COVID-19 Megathread

Mesopithecus

On 4/8/2020 at 4:52 PM, RadiantFlamberge said:

What a shameful, inexcusable situation. You can't count on the president, who plays golf while the USA wrestles with the C19 threat... it's all about the states' governors.

People who are thinking of disobeying their stay-at-home orders need to stop kidding themselves with regard to this serious matter. Not only is it unsafe, but it is also flagrantly disrespectful to all of us who abide by the rules. We're all trying to tap the brakes on this thing... and nobody needs to give it gas. The authorities need to stop giving warnings and start hitting violators with fines.

Well from his Twitter , this is what the President thinks is important as the death rate passed 16,000 today with almost half a million cases.

kyqYSx3.png

• Like 2

Ended a 20 year long friendship thanks to this shit. Guy intentionally coughed at people, called them cowards and crazy, and then that I think I'm better than him. Gave him way too many strikes as is.I mean, I don't like being coughed at intentionally even if you don't have a highly contagious disease. Fucking moron.

53 minutes ago, mecharobot said:

Ended a 20 year long friendship thanks to this shit. Guy intentionally coughed at people, called them cowards and crazy, and then that I think I'm better than him. Gave him way too many strikes as is.I mean, I don't like being coughed at intentionally even if you don't have a highly contagious disease. Fucking moron.

I really don't understand people.  I've been saying the last few weeks "maybe I'm going overboard doubling up on homemade masks/scarfs when i go out and stocking up food for 3 or so weeks at a time, but now is the one time where being paranoid is completely OK" (as long as you aren't hoarding essential supplies needlessly and hurting others).  One look at the news should send any reasonable person into at least a minor tailspin of fear/concern/anxiety... and that isn't media sensationalism, for once even they can't over-sell it.  This is as real as it gets.

This stubborn, ignorant, invincible attitude that a lot of people have was always kinda pathetic... but now its flat out dangerous.

EDIT: My state (NY, but not NYC) is starting to enforce fines and jail time for people caught out not practicing social distancing guidelines.  For example, if you're driving two or more people in a car and you can't prove you live the same house, people congregating in larger groups in the park, etc.  I couldn't be happier about it.  Someone I know had a nerve to say "so much for being a free country" and I ignored it, but man... fuck off. xD There are some major stakes at play here, we all play a role in it, it's not about poor little baby-boys freedom to spread deadly diseases.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

I saw Boris Johnson is out of the ICU. 

I wonder if he will be taking it easy on government stuff for a bit. Guy deserves a rest.

In other UK news, our MPs (roughly our Congress equivalent) can now claim an extra £10,000 in expenses on top of the £25,000 they could already claim due to relaxation of rules.  We have 650 MPs. Meanwhile not a single penny in raises or anything for nurses and other essential frontline workers.

Doctor in East London who pleaded for more PPE died too.

The New York State Health Commissioner has a commercial that's been airing recently that ends with "Stay apart now, so we can all be together later."  And I swear everytime I hear that, I choke up a little (or start crying straight up apparently) because of all the people that already won't be together later.  And the feeling of increasing likelihood that anyone I might know or care about becoming a part of that statistic.

The ignorance and selfishness of people not taking this moment seriously is probably the one resentful thing I'll remember for however long I have left here.

EDIT: One more thing... for any that happen to stumble across this, thank you to the healthcare/medical personnel and first responders fighting through this.  Anywhere in the world.  You're truly the best of us... you're the beating hearts of your towns, cities and countries... and know that those of us rational enough to understand the stakes have an undying gratitude for the mental, physical and emotional toll you're taking in trying to care for all of us.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

The Europeans finally agreed €500bn in 'safety nets' as they're calling them along with a separate €750bn rescue deal from the ECB. Talk of up to another €500bn that EU countries will be able to access once this is over.

Edited by Bliss

6 minutes ago, mecharobot said:

I might call that more or less paranoid, but I think most important thing is respect of people and their choices. You are protecting yourself and maybe those you care of, that's absolute.

I'm not sure what's necessary or right at this point... but I'd rather do too much to protect myself and others, then not enough or be a liability.  Like I said, right now it's OK or even encouraged to be paranoid.  As long as you aren't hurting people in doing so.  Keeping away from people and bad situations is how we stay safe.

• Like 1

So my states Governor locked down even more and extended the Stay at Home order until the end of the month. No doubt it'll be extended further. Fines of $1000 have already been issued for disobeying the orders, including congregating with others outside your household. Good luck collecting from people who have no income.

