DLC difficulty is a 6 out of 10 at least, IMO

AJ_Radio

What are the gold star requirements exactly for that Takahaki Hillbillies race you're talking about? Are there two conditions for 1 gold star? Otherwise you can get every gold star in an attempt of its own so i think it's ok for what i played. Which isn't much from the dlc though. Sometimes they made it hard though like race very fast for a certain lap time + drive 2 clean sectors or even a clean lap entirely ?

You have to get First Place, do 5 Face Offs, and reach the finish line in under a certain time limit on a lap. Getting First Place and reaching the time limit.... not hard. But doing all three Gold Star requirements in one go is very difficult, you're better off doing the Face Offs separately on another attempt.

A few races/time trials have cars with KERS and DRS. You use the L1 and X buttons to accelerate, basically it changes the spoiler of your car. You definitely need to put these to good use because otherwise you're not going to get the required time for all three Gold Stars.

This is a challenge. For racing game veterans probably not so much. But for a guy like me, it's pretty difficult.

All Stars you can argue is far easier than virtually anything else the DLC presents you with.

• Like 1

I didn't personally find the game to be that hard and I'm no expert at these kinds of games. You just have to learn how to play it much in the same way you have to learn how to platform playing Super Mario Bros 1.

In terms of skill and technique, you just have to know that it's more than just using R2 and L2. There is also understanding what O does and how to use that to maintain your speed around corners. I would say at worst, you have to know what cornering is and what "lines" are so you can optimize your turns so you can take them without sacrificing more speed than you have to and how to take a "line" so you can pass and get your tires to grip the ground so you can accelerate again as soon as possible. Instinctively, you already know what these things are, you just have to play the game a lot to be able to apply it.

In terms of actual execution of said skill and technique, what changes the calculus of the difficulty of this game, at least for me, is Venom Hot Lap 1 and Venom Hot Lap 2 where one of them asks you to do mostly cornering and line selection properly, the other one asks you to do that while dealing with bad weather and poor visibility. There are no other events in this entire game where you have to actually execute skill and technique near perfectly to get max stars.

Other than that, I felt the 5 / 10 was pretty spot on.
If every event was Venom Hot Lap 1 and Venom Hot Lap 2, I'd easily say this is a 10 / 10, hands down no questions asked.

• Like 4

I'm not really into Racing games, but going for trophies in Driveclub is pretty fun. Yeah some stuff is a bit tricky, but I felt like I got waaay better over time. I never came to a point where I had to actually search for tips and tricks or something, so it can't be more than a 5/10 for me. I still have a few DLC packs left though.?

When it comes to tricky gold stars I tend to just go for one or two of them at a time before I stress myself too much with face offs and getting top 3 / 1st place simultaneously lol. 

Edited by Paartonax
  • Like 1

I also found many of the events to be extremely hard, and had to keep restarting them.

One worth mentioning is the "One Man One Engine" event from the AMG DLC, where you have an extremely tight time to beat, an incredibly fast car which is very hard to steer, heavy rain which makes everything slippery and you need to perfect 2/3 of the map. 

I rarely play racing games, which is why I found it extra challenging. But the cool thing is, that you quickly get better and better at driving. And the game is such a joy to play, when you forget about the grinding. 

Just keep at it, and you'll have the 100% soon mate. 

• Like 4

They are definitely harder than the base game. I am almost done but outside of the Venom Hot Lap, the ones I have had the most issue with were One Man One Engine (AMG DLC) and Atomic Theory (Torque DLC.) You can kinda cheese Atomic Theory, which I found out later but One Man One Engine was a good 45-60 minute grind for me the other night. If the 2 Clean Sectors weren't tied to the lap time, I would have done it much sooner. It seems like there are a couple of the DLC's towards the end that lump two requirements into one star.

2 hours ago, Fnee2000 said:

You hit the nail on the head there. For the common folk who are not expert racers, the DLC is a daunting task.

It's not the hardest racing game sure, it's quite easy compared to others out there. But I kind of felt the DLC would be slightly easier. I guess I shouldn't assume guides are always accurate.

2 hours ago, JayDeLosDioses said:

I think the worst part of the DLC is that every other map it's either snowing or raining.

And sometimes the snow was so bad, that I could barely figure out the race track.

And the time trial with the koenigsegg

I haven't played all the DLCs through so I can't comment on all of them. The events that take place at night definitely make them more challenging.

1 hour ago, ShianKiri said:

snip

Driveclub isn't incredibly difficult, the platinum trophy is fairly easy and I just have the accolades left to grind out.

The DLC is a different story, yes I will agree a fair number of events in the tours aren't that bad and may only take a couple tries. But there are a few that are pretty difficult, such as the P1 Hot Lap in Photo Finish because not only do you have to utilize going around corners really well, you have to use KERS and DRS to your advantage. This game does absolutely nothing to explain these, I had to do a Google search to figure them out.

