Gold Medalist - Online Wins Tips and Tricks (Huge tip inside!)

• 1 year later...
On 3/12/2020 at 0:12 PM, TheMarkopoloShow said:

*IMPORTANT - TIME SAVER!!* World tour wins count towards Online Friendly wins! Resulting in 100 Online Friendly wins rather than 250. A total of 500 wins will be needed. if you complete World Tour wins first.

Throughout my grind, I've come up with these tips and may help the rest of you complete these wins more efficiently;

This was great to know beforehand. Thanks for posting this and letting us know. This is something that I didn't really see anywhere else (when I did, it was under so many older posts in dead threads that nobody would find). 

Most of the trophies and gold medals in this game are fairly easy, but some were frustrating beyond belief (mainly the minigames). It's really poor game design when you implement trophies that require more luck than skill. And 500 online matches for 3 gold medals (not even trophies lol)... just wow. What were they thinking. 500 online matches in any game is already an insane amount that you would at least expect to receive a trophy for, but not this game. The gold medalist trophy is one of the most ridiculous trophies I've ever seen. The only trophy you're working towards is the gold medalist trophy as every other one will come along the way. My final time for plat was around 60 hours. When you think about it, I spent 60 hours on a bronze trophy. I thought grinding score attack in Max Payne 3 was the most mundane grind I've ever done, but I think Virtua Tennis 2009 takes the cake (not the longest but the most boring).

In regards to the trophies overall, I know that the game can be "cheesed" in quite a few areas in order to make some of the gold medals much easier, for example: buying duplicate court passes and not all 27 originals, completing duplicate academy missions with gold medals instead of all 30 unique missions, as well as completing duplicate minigames to level 8 instead of completing all 12 unique minigames to level 8. By utilizing multiple World Tour profiles, these become fairly easy as the game will give you the gold medals for these just based on the NUMBER that you have completed/purchased. It's not based on how many UNIQUE court passes or minigames you've completed (which is strange as the descriptions for the gold medals and trophies say otherwise). All in all, if you "cheese" the game like this, the plat is probably a 7/10 (depending on how good you are at tennis games). However, without these "cheese" methods (I did all legit), I'd say this is around an 8.5-9/10 difficulty. While boosting the 500 wins is easy now that the servers are dead, it's still not a walk in the park if you do the single player portion all legit. It doesn't help that this game is super glitchy and freezes quite often making it necessary to use workarounds to unlock certain trophies. 

Anyway, I know I've ranted quite a bit but I felt like I needed to vent a little. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great game, but getting the plat is a completely different story altogether. Thanks again for posting these tips, I know it saved me quite a bit of time (and potential grief) in the long run. 

Edited by z99f
  • Like 3

On 5/12/2021 at 7:04 PM, z99f said:

This was great to know beforehand. Thanks for posting this and letting us know. This is something that I didn't really see anywhere else (when I did, it was under so many older posts in dead threads that nobody would find). 

Anytime man, glad it helped :) Great to see you acquired the platinum also, congrats!!! That's interesting. I didn't see them myself but I didn't look into it too much nether.

Most of the trophies and gold medals in this game are fairly easy, but some were frustrating beyond belief (mainly the minigames). It's really poor game design when you implement trophies that require more luck than skill. And 500 online matches for 3 gold medals (not even trophies lol)... just wow. What were they thinking. 500 online matches in any game is already an insane amount that you would at least expect to receive a trophy for, but not this game. The gold medalist trophy is one of the most ridiculous trophies I've ever seen. The only trophy you're working towards is the gold medalist trophy as every other one will come along the way. My final time for plat was around 60 hours. When you think about it, I spent 60 hours on a bronze trophy. I thought grinding score attack in Max Payne 3 was the most mundane grind I've ever done, but I think Virtua Tennis 2009 takes the cake (not the longest but the most boring).

The way I see it here, mirrors a good chunk of older games, is those who were assigned in creating the trophies/achievements. Not the fault of the developers by any means. The problem is that those were assigned overlook the actual requirement of certain tasks and call it a day. There's a reason there in game challenge AND trophies/achievements. Why even waste a trophy on those requirements when they're already in game. It's a real shame as well and I would say that the creators of the trophies aren't even gamers themselves and wouldn't know the grind involved. In which case they definitely overlooked "Gold Medalist" as they'd have assumed it was easy due to it being a bronze trophy... As well as having separate trophies for small amount of online games, there's more evidence. and that's a real shame. Sure the way the medals work is when you unlock bronze, it then reveals then next requirement for silver, then gold so it may have been some mix up. Still really unfortunate!

In regards to the trophies overall, I know that the game can be "cheesed" in quite a few areas in order to make some of the gold medals much easier, for example: buying duplicate court passes and not all 27 originals, completing duplicate academy missions with gold medals instead of all 30 unique missions, as well as completing duplicate minigames to level 8 instead of completing all 12 unique minigames to level 8. By utilizing multiple World Tour profiles, these become fairly easy as the game will give you the gold medals for these just based on the NUMBER that you have completed/purchased. It's not based on how many UNIQUE court passes or minigames you've completed (which is strange as the descriptions for the gold medals and trophies say otherwise). All in all, if you "cheese" the game like this, the plat is probably a 7/10 (depending on how good you are at tennis games). However, without these "cheese" methods (I did all legit), I'd say this is around an 8.5-9/10 difficulty. While boosting the 500 wins is easy now that the servers are dead, it's still not a walk in the park if you do the single player portion all legit. It doesn't help that this game is super glitchy and freezes quite often making it necessary to use workarounds to unlock certain trophies. 

Wow, never even know of these! Tbh, I played this years back and was playing it for fun and it was arcade like and didn't require precision shots or anything and ended up getting everything other than gold medalist. And yes, some of the minigames were definitely frustrating haha. Great info here anyway, nice to know this to compensate for the online portion!

Anyway, I know I've ranted quite a bit but I felt like I needed to vent a little. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great game, but getting the plat is a completely different story altogether. Thanks again for posting these tips, I know it saved me quite a bit of time (and potential grief) in the long run. 

Well deserved rant, I have the same thoughts but I don't express them because I just try to deal with it ? I didn't play much of the other games but I found this game easy to get into with its arcade-like gameplay.Yeah agreed, it was definitely overlook and probably no communication involved. May have been a late Friday afternoon lol. No problem at all man. It's a great feeling to have it out of the way! Congrats again on your plat, well deserveddedicationn :)

• Like 1