She also restricted types of purchases in stores. So for instance, home improvement stores can stay open, but paint, flooring, etc must be sectioned off.

I'm frustrated slightly because I was planning on picking up flooring and building a home office in my basement next week since I have to work from home through this whole ordeal and the makeshift office is really not going to cut it for the rest of the month. The flooring isn't available for delivery, but does still show In Store Pickup. It's a little unclear if I'm still going to be able to do an in store pick up or not based on this order. I have only left the house three times in over a month so I'm a little unsure of what all the protocols are out there. Is flooring unable to be purchased in any capacity or just not mingling in the store looking at flooring options?

One thing is abundantly clear, I had a discussion about 6 years ago with a crony from work who was convinced all physical retailers would disappear in the near future and all shopping would be done online. Well, this has shown that a blend will always be needed. We do not have the infrastructure or capability to do 100% online shopping for every retailer for every person. 

28 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The flooring isn't available for delivery, but does still show In Store Pickup. It's a little unclear if I'm still going to be able to do an in store pick up or not based on this order. I have only left the house three times in over a month so I'm a little unsure of what all the protocols are out there. Is flooring unable to be purchased in any capacity or just not mingling in the store looking at flooring options?

If the retailer is open and store pickup is available... then maybe curbside pickup is an option?  They bring it out to your car, load up your trunk or whatever, and you're on your way.  I'd figure that probably falls within the limits of the restrictions in place?  Though maybe call the store and ask.

2 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

If the retailer is open and store pickup is available... then maybe curbside pickup is an option?  They bring it out to your car, load up your trunk or whatever, and you're on your way.  I'd figure that probably falls within the limits of the restrictions in place?  Though maybe call the store and ask.

Yeah, I'm going to call and ask. A lot of this is intentionally mushy to allow businesses to make interpretations and follow the spirit of the mandate, but I guess it leaves everyone's interpretation open as well. Is buying all flooring banned since stores have to restrict people accessing it IN the store, or can it still be bought through other methods?

Weird times we are living in. Makes me wonder if every responsible company will now prepare a worldwide quarantine plan, like the active shooting planning most have incorporated.

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'm not sure what's necessary or right at this point... but I'd rather do too much to protect myself and others, then not enough or be a liability.  Like I said, right now it's OK or even encouraged to be paranoid.  As long as you aren't hurting people in doing so.  Keeping away from people and bad situations is how we stay safe.

Oh, I do agree. I meant respect for people taking precautions, not those who sabotage others. I think I'm going to triple down as well and go zero contacts since just this one meeting turned into a disaster.

28 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Weird times we are living in. Makes me wonder if every responsible company will now prepare a worldwide quarantine plan, like the active shooting planning most have incorporated.

I'd hope so.  This is the eye opener to end all eye openers.

Though this is a little different than an active shooting plan.  One can go on for hours, the other (as we're seeing) goes on for weeks and months and possibly years before everything is 100% again.  That's not a plan persay, that'd have to be a complete change in business structure for a lot of companies.  Many businesses that require physical labor just can't prepare for something like this... short of reducing staff, allowing for more distance or incorporating barriers between workers, more sanitizing supplies and PPE on hand, etc.  Though maybe those precautions are good enough, instead of scrambling while their employees and customers health is at stake.  The jobs that can be done remotely and just weren't quite able to set it up in time for this, I'd like to think could take special precautions to have those options available if needed.

One thing that could come out of this... maybe we become less reliant on China for certain things, and invest in keeping more jobs (ie. manufacturing) at home.  If not only to have resources available quickly and in capacity in an emergency.

Edited by Dreakon13

On 4/9/2020 at 6:30 PM, RadiantFlamberge said:

Oh my. Now what we have here is a glaring example of Mr. Trump's narcissism and misaligned priorities. Especially when there are those 16.000 deaths and also 17 million unemployed, said ratings should be the least of his concerns.

I've been staying home for a little over a month now from the C Virus. I lost my job, so when this crisis finally dies and passes on I will have to find a new job. Sucks, but there's nothing we can do about it at the moment. I'm losing money while I've been stuck at home, being safe from other people. There was a case not too long ago of someone getting inflicted with the virus, this person died, and this was just 20 - 30 miles from my house. So yes, I'm a bit worried.

The death counter is not to be taken lightly, but if there ever a time when it was completely inappropriate to support this joke of a president, it is now.