I find drifting to be fairly alright but I'm not good at it. When I try doing that in a race I almost always fall behind first place, but after watching some YouTube videos drifting using the O button is pretty much necessary to beat some of those time trials. Being good at doing that for the races takes time and practice.

Long story short, I figure most of anyone who is a trophy hunter can get through the base game in Driveclub with little to no issues, provided they practice. But the DLC is much more unforgiving and it requires a lot more practice and skill.

Driveclub Bikes platinum is more difficult because the bikes in my opinion are more difficult to master than the cars. The DLC packs in that aren't easy either, so yeah.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spaz said:

It's not the hardest racing game sure, it's quite easy compared to others out there. But I kind of felt the DLC would be slightly easier. I guess I shouldn't assume guides are always accurate.

I haven't played all the DLCs through so I can't comment on all of them. The events that take place at night definitely make them more challenging.

Driveclub isn't incredibly difficult, the platinum trophy is fairly easy and I just have the accolades left to grind out.

The DLC is a different story, yes I will agree a fair number of events in the tours aren't that bad and may only take a couple tries. But there are a few that are pretty difficult, such as the P1 Hot Lap in Photo Finish because not only do you have to utilize going around corners really well, you have to use KERS and DRS to your advantage. This game does absolutely nothing to explain these, I had to do a Google search to figure them out.

I find drifting to be fairly alright but I'm not good at it. When I try doing that in a race I almost always fall behind first place, but after watching some YouTube videos drifting using the O button is pretty much necessary to beat some of those time trials. Being good at doing that for the races takes time and practice.

Long story short, I figure most of anyone who is a trophy hunter can get through the base game in Driveclub with little to no issues, provided they practice. But the DLC is much more unforgiving and it requires a lot more practice and skill.

Driveclub Bikes platinum is more difficult because the bikes in my opinion are more difficult to master than the cars. The DLC packs in that aren't easy either, so yeah.

RPM is one of the easiest DLC pack imo. Some of the DLC is very easy and some are very hard. Im more annoyed at the rubber banding and how perfect the A.I is in this game , they rarely make mistakes when you take the lead they are always on your back so you have to drive almost perfect to maintain 1st place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayDeLosDioses said:

I think the worst part of the DLC is that every other map it's either snowing or raining.

And sometimes the snow was so bad, that I could barely figure out the race track.

And the time trial with the koenigsegg

I hated THAT. The dlc is the reason I started a new account. Stupidly thought it would be easy like the base game. The car might aswell not have wheels on that track. Although I was pretty tanked at the time, Who would have thought that drinking and driving on a game was bad. ?

Edited by Neurotekk_

1 minute ago, patrickogorman19 said:

RPM is one of the easiest DLC pack imo. Some of the DLC is very easy and some are very hard. Im more annoyed at the rubber banding and how perfect the A.I is in this game , they rarely make mistakes when you take the lead they are always on your back so you have to drive almost perfect to maintain 1st place.

RPM definitely isn't that hard overall... it's just the one or two events, or sometimes getting that one gold star that is much more difficult than anything else.

I've practiced enough on P1 Hot Lap to get a sort of feel for it, but I still can't quite reach the time requirement.

Agree with you here on the difficulty of the dlc... It's not the hardest challenge but it's annoying as hell on some events and require a lot of retries. It's like dark souls with cars :D  For Takahaki Hillbillies or Dam busters i recommend doing separate runs though. You don't need to get all 3 gold stars in one run. You can easily do face off run first and then focus on getting the rest of the star requirements.

This is the first racing/driving game I've really ever played (excluding childhood stuff like Mario Kart) and I'd personally say the difficulty is more around a solid 5 or MAYBE 6 tops with the "Elements" and "AMG" dlc being the only noteworthy "difficult" ones. Some of the time trials were a bit tricky but once you get through a couple of them your feel for the handling starts improving and carries over to the other challenges, and while it did take me about 5 hours to do the first dlc (along with Elements due to the infamous venom hotlap taking ~2 hours on its own) after I started knocking more dlc off I was managing to casually fit nearly 3 full dlcs into that 5 hour time frame at the end.

Also due to problems with my left hand I had to rebind the brake button to RB which meant I couldn't light brake so I kept the brake assist on low which is a huge disadvantage if you're able to learn and play without it but in most cases it's still doable with it set to low. There were definitely a select few avrg speed face offs/max speed challenges that I couldn't do without turning it off for at least a section of the race, there was also maybe 2 time trials that I had turned it off for on a few light turns as it tried to brake when it wasn't needed and slowed me down too much. I also don't think I ended up using the handbrake (O) like at all outside of drift challenges, not sure if that handicapped me even further but I still got there regardless!

Overall (in my experience) just keep at it and if you try to tough through the dlcs back-to-back you'll start to become more consistent and it should go by a lot easier.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

Does anyone else feel some of these DLC events are just too ridiculous?

