List of Censored Games | PS5 | PS4 | Vita |

Undead Wolf

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Jigsy1 said:

Thanks for the heads up. I've put it on the list, but I'll take it off if it turns out that the change was just for the trailer. If the game itself is censored in the west, it looks like there's a workaround since the Japanese version has English subs going off the Play-Asia page for it.

On 29/01/2022 at 1:00 AM, HuntingFever said:

Magi Trials for the PS4 and PS5 has been censored: "A few CGs have been edited and some dialogues have been toned down".

I can confirm this, not just "a few" like in the first hour of the game at least 4 CG's where completly removed and others altered. And many dialog choices removed and completly altered. As an example, there is one CG right in the beggining of the game where the girl just slighty gropes her own breasts in front of the bathroom mirror, fully clothed, and personaly that was not an "obscene" drawing/scene or anything. But the scence was entirely removed on PS and the dialog within it, like you skip it.

And other more naughty dialog changed to completly bland and out of place dialog regarding the circunstances. The game is a bad Visual novel in it's entirety even the unsensored version on PC, you are not missing much tbh, but Sony completly stripped the game out of it's core. Why did the devs even bother to release it after so many changes it's unbelievable, they basicaly had to rerwrite many of the games dialog. This will start coming to bite the ass out of Sony sooner or later as this small indie devs will start to not even bother porting to PlayStation. As we are already seeing in some games. That now i look and see only 3 logos  as available "Xbox,Switch and PC".

And many are really fun indies. Like Creepy Tale 2, is a horror 2D game that involves children, murder and some blood and gore like old fairy tales, won awards as best narrative and story driven and a really beautifull game. But no PS release. While you have the game on PC, Switch and Xbox... It's becoming a real drag. 

Only the large AAA or even AA games that can get the Sony Pass (sometimes), and those are just few and far between. 

• Like 4

Reminder of the opening post of this thread:

Note: This thread was made to compile a list of games affected by censorship. Contributing to this list by providing information, such as including links to relevant articles/videos, screenshot comparisons, developer statements, etc, are encouraged. Of course, discussion about the specific examples mentioned in this thread are welcome too, but please refrain from discussing the broader issue of censorship because we already have a separate thread for that which you can find HERE.

Posts have been and will continue to be removed that don’t follow those instructions. 

PM me if you have questions. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lord_Raiden said:

Haven’t seen anyone throw a fit about the Chinese dying reborn 

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

10 hours ago, fenrir54565 said:

The Sims 4 dlc Wedding Stories not getting released  in Russia due to their law criminalizing expressions of gay relationships

The Sims 4 Wedding Stories pack won't release in Russia - Gayming Magazine

Added it to the list. Thanks!

There's a new Censored Gaming video on Martha Is Dead. I've added it as another source. People have speculated about what exactly is modified in the PlayStation releases, but it's worth noting that the developer haven't gone into any specifics yet beyond what was in that original statement. 

2 hours ago, Dark_Overlord said:

Is it due to China asking companies not to use death/dying or variations of the word in games?

That's interesting. In a similar vein, skeletons are a big issue in China too, and many games brought over to the region have had them removed.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

well more people should play it so we can have more pointless outrage about games changing 

like all the blood is green, 

the ending is totally different, 

chapter three and 5 have major things changes 

1 hour ago, fenrir54565 said:

Would you like to run an idol café? 2 had a A few CGs have been edited, and some dialogues have been toned down

I assume you're referring to the game with the 18+ patch installed and not some PlayStation-specific censorship. I couldn't find any info regarding the latter anyway. But when I was looking around Gamuzumi's site, I noticed that for Sakura Nova, mention of the PS4/PS5 versions being censored was removed from the game's page for some reason, so I've changed the source to a screenshot of the PSN store description instead. They still mention the PlayStation censorship on the Magi Trials page, so I'll keep that source for now.

1 hour ago, fenrir54565 said:

blackberry honey and the language of love have an uncensored 18+ patch on pc the console version is the all ages version

Thanks, I've added those to the list along with the mention of Would you like to run an idol café? 2's 18+ patch.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I assume you're referring to the game with the 18+ patch installed and not some PlayStation-specific censorship. I couldn't find any info regarding the latter anyway. But when I was looking around Gamuzumi's site, I noticed that for Sakura Nova, mention of the PS4/PS5 versions being censored was removed from the game's page for some reason, so I've changed the source to a screenshot of the PSN store description instead. They still mention the PlayStation censorship on the Magi Trials page, so I'll keep that source for now.

i'm not sure what CGs and dialogues changed it just says they where change on the games coming soon page on the psn web store 

Would you like to run an idol café? 2 (playstation.com)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, fenrir54565 said:

i'm not sure what CGs and dialogues changed it just says they where change on the games coming soon page on the psn web store 

Would you like to run an idol café? 2 (playstation.com)

Ah okay, it looks like there is PlayStation-specific censorship then. I tried looking for the PlayStation Store page but couldn't find it. I've added that extra info to the entry, thanks!

• Like 3

So it turns out that EA are going to release the My Wedding Stories DLC pack for The Sims 4 in Russia after all, completely "unaltered and unchanged". This is despite them previously saying they couldn't do so due to some law in Russia. Nice little PR stunt for them. I've removed it from the list.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/02/sims-4s-same-sex-wedding-stories-expansion-will-come-to-russia-after-all/

• Like 3

I'm fairly certain the info on Death End Re;quest 2 being uncensored on Switch is inaccurate. That article mentions "...original Japanese glitch outfits," which is pretty deceptive as "original Japanese" anything typically equates to uncensored. In this case however, Japan only ever saw the game release on PS4 where they only had the censored outfits. Talking with people who bought the JP version of the Switch port confirms that at least the Japanese Switch port is using the censored glitch mode models and art.

It also may be worth holding off on giving any kind of definitive info on Pocky and Rocky. As the article linked mentions, the censorship at the moment was just for the teaser trailer. There have been instances in the past where trailers are censored, but the game releases uncensored, and again, the article mentions this possibility. There is also a Switch version of the game coming out, and there is a very good possibility that version will be uncensored.

1 hour ago, ccrocker58 said:

I'm fairly certain the info on Death End Re;quest 2 being uncensored on Switch is inaccurate. That article mentions "...original Japanese glitch outfits," which is pretty deceptive as "original Japanese" anything typically equates to uncensored. In this case however, Japan only ever saw the game release on PS4 where they only had the censored outfits. Talking with people who bought the JP version of the Switch port confirms that at least the Japanese Switch port is using the censored glitch mode models and art.

It also may be worth holding off on giving any kind of definitive info on Pocky and Rocky. As the article linked mentions, the censorship at the moment was just for the teaser trailer. There have been instances in the past where trailers are censored, but the game releases uncensored, and again, the article mentions this possibility. There is also a Switch version of the game coming out, and there is a very good possibility that version will be uncensored.

The Gematsu article has some strange wording, but when they say "original Japanese glitch outfits", they're referring to the outfits from the first game. They were censored in the sequel. The PC version got these outfits in a patch, and everything I've seen suggests that the later Switch release got these outfits as well. I guess the art is still using the censored versions (which I can make clearer in the game's entry), but it should be possible to swap the in-game models with the uncensored outfit during gameplay. 

And yeah, I am aware that it could be just for the trailer which is why I put "has seemingly been covered up" in the entry for that game instead of saying anything definitive. It's more of a reminder to myself to double check once the game actually releases. 

• Like 4