Listing of monsters (complete) and subduing quests

ladynadiad

Since finding the monsters is probably one of the harder trophies in the game, I thought to give a listing of them all. If you want hints without answers, my biggest word of advice would be to talk to everyone in the towns and if you can't find a monster to subdue, progress the story and go back.  Talking to NPCs is especially important because they'll tell you locations of optional areas and give hints about optional monsters to find.  Some locations won't even show up until an NPC tells you about it.

Monsters:

Spoiler

Cat Sith (Ishiri) - Automatically at the beginning of the game

Minivern (Levi) - Automatically in the story

Griffon (Brave) - In Owl Forest, go back to the area where you met the adult griffon and the prince.  Investigate and a griffon cub will come out and join

Alarune (Alulu) - In Istwall City the innkeeper talks about her husband going missing.  You'll find him with an Alarune in Tranquil Lake.

Sylph (Windie) - Automatically in the story

Sylph (Flaire) - Automatically in the story

Ghost (Yucklew) - Just randomly popped out and offered to join while I was exploring a story dungeon

Gilgusus (Gonya) - Automatically in the story

Ouroboros (Boros) - Part of a subdue quest.  First you'll have to chase it and then beat it in a fight and then it joins (Note: Make sure you are prepared for this one because retreating counts as a defeat in this one, but if you have to return to title and haven't saved in a bit just select continue and you'll start again near where you were)

Sealtrice (Molmol) - Automatically in the story

Kelpie (Khid) - Part of a subdue quest, but not the monster you subdue.  You have to finish the quest to defeat Toki in Dragon Palace.  After that Ellen joins.  Talk to the kelpies to leave and you'll be offered an option to ask it to join, pick that and it joins.

Roc (Giruna) - Part of a subdue quest, see below for how to even get it to appear.  Will join once beaten.

Salamander (Hinoko) - In the volcano there is some firewood, investigate it and choose to light it.  This will start a small quest chain as you progress in the area, at the end it will join.

Mermaid (Ellen) - You meet her as part of the story, but she doesn't join until after Toki is defeated in Dragon Palace.

Golem (Tetsu) - Part of a subdue quest, beat it and it joins

Cerberus (Kuro) - After you get the sealtrice, go to the Dark Marsh once the quest is available (it you don't have it, go to Ohana village and talk to everyone).  Go further in until you reach the dwarven settlement.  You'll find Kohaku there and he'll tell you that the cerberus likes harp music.  As you are leaving, go visit the creature again and play the harp.  After it falls asleep go inside and then defeat the enemies.  The cerberus joins then.

Jack-o'-Lantern (William) - Up in the northeast there is a spot you can land that has a small lake.  Visit this.  Talk to the passed out monster and then grab water for it.  It will join after given water.

Ectoplasm (Elis) - Part of a subdue quest, see below for tips on how to get it to show up.

Yeti (Naughti) - After finishing up the events in Lani, go north in the unnamed trail, you should now be able to use the north exit on the screen with the cabin.  Go meet the yeti.  Then later make sure to talk to the guy at the cabin and then go back to Lani.  Follow the hunters when they go to kill the yeti, your character will decide to protect it and take it with him.

Adamant (Carbuncle) - Once you reach Deselle City, make sure to visit the homes.  You'll see this monster show up and people complain of things going missing.  You'll also hear of a girl who noticed a brooch go missing.  The brooch was seen in Kelt earlier in the game, go back to Kelt and talk to the nun.  The carbuncle will join after that.

Bahamutina (Tina) - Part of a subdue quest, defeat and you'll get it

Beserk (Julius) - Part of a subdue quest, defeat and you'll get it

Phoenix (Flamie) - When taking the pass to Deselle City there is a tree on the second screen.  Make sure to interact with the tree and then leave the pass.  At the entrance of Deselle City talk to the young man and listen to the secret.  Then go back to the pass and cross the bridge to where the tree was earlier and the traveler is there with a fire lit.  Investigate the fire, throw the phoenix tale feather that Miranda gave you into the fire.  The Phoenix will appear and join. 

Gossamer (Nghi) - Go to the Ringing Forest.  On the western screen there is a bell wearing unicorn, talk to it and then it will walk off.  Follow it.  Keep doing so until a new exit is opened, this leads to Elven Village.  In there approach every gossamer until you find one that lets you talk to it.  It will ask for sweets, once you offer three, it will join.  If you don't have three sweets to give, explore other towns.  You'll need candy, sakuramochi and honey apple pie.

Unicorn (Zephyr) - Once in the Elven village, speak with the elder in the top house.  She'll tell a story.  After the story is finished, leave the village and talk to the bell-wearing unicorn.  It will join you.  You'll have to fight a battle afterwards, but it's pretty easy.

There's also the dragon you get in the story, the ones above are all the ones that can also be in your party.  The white pancho that is also a transport method is obtained via premium content, and shouldn't count for the trophy.

Subdue quests:

Spoiler

Only going to list off the ones here that require more than find monster in X dungeon and defeat it.  If you're having trouble finding any not mentioned here, just keep looking in the dungeon and you'll find them.

