What is region stacking?

X_RaceKing_X

This might be a n00b question, but since I've taken a break from video games I notice regions and stacking them is more common. I didn't find a topic on here or a direct answer elsewhere.

How do I stack a game, (the game's platinum trophy), when the game has multiple different regions with separate trophy lists? As well as different console versions, ex. PS4 and VITA.

Lets take Foxyland for an example. This game has 3 regions, (NA, EU, and AS). As well as the VITA version with the same regions. 

• If I buy the NA version because that is where I'm from, do I get the VITA version for free?
  • Between the NA version of PS4 and VITA, if I complete one game on one system, does the game auto-pop trophies on the other?
  • Do I get the other regions of the game for free since I bought one or do I need to buy each region specific game seperately?

Another big question is how do I get multiple different regions of a game? 

• Do I need a separate account for each region?

I think I know that if you buy one regions game, you get the other version for free, either PS4 or VITA whichever you bought the game first on. 

For someone who doesn't buy easy games for plats, let alone has multiple accounts to buy other region specific trophy lists. Setting up the process is what I'm trying to understand. I don't see the point of buying multiple versions of the same game just to play it over and over for the same platinum.

Thanks for feedback if you have any, I just want to know how to do it and if it's even cost effective/efficient.

17 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

It depends on the game

Typically if you buy a game in NA its not crossbuy, sometimes it is but you have to look on the store and see if it says crossbuy on it.

Hope this helps ya

That helped a lot! Thanks! 

I just fail to understand why people go crazy with region stacking if you have to buy the game again and play it over just for a plat. I only stacked Sound Shapes because I had to buy the game once and I got the other versions for free from my region. Then the cross save feature saved me some time. 

Sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through just to region stack. 

3 minutes ago, X_RaceKing_X said:

I just fail to understand why people go crazy with region stacking if you have to buy the game again and play it over just for a plat. I only stacked Sound Shapes because I had to buy the game once and I got the other versions for free from my region. Then the cross save feature saved me some time. 

It's not that difficult to come up with reasons for it. It's usually to inflate platinum/trophy/UR count easily. Also replaying a game is more fun when you're earning trophies, and some people don't mind paying for an extra copy of the game.

Also not that long ago PSNP implement a series feature (which was already a thing for a while on another tracking site) so i'm sure some people aim to complete this for their favourite franchises: https://psnprofiles.com/series/185-earth-defense-force/xZoneHunter.

• Like 4

People usually region stack to stay high on the current PSNP leaderboards/boost platinum count and it is pretty much a mandatory requirement if you're chasing the top for amount of platinums earned. Another reason is stacking to complete all versions of a series for all regions of their favorite game. Other than that, it has no real value and I don't know anyone that stacks games for any other purpose. I do know people who buy games from other regions that aren't available in their own region (at all). Like Japanese only games or something, but that's totally okay. 

Most people I know who stack buy those currency cards on various third party sites that they redeem on the account they're using to buy JP games or such. 

It's a pretty big debate if stacking should count or not (for the leaderboards). Currently it does. In my opinion though I really don't think it should, unless the versions have different content all together/different trophy lists which would warrant the versions being separate. 

For the top trophy hunters they trade games on sites like ps3imports, so that they don't have to carry the burden of buying all the games by themselves. Game trading is a pretty big thing once you're chasing the top ranks.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, X_RaceKing_X said:

It’s usually those who (A) want a big trophy count with little effort required or (B) those in the top 50 on the leaderboard want to increase or maintain their current rank.

• Like 1

I know that people that hunt hard for trophies love that they can stack games like this, I guess I don't get why developers split up the lists so much. They obviously know they can make some quick cash by pumping out a game that took little resources to make, hence it's easy to play through and finish, while the player earns an easy plat which is what they want from buying the game. That's why the lists get split up so much and not offer cross buy feature. Sounds a little ridiculous but I love hearing trophies pop just as much as the next guy 

2 hours ago, X_RaceKing_X said:

There can be a lot of reasons for it.  One big reason is just really loving a series and it comes out in one region first and then takes years to come out in your region.  Very common with more niche JRPGs.  I bought Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4 at release in Japan and got the plats.  When 3 came out last year in NA, I bought that and platted it as well because I wanted to play the game in English too.  This also can happen with EU players where they'll import a NA version to get the game in English if EU gets an even more delayed release, but they may buy the EU version later to show support for the game being released in their region.

Sometimes it can also be a case of getting a copy for a different region is easier.  When Steins;Gate first came out, it was actually less expensive for me to get a EU version than a NA version.  If I had PS Plus, I could have gotten a NA stack for free later.

Another thing can be the game gets a re-release on a newer console and they don't own the old console.  Or they could have sold the game and decided to buy again and grabbed another region so they can get trophies again.

And sometimes it can just be love for the game and they seriously enjoy playing it that many times.  I bought the PS4 version of Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana after platting the Vita version because I just love the game and I feel its a waste of time to replay without working on another plat/100% and I was curious about the PS4 additions (I've also bought copies of games on Steam to play again with some games)

And then there are some rare people that just buy games to pad out their total platinums.  Those people are more rare, but they definitely exist.  Most of the time multiple stacks and regions are bought out of love for the game or wanting it on a newer console.  Some games even get good enough sales that buying on multiple consoles even without cross buy is pretty cheap.  Also there are a lot of cross buy easy plats, like the Pic-A-Pix games and POWGI games.  You get the PS4 and Vita versions with one purchase, but just your region's stacks.  If I get multiple stacks of a game, I'll eventually get the plats in all stacks.

considering ive bought gta 3/vc/sa and re4, final fantasy and other games multiple times in the past, thats nothing new to me, i like to go back to games now and then and another list is just another incentive to do it, dont bother with those 5 min plats though.

• 1 year later...

Been wondering about this topic and it got me to this post. My opinion for trophy stacking; it should not be counted on the leader boards; it seems pointless and doesn't do anything for the competetive nature behind the spirit of gamers. The reason for this, it transforms an achievement into a mindless number, it loses it's uniqueness along the way pushing the absurdity of quantity over enjoyment into a new superlative; except for games with different versions which is kinda fine. But buying the same game multiple times for a higher number is simply scrutinizing your experience with the product. If you love something, you do not abuse it, you cherish it while going through the process.

I can't imagine the superiority complex and obssesion that develops into one's mind chasing a cloud, going through so much repetition to stay relevant on a list, artificially kept alive by wasting countless hours on the same thing instead of creating a new memory, or experience instead. It's a vicious cycle, the absolution of boredom, the resignation of versatility, the death of enjoyment.

As Vas would put it; doing the same thing again and again is the definition of insanity. 

• Like 2