DLC difficulty is a 6 out of 10 at least, IMO

AJ_Radio

I just did RPM and Horsepower last night. 

Nothing too bad but there was one event that had me working for a while. I reckon it’ll get worse as I get into the tougher DLC packs. 

AMG, Elements, Evolution, Torque and Velocity I generally hear are the hardest.

I’ll probably work on this for a week more. Got all online done including Bikes so I no longer need to worry about server shutdown.

• Like 1

I'm getting really close to Elements lol, done Sakura today...

The only thing that makes me sad is losing all that +10% Fame increase from Club accolades and the 5 cars obtained by joining a club. I know it's possible to use them offline if you disconnect from the network before opening the game, but it's probably a palliative solution. Two days ago the game network didn't work immediatly and those cars were temporarily locked.

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 1

Obviously as people mentioned, difficulty will be highly subjective and as I had mentioned, a bit of practice comes a long way. 

@Spaz
I was reading some of your rants and I get it. When you mentioned KERS and DRS, I'd have to say... "uh..." 
I didn't do the ones you mentioned that you thought were hard yet (Torque, Velocity), but I did what some would consider really hard in AMG, Elements and Evolution without knowing what KERS and DRS is, let alone even use the "X" or "L1" button and did just fine. 

Generally speaking, the mileage of difficulty is definitely going to be different for people. Just knowing the existence of KERS and DRS now makes the game seem even easier to me. 
And I totally agree, the game didn't explain what those are or even how to use them which is dumb and would've gone a long way for a lot of people had they known what those were up front. 

AAAAAND i've just finished Ignition, the final cars DLC lol. P1 Hot Lap (from Photo-Finish) wasn't that hard, i've seen worse.

How's Bikes, difficulty-wise? And its DLC tours? I've only got 54 stars from the main Bikes tour before quitting the game months ago.

9 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

How's Bikes, difficulty-wise? And its DLC tours? I've only got 54 stars from the main Bikes tour before quitting the game months ago.

Difficulty wise I'd say it's way easier (especially after going into it right after the main Driveclub) as I managed to do the entire tour in a single session the other day with really no struggle on any of the challenges, think of it as equivalent to 3 of the more easier DLC from the main game.

As for the DLC it's what I went into first and the only tough ones I personally had issues with were the "Challenger" trophies - however that was during the period where I learned turning brake assist off even with having the brake rebound to RB was still a thousand times better than leaving it on low for light braking, and then ended up doing them with no problems whatsoever.

The level grind for each bike however.. that's probably where 65-70% of the time is spent.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheCoffeeFiend said:

With the exception of night + weather I don't think any of the dlc has been overly difficult, Although I haven't finished them all yet.

None of the races nor the drift events I've done have been all too difficult. It's some of the time trials where you have to spend probably 30 - 60+ minutes before you beat the lap time.

Alpine Hot Lap and P1 Hot Lap have been my worst thus far. Can't wait to try out Venom Hot Lap 2.

35 minutes ago, Spaz said:

None of the races nor the drift events I've done have been all too difficult. It's some of the time trials where you have to spend probably 30 - 60+ minutes before you beat the lap time.

Alpine Hot Lap and P1 Hot Lap have been my worst thus far. Can't wait to try out Venom Hot Lap 2.

The only time I've spent more than an hour on 1 event was getting the lap time in the clio cup the last 2 turns screwed me up every time.

I'm inclined to agree on the 7/10 after playing some of the dlc. Any game of course can have a lower rating if you compare it to people that play alot of a particular genre. But ratings for trophy difficulty I feel should be set generalized as if anyone from the player base is attempting it not just players of that genre or skill level. There is also though three things I believe is creating an artificial difficulty for some players.

1. The game is know as an easy Driving Game. ---This kinda falls into genre trapping. Most players who would say it is easy (myself would included partially) because frankly we've played harder racing games that were more punishing or simulator focused. This though is somewhere inbetween it's definitely harder then Arcade Racers like The Crew or NFS, but still more accessible then Racing Simulators like F1 and Gran Turismo. It's a middle ground and a good one for people interested in making the jump to racing sims.

2. Lack of "tutorial" stages. --- Let's face a big reality outside maybe a starting tutorial race or starting explanation with a couple windows of info to read. Most racing games don't really help a player along it's definitely a make mistakes and learn from them approach. While this can be argued of any game. Racing games I think this hits more hard especially when your expected to know how to make precise turns you've never seen or attempted before. Then know how to do it without any guidance into them. Do you just release the gas? Or do your Brake interchangeably, maybe you need to drift? You won't know until you try and a failed attempt could set you considerably back.

