Have you ever thought of quitting trophy hunting?

arcanehornet_

First of all, I am making this post simply to get insight from others about this topic.

I do enjoy the activity of trophy hunting, although I am concerned about its extremely addictive nature.

I have thought about quitting many times before.
I think it takes too much of my free time when I could be doing much more productive instead of chasing trophies.

I could compare it to drug addiction, albeit a less harmful one at that. You’re essentially just buying more and more games to get even more trophies, just fueling the addiction. You end up getting more enjoyment from the trophies than the game itself.

This is why platforms like the Nintendo Switch offer a breath of fresh air, because it’s a pure gaming experience without the distraction of trophies.

What do you all think?

• Like 1

I quitted trophy hunting in 2014 and then went back to it again in 2015. 

I don’t plan to quit again though but I stopped trophy hunting on games that aren’t my cup of tea.

I do play games online for fun like Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield 4 when taking breaks from trophy hunting.

Edited by BrettyBoy

For me, I can't call myself trophy hunter, because I do buy game and play it for fun. If it is entertaining enough I will do 100% on it, if its not that fun as I thought, I will 100% it later. I always did that even in 90s on NES or Genesis, before achievements/trophies existed as we know today. But again, I can't say I am addicted to this stuff because I taking long breaks between unlocking trophies and someday I will stop doing this, probobly when PS5 coming out and I will unlock all trophies I want for PS3/PS4 and Vita.

• Like 3

I am a trophy hunter but I'm not addicted to trophy hunting but more addicted to gaming. If I stop gaming for maybe a week, I start becoming extremely bored because tv, reading etc just doesn't do it for me. It's probably a bad thing but it makes me happy too. I've gamed ever since I can remember so it's hard to rip that part of me away. I do enjoy trophy hunting but I refuse to force myself to play something. The only time I force myself to do something is if a server shuts down for a game I enjoy. I don't play any of those bullshit 10 minute platinums or whatever because I'd rather enjoy a game like God of War which takes 50 hours than play 50-odd 1 hour platinums that some people do just for numbers and I think that's exactly where trophy addiction comes in. Giving up trophy hunting isn't such a big issue to me as I would just be trading in one gaming platform for another (PS to PC). Such as before I started this profile, I played World of Warcraft for YEARS which I also went for all the achievements there too but it's not because I'm addicted, it's because I'm definitely more of a completionist than a trophy hunter. Before trophy hunting existed, I would always get every collectibles/side mission etc done so that I could say I've 100% that game (e.g. Kingdom Hearts series, Ratchet and Clank trilogy, Crash Bandicoot etc) and it just so happened trophies were invented soon after I owned a PS3 (my first console was Dreamcast followed by Xbox Original). God of War for example, even if trophies didn't exist, i'd still beat the valkyrie queen and collect ALL the collectibles and do all side missions etc.

Edited by Last-_-Judgment
  • Like 2

On 21/02/2020 at 4:11 PM, StylerX01 said:

What sort of guidelines have you given yourself?

I quit trophy hunting for nearly 2 years when my backlog became far too big to manage and I was becoming stressed about not being able to achieve everything in a timely manner, and ultimately it became a chore.

Once I got back into trophy hunting, I decided not to set myself any goals or targets as such, just to play and enjoy what I wanted and go through the trophies as and when I want. That approach has definitely kept me enjoying the experience since.

• Like 1

It was three years ago I've retired of trophy hunting. The reason was about my motivation and Steam which has basicaly the same and more games I like on this platform. And I've returned this year after creating three different account just because of foolish reason. (username, too much hidden trophies etc..)

Now I'm putting just 5 games at once, and if I succed one, I can put one more. (and if my trophy account is below 100)

• Like 1

I have a busy life and get to game for around 2 hours a day, because of that I look forward to it and very rarely get burned out.

Trophy Hunting can be addictive and does sometimes get it's claws into me. The biggest reason for me are the stats, the accurate timestamps, trophy rarity, that seems to be more where my addiction lies, setting goals, knowing exactly what to focus on.

It's allowed me to go into this level of detail (thanks to PSNP) :

tYHgh99.png

SwcuLxp.png

KmSiDoB.png

My focus at the moment is Resident Evil for Platinum 100, by the time I get to it I'll be able to add Resident Evil 3. Afterwards I'll be starting my A to Z challenge.

I think it's fair to say I probably take this a bit too far and....there is more ?

• Like 2

On 2/23/2020 at 6:28 AM, ScintillaWolf said:

I quit trophy hunting for nearly 2 years when my backlog became far too big to manage and I was becoming stressed about not being able to achieve everything in a timely manner, and ultimately it became a chore.

Once I got back into trophy hunting, I decided not to set myself any goals or targets as such, just to play and enjoy what I wanted and go through the trophies as and when I want. That approach has definitely kept me enjoying the experience since.

