What's your favorite JRPG and why?

GilgaMax305

Hey what's up gamers just wanted to ask what's your favorite JRPG and why you favor it so much? You can go into complete detail if you wish I would just like to know. My Favorite JRPG at the moment is NI no Kuni :D Sooooooooo what's yours? And it doesn't have to be a PS3 game too :)

To be honest with all of you I have a lot of favorite JRPGS but the list would just go on FOREVER xD lol 

Edited by DEVILKIDGAME15
  • Like 3

This is a very hard question...

Is this PS3 specific?

On PS1 = Final Fantasy 9

On PS2 = Final Fantasy 12 and Dragon Quest 8

On PSP = Star Ocean

On PS3 = Ni No Kuni... but Tales of Xillia is creeping up on it fast

On Vita = Disgaea 3

If you are talking PS3 ONLY = The reason why i loved Ni No Kuni so much is because the story is VERY touching... you get emotionally attached to all the characters and want to help Oliver save his mother... the monsters fighting with you are an added bonus.  The game play and battle system is unique but somewhat familiar... it was a perfect mixture and i give it a personal score of 10/10... and with it being in the #1 spot for weeks after it released, i don't feel like its an exaggerated score, lol...

If we are talking favorite OVERALL = It would be a close tie between Final Fantasy 12 and Ni No Kuni but i think FF12 would come out on top... I don't remember any game giving me the same feeling as i had with Final Fantasy 12... it was one of the first open style worlds with an MMO style battle system that i ever played and I played the heck out of it... Im hoping for an HD remake of it... i would lock myself in my man cave and you wouldn't see me for about 150 hours, lol

I like these questions because its all based on opinion and experience and there is no wrong answer... that way no one can harass me about liking FF12 so much, lol...

Edited by Pigburkulosis
  • Like 2

Final Fantasy IX (even if my love of Kefka may fool some to think otherwise :P), but there are way too many great ones *_* Ni No Kuni is a top contender on my list too :)

As for why FFIX - among the many reasons are the characters, the style, the setting, the optional content (though I didn't much care for Excalibur II xD), the news about it I read in advance to the release (however, having basically no knowledge of computers, the internet or big gaming magazines at the time, my first image of FFIX was Bobby Corwen in a Finnish "Pelit" - magazine), and of course the fun experience I had while eventually playing it ^^ Bonus points go to the co-op feature for battles, got to play with my brother and friends a bit.

• Like 2

FFIX rocks my world too (always sucked at the rope-jumping, though).

Still, there's actually two greatest JRPGs in the world, FFVI and Chrono Trigger. They pretty much share the no.1 spot on my best JRPG/Game Overall list.

Everything's perfect in both of those games. The opening in FFVI has got to be the greatest ever, anywhere. And Kefka, well, he does NOT look like a waiter...

Best thing about Chrono Trigger to me is its absolutely beautiful soundtrack. The Overworld theme might be the single most awesome thing created since Dr. Pepper.

Excuse me, I have to go and kick Siegfried's butt in the Colosseum  :ninja:

• Like 1

PlayStation 1 - Final Fantasy VIII and VII

PlayStation 2 - Final Fantasy X, Shadow Hearts, Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga

PlayStation 3 - Catherine, Still need to check out Ni No Kuni and Tales of Xillia, I'm sure they will be the top ones this generation for me. 

Vita - Persona 4 Golden

Notable mentions - Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360) 

• Like 1

Best thing about Chrono Trigger to me is its absolutely beautiful soundtrack. The Overworld theme might be the single most awesome thing created since Dr. Pepper.

A time travel story done right, 10+ endings, deep characters engaging story at all times, simple but deep combat system.

I don't really care about anyone says about it but its about the only japanese role playing game I can start 25 times and still not get tired.

Chrono Trigger is my all time fave JRPG.

• Like 3

earthbound(mother2)is and always be my top favorite,story and dialog was just too hilarious i have never laughed so much playing a game that had no voice work, final fantasy 7 despite i know how  cliche' it is really started me into the FF series, and odin sphere was such a fresh take on RPG genre that doesnt get credit i think it deserves

• Like 1

so much love for FFIX lol but honestly 9 is my fav for ps1 as well I still have my greatest hits copy ^^ I mean seriously who here doesn't love Beatrix and Blank they're so badass too bad you don't keep them T.T

for ps2 I'll say Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria because seriously the females in that game are ridiculous O_O that game proved to me that female characters can be ridiculously strong and sexy at the same time (stares and Freya and Valkyrie >.>)

for ps3 guess I'll say Star Ocean as well believe it or not I like the battle system on that game a little more than Tales and Arumat is a badass...Dragon Roar! Meracle ^^ my main in that game plus (Myuria is hot >.>)

• Like 1

My favorite JRPG of all time is Chrono Trigger.

It was the first story in a JRPG that made me feel for the characters and it was also the first battle system that didn't feel like a grindfest to me.

I love alot of JRPG but Chrono Trigger will always be the best to me.

• Like 2

earthbound(mother2)is and always be my top favorite,story and dialog was just too hilarious i have never laughed so much playing a game that had no voice work, final fantasy 7 despite i know how  cliche' it is really started me into the FF series, and odin sphere was such a fresh take on RPG genre that doesnt get credit i think it deserves

Don't forget its atmosphere eartbound's setting and mood are unlike anything.

• Like 1

Hmm...that's a tough one :hmm:

My favorite has to be FFVI.

The game has so many great characters that it's hard to pick a favorite.

You have the following:

The Thief with a Heart of Gold (Locke)

The Wise Old Sage (Strago)

With his spunky Granddaughter (Relm)

The Gambler (Setzer)

A King who's a ladies man (Edger)

And his strong man brother (Sabin)

A Noble Warrior (Cyan)

A strange,but kind boy(Gau)

The Ninja with his trusty dog (Shadow)

A Former enemy who becomes a great ally (Celes)

And A Woman born from Two Worlds (Terra)

I could name more,but the list is long xD

Plus,it has one of,if not the best villians in FF history (Kefka)

Second favorite would be Final Fantasy X

For the same reasons I love FFVI (the characters are great)

FFX I believe was the last FF game to have a great cast of characters.

The story was great too.

If you're wondering,Relm of FFVI and Rikku of FFX are my favorite characters :D

Edited by wolverinefangirl

I can't really decided on the top favorite, so I'll distribute in some original ways...

Favorite JRPG because of main antagonist: Final Fantasy XIII-2 (dat Caius)

Favorite (S)JRPG because of how awesome it is and how unknown it is: Super Robot Wars (whole series)

Favorite JRPG because of the story: Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (dem feels)

Favorite JRPG because of its coolness: Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition: Dante's Awakening

Favorite JRPG because of being one of the few games to scare me: Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes Of Lagaard (dem FOEs)

• Like 1