Giruna - You won't find this one the first time you visit Wolf Pass.  However, on one screen you'll find a suspicious flower with a "ladylike" scent.  Take note of this location, because that is where it appears.  Come back after you've subdued more monsters.  Seems subduing 14 monsters is needed to get this one to appear.

Toki - Once you get a quest to visit Dragon Palace, this one is doable.  First go to Tranquil Lake and you'll find a weird creature, talk to it and jump on its back.  You'll end up in the palace.  Explore around until you meet the mermaid you freed earlier, Ellen.  She'll take you to the entrance and give you a means to escape, but you don't want to do this quite yet.  Go back to where you found Ellen and go further in.  You'll see two robed figures, they'll attack and you'll need to beat them.  Then go up to the throne room and talk to the mermaid on the throne.  That's Toki, she'll attack and once you beat her the quest is complete.  If you left, you can go back by investigating the whirlpool by the u shaped island in the southwestern part of the world map while on the sealtrice.

Ectoplasm - This quest was an incredible pain.  First, you have to get the ghost ship to even show up.  Go talk to people in Deselle City until the ghost ship quest appears, if I recall right the guy who gives a location is in the arena.  The ship appears just east of the beach leading towards Lani.  Head east from there and you'll see a ship, enter it.  Then go up from where you enter to go deeper into the ship.  At the bottom you'll be in a seemingly normal area with people to talk to.  There is a puzzle here.  Talk to each of the people and find out which flower represents which months.  Then look at the bookshelf, and note the order of the months.  Next to that is a table, you'll want the flowers to be in the order of the months in the books.  Once that is done it will say to go to the left window.  Go north a bit and look out the leftmost window.  Then the area should change to dungeon, you'll now find the Ectoplasm in the bottom right corner.  Defeat it and it will join.

Yggdrasil - Not there when you first go to Lani, but after finishing up the events in the inner cavern and go back to the trail, head south and you'll find it on the left side of that screen.  If it's still not there, then progress the story and go back.

You can skip a few subduing quests and still get the trophy, but since you have to find all monsters,you can't skip the quests to subdue Giruna, Toki, Ectoplasm, Ouroboros, Golem, Beserk, and Bahamutina for sure.  None of this stuff is missable though and you can save those quests for the end if needed, though it is good to do them as you progress in the story to get better monsters, money and experience.  The Ouroboros and then the Beserk were my choices for my party, but the Bahamutina is also pretty good.  It is also possible that you could gain the trophy via the Tower of Rao, but not all the monsters were found in my run so I can't confirm it.

Tower of Rao can be found towards the end of the game once you can fly. It's in the mountains close to Wolf Pass.  It's a roguelike area where you start at level 1 with just the main character and Aira and have to find equipment and allies as you progress.  It's 50 floors in total and the monsters grow stronger as you get higher.  It's pretty easy, but very tedious.  You can grind as needed to ensure you are able to handle the monsters since it's still random encounters.  If you have the experience premium item, no grinding will be needed.

For the 50k and 100k damage trophies, you want to maximize your crit rate and crit percentages and then make use of buffs and debuffs to further increase your damage.  You'll need to be very highly leveled as well.  I got it with the Bahamutina monster because that monster had a skill with the highest crit rate and crit damage amount and you just use that skill and hope it crits.  You'll also need to do this on a monster that can soak up a lot of damage since most monsters would die from the skills used to debuff them, so the golden pancho or the monster that wanders around and you encounter randomly once it's pretty highly leveled too.  The golden pancho can be a bit tricky to use since it often runs away before you finish getting the debuffs on.

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 3

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the guide, great help.

Few things?

With Phoenix(Flamie), the man in Deselle City didn't appear to me when I first arrived there and after the story event. Turns out, you need to visit and talk to the tree first in Golmadra Pass (2nd area when entering from left side), then warp to Deselle City to make the man appear. talk to him then go back to The Tree and talk to the man again. Miranda is also in the garden(north of 1st area) in Deselle City.

Giruna Subdue quest - I have been going back to the spot where it should appear after every story event until Story 23 and it won't appear. Then I subdued 14 Monsters and it finally appeared.

@JaM Good to know with those two. went ahead and updated those.   I must have talked to the tree at some point when running through the pass and didn't realize it was also a condition.  Hopefully the rest of the monsters are smooth sailing for you! 

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 1:45 PM, seiya6380 said:

hello I don't understand where is the jack o lantern. Can anybody explain ?

Northeastern part of world map.  I admit it's been a long time since I last played the game, but I remember I found this one while trying to find the ghost ship, so definitely more on the eastern side.  Its going to be a location that you can enter but is only about a screen in size.  You just enter and see the Jack O Lantern lying there by a body of water.

Sorry I can't give anything more, it was one I found by sheer luck to be honest.

• 10 months later...

I know this is an topic but for Alarune you need to buy the grapes from the fruit vendor in Istwall Palace Town, The first time I spoke to him this event was not unlocked so I forgot all about this and then spent for too long trying to get Alarune to join you.