Will I like this game?

AJ_Radio

I very much feel without question that the original Red Dead Redemption is quite possibly my favorite game of the PS3/360 era, and definitely the most memorable and enjoyable. I have some pesky online trophies that I hope to fully finish at some point, but that's merely to revisit the world of RDR.

I've heard very mixed feelings about this sequel. Some say it has a great story, but is an absolute pain to get gold medals in the story missions. The online I hear isn't as good, which is a real shame considering how much I loved the original RDR multiplayer, so much so I spent countless hours on both 360 and PS3. Furthermore this sequel takes longer to platinum than Grand Theft Auto V, and it's much more tedious and annoying than the original game.

The cast of characters look solid. The game itself looks great. But is it as much fun to play in as it looks good to be in like the original RDR 10 years ago?

No story spoilers please.

I'd recommend it. The gold medals are easier now then ever and the online gets better all the time. I actually love the mp, I still play it even after getting the plat.

The story, the world, the gameplay is all top notch imo. I normally don't give a rats ass about story but I really do love the story in this game. When they announced it was going to be a prequel I was a little worried about them having to write backwards but they really nailed it.

• Like 2

The game to me is pretty bloody amazing so much I bought a copy for my Xbox One and PS4. I will warm though compared to their other games there is a grind, a really big grind wether in single player or online to the point that's honestly what set alot of people off the game it made hem respond negatively. But the grinding is very rewarding and the fact the game takes itself unlike other Rockstar titles a little more into the realm of realism. Means you really do get to choose and play the game as you want. (If you plan to do the a full trophy list completion I would recommend using a guide as some missions can be locked of missed if you don't certain things in game.)

It has a good story and the world looks nice, but I found the gameplay uninteresting and at times tedious. I don't even mean all the grinding for trophy-related stuff, but just the gameplay in general. Gameplay is the most important thing in a game for me, and it felt like Rockstar completely forgot about how it actually felt to play when they spent so much time focusing on the realism and detail of the world. The story really was great at times, and one character is probably my favourite video game character of all time, but for me it didn't make up for how much the game fails in other areas.

Overall I had a negative experience playing this game, and I couldn't have been happier when it ended.

Also, I think the gold medals have been made easier with patches.

• Like 3

I don't like GTA V very much but RDR 2 is my one of my Big Game Loves. So that you like and platinumed GTA V doesn't mean you'll like RDR 2 too. I would recommend it, the Platinum is not hard, but very time consumpting and you need a lot of patience for it. One of the greatest Games i've played in 30 years. But you have to like the Western Setting and don't rush through the game. My Highlights in this game were the Story and the World. I'll never delete this game from my PS 4 HDD.

I do not like the Online Mode, the Grind to Level 50 was the most boring Trophy of the Game for me.

Edited by Sikutai

I want to say you will enjoy it . But I also think you won't. I agree with @Shadiochao, the story is great, and you will love seeing what Dutch and Marston were up to before the original RDR that you liked so much.

But there is where the good things end. Gameplay is very dated and extremely tedious at times, online (regardless of trophies) is fun for 5 hours but then you notice the insulting lack of content.

And of course knowing your completionist tendencies I have to mention the trophy list. Gold Medals, despite what you might have heard, are not that challenging or tedious to get, and are even easier now. But having read that you got tired of the open world checklists that were Just Cause and Mad Max, be warned... This might be the grindiest checklist of them all. And while you'll go 'wow' and 'woah' and 'look at that amazing tree' at the beginning, 100 hours in you will have had enough. 

So yes, I think you will appreciate this game for the setting, the world, the story... But you might be extremely annoyed by the actual gameplay and trophy requirements. That's what happened to me. I spent 150 hours with this game, of which 5/50 hours online were enjoyable and 50-60/100 hours offline were good too. The rest was pretty tedious.

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

I hated Red Dead Redemption but 2 is one of my favourite games. Story is fantastic and so are the characters. Game is a must play.

Can’t comment too much on the gold medals because I haven’t done that many.

I don’t like online in general but Red Dead Online is really fun. The jobs, the Showdown Series, and the story missions are all really pretty good these days. 

• Like 1

You are doing yourself a disservice if you don’t play it.

I have only done online so far and it is like a full game in itself.  It is like a open-world single-player PvE (or multiplayer PvP if you prefer) experience.  It can be very casual and you get lost in the world.  Easy to rank up now.

I can’t believe I get a full story mode after this.

I think that all of us have had the same feeling, a point where the beauty in the game gone away, and you just think in the grind. I suffered that during the challenges for 100% and Zoologist trophy. But, honestly, I could pass It, and enjoy till the end. Probably, greatest game of this gen, but for a trophy hunter, you ll get mad for sure at some moment...

8 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I spent 150 hours with this game, of which 5/50 hours online were enjoyable and 50-60/100 hours offline were good too. The rest was pretty tedious.

So the game itself is good but you wouldnt recommend to go for the platinum?

I mean, 50-60 hours is basically the whole playtrough (+ side missions and exploration), the rest is tedious stuff to get the platinum like studying and skinning animals.

