by too many AI monsters, then you're playing it wrong. Slow it down, kill what you need to with melee and you'll be fine. Learn AI patterns of attacks, agro range and damage (especially the hellhounds) and listen to everything! Sound is the most important tool.

58 minutes ago, Juxta-Dowgle said:

My only main criticisms so far is that I agree that the aiming feels slightly 'off'. I can't pinpoint exactly how, but coming off Apex and Overwatch it justs feels more clunky when I am in a PvP situation. I don't mean the guns being slow and clunky, I understand that is the design, but the actual aiming and target acquisition feels stiff.

Both Apex and Overwatch have aim assist, and strong assist at that. This game only has aim assist for barrels and very close up AI and hunters, like 2 metres kinda close and that's only after a second or so of looking at them which is odd. After that, everything is your own accuracy with no assist. If it's stiff, increase your sens.
I play other shooters quite a bit with no aim assist so i'm actually fine with the feel of this game once I figured out my sens. It can be annoying at times up close with most guns being single fire, but that's when you need to think smarter and choose your loadout with whatever play style you're going for to not get caught out.

I just got it today, played about 3 games. I like it. Obviously, there is a steep learning curve. But I'm willing to put my time into it to get better. I absolutely love the setting, and the atmosphere. But I gotta find friends to play this with. It seems imperative that you play with a team, a team with communication. 

• Like 1

Okay well, despite my previous comment, I'm starting to regret dropping 40 bucks on this. I should have realized this game is filled with experienced Call of Duty expert snipers who one shot you before you can even react. This game definitely is reminding me why I have never played a COD game. Mainly because I suck at these kind of games. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but all that happens is I either get owned, or my teammates have to carry me all game. 

@jackmadrox If you are struggling, I'd be happy to help you on PSN.  I don't win every match, but I almost never get sniped in this game (and I'm not the one sniping, since I love the close quarter shotgun).  It's a learning curve for sure, but I've found that dark sight, along with a good set of headphones, goes a long way in making sure you survive.  Either way I'd be happy to help out the Hunt!