Hvalpen

Is this possible to plat without keyboard(primarily asking those who platted it)

16 posts in this topic

I saw in the guide that a keyboatd is highly reccomended. So i wanted to ask those who platted it, wether they used a keyboard or a dualshock controller?

22 minutes ago, Hvalpen said:

I saw in the guide that a keyboatd is highly reccomended. So i wanted to ask those who platted it, wether they used a keyboard or a dualshock controller?

You do not have too many options:

@Floriiss, @k1ttyloaf, @JeGal_MuhU, @kamakura19

I will allow myself to call you in OPs name (pardon in advance...).

Edited by Smashero

From what I know so far about the game and if I got it correctly, some levels have a high bps to follow; my personal bps is brutally shit with a pad but it gets way better with a keyboard, making this last a must for me.

Edited by VirtualNight

Yes, it can be done. The main reason a Keyboard is recommended is because of Coda and, to a lesser extent, Bolt. It is just hard to keep up the beat in double tempo with the controller, but it is doable. @SlimSanta94, who is only one trophy away from the platinum, cleared Coda with the controller. 

It just makes an incredibly hard game even harder. I'm playing it with a keyboard myself. 

Edited by Arcesius

10 minutes ago, Floriiss said:

I've obtained the platinum by using a keyboard and k1tty did as well. As for the other guys I have no clue as they are all Japanese/Korean and I never spoke to them. A keyboard is highly recommended, but not a necessity. You can still obtain this platinum without a keyboard, but bear in mind that its going to take you longer. This game was originally made for PC so using a keyboard feels a lot more natural. From personal experience when using a DS4 controller on double tempo characters it's really easy to mess things up, hence why I switched to playing keyboard.

That being said, even with a keyboard it's an extremely difficult task, so don't underestimate it in the slightest. The average person spends 2 months (approximate 300 hours) of practicing Coda before they get their first clear. This is by using a keyboard. With a controller it could take you even more months. Probably an additional +200 hours on top of that. It really comes down to how much time you want to devote into it to get that good. As mentioned before @SlimSanta94 cleared Coda with a controller and I feel like if he will stick long enough to all char low% he will obtain the NecroDancer platinum by solely using a DS4. Perhaps Santa can give you some more insight in his experience with this game and using a controller.

Thanks for your answer. I got two questions for you

What keyboard did you use?

How long did you practice each day, and did you focus on this game solely or also played other games in between(yeah ok technically that was three questions) :P

Nah i aint underestimating it, and i realize that my chances of actually getting the plat are super duper small, but i wanted to try the game out regardless, since its notorious.

Probably not. I cant imagine doing Coda with a controller.. Bolt low % too is a nightmare. Idk it took my about 6- 8 hours a day practice for almost a year on a keyboard. 

On 2/21/2020 at 1:19 PM, Helyx said:

"Dear all 5 of y'all..."

Whoa, been a long time since I've seen Helyx! Didn't know your completion was that insane! Gotakibono has a high completion percentage too, but I believe you have way more games.

Posted (edited)

Just a little update for OP. I've been practicing low% pretty relentlessly for the last 2 months (still using a controller). The most important aspect of clearing all characters low% & Coda is consistency, which i'm happy to say is very much possible with a controller. I've gotten to the point where I can clear 7/9 characters low% pretty consistently (with the exception of Monk/Dove which are extremely RNG heavy) and i'm now hoping to obtain the platinum trophy as soon as I can clear these two characters in a row. Like with anything else, if you put in the time you will see results and it's 100% possible to do with a controller.

Edited by SlimSanta94

8 minutes ago, SlimSanta94 said:

Just a little update for OP. I've been practicing low% pretty relentlessly for the last 2 months (still using a controller). The most important aspect of clearing all characters low% & Coda is consistency, which i'm happy to say is very much possible with a controller. I've gotten to the point where I can clear 7/9 characters low% pretty consistently (with the exception of Monk/Dove which are extremely RNG heavy) and i'm now hoping to obtain the platinum trophy as soon as I can clear these two characters in a row. Like with anything else, if you put in the time you will see results and it's 100% possible to do with a controller.

Mad respect. I’ve been thinking about having a crack at this game as a very loooong term project for bragging rights (helps that the game actually looks fun). Think I’ll be using a keyboard when the time comes though. 😂

Curious how many hours you’ve invested (if there’s a timer)?

7 minutes ago, Kcrack_Km said:

Mad respect. I’ve been thinking about having a crack at this game as a very loooong term project for bragging rights (helps that the game actually looks fun). Think I’ll be using a keyboard when the time comes though. 1f602.png

Curious how many hours you’ve invested (if there’s a timer)?

Thanks! i'd definitely recommend it whether you attempt the platinum or not, it's a fantastic game.. one of the most enjoyable indies i've ever played :) I don't blame you, it's much easier on a keyboard, I just found it uncomfortable to use since i've never played games on PC xD 

So far i've put in around 1,100 hours over the course of nearly 4 years. When I unlocked Coda I had a period of 2 years where I was very on and off with practicing and doing attempts.

Bit of a dead thread, but I’d just like to mention a few things that haven’t been said as of yet. Even if you choose to use a controller, do note that you aren’t forced to use the D-pad. You are able to alter the controls so that you can move with the right side of the controller instead of the D-pad. This should make it much easier for you to maintain the beat when using a controller. A good way to improve your timing is to work on Bolt Low % runs before you even start Coda. This will make the transition from Bolt to Coda a lot easier as Bolt Low % basically forces you to master the double tempo.

Another thing I’d like to add is again in relation to Coda. Having now cleared her with and without the DLC installed, I would strongly advise everyone to try and clear her with the DLC installed. Although the DLC technically removes the Ring of Phasing, you are still able to play in Phasing Mode. Completing Coda in this mode will allow you to unlock the “Impossible, Right?” trophy. Sure, you will have to complete an extra zone and defeat an extra boss, but you will probably end up spending less time on Coda than most people since you will permanently be able to move through walls. Another bonus is that the DLC contains a few OP items that will generally make the run feel easier.