I have a similar opinion, it is a very good game ( I would give it a 8.5 or a 9.0) but the Platinum requirements are a nightmare and they left a bad taste in my mouth.

I agree with the MP part, Gta Online is mediocre at best and RDR Online is a worse version of it.However,lets be honest, the MP is nothing more than a cheap addition with the intention to milk weak willed people. The difference in quality ( and amount of content) is ridiculous. That said, you get a full SP game with 70 hours of content ( the game is still a SP game at heart) so it doesnt matter to me how bad the MP is. I wouldnt have played the MP at all, if not for the platinum.

Edited by GoDBoss173

The game is a gem and I would dare say it's even better than RDR. The story, characters and world are top level and Rockstar's attention to detail is brilliant as usual. There is a significant drop in quality with the Online mode, true, but I still enjoyed it - the problem is the ridiculous amount of time needed to reach lv. 50, an insane grind.

You already know how time consuming it is, but looking at your profile, you've already completed many grindy games. Honestly, if you have endured JC3, it would be a crime not to play RDR2 ?

Edited by DocJackson-

The online was not that good and absolutely terrible grind to get to 50 and get some money for very expensive items, but ever since the roles update it got better and better as a whole, and way easier when it comes to trophies.

The gold medals for missions were terrible because it didn't keep your current inventory, it was a set one, and a poor one at that. Most importantly, they gave you pretty much the worse horse they could so you would run out of stamina and items to refill it and yeah it was frustrating overall and specially on timed missions. But I heard they patched that so your concerns about that should be no more. I must say though, red dead online is similar to gta online, not exactly as old rdr1 online.

But anyways do yourself a favor and play this masterpiece.

13 hours ago, Arcesius said:

But there is where the good things end. Gameplay is very dated and extremely tedious at times, online (regardless of trophies) is fun for 5 hours but then you notice the insulting lack of content.

And of course knowing your completionist tendencies I have to mention the trophy list. Gold Medals, despite what you might have heard, are not that challenging or tedious to get, and are even easier now. But having read that you got tired of the open world checklists that were Just Cause and Mad Max, be warned... This might be the grindiest checklist of them all. And while you'll go 'wow' and 'woah' and 'look at that amazing tree' at the beginning, 100 hours in you will have had enough. 

So yes, I think you will appreciate this game for the setting, the world, the story... But you might be extremely annoyed by the actual gameplay and trophy requirements. That's what happened to me. I spent 150 hours with this game, of which 5/50 hours online were enjoyable and 50-60/100 hours offline were good too. The rest was pretty tedious.

You strip the setting and the theme and you'll find that even the original Red Dead Redemption was an open world game with a checklist. But it was done extremely well and there was a perfect balance of story content and side content (Strangers & Freaks), even better than Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood. It was done so well I went back and replayed some missions and ran around the open world map looking for something to do.

Is the online still fun though? This concerns me because the original RDR multiplayer was an absolute blast to play. I loved taking down forts and then joining in a multiplayer match to get into a showdown. But a lot of people say the online in the sequel just isn't that good. I can't say how it is myself because I haven't played it, in fact I've avoided looking at it too much because I want Red Dead Redemption 2 to be a mostly blind experience when I get around to playing it.

Hopefully they changed the Gold Medals to where you can obtain them in more than one attempt. In GTA V you can get a few Gold Medals in story missions but if you miss one you can just go back and replay the mission. In RDR 2 you basically had to obtain them all on the first run when the game released, I don't know if that is any different now.

All of Rockstar's stuff from GTA IV forward has been pretty time consuming, so not surprised that RDR 2 is basically the longest of all of them. Finding all those animals and skinning them looks to be very time consuming on it's own. Definitely not a game to rush through, better to take your time even if it takes people a year to platinum.

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

I very much feel without question that the original Red Dead Redemption is quite possibly my favorite game of the PS3/360 era, and definitely the most memorable and enjoyable. I have some pesky online trophies that I hope to fully finish at some point, but that's merely to revisit the world of RDR.

I've heard very mixed feelings about this sequel. Some say it has a great story, but is an absolute pain to get gold medals in the story missions. The online I hear isn't as good, which is a real shame considering how much I loved the original RDR multiplayer, so much so I spent countless hours on both 360 and PS3. Furthermore this sequel takes longer to platinum than Grand Theft Auto V, and it's much more tedious and annoying than the original game.

The cast of characters look solid. The game itself looks great. But is it as much fun to play in as it looks good to be in like the original RDR 10 years ago?

Dont overthink it. game is fucking great. play it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

I laugh at you only alone for asking whether you could like this game or not. Especially when you speak so good about the first game. Most stupid question ever! Really. When I hear this utter bullshit about caring not to play it because of the trophies then don't play it. Plat is hard work, nothing for wanky easy peasy babies. Better stay away from it and play My Name Is Mayo.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Solid-Fisch said:

I laugh at you only alone for asking whether you could like this game or not. Especially when you speak so good about the first game. Most stupid question ever! Really. When I hear this utter bullshit about caring not to play it because of the trophies then don't play it. Plat is hard work, nothing for wanky easy peasy babies. Better stay away from it and play My Name Is Mayo.

