List of Censored Games | PS5 | PS4 | Vita |

Undead Wolf

1 hour ago, Dark_Overlord said:

Legend Of Arcadieu 1&2 coming to PS4/5

https://gamuzumi.com/games.php?id=arcadieubundle

Both have 18+ patches on steam

Asking the publishers if there's any further content differences between PS and Switch

Thanks, I've added it to the list. Gamuzumi are usually upfront when the PlayStation versions of the games they publish have additional censorship, and since it's not mentioned on the game's page, I would imagine it's identical to the Switch version. Still, it doesn't hurt to inquire about it. Feel free to follow up if they get back to you.

I was "bearing" with the Ecchi content beeing mostly removed by Sony. But what bothers me is the Gore and Violent games in general, like Visage beeing censored when the PS4 isn't and PS5 is... Martha is Dead, and probably some other tittles. Sony is being the american Sony in Sexual content and being the Japanese Sony in Gore content. Since in Japan very explicit gore is not welcome there. 

And the Sexy being toned down is already a thing i don't appreciate, but now seeing the gore stuff also beeing affected really really bothers me... A lot. I love horror games, it's my favourite genre, and now having to deal with it is really bothering me because of the money and time invested on my PS account, and the games i still have to play in it. Visage on PS5, Martha is Dead, Doki Doki, and probably some others that i just don't understand... Sony is trying even harder to make the PS5 a platform for kids? Since it's weird Visage is uncesored on PS4 but is on PS5? It just bothers me. For now it's just cutscenes. And few dialogs. But i fear we will start having Levels of Resident Evil 2 Remake censorship like in Japan or worse, like it comes to mind. 

And also a game i covered here, The letter: A horror visual novel. That is another horror game censored...  

Sony kinda did this with the PS3 on the west with the Sexy games, you barely had none here to be honest, but you had loads of them in Japan. But They were never localized. Only the AAA get some free pass in this, maybe Resident Evil and some other mainstream horror games, it's a real shame. 

But i think these are phases, this is the Cooky Sony of the PS3 era. And also Jim Ryan and Commie fornia headquarters. When times change they will also change, Nintendo changed, Sony will eventually with a different leadership, beacuase when Xbox picks up the pace and Sony starts to loose they will start allowing stuff. It happend with the PS3 era will happen in the futute, it's just how things are... For now, we still have to show our discontent with it and play on PC or the Switch these niche games. 

Sorry for the offtopic. 

• Like 3

After playing through most of Blue Reflection: Second Light, I’ve come to believe that it doesn’t belong on this list. Part of that comes from my personal experience with both the sequel and the first game, but more importantly, TheGamer seems to have no credibility whatsoever after doing some digging. They have no Wikipedia page, and seem to have appeared only recently. Their only “claim to fame” (if it could even be referred to as such) is “In 2021, we wrote an extensive expose on workplace abuse at Techland, an oral history on Dragon Age: Origins, and we were the first to report that PlayStation was moving to shut the Vita store down”. They’re also affiliated with Game Rant, which contains some of the worst, low effort, and ill-informed articles I’ve ever read. 

As for the article in question, they claim that Kishida’s comments come from a “roundtable interview with ourselves, Digitally Downloaded, and Twinfinite”, but the link to Digitally Downloaded is dead, and in the Twinfinite interview there is no mention of fanservice at all. I wouldn’t be surprised if TheGamer twisted Kishida’s words, or outright made some of them up. His supposed comments sound really hard to believe; they sound suspiciously like the exact words people such as the author of this article want to hear. Ironically, their website claims to “...stress objectivity in reporting topics of a sensitive nature” in their ethics policy, which is clearly not true in the slightest. There is absolutely no attempt from the author to be objective in the sourced article. Before, I couldn’t dispute this, as I hadn’t played the game yet. Now that I have, it’s easy to see what a complete farce this article is. Relatively speaking, Blue Reflection never had a lot of fanservice, and the sequel is more or less the same. It is clear from some of the transformations and swimsuit costumes that no one on the development team actually cared about toning down the fanservice. If anything were toned down, it would have been to avoid the game being rejected by Sony. From what I understand, that’s not enough to get a game on this list. 

Anyway, the whole reason I wrote all of this was that I’d hate for someone to pass on Blue Reflection: Second Light because of a poorly written article written by the laughing, joking, numbnuts at TheGamer. I think it’s evident from their games that Gust doesn’t care about the supposed “attitudes towards fanservice in the west” pushed by a select group of individuals.

