Not worth trying to platinum

damilesman

7 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

This thread makes it sound like this game is much harder than it is. Out of the 19 minigames, the only ones that really take practice are Pool and Batting Cages. Otherwise, this isn't very difficult (although it is long). Both of them can be done with practice. I spent like 3 hrs in batting cages and 5 on pool, but it never felt impossible.

Edit: It's also worth noting that getting the exposed dragon trophy is pure luck.

Yeah, the main brick wall of this game is Minigame Master and while I’m certainly stressing over the completion requirements, it definitely doesn’t seem impossible

On 4/24/2020 at 11:55 PM, madrabbit1485 said:

Do you really mean this?

I'm losing my mind over Puyo puyo on Judgment...if Y3 is even harder to plat than I don't think I'll even try.

I have plats for Y0, YK1 and YK2...but Judgment is making me start to give up trophy hunting.

PuyoPuyo is just nuts... Are you trying the 'pile up the right side' strategy? I was somehow able to do it with that after several hours of trying, but you need to be lucky as HECK.

On 7/21/2020 at 11:03 AM, sepheroithisgod said:

This thread makes it sound like this game is much harder than it is. Out of the 19 minigames, the only ones that really take practice are Pool and Batting Cages. Otherwise, this isn't very difficult (although it is long). Both of them can be done with practice. I spent like 3 hrs in batting cages and 5 on pool, but it never felt impossible.

Edit: It's also worth noting that getting the exposed dragon trophy is pure luck.

A little luck is needed, since there’s no cheat items. Once I got a triple dragon, all I had to do was steal.

Edited by FearElemental

• 5 months later...
On 03/03/2020 at 5:34 AM, damilesman said:

This topic is to warn people who are considering going after the platinum for this game.  It's just not worth it.  Somehow, they screwed up the pool minigame to the point where it is virtually impossible to win.  About a quarter of the time, the cue ball will randomly decide not to follow the trajectory that is shown.  I've spent dozens of hours trying to complete this one minigame, but unless you read trigonometry books for fun, you're going to have a hard time.

Yeah, the pool is indeed annoying, and I've spent over like 8-10 hours range just for Pool completions but it is not impossible. One thing I realized when going for Yakuza platinums is that whether you're too comfortable with a certain minigame or not, you just need time and patience for handling them. In Yakuza 0, I was complaining about Koi-koi and in 3 it was Pool, Golf and Darts were no exception (surprisingly Mahjong wasn't a big deal in my part because of having a somewhat similar game called Okey in our culture which I sucked at at the time lol) because how different they felt from my previous experiences but with enough patience (this is the crucial part) everything is possible IMO. Yakuza 3 Remastered is longer from the western version of PS3 release and slightly harder (because of Pool sensitivity and Mahjong in particular) but don't make that discourage you, just keep trying over and over again until you clear what you're working on.

Edited by XxIsa-GxX

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are having trouble, you can somewhat consistently go for the Exposed Dragon trophy as long as you understand how to do the All Simples hand. This is a hand where you simply don't have any 1s, 9s or honor (every not numbered) tiles. Just keep discarding your 1s and 9s and forming exposed hands by stealing tiles. This combined to the fact that you can also win by having one triplet of dragons or your seat/round winds, makes this even easier.

Of course the trophy is still luck based, but knowing this makes it waaaay less painful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2020 at 5:59 AM, abhinandhan22 said:

Didn't even bother attempting the plat in Yakuza 0 and don't plan on going for any of the plats in any of the games when I play them all some day. Personally can't spend hours mastering side activities(majong etc) in a video game. After MP trophies, those are my most hated trophies in a game. Managed to plat things like AC3,RDR and RDR2 with relative ease but I hear the yakuza ones need a lot of dedication 

True, but it’s split over the games a bit. I stopped my Zero attempt due to mahjong, then came back 3 years later, learnt it, loved it, and it was some of the firsts things I did in K1 and K2 as it’s such a fun game. Finished the requirements off fast. Same for most of the other mini games.

Still, if what I hear about 3 is true in the remaster, I can see myself going another 3 years on this one, lol. Patience really isn’t my strong suit.

I've just platted this and I can wholeheartedly say it is definitely worth trying to plat. It's one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long time. Agree with XxIsa-GxX, there are some moments that are tough for sure but perserverence and patience will see you through. Minigame master was the most annoying with pool taking the longest for me. The batting cages were relatively straightforward by comparison. 

The pool aside, which probably took about 12 hours all in, no specific challenge in the game took longer than a handful of hours to complete. Just takes time to understand patterns etc. For the pool I played the expert guy first and worked backwards. Easier for me to get the big one out the way first and play a bit more casually after that. Same for darts. 

Loved the card games and Mahjong which are easy once you get the hang of them. 

In summary, this game was too enjoyable for me not to plat it and the great moments far outweighed the small annoyances. 