Sometimes it's better to get player input from those who went through the game than to not ask anything at all. How is that a stupid question?

It ain't bullshit dude. I did Super Meat Boy and that took me over two years to finish, so I know what a time consuming platinum feels like. Also did My Name Is Mayo back in 2016 thank you very much.

• Like 3

On 3/14/2020 at 3:09 PM, Spaz said:

its an amazing game. its very slow paced but the story is impeccable. on the other hand trophies are hella boring and annoying...this is the only platinum i got in 2020

16 hours ago, Spaz said:

You strip the setting and the theme and you'll find that even the original Red Dead Redemption was an open world game with a checklist. But it was done extremely well and there was a perfect balance of story content and side content (Strangers & Freaks), even better than Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood. It was done so well I went back and replayed some missions and ran around the open world map looking for something to do.

Absolutely, and I adored RDR when I played it back on the X360. I enjoyed the story in RDR2 too, but I guess my gaming taste has changed in the past 10 years, and while hunting animals and collecting flowers was fun for a while, it got pretty old towards the end. 

16 hours ago, Spaz said:

Is the online still fun though? This concerns me because the original RDR multiplayer was an absolute blast to play. I loved taking down forts and then joining in a multiplayer match to get into a showdown. But a lot of people say the online in the sequel just isn't that good. I can't say how it is myself because I haven't played it, in fact I've avoided looking at it too much because I want Red Dead Redemption 2 to be a mostly blind experience when I get around to playing it.

No. Absolutely not fun. It was a miserable experience, but you are lucky that it "only" takes about 30 hours now to reach rank 50. It took me 51 hours, and it was an absolute pain. But hey, I'm just not a PvP guy, so maybe it will be different for you (I doubt it). 

16 hours ago, Spaz said:

Hopefully they changed the Gold Medals to where you can obtain them in more than one attempt. In GTA V you can get a few Gold Medals in story missions but if you miss one you can just go back and replay the mission. In RDR 2 you basically had to obtain them all on the first run when the game released, I don't know if that is any different now.

You still have to do all requirements in one go. But believe me, it was not that bad even before they gave in and patched the trophy. What changed is that now you can replay missions with your end-game gear, while previously you had to manage with a standard horse and standard weapons. 

you will like it, but if your going for the platinum you will hate it by the time your finished. every bad story you have heard about the game is 100% true. the grinds are ridiculous. i put in over 400 hours. but, its still a good game. the first mission you will hate and make you think its the worse game ever but i urge people to get past that mission and it gets alot better. that fist mission makes you want to return the game.  its just a game you have to go into saying to yourself ima be playing this a long time, rushing wont make a difference so play for fun as much as possible. its def not a game to play for trophies unless you really want a challenge to see how long itll take before you break something within reaching distance of where you are sitting

The game is amazing if you play it for fun, the trophy list sucks. Its horrible. I tried going for the trophies and gave up, I might pick up on it again when I mentally recovered, haha. The PowerPyx guide says over estimated time to plat: 350 hours. So that can end up with many more hours. To achieve 350 hours you literally have to focus on everything from the start and keep in mind trophies which is not something you want to do with this game.

People who got this platinum though: shoutout! Absolute mad lads!

• Like 1

I got the platinum yesterday and without doubt the most rewarding platinum ever. I invested a total of 339 hours [inc online], and now am playing online, and enjoying it more. I purchased a Day 1 release, so this plat took me about 1 year and 4 months to achieve. I have a 6 and 2 month break in between.

This game is a technical masterpiece. The world created by Rockstar is breathtaking. You could spend hours just wandering, however if you want to Plat the game, then prepare for a long slog, this game will test your patience, and if you have a short fuse, then RDR2 plat is not for you. 

Edited by Eshaal
  • Like 1

There is a fine line between genius and isanity. Likewise, in gaming there is a fine line between realism and boredom.

I'd say it worth a try.. I liked hunting birds, scanning animals, breaking horses and all the mini games. Some missions are fun to play too but in general it was a negative experience for sure. Length was the main issue for me especially when combined with repetitivness and slow paced gameplay.

• Like 1

unpopular opinion: the game is mediocre...loved the first one, this one was the probably most disappointing gaming experience I've ever had...no spoilers...story, basically just blah, blah, blah and relatively predictable...chapter 4, random and unnecessary...epilogue, I skipped most of the cutscenes due to sheer boredom...i found doing the collectibles and side missions far better than the story since there was minimal unnecessary drivel and the world setting is nice...2nd unpopular opinion: I enjoyed the gold medal stuff...the limited loadout focused on skillful gameplay which made it less repetitive...could skip much of the dialogue as well as a bonus...summary...this game is like jimi hendrix...you either love or hate it...

edit: and for those that say "it's so realistic", I'd like to see y'all wrestle a grizzly bear in real life and pull off the same knife counter kill 18 times...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 2