Splinter Cell needs 12GB to be installed!

Eh? 12GB isn't that much for a PS3 game, it's pretty common. As you yourself say, a blu-ray disc usually can contain up to 25GB or 50GB of data, 12GB is half of 25GB. xD It's not like they can make it be less data in the download than on the blu-ray disc without something missing from the game. They do compress it though, but my guess is it will take about the same amount of space on both disc and download. I don't know what you complain about though, as there are plenty of other games that takes up more space than this. At least they haven't tried to limit it to fit on a dual-layer DVD (X360). :P

Edited by MMDE

Really comes off as lazy having huge installs like this, even more so when you have games like TLoU & BioShock not needing them at all.

Eh? 12GB isn't that much for a PS3 game, it's pretty common. As you yourself say, a blu-ray disc usually can contain up to 25GB or 50GB of data, 12GB is half of 25GB. xD It's not like they can make it be less data in the download than on the blu-ray disc without something missing from the game. They do compress it though, but my guess is it will take about the same amount of space on both disc and download. I don't know what you complain about though, as there are plenty of other games that takes up more space than this. At least they haven't tried to limit it to fit on a dual-layer DVD (X360). :P

12GB install from the disc.

• Like 1

LOL!

this reminded me of GT5, it need at least 9GB to run, then update after update after update made it Required 18GB just so the game can run smooth with less loading times.

but 12GB as a start? xD i wonder how much watch dogs will gonna need then. 

Played GT5 but I don't remember if its needed 9GB to install.

But still its alot since they are using blu ray which can hold up 50GB of space. No need to install.

That's nothing compared to 40gb for uncharted 3.

That is full game from the PSN and not from the disc. All Uncharted games never asked to install more than 1GB and the rest are all DLCS or patches. But Splinter Cell is on the disc and asking to install 12GB from the disc which is kind weird.

Played GT5 but I don't remember if its needed 9GB to install.

it may reach 9GB if you install a part of the game on the HDD to shorten the loading times, now with all the patches happen to the game now it reach 18 or 17GB just to enjoy the game at best

man these developers need to stop getting rushy when developing their games, just like you said we now have a Blu-Ray discs with 50GB as a size, why do we need to install extra GB on the ps3's HDD to play the games for?

only developers who's understand this and got used to the size of the BR this generation is naughty dog, and also i give credits to squareenix with FFXIII.. 40,1GB as the real size of the game on disc and it will never know anything about an installing, i got surprised when i put the game on my ps3 and after booting it up the game run the opening and then the start menu, but, the game suck to be honest. 

Edited by yellowwindow7

it may reach 9GB if you install a part of the game on the HDD to shorten the loading times, now with all the patches happen to the game now it reach 18 or 17GB just to enjoy the game at best

man these developers need to stop getting rushy when developing their games, just like you said we now have a Blu-Ray discs with 50GB as a size, why do we need to install extra GB on the ps3's HDD to play the games for?

only developers who's understand this and got used to the size of the BR this generation is naughty dog, and also i give credits to squareenix with FFXIII.. 40,1GB as the real size of the game on disc and it will never know anything about an installing, i got surprised when i put the game on my ps3 and after booting it up the game run the opening and then the start menu, but, the game suck to be honest. 

Ohh man that is a lot 18. Yeah, I agree with you. Naughty is the only developer who took full advantage of the blu ray and nothing to install.

Edited by Syphon_Filter

12GB install from the disc.

You will see this a lot more on PS4, in fact, a lot of games will be almost full installs like on X1. At least it's optional for the developer on PS4, but on X1 the developers are forced to make it all installed on HDD.

In any case, it's a requirement because it's faster to read from HDD than from an optical media such as blu-ray.

Edited by MMDE

• 2 weeks later...

Even though this is a week old, as PS3 users, you guys should know better. It's not the developers being "lazy" that's pure ignorance on your part. BD read speed is not very fast, and SC has a LOT of data to go through. Just listen to the game while you play, it's constantly being read non-stop. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...