Trophy Thoughts?

1 hour ago, PS_4Trophies said:

I love this conversation. You're thinking from the development side and I'm thinking from the end user experience, interpreting the trophy. What you said is 100% true and is great inside baseball for people although I still like my method of fixing it by sweeping the dirt under the rug

I think changing the text might still leave a few people confused.

I can think of a clean solution though.

It would be to trigger a save each time a side mode is played, this way even if you just started the mode popped the trophy and closed the game, it would have saved.

I think at this point I will hold off on any further patches until after launch.

That way if any more issues pop up for people I can address them all in one patch.

Since this is a relatively small impact situation, I feel it is OK to leave for now.

Keep the feedback coming.

Always happy to hear your take Brian!

edit:

This would also trigger the trophy  'I Get Around' on the start of a side mode if that was the last requirement for it to pop, avoiding confusion there.

Edited by breathofwater

9 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

So is anyone else finding this really pretty tough? I'm done the first playthrough and NG+, with most miscellaneous trophies completed.

I have 18/20 S ranks, and don't see that being tough. I probably have about 30 A ranks.

I assume that to unlock all the codex an A or above is needed in every level. @breathofwaterPerhaps lowering the score for A ranks just a touch might be worth considering. The 20 S ranks is quite obtainable and still represents a challenge. I wouldn't want to see this become silly easy, but I think there may be a bit of an issue with balance on a few levels.

A few of the levels, especially the late 20's are really tough. I'm struggling with the 4 paddles as it's a bit of a mind twist, but the physics in particular in these levels feels really off.

As an example, the ball will bounce off the side paddle, and be moving left to right and hit the bottom paddle at a 45 degree angle. It should rebound off at approximately 45 degrees, and continue to the right - but often it inexplicably will do a 180 and go off back to the left? Why?

This is making some of these levels really hard, especially when you have only a few bricks left. It seems that the only way to succeed is to get lucky and get an early heavy ball, especially if you get multiball and 2x in short order with the heavy ball.

But this doesn't seem to reward skill, but rather luck.

I'm still enjoying the game, but I wondering if others have noted the difficulty spike and wonky physics in these levels?

I completely agree. I have only finished the game once and Initially i was trying my best to replay each mission whenever i failed to get a S rank but as i got to the stages with 4 paddles,even finishing the level became hard for me and the times i got A ranks in those levels were mostly because of luck over skill. 

1 hour ago, diskdocx said:

As an example, the ball will bounce off the side paddle, and be moving left to right and hit the bottom paddle at a 45 degree angle. It should rebound off at approximately 45 degrees, and continue to the right - but often it inexplicably will do a 180 and go off back to the left? Why?

Hey, I was just discussing this a bit.

The ball will bounce off the paddle based on the positioning of the paddle vs the position of the ball.

If the ball were to react physics appropriately and not based on positioning of the paddle you would end up removing player involvement to a large degree.

Essentially the ball would always take the same pattern no matter where you hit it with the only player input being if you hit or miss the ball.

I think the approach I took is pretty standard in terms of how brick breakers handle game play.

Not trying to dismiss your feedback just explaining my thought process.

I imagine the idea of using a rounded almost triangle like paddle would have conveyed this well/solved the issue of a flat surface reflection something to think about for #2 perhaps.

Having a paddle that was curved like this would result in a similar reflection pattern to what you see now even when using non position based reflections, but would make more sense to the eye.

• Like 3

After playing for an hour or two I definitely wouldn’t be surprised if this is a more uncommon plat than expected. If you’re not into brick-breakers I can easily see people getting frustrated with this, especially once 4 paddles are in play. I’m pretty much playing for trophies at this point. Glad to support Colin though.

I'm stuck on level 27 and it seems it is literally impossible. There are no pickups that drop and no matter how quickly i finish with health the top store I get is around 1100. This is going to break me!

Edit: I post this and finally get it. Took 3 hours on level 27!

