One gun/Impossible run ammo question

headbusta517

I'm hoping to do one gun in my impossible run. I have a question regarding ammo. Do you have to buy a weapon from the store in order for it's ammo to drop? If that's the case, should I worry about buying any of them from the store (if so, which is the best to buy), or just focus on buying plasma cutter ammo? I'm worried that money could be an issue on impossible, and want to make sure I have a good plan going in.

It's been close to 9 years since I did it, but I am pretty sure if you are only carrying the Plasma Cutter that is the only ammo that will drop. I do remember a couple times running really low on ammo and having to improvise to kill a few enemies.

It is hard but doable. 

• Like 1

It's been a looooooong time since I did it as well, but from what I remember you only get ammo for the gun you're carrying.  So if you're doing the one gun trophy, completely ignore the other guns for guaranteed ammo.

Be sure to also pick up the Tank Armor DLC if you're doing it on Impossible, the 60% damage resistance saved my bacon many times!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 0:20 PM, headbusta517 said:

I'm hoping to do one gun in my impossible run. I have a question regarding ammo. Do you have to buy a weapon from the store in order for it's ammo to drop? If that's the case, should I worry about buying any of them from the store (if so, which is the best to buy), or just focus on buying plasma cutter ammo? I'm worried that money could be an issue on impossible, and want to make sure I have a good plan going in.

Not sure if you have started this impossible run but here is my advice to get Epic Tier 3 Enginner and One Gun trophy.

(I am currently doing same run)

1. Once you are in level one, activate cheats to give you Credits at least you will get 18000. 7 power nodes and more. (Don’t worry this won’t block trophies).

2. Use the Infinite Credit Farming Glitch that you can do in Level 2 and get all the money that you can. Actually I took my time here just to get enough money to avoid worries. (Don't grab them until you have all the money you want, otherwise this glitch will be closed).

3. through your journey you will find money, ammo (plasma and any other ammo) and any other supplies. Try to keep and sell everything you find, except plasma ammo and a few oxygen cylinders. 
Try to buy as much plasma ammo as you can. But keep some money just in case you find a device that allows you to upgrade your spacesuit (this will help), also use your money wisely. :D

Good luck and don’t get frustrated as I am, hahaha. Enemies can be annoying. Save your progress as soon as you can, or you will have to repeat the agony over and over. (Personal experience). 
Hope I get this soon, this game is really scary to me and in hardest mode, annoying.

• 4 weeks later...

In my experience, combining one gun with epic tier 3 engineer is actually the best choice since it makes the run a lot easier. 

Since you don't have to buy the other weapons (which are expensive) and you can sell all the ammo you can't use (the game will still drop a lot of ammo other than plasma energy for you regardless whether you have bought the other guns or not), you'll soon be swimming in credits and you also have to buy way less nodes when upgrading just 1 gun compared to when you would use 3 or 4. The very first chapter is the only time you'll really have to watch your ammo since you'll only have access to a store at the end but that's an issue on every playthrough.

A fully upgraded plasma cutter is just easily the best weapon in the game anyway since its extremely fast and easy to handle. You can also just pretty much spam with it since ammo and money really isn't going to be an issue when doing one gun, even on impossible. I found my run on impossible to be a lot easier compared to hard where I was always pretty short on money and ammo and healing items. When doing one gun, you'll reach a point where you won't even bother about pickups anymore because you simply have enough.

So yeah I just highly recommend to combine one gun and epic tier 3 engineer if you want an easier experience, otherwise if you prefer a challenge, buy and use the other guns as well since you will have a lot more trouble havind enough ammo and money that way.

Edited by Flex_Da_Brent
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7.05.2020 at 1:20 AM, Flex_Da_Brent said:

So yeah I just highly recommend to combine one gun and epic tier 3 engineer if you want an easier experience, otherwise if you prefer a challenge, buy and use the other guns as well since you will have a lot more trouble havind enough ammo and money that way.

What? Sorry but that's bullshit. Playing with Plasma Cutter on Impossible is easier than using other guns? I have a feeling you haven't even played the game that way. You seem to forget about Linegun mines that are one-hit kill to every normal enemy and you have plenty of ammo for it? I'm doing Impossible run now and what you wrote is just plain stupid lol.

4 hours ago, HaserPL said:

What? Sorry but that's bullshit. Playing with Plasma Cutter on Impossible is easier than using other guns? I have a feeling you haven't even played the game that way. You seem to forget about Linegun mines that are one-hit kill to every normal enemy and you have plenty of ammo for it? I'm doing Impossible run now and what you wrote is just plain stupid lol.

Well no need to be so rude to be honest but you're right that I probably shouldn't have phrased it like that, so let me rephrase it:

It's not easier to do impossible mode with only the plasma cutter but I saw that the guide actually recommended to do an easy playthrough first with only the plasma cutter and then to do the impossible playthrough with using and upgrading all the weapons but I honestly think that doing it that way is harder than the other way around. When you have to buy and upgrade ALL of the other weapons (not just the line gun which indeed is a very good weapon as well) and ammo for it you actually will have a hard time not running out of money and ammo in comparison to only having to buy ammo for the plasma cutter (and some nodes to upgrade it up to max as early as possible). 

I just highly recommend to combine one gun and epic tier 3 engineer if you're planning to get the plat in 2 playthroughs since it's really not that difficult at all and it knocks out two birds with one stone, it will just save you a hard time trying to upgrade all of your weapons on impossible mode.

Alternatively if you already have every trophy except for epic tier 3 engineer, then yes of course it will be easier to also buy the line gun and maybe some others to give you more options but I was just trying to state as why combining one gun and epic tier 3 engineer isn't a bad idea.

Sorry for the bad phrasement of my argument.

Edited by Flex_Da_Brent

12 minutes ago, Flex_Da_Brent said:

Well no need to be so rude to be honest but you're right that I probably shouldn't have phrased it like that, so let me rephrase it:

It's not easier to do impossible mode with only the plasma cutter but I saw that the guide actually recommended to do an easy playthrough first with only the plasma cutter and then to do the impossible playthrough with using and upgrading all the weapons but I honestly think that doing it that way is harder than the other way around. When you have to buy and upgrade ALL of the other weapons (not just the line gun which indeed is a very good weapon as well) and ammo for it you actually will have a hard time not running out of money and ammo in comparison to only having to buy ammo for the plasma cutter (and some nodes to upgrade it up to max as early as possible). 

I just highly recommend to combine one gun and epic tier 3 engineer if you're planning to get the plat in 2 playthroughs since it's really not that difficult at all and it knocks out two birds with one stone, it will just save you a hard time trying to upgrade all of your weapons on impossible mode.

Alternatively if you already have every trophy except for epic tier 3 engineer, then yes of course it will be easier to also buy the line gun and maybe some others to give you more options but I was just trying to state as why combining one gun and epic tier 3 engineer isn't a bad idea.

Sorry for the bad phrasement of my argument.

what's interesting is that without using money exploits, using Line Gun the Beam something neglected the need to use anything else, which meant that by the end of chapter 6 I had like 100k+ of extra credits just from selling all the ammo for plasma cutter and other weapons. I even had like 20+ medkits which was funny, coz easy playthrough with just the cutter was more challenging than Impossible using Line Gun + Stasis combo XD.