Artty44.png

• Like 2

So far the most annoying thing for me is actually the tedium of the combat. The constant blocking on hard. In chapter 4 now, and going to try to over level with the money/booze cheese, but was almost tempted to switch to a 3 playthrough run, figuring the golden gun etc would help getting through hard and extra hard much more quickly and with less frustration.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

57 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

So far the most annoying thing for me is actually the tedium of the combat. The constant blocking on hard. In chapter 4 now, and going to try to over level with the money/booze cheese, but was almost tempted to switch to a 3 playthrough run, figuring the golden gun etc would help getting through hard and extra hard much more quickly and with less frustration.

This is true, the amount of blocking street thugs do is outrageous. Early game I had to grab them with the circle button to even be able to damage them. Once you get combos which break blocks, it becomes more doable.

Edited by Asimb0mb

1 hour ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Dude, you should cheese your way through the whole game with flying headbutts and Komaki's satisying counter punch, it makes this game so much fun and so satisying.

That punch has the coolest noise and impact in all of gaming, well to me anyway.

Aside from some of the battle arena fights where you have weapons you can't put down, you can do this throughout the whole game. Finish Komaki's training to get it and then let rip!

Start every battle holding down R1 and keeping your thumb near Triangle. Get near and enemy and try kicking them, never let go of R1. If it connects or they block it don't worry just keep button mashing.

Eventually they will try to attack back and when they do, you'll almost always counter with Komaji's awesome counter punch, which knocks them flying and tons of damage. I mean, it's as strong as a heat action and on top of that, connecting with this punch fills up a heat action. On a boss in super form, you can often get 2 or 3 super punches in before they knock you away, don't worry about getting hit or trying to block. Just stand back up and try again with R1 and Triangle.

When you have a heat action, sidestep left or right near your opponent by double tapping X and then press Triangle. You'll do that flying headbutt that King from Tekken is pretty famous for using.

This move is great because you can literally use it absolutely anywhere in the game and it has no special conditions, providing you don't have a weapon equipped. It's often the only heat action you can even do in arena battles.

Yes, so just do that. Use your heat action sidestep X, X, Triangle if you have it, and if you don't have any heat, R1+Triangle spam at an enemy until you knock them flying.

In the arena battles playing properly, enemies block your attacks all the time and even when you hit, the damage is like chip damage. It's totally riduclous.

But using Komaki's punch does like 800% damage and immediately fills up one heat action afterwards, you'll have tons of fun smashing your way through the game. It's way overpowered, but because of that you'll feel a higher sense of satisfaction, especially when you smash through a round in the arena in under 20 seconds when it used to do take you about 3 minutes.

On bosses, you'll probably want to keep R1 held down and do Dark Souls style side stepping, keeping quite close and trying to lure them out to do an attack on you.

I guarantee you'll have loads more fun this way. I could play the combat in Yakuza 3 all day trying to bait the enemies into attacking you.

The minigames though are insanely hard, I will definitely pass on those. lol

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Dude, you should cheese your way through the whole game with flying headbutts and Komaki's satisying counter punch [...]Get near and enemy and try kicking them, never let go of R1. If it connects or they block it don't worry just keep button mashing.

Haven’t got far enough to have these moves yet, but sounds like a plan. In fact the R1 + triangle mash tactic was the only way I could beat the zombie Majima climax battle in Kiwami 1, so I’m familiar.

Being the first Yakuza released on the PS3 in a new engine (at the time) it has definitelty not aged well, especially the combat, I also agree it is the hardest one to plat, I quit on the infamous pool minigame back in the day.

Just like the majority of these games, you really need a lot of time, patience, and tad of luck to reach the final goal, if you do get frustated, always take a break and go for other games in the meantime.

Pool has always been that way in the series, it was only recently (As in, 0 and K1) where it didn't pocket the entire table within two turns or thereabout. All you have to do is be patient, make smart hits, and get a bit lucky with the AI. It will take potentially a dozen hours but you only need one good run on Rotation and Eight-Ball as you can cheese Nine-Ball and even then it shouldn't take more than a few hours for both. There's also times where the AI will miss at least three or more times. The ruler trick helps a lot with determining distance and with how many times you replay the minigame you'll learn how to freehand some of the more precarious shots.

In general the Remastered version feels far easier in every minigame with the exception of bowling compared to the original, and the only reason bowling is harder is because the higher framerate broke it. The annoying things are still hard like Easy and Ex-Hard baseball, Advanced darts, and Expert pool, but overall it feels far more fair with the minigames than I recall. Not sure if that's due to being used to them or due to the framerate change but regardless, it's nowhere near as frustrating as it was on PS3.

Edited by soliunasm

37 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I hate Koi Koi so much.

Tedious RNG fest.

