Currently an awfull year in gaming

dannyswfc9

Hi all. 

Currently 3 months in and ive never known in 10 years of playstation gaming a start to a year with so little AAA games. Ive even looked towards may and only game ive seen is tlou 2 which may get delayed. 

In 2019 by the end of march we had

Far cry new dawn

Kingdom hearts 3

Athem (which was awfull but still AAA)

Division 2

Metro exodus

Jump force

Devil may cry 5

Sekiro

Apex legends

In 2018 we had

A few decent vr games

Monster hunter world

Far cry 5

Burnout paradise

Shadow of tbe collosus

It might be because its coming to an end of a generation and games like cyberpunk and watchdogs have been delayed.

At least of my backlog is improving ?.

Would love to know your thoughts

Edited by dannyswfc9
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LucileRosethorn said:

It's not an awful year in gaming, there's plenty of good games which have came out but you're only looking for Triple A games so there's your problem.

He is talking about AAA games in his starting post and he’s right. There are always good smaller games in-between big games, that’s every year the same.

But the AAA release this year is slow and I’m sure it’s because of the new console launch ahead of us.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Hi all. 

Currently 3 months in and ive never known in 10 years of playstation gaming a start to a year with so little AAA games. Ive even looked towards may and only game ive seen is tlou 2 which may get delayed. 

In 2019 by the end of march we had

Far cry new dawn

Kingdom hearts 3

Athem (which was awfull but still AAA)

Division 2

Metro exodus

Jump force

Devil may cry 5

Sekiro

Apex legends

In 2018 we had

A few decent vr games

Monster hunter world

Far cry 5

Burnout paradise

Shadow of tbe collosus

It might be because its coming to an end of a generation and games like cyberpunk and watchdogs have been delayed.

At least of my backlog us improving 1f601.png.

Would love to know your thoughts

The first 2-3 months have nothing to offer but...

the rest of the year has ridiculous potential.

Nioh 2 is a good game. Doom will be good too.

FF7R, Resident evil 3, TloU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk have potential to be 90+ metascore games and I think that at least 3 of them will be 90+.

Then there might be some non- hype games with nice potential like Tales of Arise, Biomutant, etc.

IMO the strongest gaming years this gen were 2017 and 2018. 2020 ( as a whole) has more potential so lets see.

EDIT: How could I forget Dying Light 2 ? It is probably in my top 3 most anticipated games this year.

Edited by GoDBoss173
  • Like 2

I don't really mind a drought in games since it gives me sometime to catch up on buying previous releases  that and I've got all three systems since I got Animal Crossing I'll be getting friday and I want to get Ori and will of the wisps on xbox one and on Playstation I still plan on getting Dreams and Dragonball Z Kakarot.

April I'll probably get these games at some point(Probably will get them sometime later this year though)
Disaster Report 4
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Resident Evil 3
Sakura Wars

and think Doom Eternal comes out this month too and Nioh 2 just recently came out.

• Like 2

There's been plenty of games released this year already. Just because you dont like them, that doesnt mean that there's nothing coming out or that it's somehow an awful year for gaming. 

We've already gotten DBZ Kakarot, Granblue Fantasy Versus, Nioh 2, and CoD Warzone to name a few. And that's only counting "AAA" games. There's been plenty of great indies.

Not to mention that in the next month we're getting a lot of heavy hitters. Like next week is Animal Crossing. A couple weeks is Persona 5 Royal. Then next month is FFVIIR, Trials of Mana, and RE3R.

There's nothing wrong with this year.

• Like 2

Every year there's a few months when the game releases are slowing down. If I remember correctly, summer of last year was slow for AAA. This year it happened to be the first 3 months. Doesn't mean the year is bad. 

And as people above pointed out, Nioh 2, Doom Eternal and other games are march releases. The rest of the year looks great in terms of AAA releases.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 1

to be fair this gen didn't really have big hitters like the ps3 had or anything as cool as that and before people bomb me with god of boy and shadows die two times or what ever I mean like in terms of ps3 had siren blood curse, uncharted 1 to 3, god of war 3, ratchet and clank future series killzone 2 and 3, resistance 1 to 3 and many more this gen to me anyways never had as many big games I thought were cool as most to me felt like just repeats.  

I mean, look at god of boy. To me is ripping off last of us slower story based and so on and I hate that I liked a more action one of god of war not that slower storyline/ openish world style. it is the same with skitro or bloodborne to me it feels too meh if you ask me. I mean this gen had nioh, dmc5, re7, watchdogs 2 and others but yeah.

I think it's certainly not as good as 2019 was, but we still had/have a few good games. FF7 remake, Dragonball Z Kakarot, Yakuza 7. I do hope Tales of Arise comes out soon. 

There's also so many lists on youtube about great upcoming games and RPGs in 2020, although more so for the switch than playstation with the PS5 coming soon. 

• Like 1

Boy are you being impatient. It feels like 2020 just started, don’t start complaining. We have many - MANY amazing games yet to release this year. 

If you’re going to make a topic saying “bad year” at least wait till 11-12 months have passed THEN make a review.

• Like 2

I cant judge the year's quality of releases in March.

Nor off hype, pre-release footage or any other promo. 

Currently ive been so deep into a Dragon Quest i haven't cared about many other games. But frankly if you're worried about the years quality, dont be. There's always gems. And theres always old games. 

Old games rule!

I honestly think we have plenty of big titles that have released and are releasing this year (assuming they don't get delayed). Sure, it's not a super packed year but I wouldn't say it's dead either. We are fast approaching the next gen, whether that still begins this year or not is kinda up in the air atm (I think it still will though, at least for the Xbox), but I can imagine developers are spending more time working on PS5/Fridgebox titles, and I wouldn't be shocked if quite a few games released this and last year will also get "8k 120fps super-duper graphics editions" for PS5/Obeliskbox next year as well, which is honestly making me hold off on a few games that I think might.

Personally, I hope less and less games get released so I can make some kind of dent in my literal 1,000+ game backlog.

• Like 1

Let's not jump the gun... at least wait until Doom Eternal. Some of the really good stuff like Cyberpunk is yet to arrive. I bet that's a PS4 and a PS5 game. Then there'll be whatever Falcom game NISA has for us (Trails of Cold Steel IV? Ys IX? Both?). CSIII is still a new game for North America with PC and Switch versions yet to appear, so my guess is they keep CSIV on the down low until it's less than 4 months from release. Flying Wild Hog (Hard Reset and Shadow Warrior 1/2) has been way too quiet for a few years. I wonder what they're up to. Could they have something planned for PS5?

Fridgebox? I love that. How fitting, it really does look like a mini-fridge.

• Like 1