"Bye Bye", activision shutdown a few legacy games.

ArK_TatiCo

Since these games are not so popular nowadays not may people knows about this massive shutdown that Activision did and in my opinion even if they are old games it's not fair and it's disrespectful to people who still play.

With this in mind I want to inform you all that there is a channel on youtube called "Central" they are a popular channel in Brasil and they make videos about wrong decisions of gaming companies that harm the consumer, microtransactions that type of thing. So if we all send messages to them on Twitter and get their attention, maybe they make a vídeo to show to more people this problem.

This is the oficial Twitter account of the channel: @Oficial_Central and these are the two Twitter accounts of the two youtubers of the channel: @Lion_Central and @White_Central.

• Like 2

On 09/03/2020 at 8:08 PM, samuel_hsc said:

What games from this list did get their servers closed? It seems like some of these games are still up. Someone mentioned on another thread that the servers from Nascar, Tony Hawk and Wolfenstein are still working.

To quote myself:

Of the games on that list, the only ones with online trophies are the following:

• 007 Legends
  • 007: Quantum of Solace - The servers have been knackered for years so the Plat was unobtainable anyway.
  • Band Hero
  • Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2012 - Offline ever since the Facebook app was removed from the PS3's OS a few years ago.
  • DJ Hero
  • DJ Hero 2
  • GoldenEye 007: Reloaded
  • Guitar Hero 5
  • Guitar Hero: Metallica
  • James Bond 007: Blood Stone - The servers have been knackered for years so the Plat was practically unobtainable anyway.
  • NASCAR The Game: Inside Line
  • Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock - The leaderboards are still up so the Platinum should be 100% obtainable, since none of the trophies required the MP servers.
  • Tony Hawk: Shred - This was shutdown years ago.
  • Transformers: Dark of the Moon
  • Wolfenstein

...and of those, only NASCAR The Game: Inside Line is still up and running.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

2 hours ago, samuel_hsc said:

What games from this list did get their servers closed? It seems like some of these games are still up. Someone mentioned on another thread that the servers from Nascar, Tony Hawk and Wolfenstein are still working.

The games that have their servers closed are: Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2012, all 007 games, all DJ Hero, Band Hero and all Guitar Hero, althought Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock have their online trophies still obtainable since the leaderboards are still up.

The Tony Hawk had their online servers closed years ago without warning and yes Nascar and Wolfenstein have their servers still up.

About the others I don't know but they are probably closed at this point, althought that doesn't matter for the trophies since some of them doesn't have trophy support and the others the trophies can be achieved offline.

They recently added Skylanders Spyro's Adventure, no problem in any away since the platinum can be achieved offline.

Edited by gauzy-pants3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

I read your post, but not every game on this list seems to have been shutdown by Activision, as other members confirmed. 

9 minutes ago, gauzy-pants3 said:

The games that have their servers closed are: Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2012, all 007 games, all DJ Hero, Band Hero and all Guitar Hero, althought Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock have their online trophies still obtainable since the leaderboards are still up.

The Tony Hawk had their online servers closed years ago without warning and yes Nascar and Wolfenstein have their servers still up.

About the others I don't know but they are probably closed at this point, althought that doesn't matter for the trophies since some of them doesn't trophy support and the others the trophies can be achieved offline.

They recently added Skylanders Spyro's Adventure, no problem in any away since the platinum can be achieved offline.

Oh, so just Nascar and Wolfenstein then. Thanks for the info.

I thought NASCAR The Game: Inside Line had been shutdown but obviously I wrong on that one. I wish Activision would make it clearer as to which games have been shutdown completely and which ones they just abandoned and left as is.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

• Skylanders Spyro's Adventure: new game on the list, that have platinum but it's not missable.

At this point Activision its going to close more servers/online of legacy games. This is the last year i think so we have to see what happens on the next days/months

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

I wonder how much longer Activision will keep the CoD games servers up for on PS3.  Especially CoD3 and CoD4 because CoD3 is trash and CoD4 got a remaster.

It wouldn't surprise me if they canned the majority of the PS3 COD servers within the next year or two, because it can't be cheap to keep them up and running when hardly anyone plays them any more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

I wonder how much longer Activision will keep the CoD games servers up for on PS3.  Especially CoD3 and CoD4 because CoD3 is trash and CoD4 got a remaster.

I wonder about this too. Their old CoDs are full of hackers, why are these games still up and running? Even BO1 and BO2 should be shutdown cause the online is a mess and “unplayable” cause of the hackers. Ghosts, AW and BO3 should still be online but even these games have hackers now.

On 23.02.2020 at 3:00 AM, ArK_TatiCo said:
  • Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
  • Wolfenstein

It breaks my heart, but seriously, that was very long servers lifespan.

On 23.02.2020 at 3:20 AM, Givaldo150 said:

I still don't understand why those companies shut down servers on PS3/PS4/Vita, on PC, some games from late 90s still have servers on, like Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 Arena.

Because they are hosted by players. I will never understand why you can't host your own server for console games. I think you can own your server only in MGO3 and Battlefield (for money) games. Damn, I used to run dedicated servers for CS,HL,Killing Floor and even Minecraft. I still have back-ups just in case, but seen console servers for my favorite games doing down it's really sad.

• Like 1