Horizon Zero Dawn Confirmed for PC release this summer.

snakebit10

Just to play Devil’s Avocado....

Say your a PC player and you get to play the amazing Horizon Zero Dawn this summer. 

Then PlayStation announce HZD2 coming this autumn..great!!!...what,I’ve got to wait three years to play it on PC??! ....nah, I’m buying a PS5 right now!!!

Edited by Jadsii

This move doesn't make much sense to me. If I've learned one thing about the PC platform, it's that it has a lot of fanboys that basically worship it. Some of them act like they would sooner kill themselves before playing a game on anything other than PC. These people are obviously not going to run out and buy a PS5 because they just played Horizon. They're going to say, "Horizon? Great. Let me know when I need to start waiting for the next game." On top of that, there are many that have begrudgingly bought a PS4 just for the exclusives. I can't even count the amount of times I've read "I only have a PS4 for the exclusives" on places like the PS4 Reddit. Many of those people are just going to say, "Well, I guess I don't need to do that anymore. I'll just wait."

Now, while it doesn't matter to me how much profit Sony makes, it does matter to me which games come to PlayStation. That's what I have and play on, after all. As I'm sure most people know, Xbox did not sell anywhere near as well as PlayStation this generation. I don't think it's a coincidence that I often see a new game being listed for "PC, Switch, PS4". I'm pretty sure if the Xbox was up there with PlayStation they wouldn't keep skipping out on it. You need to sell systems in order for developers to want their games on it. Heck, some games have already started skipping the PS4. Smaller "indie" games like Gato Roboto and Kunai are only on PC and Switch. Even a game like Katamari Reroll is only on PC and Switch. I don't see how this doesn't get worse if PS5 doesn't sell that well.

If every game came to every console/PC, I would be fine with it. But that is obviously not going to happen. And I only ever see people begging for games to be ported to Switch or PC. At this point I will certainly be waiting to see what happens with the PS5. I'm not going to buy a system if many of the games I want are not released on it.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

You need to sell systems in order for developers to want their games on it. Heck, some games have already started skipping the PS4. Smaller "indie" games like Gato Roboto and Kunai are only on PC and Switch. Even a game like Katamari Reroll is only on PC and Switch.

Playstation and Xbox are notoriously expensive to work with for smaller developers.  Something they've worked on with certain independent developer initiatives but still a much higher barrier of entry than PC, and probably the Switch to some extent given how indies are flocking to it.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

This move doesn't make much sense to me. If I've learned one thing about the PC platform, it's that it has a lot of fanboys that basically worship it. Some of them act like they would sooner kill themselves before playing a game on anything other than PC. These people are obviously not going to run out and buy a PS5 because they just played Horizon. They're going to say, "Horizon? Great. Let me know when I need to start waiting for the next game." On top of that, there are many that have begrudgingly bought a PS4 just for the exclusives. I can't even count the amount of times I've read "I only have a PS4 for the exclusives" on places like the PS4 Reddit. Many of those people are just going to say, "Well, I guess I don't need to do that anymore. I'll just wait."

Now, while it doesn't matter to me how much profit Sony makes, it does matter to me which games come to PlayStation. That's what I have and play on, after all. As I'm sure most people know, Xbox did not sell anywhere near as well as PlayStation this generation. I don't think it's a coincidence that I often see a new game being listed for "PC, Switch, PS4". I'm pretty sure if the Xbox was up there with PlayStation they wouldn't keep skipping out on it. You need to sell systems in order for developers to want their games on it. Heck, some games have already started skipping the PS4. Smaller "indie" games like Gato Roboto and Kunai are only on PC and Switch. Even a game like Katamari Reroll is only on PC and Switch. I don't see how this doesn't get worse if PS5 doesn't sell that well.

If every game came to every console/PC, I would be fine with it. But that is obviously not going to happen. And I only ever see people begging for games to be ported to Switch or PC. At this point I will certainly be waiting to see what happens with the PS5. I'm not going to buy a system if many of the games I want are not released on it.

