Rumor: Konami is set to revive Metal Gear, Castlevania & Silent Hill

ziggypossum

3 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

The source of the rumour is a bit shaky. But in all honesty, if it were true - I don't really care who picks those IP's up, just as long as they are pulled away from Konami who are either just sitting on them indefinitely or reducing them to fancy CGI in gambling machines.

Yes and no. Honestly, I think old IPs need to die sometimes. We haven't seen a Castlevania game in years (and, honestly, we haven't seen a good one in decades). Bloodstained shows that you don't need to attach the "Castlevania" name to make a great Castlevania-like game.

If the only reason for acquiring the IPs is to give re-releases, it seems like money poorly spent. But, e.g., Kojima certainly has never shown any ability to work with a decent timetable on his games, and if Kojima isn't involved in a new Metal Gear title, it will be criticized, anyway. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Yes and no. Honestly, I think old IPs need to die sometimes. We haven't seen a Castlevania game in years (and, honestly, we haven't seen a good one in decades). Bloodstained shows that you don't need to attach the "Castlevania" name to make a great Castlevania-like game.

If the only reason for acquiring the IPs is to give re-releases, it seems like money poorly spent. But, e.g., Kojima certainly has never shown any ability to work with a decent timetable on his games, and if Kojima isn't involved in a new Metal Gear title, it will be criticized, anyway. 

Probably the last good one was order on the original ds back in 09

2 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Still it would be nice to have some of the good ones ported to something else, for the moment they're stuck on the GBA/DS. I know some people hate re-releases but I don't think it's ever a bad thing to have more options to play older games, especially for the sake of preservation. 

Edited by bikeman223

So Metal Gear Solid is getting a second Remake?

As for Castlevania the 3d ones were decent however I would like to see a collection of them. Also the Castlevania Lords of Shadows series was pretty good and felt like an evolved version of Lament of Innocence. I would like to see a "GBA/DS" collection as well in the same vein as the Classic Collection they released.

Edited by Void

I highly doubt Konami will let go of the Metal Gear IP because they use them in their pachinko machines, that may require getting rid of the machines that use the Metal Gear IP or possible royalties to Sony. Although deals can be struck I presume. But I don't think Kojima wants to work on anymore Metal Gear tbh. 

After the Zenimax buyout though, hell everything's for sale

But Sony does have like 10x less the amount of cash than Microsoft....

Imo Sony should respond as fast as they can to the buyout though with something, IPs mainly. Except maybe Kojima Productions, and FromSoftware, Sony should buy them both

IPs I'd buy to solidify if I was Sony

1-Metal Gear(let Konami keep the rights to the gambling, and give it to Kojima and pray) 

2-Silent Hill (Give it to Kojima) 

3-Resident Evil (Same Dev teams, deeeep negotiations needed) 

4-Castlevania (Give to SantaMonica) 

5-Dino Crisis (Give to the Resident Evil Teams) 

All on PSNOW day 1 release

Make a shit ton of remakes and reap the rewards hopefully 

EDIT: Or buy Square Enix and forget everything else, their net worth is like $1.6B so it'd cost close to Zenimax net worth of $2.5B which resulted into a $6.7B buyout

Edited by Dav9834
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

1-Metal Gear(let Konami keep the rights to the gambling, and give it to Kojima and pray) 

Yeah, I don't see any of those happening, like maaaybe Dino Crisis but not the other ones. Konami has made more profit with pachinko using those IPs than they ever did with games so I don't see them letting go. As for Resident Evil, that is Capcom's best selling franchise. They'd be crazy to sell that.

4 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

I highly doubt Konami will let go of the Metal Gear IP because they use them in their pachinko machines, that may require getting rid of the machines that use the Metal Gear IP or possible royalties to Sony. Although deals can be struck I presume. But I don't think Kojima wants to work on anymore Metal Gear tbh. 

After the Zenimax buyout though, hell everything's for sale

But Sony does have like 10x less the amount of cash than Microsoft....

Imo Sony should respond as fast as they can to the buyout though with something, IPs mainly. Except maybe Kojima Productions, and FromSoftware, Sony should buy them both

All on PSNOW day 1 release

Make a shit ton of remakes and reap the rewards hopefully 

EDIT: Or buy Square Enix and forget everything else, their net worth is like $1.6B so it'd cost close to Zenimax net worth of $2.5B which resulted into a $6.7B buyout

So you want to give Dino crisis to the same developers that already made the games? 

• Like 1

Capcom? Doubt they in a phase to sell themselves. They are on their third peak of popularity, how stupid will be to give away even Dino Crisis.

Still I don't see why Sony should by a gaming company, they have more than enough. Yeah, Bethesda may be a little bigger than some of Sony's companies, but how it is worth to Microsoft, doubt next Elder Scrolls will be more than times exclusive, and something new could be not good at all.

