Is trophy hunting too addicting?

Zerpointys

I used to be a trophy hunter until I stepped back and took time to realize that I had an addiction to gaming for over 15 years. ( The 7th is my 2nd month anniversary of overcoming it) I am currently working on a new profile, playing in moderation. I was wondering if it would be possible to still hunt for trophies even as I continue to work on my recovery process, or are they addicting as well? ( Currently I am on 3 hours a night if that helps any)

Edited by Zerpointys

It is addicting for sure. I find that I get frustrated if I do not get to play at a time that I have scheduled. One must keep this in mind, since it is better knowing that you have an addiction, than not.

On an other note, 3 hours per day is not a small number.. Your addiction is still there!

Since I have a rather demanding job, I have an unhealthy habit of not being able to play on weekdays, getting increasingly frustrated and spam 10-hour sessions on saturday and sunday because in my mind I have to "make up for it". I'd much rather play 3 hours everyday if I had the opportunity, finding balance is important.

How bad was it before, if you don't mind me asking ?

I used to ignore things going on around me, the best example is I let my basement flood. Of course there's the lying about when I was on  when I stayed up late. If I get a trophy now I see it and keep playing, I don't get excited like before, not sure if it's being around other players, having my system connected to the internet, but I guess there's no real way to stop the urge if it comes back. ( I am more of a single player gamer, kinda hate multiplayer)

It definitely is addictive. I accidentally got someone into trophy hunting as well and I lowkey feel bad about it because I know how addictive it can get. Luckily I have a strong mind and can quit. If you can’t get a certain trophy, take a break and start playing it again when you’re mentally ready. If you feel like you want to rush cause of your collection of games, just remember you have a very long life, a day is 24 hours and life is not all about gaming. Easier said than done for some people, I know that. Its no fun trophy hunting if you can’t enjoy the game, a rushed feeling is never good. Religion helps for some to understand this matter, appreciating life and nature can help you get through the addiction. What helped me to keep sane tbh is: pretend this is all you have and there are no other options. For example: in reality I have 250 something games, I only download 5 or 6 and pretend thats all I have. I literally pretend I don’t have all the other games. This way I don’t feel rushed to play quickly or leave games. Once I’m done with a game, I either decide to download one other or decide to wait until I’m done with all 5-6. Hope this helps. 

I plan to go back to PlayStation 3 and start there getting all digital games as physical, and play from start to finish and move to the next game and so on until I get to where I am at on PlayStation 4. Thinking about doing it w/o internet might help. I just want to relearn how to just enjoy a game for what it is. Can you be a trophy hunter if you don't go out of your way to obtain them?

Edited by Zerpointys

25 minutes ago, Zerpointys said:

I plan to go back to PlayStation 3 and start there getting all digital games as physical, and play from start to finish and move to the next game and so on until I get to where I am at on PlayStation 4. Thinking about doing it w/o internet might help. I just want to relearn how to just enjoy a game for what it is. Can you be a trophy hunter if you don't go out of your way to obtain them?

That doesn’t sound that bad. As long as you don’t focus on the PS4 hype releases and PS5. No internet, definitely would do that. If you want to get rid off of your addiction, a good idea is disabling trophy notifications (quite the challenge though). Also wouldn’t check friend’s list as you can see their trophy level etc. which could trigger your brain.

1 hour ago, Zerpointys said:

I know a bit on ps5 but that's not on my radar, but not sure if you missed the question on if you don't go out of your way but instead take the trophies you get when you play the game, is that hunting at all?

Do you mean getting trophies while “just” playing - not necessarily focusing on trophies? That just seems like playing to me. Honestly, just play the game and when you completed the game, just check the trophies you still need/want to get, then you can focus on the remaining ones - like a cleanup -, THAT is then considered trophy hunting. Was that your question? 

I think it does for me. Not like I'm doing too much trophies, but I'm too focused on my list. I've already did three different account just because of some stupid reasons :

- Too much hidden trophies which is like an horror for me when I'm seeing my trophy list in my PS4

- Too much games began (like 30 games..)

And now I'm focused on 4 games at time and if I succed to have 100 trophies left I can add an another game.

But it could be done in moderation, like anything else, that's my thought. It's hard not to get trophies or achievements while you play, I have followed the rules I gave myself to end up having to make a new account to do it right, thing is that's how about 50 of them were made.

Edited by Zerpointys

It is addicting, for sure. I won't argue that. But I do believe it is more addicting to some than it may be for others. Each person gets a different sensation from the hunt, to the grind to the finally unlocking any trophy. Each person will react differently so there is nothing wrong with it. If it is fun to you, and you enjoy it, then I say keep doing it. If you are wasting money on cheap games just to get a few platinum, My Name Is Mayo, I'm looking at you, then I say no. I wouldn't spend money just to get a quick trophy. Trophies/Achievements were intended as a way for gamers to show other gamers just how good we were at a particular game, or how dedicated we were. I had lots of Achievements on Xbox for Splinter Cell games, why? because I LOVE splinter cell. I went for every achievement I felt I could attain. I didn't grind through it just for the achievements. I truly enjoyed and loved the game and enjoyed the challenges the achievements provided.  For some games, I might not enjoy them. If I unlock a few trophies along the way, great...but I dont' stress it anymore. I remember always wanting a clean List on the Xbox 360. I eventually gave up and just played games. Platted the ones I could and liked, and moved on. Sure my trophy list on my main acct can be a little disorganized, but that's okay. As I get older, I stress less and less about what others think and focus more on what makes me happy as a gamer. 

PS: When i was a kid we didn't have trophies or achievements. But we did set boundaries and rules for ourselves. We achieved things in our games by our own rules. 

Edited by Christof1617