Edited by davezer

This is actually a pretty tough game. The collectibles are what is killing it for me. You have to get a great score on every single level and some of the levels are really tough. I just have to play them over and over until I get an early heavy ball or fire ball. I was on course for one of the first platinums on Tuesday but these last few trophies have been an absolute grind where I'm just playing the same levels over and over again to get the required score. I wouldn't want the challenges nerfed, they are what they are and I don't like easy platinums anyway but anyone who goes into this thinking its a 5 hour platinum like the guide says might be in for a rude awakening. 

In terms of feedback though for future patches I would like to suggest adding a confirm screen before you opt not buy a life. I can't count the amount of times I have accidently not selected yes when I have been heart-breakingly close to completing a level/getting the required score.

• Like 2

I'm just glad to see people not thinking it's 5hr plat too. Thought I was the only one who couldn't wrap my head around 4 paddles. Might have to try one level a day and slowly work on it. Otherwise I will definitely end up getting frustrated. Nevertheless definitely enjoyed playing it through the first time.

• Like 1

On 2020-03-26 at 2:22 PM, breathofwater said:

Hey, I was just discussing this a bit.

The ball will bounce off the paddle based on the positioning of the paddle vs the position of the ball.

If the ball were to react physics appropriately and not based on positioning of the paddle you would end up removing player involvement to a large degree.

Essentially the ball would always take the same pattern no matter where you hit it with the only player input being if you hit or miss the ball.

I think the approach I took is pretty standard in terms of how brick breakers handle game play.

Not trying to dismiss your feedback just explaining my thought process.

I imagine the idea of using a rounded almost triangle like paddle would have conveyed this well/solved the issue of a flat surface reflection something to think about for #2 perhaps.

Having a paddle that was curved like this would result in a similar reflection pattern to what you see now even when using non position based reflections, but would make more sense to the eye.

I wanted to thank you for the response. I think picturing the paddle as being curved helped me understand the ball trajectory better.

I still found the last few levels tough. 29 and 39 were the hardest. Most of the high 20s and 30s were hard. But, I conquered them, and A Perfect Lie is now my 850th plat ?

I do think this is harder than a 3. Probably more like a 5 for most people. There is still a luck component on some of these levels as you will need some good power up spawns to reach the score targets. I think a slight adjustment to some of the A scores might be worth considering.

But for those struggling, keep at it. I got no where yesterday, but in about an hour got the last 5 levels quickly today. 

On to the Vita stack for me....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, diskdocx said:

I do think this is harder than a 3. Probably more like a 5 for most people. There is still a luck component on some of these levels as you will need some good power up spawns to reach the score targets. I think a slight adjustment to some of the A scores might be worth considering.

This is really what the A/S ranks come down to. I got both associated trophies by playing from the start for ~6 hours today. 25, 29, and 31 are probably the hardest, and 39 is extremely luck-based. I struggled on some of the earlier levels to get the S-Rank trophy early in the game, but that was my own folly - some levels after that I was able to get S Rank on my first try. Eventually I learned if I hadn't gotten the Heavy Ball and/or Multiplier by about half way through (give or take depending on the level) I just needed to restart and thankfully the game is very quick to load levels back up.

Need to wrap up NG+ and a few misc. trophies (Uncommon stands out to me as a bit daunting), but then I'll be joining the Platinum club. Overall a very fun game with just a tad more RNG than I'd like, but absolutely enjoyable. I definitely feel like I got my money's worth and I'm happy to support CLS/Lilymo.

Edited by Tothoro

The game is fun and the story gave me a chuckle more than once!

I don't know how it's possible to platinum unless you get really lucky, there are several levels I've tried at least 50 times and I am nowhere near the score for the A rank. Quite often I'll luck out and actually get a metal ball early...but then I run out of time trying to hit one or two last bricks for the last 2 minutes.

The rest of the trophies are not bad at all, nicely spaced out and I should have everything except the 40 A ranks (the 20 S ranks is very doable). I'm going to try them again after I finish NG+ but holy crap.

Was hoping to make this Platinum #175  [/edit: I did! - see a couple posts below ?)

Edited by Cthulu-72

Just got the Platinum for both versions. I agree that luck is a huge factor for getting high scores. Also, surprisingly maxing out my health 10 times took at least two hours to grind waiting for hearts to spawn.

