Horizon Zero Dawn Confirmed for PC release this summer.

snakebit10

Great news for PC gamers!

I'm biased since I have all consoles and a PC, and have friends in all communities, but I like the idea of getting rid of exclusivity in general.  The more great games in the hands of more gamers, the better.

The only thing I'd be afraid of is that I think the reason games like Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy look and run so well is because savvy developers can design games and cut just the right corners on a very standardized set of hardware.  Where starting with a wider range of platforms and a wider range of PC builds dilutes the product a bit, technically speaking.  They're stuck taking a more general approach with regards to quality/optimization versus a specialized approach.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

This seems to be Jim Ryan's vision for the future of Playstation. Shared on PC. Like it or not, that seems to be the plan. More and more games will go there. While im indifferent to it at the moment, I can see a scenario where id just go PC since it's going to get the games anyway.

Edited by AlphaExGAT

It's been 3 years since Horizon's release so I don't really have a problem with this. Everyone who wants has already got it. Anyone who doesn't own it either a ) doesn't want it or b ) doesn't want it enough to buy a ps4 to play it. 

Horizon's done its job for Sony, now it's time for it to do a job for its developers and make them more money. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jonads_ said:

It's been 3 years since Horizon's release so I don't really have a problem with this. Everyone who wants has already got it. Anyone who doesn't own it either a ) doesn't want it or b ) doesn't want it enough to buy a ps4 to play it. 

Horizon's done its job for Sony, now it's time for it to do a job for its developers and make them more money. 

A and B should be reason enough to not warrant porting.

Playstation is dead and they don't even know.

• Like 1

The main problem for games go to PC is piracy. I know a friend who bought console mainly for those console exclusive games. Then, play pirate games on PC. Those also are the same type people will ask you why spend a lot of money on games when you can just pirate it. That's why I prefer not to see an exclusive to PC.

• Like 1

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

Never understood this approach really.  Consoles will always be cheaper and simpler than PC IMO... give it a year after they launch and you could probably buy a PS5, Xbox Series X and Switch for the cost of a mid range PC and be set for the next 10 years.  Is PC really worth the time and money investment just to wrestle through optimization/hardware compatibility issues while maybe trying to play a few extra games at 4K?

Yes it is worth it to me if all the games go to PC. I bought my Playstation and all my other systems through out my history for exclusives even if I play mostly mutlplatform. If all the PS exclusives go to PC, then it's very likely im going there. I'm not one of those who plays on a platform just because that's where my friends are playing on. At that point i'd examine things like PS Plus in which im currently only paying for just to play an 6 year old game at this point. The PSN experience is not great enough for me to not abandon it in a scenario were this happens.

Well now I feel stupid for buying it on PS4. I bought it quite late and played it pretty much at the end of last year, and now this release is telling me that waiting a few more months would have lead to a much better experience with better graphics and most importantly the unlimited potential of mods turning this already fantastic game into something even better. I do not like being lied to, I have no problem with timed exclusives if they are upfront about it, especially not with games that do not get a big advantage due to being on pc, but this game will be much better on pc and was always titled to be a Playstation exclusive, and obviously I would have not bought this specific game on PS4 if I had known it comes to PC in a few months, because games like this turn into completely different experiences on PC when compared to console. Definitely gonna pirate this on PC, if they do not bother giving me the information I, as a customer, need to make proper purchase decisions, then I do not bother giving them my money again, fuck me if I pay twice for it under these circumstances.

Happy for the average PC player of course, the PC modding community has managed to even turn Bethesda turds like Skyrim into good games after modders have dedicated years to it, given that they can turn bad games into good ones I can't even begin to imagine what they will manage to do with a game like Horizon Zero Dawn. I really do hope this behavior from Sony stays the absolute exception though and they either tell us at release that a game is going to be a timed exclusive, or they actually keep it as an exclusive, because all I see here is the attempt to make more people pay twice by not telling them about their intentions right away.

18 minutes ago, AlphaExGAT said:

Yes it is worth it to me if all the games go to PC. I bought my Playstation and all my other systems through out my history for exclusives even if I play mostly mutlplatform. If all the PS exclusives go to PC, then it's very likely im going there. I'm not one of those who plays on a platform just because that's where my friends are playing on. At that point i'd examine things like PS Plus in which im currently only paying for just to play an 6 year old game at this point. The PSN experience is not great enough for me to not abandon it in a scenario were this happens.

It just seems like six of one, half dozen to me.  You're playing the same games, likely spending the same amount of money (or more), for a potentially worse experience if the games don't port well/aren't optimized/laden with DRM bloatware.  And instead of a guarantee of getting new, working games for the life of the console... you're banking that your PC hardware will hold up over that span.  And unless you're planning on pirating or playing exclusively indies in bundles a year after they come out, you're still paying full retail for new games or buying games on similarly priced sales as console.

Not to knock the idea, I'm sure people have their reasons.  Just trying to wrap my head around making the switch hard stop like that.  I've had terrible experiences with PC games on mid-range hardware so I may just not understand the appeal.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

It just seems like six of one, half dozen to me.  You're playing the same games, likely spending the same amount of money (or more) for a potentially worse experience if the games don't port well/aren't optimized.  And instead of a guarantee of getting new games for the life of the generation, you're banking that your PC hardware will hold up.  And unless you're planning on pirating or playing exclusively indies in bundles a year after they come out, you're still paying full retail for new games.

