Difficulty of this game and it's DLCs

Xatranaz

7 hours ago, Xatranaz said:

I was thinking of playing through this on Hard from the start. Is that a good idea? Would it make the DLC harder or can you change difficulty anytime during the game?

It's doable the only trophy if your going for 100% that gives most people trouble is in a dlc you have to drive a rediculous amount of miles which legitimately will take days nonstop. But there's a glitch most use to fall endlessly through space to rack up miles but still it takes a couple of days of nonstop falling 

Edited by Taliesin_2943

Yes it would be fine to start on hard. This game is pretty easy with a few semi hard parts, but for the most part easy. I would combined getting all the playboys magazines and the misc trophies as well so you won't have to redo any of the game. I then left Wanted Posters as the last thing.  Most of the game consist of a lot of 3rd person cover shooting and driving. So if you have played say a uncharted you will have no problems at all on hard.  And yes you can change the difficulty at anytime if need be but probably won't be necessarily.  What sticks in my mind being the hardest parts is the last chapter because you are all alone shooting hordes of gangsters. But after a few tries and memorize where they spawn at is then pretty simple.   

As for the DLC, all of it can be done on the easy setting, very simple and should only take about 5 hours each. However there is a trophy in the dlc required to drive 1,000 miles, and can takes anywhere from 12-20 hours depending on what way you do it. I would recommend and used driving over and over on central upper bridge. This is the fastest way to get to 1,000 miles. I got it in two 6-7 hour settings this way. There are other way even leaving the game idle but they all take way longer. I've 100 % this on 360, Steam, and PS3 twice (US and Japan version), so i have done the 1,000 miles four times! I can assure you the grind isn't too bad of the one trophy can can be done in about 3-4 days of normal play. Just make sure to have some music, podcast, twitch streams, or youtube videos as it would get boring quick then.  All in all if you want to go for the platinum alone you can easily do it in 5 days to a week. However with the dlc and 1,000 miles i would add about 2-2.5 weeks if played 4 hours a day. I have done the 100 % with DLC in a week though and just the platinum in two days but this is remember almost the whole game and play 5 hours a day. Also another disclaimer there is no way to get the dlc for the Japan lost anymore. However the rest of the world trophy list and the dlc can be gotten via the greatest hits disc in EU and the US.

Have fun with this one. Love the first two Mafia games, they have amazing stories and 2 is one of my favorite games of the six generation!

• Like 4

I can't answer the DLC questions since I never did them but as far as Hard difficulty goes it's not that bad save for a couple of spots. One spot is timed and you don't get much time compared to the lower difficulties but if you cut corners and not bump into anything you can make it. The other being a sort of boss battle near the end of the game however you can cheese it by using a glitch that as far as I know still hasn't been patched. Otherwise it's not that difficult at all so you should be fine.

5 hours ago, Xatranaz said:

I was thinking of playing through this on Hard from the start. Is that a good idea? Would it make the DLC harder or can you change difficulty anytime during the game?

Played on an alt. Hard isn't hard, I don't recall if it effected the DLC but even it it had, you're not gonna be too bothered by it. Looking at your profile you've played MUCH harder games than this for sure. IMO you will be fine. The game is more grindy than difficult, a lot of the trophies provoke a huge time sink investment which may frustrate if you reach the end of the game with only half of the requirements but I don't recall a point where I thought something was too hard.

if I absolutely had to say a trophy was difficult it would be "Out For Justice" they aren't very kind with checkpoint placement. For the DLC just check a trophy guide and the tips should breeze you through it.

I just went back and decided to complete the DLC late last year. Basically, difficulty will only matter for Jimmy's Vendetta DLC, IF you choose NOT to use the driving glitch.

I decided to do it without the glitch, and yes, it took somewhere between 10-15 hours of just driving back and forth over the highway while watching YouTube videos ?

The reason it matters if you don't use the glitch, which I wish I had have actually researched before I started, is that the trophy for 1 Million Points is pretty much unobtainable on lower difficulty settings. This is because you get bonus points for harder difficulty, and only the highest score counts, so you can't just replay missions and add the entire score to the total. The scores for all the missions will most likely not be high enough to amass 1 Mill (I think I finished on about 650k, then needed to do a replay on Hard just for the 1 Mill trophy).

...If however you use the glitch, apparently, according to guides, the constant acceleration bonus adds up to 1 Mill "environment points" in about 3-4 hours.

I did the whole lot of Joe's Adventure DLC on Easy.

Edit: I should point out, the DLC are different selections from the Main Menu, and there are different save files for each, so you can choose different difficulties for the main game and each DLC story.

Tl;dnr: Play the main game on Hard ("Tough Nut" trophy), Joe's Adventure on Easy and depending on whether you choose to use the glitch or not, Jimmy's Vendetta on Easy (with glitch) or Hard (without glitches)

Edited by masdawg1988

Thanks guys for your input. Least i can change the difficulty after the main story if certain parts of the DLC are difficult.

6 hours ago, Asmund89 said:

Looking at your profile you've played MUCH harder games than this for sure. IMO you will be fine. 

Just out of curiosity what games do you think i played are much harder than this? ☺️ 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Xatranaz said:

Thanks guys for your input. Least i can change the difficulty after the main story if certain parts of the DLC are difficult.

Just out of curiosity what games do you think i played are much harder than this? 263a.png 

Hustle Kings, Twisted Metal, Bad Company (especially your online stuff), Batman Arkham Knight, BlazBlue, Drawn To Death, The King of Fighters XII, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (wasn't hard, but it's harder than Mafia 2), I didn't really look through your Uncharted but if you've ever played ANY of them on Crushing or Higher difficulty those are all harder than this. But, yah all IMO. LOL

Nothing in Mafia II is difficult.

The issue I had with this game was the DLC was blatantly tacked on. Some of the missions in both DLCs were more frustrating than anything I had in the base game. Was also a bit boring, especially grinding out those 1000 miles which ended up taking me a good 10 - 20 hours on it's own.

But overall I really enjoyed the game. Loved the story and the cast. Loved Vito and his best friend going on missions together and hearing their banter. Enjoyed the time period and setting the game took place in.

The graphics are dated... but I probably wouldn't mind stacking this, if they ever remaster this game.

• Like 3

On 2/29/2020 at 9:50 AM, Spaz said:

Nothing in Mafia II is difficult.

The issue I had with this game was the DLC was blatantly tacked on. Some of the missions in both DLCs were more frustrating than anything I had in the base game. Was also a bit boring, especially grinding out those 1000 miles which ended up taking me a good 10 - 20 hours on it's own.

But overall I really enjoyed the game. Loved the story and the cast. Loved Vito and his best friend going on missions together and hearing their banter. Enjoyed the time period and setting the game took place in.

The graphics are dated... but I probably wouldn't mind stacking this, if they ever remaster this game.

Rumor is a remastered version is in the works.  Hopefully the DLC issues will be straighten out.