3. Playing on Standard (ie: Gold Star Difficulty) --- This is what is probably setting the most artificial difficulty for alot of players that find it difficult to begin with. You heard about an an easy racing game and decide to play on standard for trophies of course. You have little to no experience with racing games, and your essentially starting out on the Normal/Hard mode of this game. Where races need to be more precise the rubberbanding from AI opponents is more aggressive and attention is key. The Devs made an Easy Mode for a reason they would expect a player more often to play through Easy first get a feel and memorize the tracks and turns and how the cars perform in the different weather. Were basically playing against a preferred plan that otherwise would be prepped us for the real challenge.

In final with trophy hunting we typically go against the grain of what a game is and how it's expected to be actually played. We essentially rush at the games in most chances then taking it slow and actually putting the time into getting better which most devs would naturally expect from anyone that plays their game. Is the game hard? Yes but it's only as hard as we make it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

snip

I agree 100 percent.

1. The game is know as an easy Driving Game. ---This kinda falls into genre trapping. Most players who would say it is easy (myself would included partially) because frankly we've played harder racing games that were more punishing or simulator focused. This though is somewhere inbetween it's definitely harder then Arcade Racers like The Crew or NFS, but still more accessible then Racing Simulators like F1 and Gran Turismo. It's a middle ground and a good one for people interested in making the jump to racing sims.

This is true, but those who have had a lot of experience with said genre are going to give it a lower rating in difficulty than someone else who hasn't had that experience.

I'm this way with platformers. Any platformer that is given a 7 or 8 out of 10 in difficulty is generally a 4 or 5 out of 10 for me at the worst. I'm good at platformers, I did Super Meat Boy and I've done a few platformers that others considered hard that I finished relatively quickly. Crash Bandicoot is given a 6 or 7 out of 10 for most, I give it a 4 out of 10. Sonic Mania is basically a 3 - 4 out of 10 while some may consider it a 7 out of 10 in difficulty. It all depends on the person and the experience they had with a genre.

I'm terrible at fighting games, but I'd still give Tekken 7 a 3 out of 10. I would never do something like Street Fighter IV, or do one of those crazy anime fighting games that require fast reflexes and a lot of skill to pull off. They're not something I'm good at.

Driveclub is definitely a good middle ground. There are easier racing games out there, but definitely harder ones like Trackmania Turbo and Gran Turismo Sport. Asseto Corsa is arguably one of the hardest racing games with a platinum, and that is definitely one I will never finish.

3. Playing on Standard (ie: Gold Star Difficulty) --- This is what is probably setting the most artificial difficulty for alot of players that find it difficult to begin with. You heard about an an easy racing game and decide to play on standard for trophies of course. You have little to no experience with racing games, and your essentially starting out on the Normal/Hard mode of this game. Where races need to be more precise the rubberbanding from AI opponents is more aggressive and attention is key. The Devs made an Easy Mode for a reason they would expect a player more often to play through Easy first get a feel and memorize the tracks and turns and how the cars perform in the different weather. Were basically playing against a preferred plan that otherwise would be prepped us for the real challenge.

Initially there was only Gold Star difficulty. Silver Star difficulty wasn't added until later on.

The main difficulty for me are the time trials. But you basically have the same 10 - 20 tracks repeated over and over for all the DLC packs, and I'm at the point where I've practically played all of them. None of the races and drift events posed any real challenge for me. However I've delved into something that isn't exactly my strong suit, so you can say I took a little bit of a risk putting Driveclub on my profile.

In final with trophy hunting we typically go against the grain of what a game is and how it's expected to be actually played. We essentially rush at the games in most chances then taking it slow and actually putting the time into getting better which most devs would naturally expect from anyone that plays their game. Is the game hard? Yes but it's only as hard as we make it.

This is very subjective.

Some trophy hunters are speed runners who like to rush through a game as quick as possible. Others prefer to take their time through a game. There's nothing wrong with either.

