List of Censored Games | PS5 | PS4 | Vita |

Undead Wolf

I wonder if those censoring assholes gonna find something "innappriopiate" or "suggestive" in upcoming Sakura Wars. Plus I think we can add to the list Granblue Fantasy Versus as well since they had to alter costumes for two characters because they were "too revealing".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YROSHIKU said:

I wonder if those censoring assholes gonna find something "innappriopiate" or "suggestive" in upcoming Sakura Wars. Plus I think we can add to the list Granblue Fantasy Versus as well since they had to alter costumes for two characters because they were "too revealing".

The devs included a sneaky workaround for that one :)

Here's some other info I have been saving up since the other thread hadn't been updated for a while:

The new Steins Gate has been heavily edited in the West :(

The PS4 versions of Doom 1 and 2 have just been censored: 

Borderlands 3' Moxxi DLC was just banned in Saudi Arabia:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EMKqLsnXsAAEik4.jpg:large

SoulCalibur 6 has just been censored :(

Song of Memories was banned in Australia:

https://www.refused-classification.com/censorship/games/s.html#song-of-memories

I don't know if you want to include this but Helldivers received some minor censorship for its Chinese release:

I don't know if there were any gameplay changes though.

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed link.
  • Like 2

Okay, everything I thought was relevant from the original thread has now been brought over. I've also added various things mentioned both here and on the last page of the old thread which weren't added to the OP. So the stuff @Jigsy1 and @fenrir54565 posted about Yakuza 4, LoveR Kiss, Disgaea 4 Complete+, and Commandos 2 HD Remaster are now on the list.

I added a "Recent Changes" section to the opening post just so it's easier to tell what I'm putting on there. I was told in a PM about the censorship of Terminator: Resistance, so that has been added to the list too.

@HuntingFever Could you be more specific about what has been censored in DOOM 1 & 2 for PS4? From what I could gather, the update actually restored some things that were missing in the Wolfenstein easter egg level, but I guess not all of it? Also, that link regarding the Borderlands 3 DLC being banned doesn't work.

On 25/02/2020 at 4:35 PM, Undead Wolf said:

Okay, everything I thought was relevant from the original thread has now been brought over. I've also added various things mentioned both here and on the last page of the old thread which weren't added to the OP. So the stuff @Jigsy1 and @fenrir54565 posted about Yakuza 4, LoveR Kiss, Disgaea 4 Complete+, and Commandos 2 HD Remaster are now on the list.

Oops, I said that I had added LoveR Kiss to the list, but it was actually just the original game LoveR. I've corrected that now so both are on there.

27 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

@HuntingFever Could you be more specific about what has been censored in DOOM 1 & 2 for PS4? From what I could gather, the update actually restored some things that were missing in the Wolfenstein easter egg level, but I guess not all of it? Also, that link regarding the Borderlands 3 DLC being banned doesn't work.

Crap, the owner of that tweet must have deleted it but I'll go digging and see if I can find another source, though if I remember right, the DLC was banned because of the emphasis on gambling (plus some extremely raunchy jokes which the Saudi censors had a fit over), which is frowned upon and outright banned in many Islamic countries. As for Doom, I'll go digging again and try to find more info :).

EDIT 1: Here's a new source for the BL3 DLC ban:

EDIT 2: DOA 6's latest batch of DLC was censored: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2020/02/dead-or-alive-6-removes-phase-4s-sexy-arnice-demon-transformation/103772/

EDIT 3: From what I can gather about the Doom 2 Wolfenstein Easter Egg censorship, is that some References (presumably relating to the Nazis) are still missing but I'm having a hard time nailing down specifics so it may be wise to put that one on the research pile for possible future inclusion.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

On 27/02/2020 at 10:50 PM, Undead Wolf said:

Could you be more specific about what has been censored in DOOM 1 & 2 for PS4? From what I could gather, the update actually restored some things that were missing in the Wolfenstein easter egg level, but I guess not all of it?

Thanks to our resident DOOM expert @ShonenCat, I was able to ascertain what changes the PS4 versions of DOOM 1 & 2 have over the original PC version. He also provided the images I have linked, so big shout-out to him. :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, The Titan said:

So sad Persona 5 Royal is getting censored. Was hoping to buy it. Oh well, I'll buy a used version so Atlus won't get my money.

The Uncut Asian version is rumoured to be getting an English translation so you can play that instead :).

EDIT: I can confirm that the Medievil remake was censored but I'm not sure of the reason - credit to TachikomaShiki for this info:

It seems the MediEvil Remake on PlayStation 4 has had the original PlayStation 1 dialog carried over but one of the Hall of Heroes characters has had their dialog altered/censored for some strange reason. No idea if this was the developers or a Sony decision but not many people seem to have picked up on it so far. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZC-1gf2PMg

TL;DR version:

PS1 Version:

"Dan, Dan, Dan. Tell me, what's a warrior queen got to do to meet someone like you?"

"Huh.. what... me?"

"Don't be shy, baby - I've seen you giving me the eye. You may be weak and feeble like all men, but I like you, Daniel."

"Oh no..."

"Oh, I love a man who doesn't talk back! I think if you return I may take you for my husband."

"Gulp!"

"Now listen up, sugar: your bow and arrows are fine for itty bitty jobs but if you wanna pack some serious heat you should take this spear."

"Great!"

"Think of me when you throw it."

PS4 Version:

"Dan, Dan, Dan."

"Huh.. what... me?"

"Don't be shy. I've seen you giving me the eye. You may be weak and feeble like all men, but I like you, Daniel."

"Gulp!"

"Now listen up, your bow and arrows are fine for itty bitty jobs, but if you wanna pack some serious heat you should take this spear."

"Great!"

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 4

Due to recent comments made by the art director of Resident Evil 3 Remake, I decided to add that game to the list.

https://www.sankakucomplex.com/2020/03/18/resident-evil-3-remakes-jill-design-sex-appeal-was-not-the-right-direction/

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2020/03/resident-evil-3-remakes-jill-was-changed-to-remove-sex-appeal-says-art-director/105414/

Also, after doing some more research about the Final Fantasy VII Remake, I decided to add that one to the list too.

• Like 3

On 2/24/2020 at 8:23 PM, Undead Wolf said:

Yooka-Laylee (PS4) - JonTron's voiced lines have been removed from the game following controversy

Source: One Angry Gamer

Maybe use an additional source, like https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/23/15039978/yooka-laylee-jontron-removed-playtonic ?

As this OAN person leaves out the context of the controversy, and purposely uses buzzwords like "mainstream media". I didn't know really anything about the controversey until looking it up just now, but Steve King is a white nationalist. It's not even really debatable, but that's neither here or there. Would just be better to have a better source (imo) than this Angry Gamer person. :/ 

On 2/24/2020 at 8:23 PM, Undead Wolf said:

Pinball FX3 (PS4) - Made various changes to artwork like removing cigars and blood

Source: Ars Technica

Region: Worldwide

Uncensored Alternative: Physical pinball machines

Found that a bit funny lol 

43 minutes ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Maybe use an additional source, like https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/23/15039978/yooka-laylee-jontron-removed-playtonic ?

As this OAN person leaves out the context of the controversy, and purposely uses buzzwords like "mainstream media". I didn't know really anything about the controversey until looking it up just now, but Steve King is a white nationalist. It's not even really debatable, but that's neither here or there. Would just be better to have a better source (imo) than this Angry Gamer person. :/ 

Found that a bit funny lol 

To be fair if they kept those things in the pinball game they would have had to increase the rating so I understand that.