I felt the same way!
I decided to do the same as you around June/2019... Going for 100%. Yes, I found some very difficult events but overall I was able to get 3 stars... Some with less headache than others. Sometimes I spent around 1 hour just to complete one event, but I never let the game win. I was always trying... Until I reached one event in particular that, sorry, but I don't remember the name. But my problem was this: I was only driving supercars up to that point. They're fast and I was able to be first place and get 3 stars pretty easly, despite the AI. Than, an event thow at me some regular Renaut Clio for me to do 3 laps. And one of the stars was to get a max speed that could only be achieved if you slipstream someone. This event alone made me give up on the game for the rest of the year!

At the end of the year I give it another try and manage without too much problem. Don't know why
Bottom line is: Yes, it difficult... But if you're having problems, just take a break. Maybe a few hours, days (or in my case, months)

PS:. There's another event people say it's the hardest. One where you drive at night with heavy snow. My tip: Be very agressive in the beggining while there sun is still in the sky... Once the night comes, you'll be driving looking more at the minimap than the road itself. Try to build some gap to the second place and stay ahead until the end (easier said than done)

"Takahagi Hillbillies" is hard? Dam Busters is harder lol, and you have to do it TWICE because of those "compilation" tours under the main one.

Man... One Man One Engine took me 2 days, Atomic Theory was easier but still frustrating.

The worst one i've seen was "Clocking Off" from Finish Line, and the hot lap with the Regera that was a requirement for a trophy.

• Like 1

I think that the dlc contains 3 relatively challenging events (venom hot lap 2, one of the later black series events that requires clean sectors and a time trial in a buggy where you have to go off the track to reach the time which I can’t remember the name of) but the rest is pretty straight forward. I wouldn’t give it a 7/10. Maybe a 3/10 and the events I mentioned being a 5/10. You just need to get used to the rediculous rubber banding of the ai and use it to your advantage. If it’s a straight race don’t go flat out from the start and don’t be afraid to be down the pack for the first half of the race. Lift off early for the corners and coast to the braking zone and put the throttle back on late out of the corners to reduce your speed and the ai will go more slowly to match your pace. You can then just nail it towards the end and beat them easily. I know it doesn’t help for time trials etc but they are all perfectly doable with a bit of practice, even for people who have average skills with race games. 

6 minutes ago, Warlord99956 said:

I think that the dlc contains 3 relatively challenging events (venom hot lap 2, one of the later black series events that requires clean sectors and a time trial in a buggy where you have to go off the track to reach the time which I can’t remember the name of) but the rest is pretty straight forward. I wouldn’t give it a 7/10. Maybe a 3/10 and the events I mentioned being a 5/10. You just need to get used to the rediculous rubber banding of the ai and use it to your advantage. If it’s a straight race don’t go flat out from the start and don’t be afraid to be down the pack for the first half of the race. Lift off early for the corners and coast to the braking zone and put the throttle back on late out of the corners to reduce your speed and the ai will go more slowly to match your pace. You can then just nail it towards the end and beat them easily. I know it doesn’t help for time trials etc but they are all perfectly doable with a bit of practice, even for people who have average skills with race games. 

I completely understand where you're coming from. But I strongly disagree with the 3 out of 10 difficulty rating, the DLC as a whole is at least a 5 or 6 out of 10.

Most of the races aren't too bad, some have ludicrous requirements that you may have to come back to a second time and get, but in general they're not that hard. Drifting events I find the easiest even though I'm not that good at drifting, a lot of them have pretty lenient requirements that a lot of people can do with enough practice.

Time trials on the other hand are probably the most difficult event in the DLCs. Some leave no room for error.. like literally. I've made over 100 attempts on the P1 Hot Lap, and basically you need to master the corners.

Your post reminds me a lot when I felt people who rated Sonic Mania a higher difficulty were just bad or average at the game. What some people call a 5 or 6 out of 10 in that game, I call a 3 out of 10. I practically grew up on those games so naturally they're not that hard for me.

What's difficult for someone might be easier for someone else. It's great if you think the Driveclub DLC is a 3 out of 10 difficulty, I personally don't think it's that low. That's just me, we all have different skills.

What's difficult for you personally I might consider to be pretty easy, and vice versa.

• Like 2

I got 100% a while back, chipping away over the span of a number of months. There were definitely some spikes here and there, with the hot laps being the tough parts and the drift challenges typically being the easiest. Almost everything was “easy” when you got it to click. Often times I’d spend an hour on a hot lap! then I’d just nail a sweet run and clear the time by a reasonable margin. The key is hitting the corners at a perfect entry angle/speed.

I would say the base game is 3/10, the DLCs 5/10 with a couple that were 7/10. For me personally the night events were an absolute nightmare, with Venom hot lap 1&2 probably being the hardest things in the game, hands down.

there is a great thread here in the DLCs overall.

In particular, I think the post by @soliunasm pretty much nailed the overall breakdown on what to expect and where you’re going to get stuck.

• Like 1

There are some hard events for sure. I had trouble with two of them: Venom Hot Lap and another one I can't remember the name. This other one was with a slippery car in the rain. 

But the majority of the DLCs aren't that hard. I managed to do most of them in about 2h each.

Edited by samuel_hsc