There, I completely agree... But don't forget about the Aloy naked mods!

14 minutes ago, Jadsii said:

Then PlayStation announce HZD2 coming this autumn..great!!!...what,I’ve got to wait three years to play it on PC??! ....nah, I’m buying a PS5 right now!!!

Says no PC gamer ever....

Edited by DeepEyes7

I mean FWIW, I've seen some pretty staunch PC assholes end up picking up PS4's.  One had a serious case of buyers remorse initially and unfriended me on Steam when I said he should try a few more games first... check back two years later and PS4 games are topping their GOTY lists.  It happens.

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

I mean FWIW, I've seen some pretty staunch PC assholes end up picking up PS4's.  One had a serious case of buyers remorse initially and unfriended me on Steam when I said he should try a few more games first... check back two years later and PS4 games are topping their GOTY lists.  It happens.

But why they choose PS4? Don't tell me that they change to PS4 to pay for the online? Or maybe to play a third-party game that they already have on PC (and surely looks better if they have a good PC)? Or to play online with a friend now that most games has cross-online?... Nope, they buy it for the exclusives... But will have they bought it if exclusives aren't a thing anymore?

MS buying studios and now PS giving exclusives... sigh...

10 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Playstation and Xbox are notoriously expensive to work with for smaller developers.  Something they've worked on with certain independent developer initiatives but still a much higher barrier of entry than PC, and probably the Switch to some extent given how indies are flocking to it.

That doesn't mean much when some of the smallest developers have already released games on PlayStation. It seems like everyone has already forgotten the "Indiestation" days. Axiom Verge released exclusively on PS4. Super Daryl Deluxe, a game almost no one has even heard of, released on PS4. If they can manage it, anyone can. Especially after making money from Switch and PC releases. And I'm pretty sure Bandai Namco could afford to release on PS4.

1 minute ago, ShadeSplit said:

That doesn't mean much when some of the smallest developers have already released games on PlayStation. It seems like everyone has already forgotten the "Indiestation" days. Axiom Verge released exclusively on PS4. Super Daryl Deluxe, a game almost no one has even heard of, released on PS4. If they can manage it, anyone can. Especially after making money from Switch and PC releases. And I'm pretty sure Bandai Namco could afford to release on PS4.

Yeah it's weird that devolver games have been skipping PS4, at least my friend pedro is coming finally. 

14 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

But why they choose PS4? Don't tell me that they change to PS4 to pay for the online? Or maybe to play a third-party game that they already have on PC (and surely looks better if they have a good PC)? Or to play online with a friend now that most games has cross-online?... Nope, they buy it for the exclusives... But will have they bought it if exclusives aren't a thing anymore?

MS buying studios and now PS giving exclusives... sigh...

It was definitely for exclusives.

You guys said that PC gamers never crossover, I'm saying I've seen it and that was on nothing but word of mouth.  Actually playing one of the better Playstation first party exclusives may very well give them a taste for more, especially with the PS5 launch and inevitable HZD sequel looming on the horizon.  There's no reason to believe this is the end of Playstation exclusives (the article even says as much).

10 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

Just because some can "manage it" doesn't mean they all want to.

Edited by Dreakon13

2 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Just because some can "manage it" doesn't mean they all want to.

Yes, I'm sure there are developers out there that don't want to make extra money and have more people playing their games.

12 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

Yeah it's weird that devolver games have been skipping PS4, at least my friend pedro is coming finally. 

It is odd, and I never see anyone talking about it. As I mentioned before, the situation is certainly not going to get better if the PS5 doesn't sell that well. There will only be more games skipping a PlayStation release.

8 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

Yes, I'm sure there are developers out there that don't want to make extra money and have more people playing their games.

If Sony and Microsoft are more expensive to work with, it may not be worth it upfront until they see how they do on PC/Switch first.  At which point they probably weigh if it's worth porting or moving onto another project.