Not to knock the idea, I'm sure people have their reasons.  Just trying to wrap my head around making a switch hard stop like that.

I'll deal with any issues regarding any potential optimization problems. My number one thing is if a gaming platform doesn't have exclusives, im not likely to spend my money on it. That's one less gaming system I need to buy. It's that simple.

Edited by AlphaExGAT

What a terrible move by Sony, might as well say “we don’t want you to buy our next console”. 

30 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

A and B should be reason enough to not warrant porting.

Playstation is dead and they don't even know.

It’s like so few people realize how bad this is for the future of PlayStation as a whole.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlphaExGAT said:

I'll dill with any issues regarding any potential optimization problems. My number one thing is if a gaming platform doesn't have exclusives, im not likely to spend my money on it. That's one less gaming system I need to buy. It's that simple.

I'd be willing to bet "dealing with potential optimization problems" probably means review bombing games on Steam when they don't work well for you. xD  That's how most PC gamers deal with their technical issues nowadays.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Ok, I will be the immature one, but how the hell is this good for the PS brand? I don't care if it is an old game or if this just want to look for interest for the second one, but this just planted doubt in ALL the exclusives of Sony, now we don't know if we are really buying a PS hardware to play exclusives or just timed exclusives, nobody believes on xbox exclusive games anymore because they are all released on PC and until now everyone knows that aside from mobile games or emulators we wont play Nintendo exclusive games on a PC or another console. I'm sorry but I still buy consoles in a big part for exclusives, I won't buy a Switch to play third party games (No, I'm not interested on playing The Witcher 3 on the bathroom).

So how is this good for Sony? Yeah, they will receive more money for an old game but they just planted doubt in all their exclusives forever, and that is a huge hit for their image. Well, things will be very different in the next generation, now what will Sony do? A gamepass equivalent to make us "happy"? It seems that the loyal fanbase is not needed anymore...

For starters, I think your average Playstation gamer isn't going to blow $1000+ switching to PC or anything over some potentially timed exclusives.

Secondly, kinda like cross-play, it doesn't help Sony or the Playstation brand directly but generates good PR for the company at a time where that sort of thing matters across social media platforms.  Plus strategic exposure to popular Playstation exclusives might generate some buzz in the sense of "hey, this is what we've been missing out on".

13 minutes ago, Mastersturm said:

Ignoring all of this though, I personally switched to PlayStation because I recently graduated from college and began working as a software engineer. I just can't be bothered to come home after working on a computer all day to do the same thing at home. I don't want to spend my free time on my PC regardless of how little troubleshooting I have to do for any given game.

I'm with you.  That's part of the reason why I went from all-in on PC to all-in on consoles.  As a software dev with my head buried in monitors all day, the thought of sitting at my desk at home doing the same thing makes me sick (even if I still end up doing that more nights than I'd like). xD

And tinkering with getting games to work, or getting them to work better, was fun... until it wasn't anymore.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mastersturm said:

I just don't see why people think exclusives are the only selling point of consoles for customers and why a single game going over to PC 3 years after its release should signal the end of console gaming as a whole.

Is not the end, but it is a "start" =)

23 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

For starters, I think your average Playstation gamer isn't going to blow $1000+ switching to PC or anything over some potentially timed exclusives.

Secondly, kinda like cross-play, it doesn't help Sony or the Playstation brand directly but generates good PR for the company at a time where that sort of thing matters across social media platforms.  Plus strategic exposure to popular Playstation exclusives might generate some buzz in the sense of "hey, this is what we've been missing out on".

Well, I have a $1000+ PC that I barely use to gaming, but well you say average so maybe I'm just out of that... But in the same way it seems that people think that console gamers only have a tablet or smartphone in their homes because having a good PC is just for the "master race"...

Social media platforms... The same people that make an outrage of everything but never buy games? Battlefield V is looking at you...

• Like 1

Great thing. If it were up to me everything should become multiplatform either immediately or after some time. Make everything work cross-platform too while they're at it. Give me the freedom of choice when it comes to platform when buying a game.

Edited by xZoneHunter
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Well, I have a $1000+ PC that I barely use to gaming, but well you say average so maybe I'm just out of that... But in the same way it seems that people think that console gamers only have a tablet or smartphone in their homes because having a good PC is just for the "master race"...

Social media platforms... The same people that make an outrage of everything but never buy games? Battlefield V is looking at you...

I don't think console gamers don't have PC's... but with the advent of smartphones/tablets/etc, I do think that kind of gaming PC is becoming less and less common among people who don't use them for gaming (and even less so their patience and ability to troubleshoot and maintain one if they did).  If console gamers having mid-to-high end gaming PC's was ever really a "thing" in the first place?

And yes, I don't like social media outrage as much as anyone but being on the right side of it is advantageous (and disasterous if you're on the wrong side) for obvious reasons we've seen countless times now.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

Exclusive means you get it first, not that nobody else will ever get it.

I don't mind simply because I would love to see Zelda on the PS4 (even though it won't happen).

I'm not a fan of 'wanting' games to stay off certain platforms. I still remember PSP owners getting shirty about Vice City Stories moving to PS2. I thought "Screw you! I want to play it".