I try to do the same for myself. I like getting trophies, but I try to just play games that I think I'll enjoy and if I really like the game and think the trophies are doable, then I'll make it a bigger focus to get them all.

10 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

I have a busy life and get to game for around 2 hours a day, because of that I look forward to it and very rarely get burned out.

Trophy Hunting can be addictive and does sometimes get it's claws into me. The biggest reason for me are the stats, the accurate timestamps, trophy rarity, that seems to be more where my addiction lies, setting goals, knowing exactly what to focus on.

It's allowed me to go into this level of detail (thanks to PSNP) :

This is a pretty cool setup you have. I've always loved data but haven't had the patience to set something up like this. Nice work.

• Like 1

It's more video games in general than it is trophy hunting for me, I get just as much enjoyment playing fire emblem awakening for the 100th time than I do getting trophies.Trophies are just something that happen while playing games.

I did try to cut down to a hour of gaming a day once, it didnt last.

I did quit hunting trophies. I made a post a few months back about being "addicted" to trophies, and have since quit. I still get the impulse to do it every now and then but like any addiction I just have to fight the urge. Trophy hunting for me is a bit unhealthy. I have a family of 5 that I support, a 40+ hour a week job, and a budding Youtube hobby that I just started. There isn't room for trophy hunting anymore.

This is a very interesting question as I am very sure the opinions on this subject will vary vastly. I myself only trophy hunt for games that I know I will like, such as a game series, i.e Splinter Cell Games and games that do Not have multiplayer/coop trophies. It gives people a better since of what genre and style games I am into when they view my profile, if anyone actually ever does. On the occasion I will trophy hunt for multiplayer games but it is very rare. When i am on my PS3, yes I still use mine, I have Trophy notifications turned off. I actually forgot to turn it on. Sometimes it is very nice to just play a game and not worry or get distracted by a pop up in the middle of a cut scene. It made me debate on whether to turn on/off the notifications on the PS4. I can't really say that I'll ever quit trophy hunting as I don't think of myself as a trophy hunter in the first place. I kinda just play games and if a trophy looks obtainable and fun, I'll shoot for it. But I will never sit through another "My Name is Mayo" for an easy Plat ever again....

On 2/21/2020 at 10:05 AM, StylerX01 said:

I could compare it to drug addiction, albeit a less harmful one at that. You’re essentially just buying more and more games to get even more trophies, just fueling the addiction. You end up getting more enjoyment from the trophies than the game itself.

This is why platforms like the Nintendo Switch offer a breath of fresh air, because it’s a pure gaming experience without the distraction of trophies.

What do you all think?

As I see it, trophies are nice goals to go for when playing games, but they shouldn't feel like they're consuming your life like an addiction would.  I hope I'm not in the minority here... but I think most people on this site see trophies like that.

So if you feel like this, then I think it would be a good idea to step back, look at what you're doing and think about why you feel this way.  Maybe there's something you can change so that it doesn't seem so unhealthy?  Consider setting time limits for how much you are trophy hunting, or consider how you can care a little less about your rank (if that is leading you to push for trophies more or play games that you really don't want to etc).  I don't really know your situation, these are just a couple suggestions that might not really apply.

Oh, many times.  But I couldn't really ever walk away from it.  I do take breaks from time to time to focus on other things more as a natural function.

I can still pick up Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie and play them to 100% and love them.  That'll never change.

However, I will say the key to keeping yourself sane is:

Don't push yourself too hard.

If a trophy (King of Jump Rope FF9) is just super (Photography trophy in Insult Simulator) ridiculously (Super Meat Boy Plat) hard (I am Bread plat), just drop it and move on.  Plenty more games to love <3 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know that I'd completely quit being a trophy hunter but my devotion to these damn things is a bit of an an ongoing struggle.

I started on PS3 in 2010 and wasn't hooked by the trophy thing until 2012. About four years ago, I began to question why I was investing so much time in certain games with really frustrating and grindy trophies. I eased up and while I was still collecting lots of trophies, I wasn't making myself miserable in the process. 

Then out of the blue, I got this sudden urge about 6 months ago to improve upon my overall trophy completion percentage, which was at around 60%. Even though I have a backlog of around 25 PS4 games, I started going back and collecting missing trophies from PS3 games I'd already played and doing some of the DLC I had never played from those games. And most of time I'm thinking "What the hell am I doing this for? I was annoyed at myself for my lack of discipline that had resulted in me playing these old, comparatively crappy-looking games on hardware that was a chore to use compared to my PS4 Pro.

I even did something a couple of months ago I'd never done before - bought a game just to get cheap platinum. That one was Adam's Venture on PS4, which was on sale for less than a buck, but was quite possibly the worst use of 5-6 hours I've ever done.

There are times I wish trophies never existed, as the pursuit of them can definitely make you lose sight of why you're playing a game - to have fun.