• Like 3

yeah unfortunately the localization people Sega/Atlus use are awful when it comes to accuracy, they bring in their personal life jargon, like for example Yakuza Kiwami 2, the game dialogue sounds like something I would hear in modern day Los Angeles unlike a game that is supposed to take place in 2006 Japan

Edited by The Investigator
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Cave Johnson said:

After playing through most of Blue Reflection: Second Light, I’ve come to believe that it doesn’t belong on this list. Part of that comes from my personal experience with both the sequel and the first game, but more importantly, TheGamer seems to have no credibility whatsoever after doing some digging. They have no Wikipedia page, and seem to have appeared only recently. Their only “claim to fame” (if it could even be referred to as such) is “In 2021, we wrote an extensive expose on workplace abuse at Techland, an oral history on Dragon Age: Origins, and we were the first to report that PlayStation was moving to shut the Vita store down”. They’re also affiliated with Game Rant, which contains some of the worst, low effort, and ill-informed articles I’ve ever read. 

As for the article in question, they claim that Kishida’s comments come from a “roundtable interview with ourselves, Digitally Downloaded, and Twinfinite”, but the link to Digitally Downloaded is dead, and in the Twinfinite interview there is no mention of fanservice at all. I wouldn’t be surprised if TheGamer twisted Kishida’s words, or outright made some of them up. His supposed comments sound really hard to believe; they sound suspiciously like the exact words people such as the author of this article want to hear. Ironically, their website claims to “...stress objectivity in reporting topics of a sensitive nature” in their ethics policy, which is clearly not true in the slightest. There is absolutely no attempt from the author to be objective in the sourced article. Before, I couldn’t dispute this, as I hadn’t played the game yet. Now that I have, it’s easy to see what a complete farce this article is. Relatively speaking, Blue Reflection never had a lot of fanservice, and the sequel is more or less the same. It is clear from some of the transformations and swimsuit costumes that no one on the development team actually cared about toning down the fanservice. If anything were toned down, it would have been to avoid the game being rejected by Sony. From what I understand, that’s not enough to get a game on this list. 

Anyway, the whole reason I wrote all of this was that I’d hate for someone to pass on Blue Reflection: Second Light because of a poorly written article written by the laughing, joking, numbnuts at TheGamer. I think it’s evident from their games that Gust doesn’t care about the supposed “attitudes towards fanservice in the west” pushed by a select group of individuals.

34 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'll defer to you on this since you know much more about these games than I do, so I've removed it from the list. Thanks for taking the time to explain your reasoning. And yeah, I agree that TheGamer is a garbage site. I wouldn't put it past them to have twisted Kishida’s words.

Here's a working link to the Digitally Downloaded preview.

The portion relevant to what you're discussing.

One thing that has changed between the two is the reduced focus on some of the material that was chalked up as “extensive fan service” in the first. Most significantly, the frequent bath and shower scenes that were a common feature in the first Blue Reflection are gone. As to whether those are as “fanservicey” as many considered them to be is actually debatable. As I argued in an essay in last month’s Dee Dee Zine, bathing and showering in Japan have a different cultural resonance (and can, indeed, be a social experience) and seeing “sexualisation” and “fan service” in that is looking at it through a western gaze.

Kishida himself is adamant that the purpose of Blue Reflection – and the body of his work – has never been to be “sexy”. Nonetheless, Gust clearly wanted to dodge a bullet by removing that material Second Light, leaving a game that remains as beautiful and elegantly “fan servicey” as the original, but in such a way that will make it harder for the western media to criticise.

The writer of the preview has a twitter account, so you could reach out to him and ask if the quotes from the other site were misleading or inaccurate.

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

So it turns out the localization coordinator for the re-releases of Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden is a well-known leftist activist on Twitter who has previously bragged about their inaccurate translations and moaned about Young Jump being "gross and sexist" just to list a couple of things.

Boy you weren't kidding!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'll defer to you on this since you know much more about these games than I do, so I've removed it from the list. Thanks for taking the time to explain your reasoning. And yeah, I agree that TheGamer is a garbage site. I wouldn't put it past them to have twisted Kishida’s words.

I forgot to mention that I'd of course be open to any counterarguments (preferably from those who have played the first game more recently), but I doubt many have. 

11 minutes ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

Here's a working link to the Digitally Downloaded preview.

The portion relevant to what you're discussing.

The writer of the preview has a twitter account, so you reach out to him and ask if the quotes from the other site were misleading or inaccurate.

I have to admit that not finding the Digitally Downloaded article was poor investigating on my part. With my 0 followers on Twitter (I never actually tweet anything myself), I doubt I'd get a response. Either way, I'm not sure the author could (or would) say, as it would be akin to throwing the other author under the bus.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

N5uM7Ty.png

I have some critiques for the meme, that being: Kanji was definitely gay in original Japanese text, or at least according to the old Extra Credits video on Persona 4, which was downgraded to heavily implied in translation.

