How many platinums would you have if "trophy guides" never existed?

realm722

I would likely have the same amount... 

Before trophy guides existed, there were walkthrough guides that were and still are more complete that 99% of the trophy guides that are made nowadays.. So, those would still be perfect to get all platinums.. 

Really, GameFAQs startes in the 90's, if the trophy sites, trophy guides, steam guides and YouTube guides didn't existed, GameFAQs would still be as relevant as it was until about 10-15 years ago as far as game guide content goes. 

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

2 hours ago, Helyx said:

I'd prolly still have all of 'em.

Lol! Good one. :D 

5 hours ago, realm722 said:

Let's say we lived in a horrific alternate reality where nobody was willing to make trophy guides and it was every man for himself in the Playstation trophy landscape.

How many platinums do you believe you would still have? Naturally you could still read the trophy descriptions to figure out what to do.

I personally would go from 80 platinums to easily 30ish - with the vast majority of those plats being sports games (just because I've played them forever and typically know everything I need to do in them at this point) 

Some people think video guides don't count as well, but I took the OP's topic as ALL guides (written and video). So with that in mind, I can say about 10. 

5 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Although, game guides existed well before trophy guides. I had quite a few SNES guides back in the day. 

I'm 35, in other words old enough that I had a subscription to Nintendo Power (a monthly magazine that was all things Nintendo)! Back in the early 90's, before the rise of the internet, those were the only place to find tips and cheat codes and such, aside from buying an expensive game guide made by that particular developer. Until GameFaqs came along!

In all honesty, I use guides mostly for collectibles and even more importantly for the dreaded missable trophies. They are also helpful for when I get stuck on a particular trophy, if I need tips or suggestions. That being said, I'm extremely grateful to those of us who take time out of their day to figure things out and compile nice neat guides for us all to follow. I'm up to 4 guides I've made for this site so far. Granted, 2 of them were pretty easy and could be figured out on their own, but for both Rad and Death Road to Canada, there was barely any info out there period on them, aside from some wiki info. I wanted to save someone else the problem of having to piece it all together like I did!

If such guides didn't exist and I was left to my own devices, I'd easily be 30 plats lighter than I currently am. 

Edited by integra_93GS-R

I'd like to say all of them, or at least vast majority. Even without designated trophy guides there have always been general game guides or walkthroughs of some such. I remember using Gamefaqs.com, and I still do sometimes, as there are plenty of people still writing stuff for games. I've been using Gamefaqs since around 1995, so that's well before trophies and I was using them to uncover all the collectibles or other various hidden gems in games. Then there was all those physical game mags that were out for virtually every game, and they came out at same time with the games. So if you put that into account, those days could in some essence be better off than today. 

Just saying there are more than just some designated trophy guide if you need help. I've obtained lots of my plats before guides were released and still was able to look stuff up. 

I owe a lot to guide writers. Hard to quantify honestly. I can humbly say, however, that I would most likely figure things out on my own if time wasn't an issue. Just love those who like helping others achieve trophies or makes things easier in games. Some good peeps in the gaming community. Cheers to them ?

Living in a world without trophy guides, that would terrible. Anyway, it's hard for me to say the exact number. Maybe 20 or so? Many of them are either easy enough or some of them i've played multiple times that i can do without a guide. And no, i'm not including those quick and easy platinums as those are easy enough.

well the first few years honestly they didnt exist. you would have to go on gamefaqs and discuss in topics certain trophies and hope people had tips on how to do it. also youtube back then didnt allow very long videos. sometimes 3-10 minutes was the max. now you can do 10 hours if you want lol. the guides help, but the amount of platinums are so easy now with games you can complete in a hour

• Like 1

I'd assume less than half of what I have. I've completed a few games without guides, and it can be a real pain to piece information together from around the Internet, while figuring out the missing stuff on your own. Trophy guides have definitely spoiled me.

Edited by ScarecrowsFate

• 3 years later...