Undead Wolf

List of Censored Games | PS5 | PS4 | Vita |

424 posts in this topic

"in-game will no longer be named after real employees"

Lmao i just hope they don't discover anything bad about the late Kevin "Kanai" Griffith.

This is just a rumour for now but PUBG might soon be getting shutdown in China due to draconian new gaming laws the government has implemented (NSFW link): https://www.sankakucomplex.com/2021/09/30/leak-suggests-pubg-may-be-finished-in-china/

Also, Overwatch 2 has been censored as a knee jerk reaction to the current situation at Blizzard: https://dotesports.com/overwatch/news/blizzard-seemingly-removes-a-reference-to-jeff-kaplan-in-overwatch-2

Posted (edited)

@Undead Wolf

I only briefly scanned this thread for keywords, so may have missed a discussion.

Anyway, I don't really think Doom 1 qualifies as censorship. The Red Cross removal (from any game) is about violation of both a registered trademark and an international treaty agreed on by the Geneva Convention. See more information found at the red cross site. Here are the terms of use and the trademark information. Here's the US Law, which would apply to id Software.

Basically, anyone that uses it is using is committing trademark infringement, and also breaking federal or country law that's been in place for nearly 160 years, adopted by nearly every country. 

Edited by B1rvine

8 hours ago, B1rvine said:

@Undead Wolf

I only briefly scanned this thread for keywords, so may have missed a discussion.

Anyway, I don't really think Doom 1 qualifies as censorship. The Red Cross removal (from any game) is about violation of both a registered trademark and an international treaty agreed on by the Geneva Convention. See more information found at the red cross site. Here are the terms of use and the trademark information. Here's the US Law, which would apply to id Software.

Basically, anyone that uses it is using is committing trademark infringement, and also breaking federal or country law that's been in place for nearly 160 years, adopted by nearly every country. 

I know they were forced to change it, but if anything, I think that makes the case for it being censorship even more. It's a minor change, and I don't think anyone's all that bothered the crosses are green now instead of red, but since they're literally not allowed to use the red cross anymore, I would still say it belongs on the list. It may be for different reasons, but I don't see it being all that different from the swastikas getting replaced in DOOM 2.

Been wondering for awhile, but does this thread only cover in-game censorship, or can it also include cover art that has been censored too?

1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

Been wondering for awhile, but does this thread only cover in-game censorship, or can it also include cover art that has been censored too?

I'm willing to put things like game covers on the list, sure. For the DATE A LIVE: Rio Reincarnation entry, I mentioned how some of the pages from the art book were removed.

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'm willing to put things like game covers on the list, sure. For the DATE A LIVE: Rio Reincarnation entry, I mentioned how some of the pages from the art book were removed.

Atelier Lulula had its box art censored for the Retail PS4 release but the Digital and Switch/PC versions were left untouched. I can't remember which post it's in but somewhere in this thread, someone mentioned a Neptunia game that had its box art censored for its Western release. If you're going to start including censored Box Art and in-box collectibles, I would make them a separate category so it's easier to see them at-a-glance :).

29 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Atelier Lulula had its box art censored for the Retail PS4 release but the Digital and Switch/PC versions were left untouched. I can't remember which post it's in but somewhere in this thread, someone mentioned a Neptunia game that had its box art censored for its Western release. If you're going to start including censored Box Art and in-box collectibles, I would make them a separate category so it's easier to see them at-a-glance :).

Yeah, I think it's best to separate them into a different category as well, so I've gone ahead and done that. Only has Atelier Lulula, Neptunia ReVerse, and DATE A LIVE: Rio Reincarnation in there at the moment, so if anyone else knows of other examples, then feel free to post them. As far as box art goes, I'm mostly just interested in modified/cropped versions of the same image since those are more obvious.

2 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

Due note this is actually all too common, so it will be quite an undertaking if you want to create a list of box art censorship. Muramasa Rebirth, Dragon's Crown Pro, Deception 4: The Nightmare Princess, and Guilty Gear Xrd all come to mind.

Yeah, I figured it would be. 😛 I think it's probably worth listing though. I'll get to work on adding those games you mentioned.

10 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

I'll gather all the examples I can find:

Thanks for the help! All of those have been added now with the pictures you linked.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I know they were forced to change it, but if anything, I think that makes the case for it being censorship even more. It's a minor change, and I don't think anyone's all that bothered the crosses are green now instead of red, but since they're literally not allowed to use the red cross anymore, I would still say it belongs on the list. It may be for different reasons, but I don't see it being all that different from the swastikas getting replaced in DOOM 2.

The difference here is swastikas (and generic things) aren't registered trademarks. I agree government laws being created or used to force changes or outright ban games is a form of censorship, especially here in the US since where it violates the first amendment (it's a slippery slope sometimes though), but unauthorized use of a registered trademark is really a stretch. The law in this case seems a bit more of a special case too.

Anyway, I wasn't sure if you were aware of the specifics. Keep it listed or not, I don't care too much, since its good information.

Edited by B1rvine

dead island had the hanging zombie removed from the us box 

Posted (edited)

46 minutes ago, fenrir54565 said:

dead island had the hanging zombie removed from the us box 

23 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Original Persona 5 had some of the cleavage covered for the ESRB box art.

Thanks, I added both of those. 👍

As for the main list, I just added Gamuzumi's new game The Marauder Chronicles: Curse Over Valdria. Same deal as the Sakura Succubus games. The PS4/PS5 versions are identical to the Steam version, but there's an 18+ patch you can install that adds raunchier scenes. If you buy it on Nutaku, the patch isn't required.

Edited by Undead Wolf

Posted (edited)

In Rune Factory Oceans, you could marry what I remember as a 13 years old girl. In fact, she is the character that starts out with the highest friend/love meter towards the protagonist.

Obviously this was cut outside JP. IIRC, you can still judge her in a swimming suit contest...

I remember in Agarest 2, they removed the possibility to do bathroom minigames with at least one or two girls. Agarest is an RPG where you follow your characters through generations, so you kinda affect what main characters have kids etc. The bathroom mini-game has move support, which was basically just moving the controller up and down, kind of like you were fapping....... yeah, someone walked in on me playing that. o.o''' They would get less and less clothing and make sounds. Yes, this was PS3 with 16 age rating. It was linked to some trophy and they got better stats. I'm not going to show youtube vids of the scenes, for obvious reasons.  In any case, some of the characters were underage, so they cut the content and the requirement of doing it with those characters outside JP.

Edited by MMDE

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Original Persona 5 had some of the cleavage covered for the ESRB box art.

It wasn't censored. They had to move morgana otherwise his face would have been obscured by the ESRB logo. The take your heart premium edition box has the normal cleavage boxart for it

maxresdefault.jpg

if it was actually censored, they would have covered her cleavage on the premium edition box as well

Edited by SnowxSakura

If we gonna be talking about game cover censorship, you can add Yakuza 3 to the list because the cigarette was removed in the PS4 remaster. Image is large so it's under spoiler.

Spoiler

How Yakuza 3 Is Changed On PlayStation 4 - YouTube