If anyone needs to grind for pick ups (getting 1000 or missing 500) I grinded on level 34. Not sure if others had better success on a different level.

7 hours ago, A_Dre21 said:

Just got the Platinum for both versions. I agree that luck is a huge factor for getting high scores. Also, surprisingly maxing out my health 10 times took at least two hours to grind waiting for hearts to spawn.

If anyone needs to grind for pick ups (getting 1000 or missing 500) I grinded on level 34. Not sure if others had better success on a different level.

Catcher Mode is also excellent for this since coins count as pick-ups.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cthulu-72 said:

The game is fun and the story gave me a chuckle more than once!

I don't know how it's possible to platinum unless you get really lucky, there are several levels I've tried at least 50 times and I am nowhere near the score for the A rank. Quite often I'll luck out and actually get a metal ball early...but then I run out of time trying to hit one or two last bricks for the last 2 minutes.

The rest of the trophies are not bad at all, nicely spaced out and I should have everything except the 40 A ranks (the 20 S ranks is very doable). I'm going to try them again after I finish NG+ but holy crap.

Was hoping to make this Platinum #175  1f636.png

Well I did stick with it after NG+ and am very happy to say it wasn't that bad in the end!

By the time I'd finished NG+ I only had 5 levels left to get A Rank on (already had the S-Ranks done). Took maybe an hour, eventually you luck out with a couple of multipliers and/or a metal ball early. Jut keep at it, I am glad I did.

I hope this isn't the last foray into game development from Colin & Chris. I enjoy the show a lot and hope this is a worthwhile endeavour. I only wish they had voiced their lines! That would have been amazing.

I am working on all A rankings for the codex trophies and ran into a small glitch. I ended up scoring 4355 points by only breaking 10 blocks myself on Level 9+. The ball got stuck here for almost the entire level, and I spammed the reflector. 4355 was the final score and I only broke 10 blocks myself, the rest were destroyed by the time over ships.

TSoQM1Z.png

6 hours ago, niliuscofc said:

I am working on all A rankings for the codex trophies and ran into a small glitch. I ended up scoring 4355 points by only breaking 10 blocks myself on Level 9+. The ball got stuck here for almost the entire level, and I spammed the reflector. 4355 was the final score and I only broke 10 blocks myself, the rest were destroyed by the time over ships.

TSoQM1Z.png

Hey, I saw a few people bring this issue to my attention.

There is now a patch live on PS4 USA to fix this, and it will be live on the EU PSN very soon.

You can expect The Vita versions to receive the same fix over the next few days.

• 1 month later...

Just made this my 200th Platinum!  Decent brick breaker game with a fun presentation and trophy list.  The 4 paddle controls using both thumbsticks have a pretty steep learning curve, and the RNG on the power ups can be brutal, but that's pretty typical for games like this.  It was a fairly easy Plat that I did in a couple sittings, maybe 8+ hours or so total. As Brian of PS5Trophies demonstrated in his YT stream, you can definitely get this Plat in one session of 5-6 hours if you have some skills.  For me the last couple hours getting A-rank collectibles on the hardest levels came down to getting lucky with better power ups.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I find the whole game is entirely dependent on luck and nothing more.

If your ball isn't aimlessly drifting through empty space for most of the levels then you're usually hitting the wall over and over again trying to angle in order to hit those remaining hard to get to blocks. Then you spend most of the game just hoping for the Heavy Ball powerup to make mince meat of the levels. I feel like the only reason I got S ranks was thanks to the power ups and not thanks to any real skill.

How do I put this kindly? I think the game sucks. I think the level design is pretty weak. I think the music is pretty generic. I think the physics are just all over the place. I say this as someone who has platinumed the Vita version and is now trying to platinum the PS4 version and being reminded of the tedium it was to Platinum the Vita version.

It's too luck based to be fun.

Honest thoughts. I think this game is pretty terrible all around. Better luck next time.

Edited by danmann861
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

The levels with four bumpers are also fucking awful.  Trying to control the ball in both horizontal and vertical is incredibly frustration and the complete opposite of fun.  Whoever thought this was a good idea to implement was fundamentally mistaken.  It's a terrible mechanic and will hopefully not be revisited in possible sequels.