Helpful Video Guide From a "Problematic" Person

Hello, I'm making a trophy guide to a game (don't want to say what in case anyone makes one before I do, haha) and for my "tips and help" section, I wanted to put in a great video guide that I used to help obtain the platinum trophy for the game. The problem is, is that when linking the channel to for the guide, it leads to some rather racist videos on his home page. I wanted to see what could be done about that, since we obviously want to give credit to those who've made good guide videos, but I don't want to endorse his politics.

Essentially what I'm getting at is, is that should I just forget about the video and only link videos for a trophy-by-trophy basis, or if I put the video guide in with my text guide, can there be a disclaimer put about the content? A disclaimer wouldn't be anything brash, but just a simple "I don't endorse the political views of this channel owner". Any response back is appreciated. Apologies if this is a dumb topic or has been discussed before. Thank you!

It shouldn't be a big deal as long as you aren't linking the political videos or mentioning their politics in the guide. If you can find better videos though and still don't want to link the other ones you could link those instead.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

It shouldn't be a big deal as long as you aren't linking the political videos or mentioning their politics in the guide. If you can find better videos though and still don't want to link the other ones you could link those instead.

Yeah I'm not linking the video specifically, but his channel's home page auto-plays a white nationalist video.

Also, love the JoJo stuff, my friend. I'm assuming Part 5 is your favorite? Haha!

I'd try to find another video that was just as good but without the connection to distasteful politics. Some people, not everyone but some, might see that as a tacit endorsement on your part of whatever that person supports and might start putting checkmarks next to your name on a mental checklist, whether for good or ill.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

I'd try to find another video that was just as good but without the connection to distasteful politics. Some people, not everyone but some, might see that as a tacit endorsement on your part of whatever that person supports and might start putting checkmarks next to your name on a mental checklist, whether for good or ill.

Yeah, I figured that would be the best option. A shame because the video in question is actually super helpful. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sirkwyjibo said:

Yeah I'm not linking the video specifically, but his channel's home page auto-plays a white nationalist video.

Also, love the JoJo stuff, my friend. I'm assuming Part 5 is your favorite? Haha!

In that case yeah, I probably wouldn't risk it. Even if someone didn't really have an issue with the content itself they would probably find it out of place to see something like that linked from a trophy guide even if your intention was to just link them for trophy videos.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Am I missing something here? Why don't you just link directly to the video guide instead of their channel's home page?

It's required to give credit underneath a video when posting a guide. I don't want to shill one of my guides, but you can see that in my DOOM guide: https://psnprofiles.com/guide/9412-doom-trophy-guide

Edited by sirkwyjibo
Grammar Adjustment

14 minutes ago, sirkwyjibo said:

It's required to give credit underneath a video when posting a guide. I don't want to shill one of my guides, but you ca see that in my DOOM guide: https://psnprofiles.com/guide/9412-doom-trophy-guide

Ah okay, I see what you mean now. Well, if you're worried about the auto-playing video, maybe you could just link to the channel's 'About' tab instead of the home page. I don't think a disclaimer is necessary since you're just giving credit for the specific video you linked. It's pretty self-evident that you're not endorsing anyone's political views.