What game did you buy for a ridiculous reason?

charxsetsuna

Not sure if it counts, but I got Dead Space: Ignition from a random thread on a random message board - where some guy just dropped the code out of the blue from his DS2 pre-order.

I bought Renegade Ops (and regret it) purely to support Avalanche Studios after they shipped the amazing Just Cause 2.

I got Need for Speed: Most Wanted on Vita because EA gave it away (for their twentieth anniversary or something).

There's a lot, so I'll list them alphabetically with reasons why bough them & if it was worth it. Here goes:

Game: Dead Space 2: Limited Edition (PS3)

Price: 17 GPB (used, very good condition).

Why? It has Dead Space: Extraction on disc.

Was it worth it? No. It was the cheapest one I could find & 2 days later another seller got the game for 5 GPB. Go figure...

Games: All 5 Spider-Man games for PS3

Prices: Between 20-30 GPB for each game (used, very good condition)

Why? 'cos it's Spider-Man! My favorite super hero!

Was it worth it? Absolutely! Activision lost the licence in 2014, so those games get more & more expensive as the time goes by.

Game: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 5th Anniversary Edition (PS3)

Price: 28 GBP (used, very good condition)

Why? It comes with Making-Of DVD.

Was it worth it? Yes & no. Game is a masterpiece (no trophies, though ?) & DVD is 40 mins. feature. You watch it once & never again...

Game: Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (PS3)

Price: 40 GPB (used, very good condition)

Why: It's a limited edition (I think only 100.000 copies were made).

Was it worth it? Yes & no. Not a bad game (MvC2 is still the best). No Jill & Shuma-Gorath (even though it says "Ultimate'' in the title).

Edited by kenseizenkai
  • Like 2

I've ended up buying the same game four times instead of twice.Ended up being four platinum stacks but I only ever intended to buy it twice.

Many years ago got Puyo Puyo Tetris on PS3 to play with my wife, we played it non stop for about a year. I also then got the Vita version so I could play it on the train, because it is an awesome game, not only that I/we can play it when someone is watching the TV and I was able to boost the online trophies with myself.

But then a year later I got a PS4 and the PS3 unit was kind of taking up space when all I was playing was PS4 mostly, and we also wanted to sit on the sofa wireless and not have the PS3 wired controllers. So sold the PS3 version and got PS4 version. Then proceeded to play this version for a year, happily ever after.

Unfortunately all 3 versions being Japanese, they were from the shop so none of them digital release. It seemed like such a waste of the BluRay Drive having the Puyo disc in the system all the time, plus it was annoying having to take the disc out to watch movies and put it back in, for over a year Puyo Puyo Tetris was the only disc game I had. The disc would suddenly boot up and churn even while playing other games, eventually it was annoying having the disc version.

Then all of a sudden western release announced without warning, BINGO, bought the UK version and thought awesome, I can sell the PS4 Japanese version now. However after a day of playing it and earning various trophies, played it with my wife and the voice overs are horrible. The Japanese voices are much better, so now I have a 4th platinum and am sadly back to disc based PS4 version.

Do I go the full hog and buy Japanese digital? That would be five times! lol

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

I remember I bought the Amazing Spiderman 2 on Xbox one digitally, because it was initially 'accidentally' released on the digital store and they hadn't even confirmed the game was coming to current gen consoles yet, so I paid full RRP for it £54.99, then very quickly realised it was sh*t and only played it for about 30 minutes. To add insult to injury it then got a physical release about a month later. Biggest waste of money....

Also I recently bought a game called Demon's Age for PS4, which was actually cancelled at the last minute due to a copyright claim against the developer, so should never have actually been released, but a handful of phsyical copies ended up in the wild so I picked a couple up (one to play and one to keep sealed on the off chance it ends up being worth $$$ ?). I thought it was an interesting story, haven't actually played the game yet, but no-one has platinumed it so I want to be the first.

I bought "Lost Ember" ONLY for the platinum trophy image which I wanted to have as a milestone.

Anyway! It turned out that it is a really, but really good and enjoyable title, so I do not regret it at all!

Edited by Smashero
  • Like 1

I bought The HD Adventures of Rotating Octopus Character solely because I fell in love with its title. I did enjoy it for a stage or two, but it became frustrating.

I did buy a lot of games just to put them on the shelf (even though if I owned them on another platform or digitally or whatever), for easy trophies and because they were cheap, so lots of stuff like that. But this is very common. How do you even select your next game normally? I bought games solely because of a beloved designer worked on them and found them absolutely trash (I mean look at Shinkawa's Left Alive).

I bought a couple of games just for the first letter of their name including Quest of Dungeons, Volume, Wolfenstein Old Blood, Zone of the Enders etc.

I bought a couple of games just because they're 3 hours or less to Plat or at least i thought so: Mayo, Nero, Deponia, all Powgi games, all Artifex Mundi's games

Did i like thosr games: mostly yes. Excluding Orc Slayer and Albedo

Stormrise on PS3, I bought it cause at that time it was one of the most difficult plats to get, cause the game was apparently straight garbage. But the game was cheap and I had a friend to help me with it (never ended up doing it but hey maybe some day) so I said sure, why not.

And boy let me tell ya, it's a teeeerrible game, just one of the worst experiences I had. It's not that the game doesn't work, it all works, but it's all bad lmao.

I spent $4 on a newly sealed copy of agents of mayhem. I have no interest in it and don't ever intend to play it. The only reason I bought the game was to use the new blu ray case as a replacement for a scratched and scuffed copy of Nier Automata that I got preowned. I plan on switching the cases and trading the game back to Gamestop for probably a few cents ?