I absolutely cannot for one millisecond believe how anybody, sane or insane, can support Trump. There's no doubt in my mind that he will go down in history as the worst president of the United States of America. Historians 100 years from now will talk about Trump in history classes, by which point everybody will probably be living in a virtual reality simulator like The Matrix.

I don't think I've been less proud to be an American than now. I was happier under Bush. I was certainly happier under Obama. For the first couple years I thought people were going to change their outlook on Trump and try to get him to be impeached. Some people tried and that impeachment could of gone through. But Trump was simply let go.

While doctors and scientists around the world are trying their hardest to find a vaccine for this virus, Trump continues to sit on his high horse and express his sheer narcissism. The evidence is mounting against him and these supporters of his absolutely blow my mind.

George W. Bush handled the Hurricane Katrina situation poorly. Barack Obama was the mind behind drones. Those are nothing compared to how Trump is handling this virus situation.

I'm sad that so many people had their lives taken away from the virus. But it absolutely sickens me that we continue to have a moron spouting whatever fucking shit he wants out of his filthy mouth while so many of us remain locked in our homes unemployed. The British Prime Minister is under intensive care. Doesn't matter to Trump, because he only cares for himself.

Sad state of affairs.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

not sure how New Zealand has been portrayed in the global media but our prime minister has done so fucken well. 
we have now as of today had 4 deaths in New Zealand all 70yrs+ , very sad indeed.

But our swift response as a country has already been proven to of saved so many lives.

While lots of people will still lose their jobs here, our recovery will be swift, i hope.

best wishes to everyone out there in the world struggling. 

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

I've been staying home for a little over a month now from the C Virus. I lost my job, so when this crisis finally dies and passes on I will have to find a new job. Sucks, but there's nothing we can do about it at the moment. I'm losing money while I've been stuck at home, being safe from other people. There was a case not too long ago of someone getting inflicted with the virus, this person died, and this was just 20 - 30 miles from my house. So yes, I'm a bit worried.

The death counter is not to be taken lightly, but if there ever a time when it was completely inappropriate to support this joke of a president, it is now.

I absolutely cannot for one millisecond believe how anybody, sane or insane, can support Trump. There's no doubt in my mind that he will go down in history as the worst president of the United States of America. Historians 100 years from now will talk about Trump in history classes, by which point everybody will probably be living in a virtual reality simulator like The Matrix.

I don't think I've been less proud to be an American than now. I was happier under Bush. I was certainly happier under Obama. For the first couple years I thought people were going to change their outlook on Trump and try to get him to be impeached. Some people tried and that impeachment could of gone through. But Trump was simply let go.

While doctors and scientists around the world are trying their hardest to find a vaccine for this virus, Trump continues to sit on his high horse and express his sheer narcissism. The evidence is mounting against him and these supporters of his absolutely blow my mind.

George W. Bush handled the Hurricane Katrina situation poorly. Barack Obama was the mind behind drones. Those are nothing compared to how Trump is handling this virus situation.

I'm sad that so many people had their lives taken away from the virus. But it absolutely sickens me that we continue to have a moron spouting whatever fucking shit he wants out of his filthy mouth while so many of us remain locked in our homes unemployed. The British Prime Minister is under intensive care. Doesn't matter to Trump, because he only cares for himself.

Sad state of affairs.

That's very, very sad... and frightening. Hopefully you and others who are out of a job can be reemployed soon once the C19 mess is reined in.

Indeed, the USA has hit rock-bottom with Trump being president. It's a travesty that his impeachment didn't result in a conviction. I wish that there were a federal recall process. If that were a thing, the recall vote should be midway into a president's term... so a complete turkey like Trump could be voted out in 2 years rather than 4. In 2015, if you asked me who the worst president was, my reply would be Herbert Hoover or Nixon. But since 2017, I would say it's Trump.

I agree, George W. Bush and Barack Obama had some issues. That said, GWB or Obama would've probably handled this Charlie Foxtrot much better if it occurred during their time in office.

Trump's saying "Happy Good Friday" deeply offended me, with Good Friday being the solemnity of Jesus Christ's crucifixion.

