Opinions on this game?

So I'm up to chapter 5...

I'm really not digging this game. Story is a little obscure. It looks nice but I feel like it's all over the place (gameplay, storywise, control wise)

I know it's an old game but at the time it was released I remember people raving about this game.

What's your take on it?

It's definitely interesting and an acquired taste. I liked it for the most part besides the gameplay messing me up at times. I like it for the 12ish dollars I paid for it but definitely wouldn't be grabbing a sequel day one if there ever is one. Best way I can describe it is "it's an indie that has a lot of ideas but sadly never reaches full potential"

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I dug it enough to platinum it 4.5 years ago, there are only 3 weapons but there is a deceptive amount of depth. Combos change depending on if you rapidly press the attack button, briefly delay before hitting the attack button, or hold down to charge the attack button during the combo. There is also the rock-paper-scissors mechanic in which every weapon is weak or strong against a different weapon type so you have to keep stealing weapons to keep the upper hand. Of note for combo-based melee games of this era, there are zero quick-time events, other than the punchout-esque revive system to mash any button to get back up after you run out of HP. The art style is also just fantastic.

The story does seem puzzling, but once you complete the game and then replay it many earlier cut scenes will make sense.  I really liked it but couldn't master the battle system well enough to 100% the game.  Might dust it off again someday if I can get through some of the rest of my backlog!