I Need Some Help, Veterans Are too Hard to Kill

I had a fun time playing up till I beat the game. I struggle with killing veteran monsters.... they stun and freeze me to the point I have keep spamming the full heal gems just to survive. I can kill some of them, but there are some quests that require me to protect someone/thing and I simply can't do these. I spend WAY too much time trying to kill the veterans.

I have most level 99's, but I don't know what to do about gear so I've been flying by the seat of my pants for the whole game and now it seems highly likely I won't be getting the platinum simply due to these damn veteran monsters.

I need tips/help. I was able to finish the five-headed veteran dragon quest, but lost the protect the generator quest ( I had the giant down to almost half-life)

I have the following yet to do:
Puff-Puffs
All Quests
Weapons/orbs
Killing all Monster types
Recruiting all Monster Types
Kill metal King

EDIT: So after smashing through a few more quests, I'm at the point where I think I'm done with this game. I'm sitting at 80% and I'm struggling with everything at this point. This was a fun game up till this point :|

Edited by ISeeWutUDidThere
Update

Equipment is very important so you'll need to have the highest tier available to you at the time and accessories, they can prevent being frozen or give the "protect" thing more health. Basically you a actually need to start learning about everything available to you, only other thing you can do it watch Youtube guides.