5 hours ago, RollinKaiserRoll said:

Honestly, encouraging buyouts is just silly. It only hurts consumers in the end if franchises are made exclusive and it's only going to perpetuate all the console wars bullshit.

Yeah. Game quality will suffer for it and it'll cost us in more ways than one. Not sure why people are so gung ho over it. 

• 2 months later...

@Alderriz While this one is coming from Moore's Law is Dead, I still doubt it. MLiD had leaked what would be ultimately announced as God of War: Ragnarok. Even saying that, I cannot see Kojima and Konami kissing and making up too easily after such an acrimonious split. I'd rather see Kojima work on new franchises. The time spent on a new Silent Hill could instead be put into a Death Stranding sequel instead.

I don't like buyouts. Microsoft's snatching up Bethesda still bothers me more than a little.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Metal Gear Twitter Hints at a Reveal and ‘Visitors Coming Next Week’

There could be a new Metal Gear announcement on the way, as the official Twitter account for the game responded to a suspicious tweet from an account sharing a Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty image suggesting, “…we have visitors coming next week”

Here is the full message. The official account is replying to a “Tom Olsen,” who shared an image from the Computer Room in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. The image shared even has the bird cage for Emma Emmerich’s pet parrot.

The “Tom Olsen” Twitter account began tweeting on April 8, 2021 and only follows the accounts for Metal Gear, Hideo Kojima, Konami, and the New York Mets. The first image showed Big Shell, a key location from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. He went on to show images of the dining hall, some lockers, and Strut F.

On April 9, 2021, “Tom” teased that his birthday is April 30th, which could hint at another reveal.

https://www.siliconera.com/metal-gear-twitter-hints-at-a-metal-gear-solid-2-reveal-next-week/

Edited by ziggypossum
EDIT
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, ziggypossum said:

What’s Going On With BLUE BOX Game Studios and ‘Abandoned’? Is it Really Kojima and Silent Hill? (Update)

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2021/06/16/blue-box-game-studios-abandoned-kojima-silent-hill/

Remember years ago when Hideo Kojima was first teasing Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain? He made up a fake studio called Moby Dick Studios and for months played the role of a fake developer named Joakim Mogren, announcing a game called The Phantom Pain, which of course ended up being MGSV. Any good conspiracy, however, isn’t complete without a bunch of red herrings and hoaxes from overzealous fans complicating things. Kojima did the same thing with the fake P.T. ultimately being a “playable teaser” for the canceled Silent Hills.

So is it happening all over again with BLUE BOX Game Studios and “Abandoned”? Is this really Hideo Kojima and Silent Hill, or is it genuinely a studio caught in the middle of conspiracy theories from fans who will end up disappointed?

I’ve fallen down a rabbit hole of research, collecting as much information as I can to try to come to a definitive conclusion. So far, there are fewer overtly obvious clues than the entire Phantom Pain tease, but there’s enough reasonable doubt surrounding the entire project to suggest that there’s at least something fishy here.

I'll be honest, I don't usually buy into the conspiracy theories but that is absolutely fascinating me this morning.  Maybe I need another cup of coffee to think straight lol.

The fact Hideo translates to the Blue Box dudes last name is a pretty damning coincidence.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

It's even more obfuscated than any of Kojima's other scheme's (if this isn't one big coincidence) with the prevalence of indie studios over the last 5-10 years.  No one would bat an eyelash these days at a studio with just one or a few employees and no background/internet footprint getting a chance with Sony, where it might've been more unorthodox in other eras.

Edited by Dreakon13

18 hours ago, ziggypossum said:

What’s Going On With BLUE BOX Game Studios and ‘Abandoned’? Is it Really Kojima and Silent Hill? (Update)

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2021/06/16/blue-box-game-studios-abandoned-kojima-silent-hill/

Remember years ago when Hideo Kojima was first teasing Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain? He made up a fake studio called Moby Dick Studios and for months played the role of a fake developer named Joakim Mogren, announcing a game called The Phantom Pain, which of course ended up being MGSV. Any good conspiracy, however, isn’t complete without a bunch of red herrings and hoaxes from overzealous fans complicating things. Kojima did the same thing with the fake P.T. ultimately being a “playable teaser” for the canceled Silent Hills.

So is it happening all over again with BLUE BOX Game Studios and “Abandoned”? Is this really Hideo Kojima and Silent Hill, or is it genuinely a studio caught in the middle of conspiracy theories from fans who will end up disappointed?

I’ve fallen down a rabbit hole of research, collecting as much information as I can to try to come to a definitive conclusion. So far, there are fewer overtly obvious clues than the entire Phantom Pain tease, but there’s enough reasonable doubt surrounding the entire project to suggest that there’s at least something fishy here.

Oh boy, if this is all hopes and dreams, this poor studio is either about to go for the most hyped game of the century, or for the backlash of the century.

Place your bets, and let's see what happens in the next episode.

tenor.gif