8 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

It is odd, and I never see anyone talking about it. As I mentioned before, the situation is certainly not going to get better if the PS5 doesn't sell that well. There will only be more games skipping a PlayStation release.

I'm also not sure how you can attribute the lack of PS4 ports solely to exclusives and their impact on console sales... PS4 is one of the best selling consoles of all time.

Edited by Dreakon13

5 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

Now you have circled back to my original point.

Your original point was a lack of exclusives leading to a lack of console sales deterring developers from porting to the platform... something the PS4 has never had trouble with considering it has a great selection of exclusives and is one of the best selling consoles of all time.  You're taking a hypothetical scenario that hasn't happened and using it as reasoning for something that is apparently already happening.

That dubious point aside, it has nothing to do with Sony making it unattractive to port to with a higher cost of entry.

Edited by Dreakon13

39 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Says no PC gamer ever....

If PC players didn't buy a console for Rockstar Games they sure as fuck won't for Horizon 2. lol

People are straight up delusional. There may be ~some~ people who would feel that way, but I don't think it'll be many. I think it'll have more of the inverse effect, where there were PC gamers who were fine buying a PlayStation for it's exclcusives who are now put off buying a PS5 since they can just wait and hope to see a PC port in the future and save a few hundred on a useless console they don't need anymore.

I'm not against the decision personally, I just don't get why people are being delusional and thinking it's only going to be a positive magical decision that has no downsides at all. Let's not forget that MS didn't start with putting their games out on PC at the same time as Xbox. But that's where we are now, and their console is completely pointless to buy now. Sony needs to be careful how they go about it.

Though I wish they had done this with PS VR games instead, VR can use the freedom to grow. Astro Bot deserves to be played by all VR headsets possible

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Your original point was a lack of exclusives leading to a lack of console sales deterring developers from porting to the platform... something the PS4 has never had trouble with considering it has a great selection of exclusives and is one of the best selling consoles of all time.  You're taking a hypothetical scenario that hasn't happened and using it as reasoning for something that is happening.

That has nothing to do with Sony making it unattractive to port to with a higher cost of entry.

My original point was about less games being released on PlayStation. That is the issue. It doesn't really matter if a meteor is the cause.

3 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

My original point was about less games being released on PlayStation. That is the issue. It doesn't really matter if a meteor is the cause.

But understanding why some developers aren't porting to the PS4 despite its sales is important to the point.

2 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

I think the main issue is there's a bit more publicity if you claim "Switch exclusive" [even with PC version... because words mean nothing apparently] than if you put it on PS4 at the same time. Many indies have been "Switch exclusive" only to come out on PS4 (and even Xbone) later. That's not to say it's all PR scummery, some devs are legitimately small enough that they can't handle the porting process of that many platforms. And either have to find another company to do the work [like A Hat in Time devs], or do it themselves so just focus on one thing at a time.

And maybe some are just dumb and don't want to put their game on a console that's sold over a billion games. *shrug*

4 hours ago, snakebit10 said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-10-horizon-zero-dawn-confirmed-for-pc

I for one don't know how I feel about this. It is great that other people may experience it. I like the idea of exclusives to the PS brand. I hope it does not become a trend.

Yeah, I like the idea of it being a PS4-exclusive, but I'm also curious what PC modders could pull off with the game. 

14 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

I think the main issue is there's a bit more publicity if you claim "Switch exclusive" [even with PC version... because words mean nothing apparently] than if you put it on PS4 at the same time. Many indies have been "Switch exclusive" only to come out on PS4 (and even Xbone) later. That's not to say it's all PR scummery, some devs are legitimately small enough that they can't handle the porting process of that many platforms. And either have to find another company to do the work [like A Hat in Time devs], or do it themselves so just focus on one thing at a time.

And maybe some are just dumb and don't want to put their game on a console that's sold over a billion games. *shrug*

That's all true. I would not be surprised to see games like Gato Roboto and Kunai eventually released on PS4. But I wouldn't be surprised if they never are released either. And if those games are already lost with how well the PS4 has sold, there's certainly reason to believe that the PS5 will not get as many of these games. Never mind if the PS5 does not sell as well.