Some C19 patients in Italy and China have been treated with the rheumatoid arthritis drug Actemra (Tocilizumab). Two Italian patients didn't look like they would make it. After being treated with this, they may not have quite attained a full recovery, but they did see an increase in respiratory capacity. Hmmm... pretty interesting.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/health/medical/doctors-discover-common-drug-can-help-cure-coronavirus-symptoms/ar-BB116gSJ

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

That's very, very sad... and frightening. Hopefully you and others who are out of a job can be reemployed soon once the C19 mess is reined in.

Indeed, the USA has hit rock-bottom with Trump being president. It's a travesty that his impeachment didn't result in a conviction. I wish that there were a federal recall process. If that were a thing, the recall vote should be midway into a president's term... so a complete turkey like Trump could be voted out in 2 years rather than 4. In 2015, if you asked me who the worst president was, my reply would be Herbert Hoover or Nixon. But since 2017, I would say it's Trump.

I agree, George W. Bush and Barack Obama had some issues. That said, GWB or Obama would've probably handled this Charlie Foxtrot much better if it occurred during their time in office.

Trump's saying "Happy Good Friday" deeply offended me, with Good Friday being the solemnity of Jesus Christ's crucifixion.

Some C19 patients in Italy and China have been treated with the rheumatoid arthritis drug Actemra (Tocilizumab). Two Italian patients didn't look like they would make it. After being treated with this, they may not have quite attained a full recovery, but they did see an increase in respiratory capacity. Hmmm... pretty interesting.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/health/medical/doctors-discover-common-drug-can-help-cure-coronavirus-symptoms/ar-BB116gSJ

I have a few people helping me out right now until I find a job. I was planning to move sometime this year but that's going to be delayed now thanks to this C19 mess.

I generally don't discuss politics to anybody but this issue is just too hard to ignore. Everyone knows the C19 tragedy is horrible, that's bad enough on it's own. But having a nutjob, imbecile president with a completely stupid and inept administration makes the situation a whole lot worse. The media isn't helping anything either.

George W. Bush and Dick Cheney lied constantly, but I would still pick them over Trump. Bush was more pleasing to the eye anyway, he wasn't some crazy nut full of narcissism. Obama is probably cowering his head in shame.

I won't go into religion, but I heard Trump say "Happy Good Friday" and I basically stood in disbelief. This guy is a walking joke.

Yeah I heard about that regarding the patients in Italy and China. Hopefully their bodies can make a full recovery. There have been some cases in my home state that make me hesitant to do anything but get essentials. I've been out of my house maybe four or five times in the past month, mostly to get some stuff I needed and to help some of my friends, who are suffering from the same situation I'm in.

Wish you all the best, and the same for me and everyone else out there who can share the same story.

10 hours ago, Spaz said:

I don't think I've been less proud to be an American than now.

While I'd prefer to have just about anyone in the White House but Trump during something like this, I'm incredibly proud to be an American right now because I walk through my neighborhood and see signs in their yards of thanks and hope made by people who understand the stakes and know enough to stay home.  I see videos of people (from a safe distance) cheering and treating the essential workers like the heroes they are.  I see the stories out of New York City of heroism and sacrifice, even just ordinary citizens.  And medical/healthcare personnel and first responders from all walks of life risking everything to try and save us, our neighbors, families, friends and fellow Americans.  Against insurmountable odds the likes of which most countries haven't faced yet and God willing may never... no less a single state, city or province.

They are Americans... they're the heart, face and soul of this country right now.  If for no other reason, they're the reason to love this place.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

Over here in Ireland I'm slowly waddling into week four. I think I've cooked every single variation of potatoes that is humanly - and perhaps inhumanly - possible. In other news I've been writing a few scripts for new Youtube videos, been reading a bit more than usual, getting back into Yakuza 0, and I finally figured out who's been leaving their overflowing bins outside my front door for months. 

That neighbour better pray the social distancing measures are in place forever because he's going to get a slightly firm glove slap when this is all over.

All in all, I'm excited to see what the next week'll bring. I'll keep you all informed.

Edited by Gotakibono
  • Like 1

This week my classes over the summer got all moved to online it the smart decision in the long run, that what my college did with the spring courses and the school is just making sure we are safe, I am just hoping this is done by Fall

Edited by Yuna4353

On 4/10/2020 at 8:39 PM, Dvst8u said:

not sure how New Zealand has been portrayed in the global media but our prime minister has done so fucken well. 
we have now as of today had 4 deaths in New Zealand all 70yrs+ , very sad indeed.

Being portrayed as one of the few countries that seems to have their shit together in regards to this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/asia/new-zealand-lessons-intl-hnk/index.html