Difficulty lies with the player and their skill in completing the game. What I consider hard is probably easy for someone else, and vice versa. But there will always be someone better. You just have to do the best you can, and if that isn't enough, you either take a break, or you move on to other games.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I'm this way with platformers. Any platformer that is given a 7 or 8 out of 10 in difficulty is generally a 4 or 5 out of 10 for me at the worst. I'm good at platformers, I did Super Meat Boy and I've done a few platformers that others considered hard that I finished relatively quickly. Crash Bandicoot is given a 6 or 7 out of 10 for most, I give it a 4 out of 10. Sonic Mania is basically a 3 - 4 out of 10 while some may consider it a 7 out of 10 in difficulty. It all depends on the person and the experience they had with a genre.

I'm terrible at fighting games, but I'd still give Tekken 7 a 3 out of 10. I would never do something like Street Fighter IV, or do one of those crazy anime fighting games that require fast reflexes and a lot of skill to pull off. They're not something I'm good at.

This is very subjective.

Some trophy hunters are speed runners who like to rush through a game as quick as possible. Others prefer to take their time through a game. There's nothing wrong with either.

Me I attempt Platformers and Fighting games but there honestly difficult for me due to my random hand tremors I have. My hands eventually go numb or I can't press the right inputs for combos and certain types of jumps. (I'm great at speedrunning in Super Mario Maker 2 for example but stuff like complicated specialized jumps and combos are hard on my hands)

I agree it's subjective, but it's no discredit to speedrunners but trying to achieve a platinum as fast as possible while also learning the game in what a developer may exp CT you to learn over weeks or months is a bit out there compared to just playing it normally. But those that do accomplish that more props to them. (Though in this case with Driveclub it's a little different with people rushing to complete due to a server closure.)

I wish I knew beforehand that silver stars don't count toward the completionist trophies. :P

I think 7/10 sounds about right for the DLC. But the difficulty is definitely in the time trials. Drifting and races are not so bad, but god do I LOATHE time trials!

You have to drive near perfection and hope not to get a corner penalty when using curve shortcuts. Also doesn't help that almost every track comes with shitty weather. I never ever had so much anger in a videogame before and I'm just glad I got the DLC done. Can't wait to uninstall everything as soon as I get the plats. ?

On 7/3/2020 at 8:45 AM, Smashero said:

Wait until you will get into AMG DLC. Then you can seriously complain ;).

Challenge accepted. I'm doing it and I'm stuck with one of the "easiest" races, LOL. Can't get into 3rd place at least in the first part of the whole event. God, I really suck at this game LMAO. 

Edited by Xenoblast91
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, LittleBlueMacaw said:

I think 7/10 sounds about right for the DLC. But the difficulty is definitely in the time trials. Drifting and races are not so bad, but god do I LOATHE time trials!

You have to drive near perfection and hope not to get a corner penalty when using curve shortcuts. Also doesn't help that almost every track comes with shitty weather. I never ever had so much anger in a videogame before and I'm just glad I got the DLC done. Can't wait to uninstall everything as soon as I get the plats. 1f624.png

You are me both.

But it looks like you already 100 percented Driveclub, you just need to finish off Bikes.

I still have to do the AMG DLC and do that Venom Hot Lap 2. So yeah.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheCoffeeFiend said:

I just finished the AMG dlc for the 100% and it was definitely the hardest, Especially the time trials and dual objective gold medals. None of the dlc ever felt cheap or unfair it's all car and track knowledge, Now onto bikes 1f643.png 

I wouldn't say it wasn't cheap at times. The bad weather combined with the sometimes rubberband AI can really irritate you.

I've done enough DLC at this point to safely say at least half of all the races and time trials take place in the rain. This adds to the difficulty because your car has poor traction due to the wet rain. It's a lot of fun when you have a hyper car that already has too much over steer, you're almost basically driving on black ice and the slightest movement of the control stick has you flinging yourself off track.

37 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I wouldn't say it wasn't cheap at times. The bad weather combined with the sometimes rubberband AI can really irritate you.

I've done enough DLC at this point to safely say at least half of all the races and time trials take place in the rain. This adds to the difficulty because your car has poor traction due to the wet rain. It's a lot of fun when you have a hyper car that already has too much over steer, you're almost basically driving on black ice and the slightest movement of the control stick has you flinging yourself off track.

Learning to rein the controls in on rainy/snowy tracks is an adjustment but all doable, Other than atomic theory that was ridiculous. The weather effects themselves combined with night races where the worst and made a lot of the events harder then they should have been, There's a difference between dark and I just cant see anything.

• Like 2