List of Censored Games | PS5 | PS4 | Vita |

Undead Wolf

38 minutes ago, Dark_Overlord said:

But a clean sweep?  Sony have pretty much always had games in the charts.  Playstation don't give a shit about Japan anymore and it seems like Japan is returning the favour.

A clean sweep that's only happened twice,  with the last time being over 30 years ago. To say that this is the beginning of a trend is foolhardy. I know some people are desperate for a narrative but this isn't proof of one

3 hours ago, majob said:

A clean sweep that's only happened twice,  with the last time being over 30 years ago. To say that this is the beginning of a trend is foolhardy. I know some people are desperate for a narrative but this isn't proof of one

At what point did I say it was the beginning of a trend?  Although it just seems to happen around the same period that Japan is getting sick of Western censorship and the companies that are pandering to them.

5 hours ago, Dark_Overlord said:

Hoping this is the start of something good, Sony can't ignore the biggest publisher of Anime/Manga related games when they're so damn popular.

At this point, I’ll believe it when I see it. Very easy to say something isn’t censored to get pre orders and sales, and then claim such things are not censorship after release, therefore you weren’t lying. Many people are even so moronic that they think self censorship is not even censorship.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dark_Overlord said:

At what point did I say it was the beginning of a trend?  Although it just seems to happen around the same period that Japan is getting sick of Western censorship and the companies that are pandering to them.

Almost all of the games in the list are Nintendo exclusives which are not games known for being risque so to think this is telling of Japan's attitude towards a censorship policy is once again, foolhardy. Nintendo rules Japan, they always have, to think this is Japan "reacting" towards a western policy is a bit off the mark.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is just a rumour for now but PUBG might soon be getting shutdown in China due to draconian new gaming laws the government has implemented (NSFW link): https://www.sankakucomplex.com/2021/09/30/leak-suggests-pubg-may-be-finished-in-china/

Also, Overwatch 2 has been censored as a knee jerk reaction to the current situation at Blizzard: https://dotesports.com/overwatch/news/blizzard-seemingly-removes-a-reference-to-jeff-kaplan-in-overwatch-2

• Like 3

@Undead Wolf

I only briefly scanned this thread for keywords, so may have missed a discussion.

Anyway, I don't really think Doom 1 qualifies as censorship. The Red Cross removal (from any game) is about violation of both a registered trademark and an international treaty agreed on by the Geneva Convention. See more information found at the red cross site. Here are the terms of use and the trademark information. Here's the US Law, which would apply to id Software.

Basically, anyone that uses it is using is committing trademark infringement, and also breaking federal or country law that's been in place for nearly 160 years, adopted by nearly every country. 

Edited by B1rvine

8 hours ago, B1rvine said:

@Undead Wolf

I only briefly scanned this thread for keywords, so may have missed a discussion.

Anyway, I don't really think Doom 1 qualifies as censorship. The Red Cross removal (from any game) is about violation of both a registered trademark and an international treaty agreed on by the Geneva Convention. See more information found at the red cross site. Here are the terms of use and the trademark information. Here's the US Law, which would apply to id Software.

Basically, anyone that uses it is using is committing trademark infringement, and also breaking federal or country law that's been in place for nearly 160 years, adopted by nearly every country. 

I know they were forced to change it, but if anything, I think that makes the case for it being censorship even more. It's a minor change, and I don't think anyone's all that bothered the crosses are green now instead of red, but since they're literally not allowed to use the red cross anymore, I would still say it belongs on the list. It may be for different reasons, but I don't see it being all that different from the swastikas getting replaced in DOOM 2.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

Been wondering for awhile, but does this thread only cover in-game censorship, or can it also include cover art that has been censored too?

I'm willing to put things like game covers on the list, sure. For the DATE A LIVE: Rio Reincarnation entry, I mentioned how some of the pages from the art book were removed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'm willing to put things like game covers on the list, sure. For the DATE A LIVE: Rio Reincarnation entry, I mentioned how some of the pages from the art book were removed.

Atelier Lulula had its box art censored for the Retail PS4 release but the Digital and Switch/PC versions were left untouched. I can't remember which post it's in but somewhere in this thread, someone mentioned a Neptunia game that had its box art censored for its Western release. If you're going to start including censored Box Art and in-box collectibles, I would make them a separate category so it's easier to see them at-a-glance :).

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Atelier Lulula had its box art censored for the Retail PS4 release but the Digital and Switch/PC versions were left untouched. I can't remember which post it's in but somewhere in this thread, someone mentioned a Neptunia game that had its box art censored for its Western release. If you're going to start including censored Box Art and in-box collectibles, I would make them a separate category so it's easier to see them at-a-glance :).

Yeah, I think it's best to separate them into a different category as well, so I've gone ahead and done that. Only has Atelier Lulula, Neptunia ReVerse, and DATE A LIVE: Rio Reincarnation in there at the moment, so if anyone else knows of other examples, then feel free to post them. As far as box art goes, I'm mostly just interested in modified/cropped versions of the same image since those are more obvious.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

Due note this is actually all too common, so it will be quite an undertaking if you want to create a list of box art censorship. Muramasa Rebirth, Dragon's Crown Pro, Deception 4: The Nightmare Princess, and Guilty Gear Xrd all come to mind.

Yeah, I figured it would be. ? I think it's probably worth listing though. I'll get to work on adding those games you mentioned.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I know they were forced to change it, but if anything, I think that makes the case for it being censorship even more. It's a minor change, and I don't think anyone's all that bothered the crosses are green now instead of red, but since they're literally not allowed to use the red cross anymore, I would still say it belongs on the list. It may be for different reasons, but I don't see it being all that different from the swastikas getting replaced in DOOM 2.

The difference here is swastikas (and generic things) aren't registered trademarks. I agree government laws being created or used to force changes or outright ban games is a form of censorship, especially here in the US since where it violates the first amendment (it's a slippery slope sometimes though), but unauthorized use of a registered trademark is really a stretch. The law in this case seems a bit more of a special case too.

Anyway, I wasn't sure if you were aware of the specifics. Keep it listed or not, I don't care too much, since its good information.

Edited by B1rvine
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, fenrir54565 said:

dead island had the hanging zombie removed from the us box 

23 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Original Persona 5 had some of the cleavage covered for the ESRB box art.

Thanks, I added both of those. ?

As for the main list, I just added Gamuzumi's new game The Marauder Chronicles: Curse Over Valdria. Same deal as the Sakura Succubus games. The PS4/PS5 versions are identical to the Steam version, but there's an 18+ patch you can install that adds raunchier scenes. If you buy it on Nutaku, the patch isn't required.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 3