And to my knowledge (and by my knowledge I mean adoring Persona 4 Golden to an unhealthy level and having played it 5 times) the localisation never truly stated that Naoto is transgender while I don't feel confident to speculate on that character's future, within the game at least, their story arc is all about systemic misogyny, saying to beat this herdle is to change one's gender identity makes no real sense to me on a storytelling perspective. However I do see the argument that they are already trans, they use typically male honorifics, wear male clothing, in Japanese they use typically male pronouns (much more than in the English version) and freaked out when they were outed by their shadow. So saying that Naoto is trans isn't the biggest stretch I've seen in localisation.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 2:53 PM, CelestialRequiem said:

So what's the word on the Nioh Collection on PS5? 

In Japan, you're able to buy each game individually. If launched in English settings, does the game still suffer from reduced blood/gore? 

No reduction in blood or gore on the first Nioh in the collection, at least. Both human and yokai enemies get dismembered in the NA version using English settings. I haven't played Nioh 2 yet though.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

14 minutes ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

No reduction in blood or gore on the first Nioh in the collection, at least. Both human and yokai enemies get dismembered in the NA version using English settings. I haven't played Nioh 2 yet though.

Appreciate that, but I'm inquiring about the Japanese versions. 

4 hours ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Appreciate that, but I'm inquiring about the Japanese versions. 

Nioh's Japanese versions (not just PS but also PC) are censored. The gore and dismemberment were added for the West. Headshots from guns or even an arrow will decap enemies in Western versions.

Samurai Shodown Sen is not a PS game (it's on Xbox 360), but still sort of relevant.  While it was made region free, XSEED's USA release of SSS will turn off dismemberment if you play it on a Japanese 360.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

31 minutes ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Nioh's Japanese versions (not just PS but also PC) are censored. The gore and dismemberment were added for the West. Headshots from guns or even an arrow will decap enemies in Western versions.

Samurai Shodown Sen is not a PS game (it's on Xbox 360), but still sort of relevant.  While it was made region free, XSEED's USA release of SSS will turn off dismemberment if you play it on a Japanese 360.

Thank you. I'll refrain from getting the Japanese versions. I want the gore. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Devil May Cry 5 (PS4, PS5) - A lens flare covers female characters butts in certain cutscenes

Source: VG247| Push Square

Region: EU (PS4 & PS5), NA (PS5)

Uncensored Alternative: NA, Xbox One, PC

So this means both NA and EU versions on PS5 are censored?

What about JP and Asia versions? Any info on those?

18 minutes ago, Keiyuu88 said:

So this means both NA and EU versions on PS5 are censored?

What about JP and Asia versions? Any info on those?

Both the PS4 and PS5 versions have always been censored in Europe. Last I heard, the censorship had been added back in for the NA Special Edition, but looking into it now, that could be false. The only discussion I can see about censorship in the Special Edition is this GameFAQ's thread, and someone in there claims it's still uncensored for NA. If anyone's reading this who's played the NA version of Special Edition, feel free to chime in, but for now I think I'll just edit the DMC5 entry so it only includes the EU version being censored. And I believe the censorship of Trish's butt was only for the west. That scene in the JP and Asian versions were never censored as far as I know.

23 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Both the PS4 and PS5 versions have always been censored in Europe. Last I heard, the censorship had been added back in for the NA Special Edition, but looking into it now, that could be false. The only discussion I can see about censorship in the Special Edition is this GameFAQ's thread, and someone in there claims it's still uncensored for NA. If anyone's reading this who's played the NA version of Special Edition, feel free to chime in, but for now I think I'll just edit the DMC5 entry so it only includes the EU version being censored. And I believe the censorship of Trish's butt was only for the west. That scene in the JP and Asian versions were never censored as far as I know.

I'd like to know this as well.

Phantasy Star Online 2 and Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis are finally coming to western PS4's, which of course brings along all the censorship from the international release. Censored Gaming made a video about it a couple of years back where he talks about how you can't make your player character as short as you can in the Japanese version, various scenes where characters were nude are now wearing clothing, and the public bathhouse cutscenes were straight up removed just to name a few things.

I'm not familiar with the game myself, but I had a look around to see if I could find anything else, and I saw mention of the 'Smart Inner' innerwear not being available outside of the Japanese version. The Censorship Wiki page for the game also says that breast physics are disabled during character creation. If any PSO2 players want to chime in and let me know if I missed anything or whatever, then feel free to do so.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

We have arrived at the point where the design of a bench is considered offensive and must be changed. Modern gaming, everyone. 

https://www.sankakucomplex.com/2022/07/04/overwatch-2-alters-immeasurably-offensive-design/

Before & After:
ob4Ri50.jpg IGfIQpX.jpg

I'm sure all the homeless people playing Overwatch 2 will really appreciate the change. 1f60c.png

Any way that news stories can teach people about how evil hostile architecture is, is good in my book.

My town has pointy floors in the tunnels to try and stop homeless people sleeping there and I hate it.

• Like 4