3 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

For starters, I think your average Playstation gamer isn't going to blow $1000+ switching to PC or anything over some potentially timed exclusives.

Secondly, kinda like cross-play, it doesn't help Sony or the Playstation brand directly but generates good PR for the company at a time where that sort of thing matters across social media platforms.  Plus strategic exposure to popular Playstation exclusives might generate some buzz in the sense of "hey, this is what we've been missing out on".

What about the gamers that already have decent PCs but still played on PS4?
I have such a PC and have opted not to buy any new Xbox console due to being able to get whatever Xbox game I want on my PC now.
That's one less console sold for  Xbox and I am not buying any games on the Xbox store.

Now I an pull back on PS games and just wait for complete PC versions. 
Cool, Sony gets some change from me for an old game and Sony has to give Steam a 30% cut of the sale.

So I can cut out the Xbox and PS from my purchase. Fewer consoles sold and I am not buying any games from their respective stores. 

Cool, huh? More people get to play for the sake of it.

Good PR? Where? The PR I see is a nightmare and Sony has to putout fires about being committed to PS5, yada yada, just experimenting with PC, blah blah blah. 
If it was good PR then they wouldn't have need to pair this news with paragraphs of spin at  the same time.

All of that "When people try HZD and see about HZD2 on PS5 will buy a PS5 immediately..." is just wishful thinking, Sony just wants to get more money for their games, nothing more, but maybe that will works the first time, next time people will wait.... TLoU2 will be a console seller? Not anymore, people that want to play TLoU2 already have a PS4 and the ones that will be drooling for it just will wait one or two more years to play it on PC (Yeah, the times will be shorter every time, we ALREADY SAW THAT on xbox).

Sony can't start a new gen with the right foot after a succesful one, we saw it with PS3 after PS2, I had hope but not anymore, the price reveal of PS5 will be atrocius and will be PS3 story all over again... Lets hope that the end of PS5 will be as fantastic as the one of PS3... I'm being too dramatic? Sure.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

What about the gamers that already have decent PCs but still played on PS4?
I have such a PC and have opted not to buy any new Xbox console due to being able to get whatever Xbox game I want on my PC now.
That's one less console sold for  Xbox and I am not buying any games on the Xbox store.

Now I an pull back on PS games and just wait for complete PC versions. 
Cool, Sony gets some change from me for an old game and Sony has to give Steam a 30% cut of the sale.

So I can cut out the Xbox and PS from my purchase. Fewer consoles sold and I am not buying any games from their respective stores. 

Cool, huh? More people get to play for the sake of it.

Good PR? Where? The PR I see is a nightmare and Sony has to putout fires about being committed to PS5, yada yada, just experimenting with PC, blah blah blah. 
If it was good PR then they wouldn't have need to pair this news with paragraphs of spin at  the same time.

One, "decent PC's" likely won't play proper PS5 releases/ports well.  I'm kinda doubting "decent PCs" are even playing proper PS4 releases/ports now.  At least, in any way that actually warrants it over the console itself.  If you bought or built a legit gaming PC that'll last you two console generations AND the consoles, by all means pick one and go with it, you silly goose.

Two, Microsoft has incentive to bring its catalog to PC because its one less Xbox bought but one more Windows PC used.  Connecting their two ecosystems makes sense.  Sony has no such incentive.  Whatever waters they're testing here will likely not change much down the road, and if it does it's because the response to it was positive (either sales, or good PR, or both).  If you want to wait 3, 5, 7, 10 years after a PS5 games release to see if any of them eventually come to PC so you can see if it runs on your "decent PC"... and you think that's to your advantage... well, bless your sweet little heart.

Three, you're kinda committed to the sky is falling approach here so I'm not going to waste my time explaining why giving more people the chance to play great games could lead to good PR.  The only nightmare right now is in your head.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 4