RNG definitely plays a huge part in the game, but Koi Koi is a lot about knowing the hands and the deck, and being able to stop hands from even forming. 
For example, if the CPU is going for red poems, and you have a choice between playing a plum blossom or a cherry blossom, play the plum - in case they have the red poem cherry blossom in their hand. Strategy in Koi Koi is extremely subtle and is all about stacking odds in your favor a tiny bit at a time.

• Like 1

Got Pool, Darts and Baseball completion with a drifting joystick ??

Apply the ruler trick to Pool and the blu-tack trick in Baseball. In Bowling... pray, doesn't matter if you are an atheist.

Edited by Katt
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jCiaeJ6tNKvYxiVxsyXkLEcY-j7hBxfI/view?usp=sharing

Hey everyone I made an account to help anyone who may still be struggling with the pool minigame. I was able to breeze through all the difficulties rather quickly, about 4 hours for all difficulties, after making a really simple way to keep the joystick from moving. Basically take 2 screws and put them into some wood and a rubber band. Put the right joystick between the screws and the rubberband around both screws but dont wrap it around the joystick and it will keep all your aiming mostly steady.

Edited by LucidDK

• 8 months later...

Hi guys,

seriously, dont desesperate on this one. Minigame Master has some requeriments and are very tough, and some minigames are pretty screwed, but is perfectly doable. The worst by far is pool, because of the insanely merciless AI, but you can win with patience and understanding how the sensibility works, at least in Y3R. You have to pull the stick straight, do it with your index and your thumb, it will make it easier.

Darts is a bit tricky too, different from Y0 or K1, but is pretty doable. Aim always for Triple20 and hold the stick s little bit before release it (Kiryu will adjust his hand). Then you know you got it. Like pool, pull it back straight.

Batting works exactly the same that in K1, the only difference is it requires 1800 in all instead of 1600, but works the same. Hard and Normal are pretty easy (you can miss like 8 balls in normal, and aiming for double panels in hard is easy). The only problem is Ex-hard, because most of the balls are very fast. I recomend you to do it at the same time you watch a video, so you can go forward and be prepared for the incoming ball. Its doable.

Golf will take some time, overall to learn about the wind and where to hit the ball (if the wind is green, hit it in the bottom, a little bit at the bottom if its yellow and nothing if its red). Use L3 to use bid view to see where you aim, and try to aim before the hole. The first 3 holes in championship are easy, and its easy to score a -3 (even -4 if youre lucky) in them. There is a couple of holes that ae PAR5 and getting an Eagle in them is very doable. Try to keep at least a PAR in the rest. The final objective is end with -5.

Bowling is easier than it looks. Follow this video, and you will achieve it in less than 20 min (works perfectly for the remastered version, I dunno for PS3 ver)

The rest of the minigames are just annoying, or old known. UFO catcher requieres 25 toys and some are too big to be catched, so you have to make them lay with the hook before. Boxcelios is a pain in the ass at the beginning, but when you get used to it is doable (get always to the right and it will be easier to aim). The massage is a bit tricky, but the secret is keeping in the orange area (you score more points in the red areas, yes, but is much more risky and the massages arre long enough to make the objective points possible. And the rest, works like in the rest of the saga (Blackjack, poker, cee-lo, cho-han, etc…). Just use the cheat items.

Shogi is the easiest, just repeat challenge 1. And grind mahjong in the begginer table with 25k chips at the beginning, and activate the red dora option and half game (the target is achieve 50k before the game set a winner, its easier with half game than quarter, cuz you have more rounds).

Edited by Galserik

• 2 months later...

the mini game master trophy is one thing that stop me from buying this triology remaster when it onsale, remember how painful i need to go through to get it back then on PS3, i don't want to go through it again ?

and one game in minigame master that i hate the most is pool, it was horrible when you need to do it on the hardest difficulty as your opponent make nearly perfect shot everytime you give it a chance, not sure how i can beat it back then, purely luck

Edited by ShariusTC

3 hours ago, ShariusTC said:

the mini game master trophy is one thing that stop me from buying this triology remaster when it onsale, remember how painful i need to go through to get it back then on PS3, i don't want to go through it again 1f613.png

and one game in minigame master that i hate the most is pool, it was horrible when you need to do it on the hardest difficulty as your opponent make nearly perfect shot everytime you give it a chance, not sure how i can beat it back then, purely luck

WOW! Not just avoiding one game, but Imagine not buying an entire series of games out of about 7 or 8, because the 3rd part in the series has one trophy that is too difficult for you.

That's some dedication to avoiding having fun in gaming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

WOW! Not just avoiding one game, but Imagine not buying an entire series of games out of about 7 or 8, because the 3rd part in the series has one trophy that is too difficult for you.

That's some dedication to avoiding having fun in gaming.

i didn't said i don't buy the game, please read it again, i said i don't want to go through it again because i already did it on PS3