COVID-19 Megathread

Mesopithecus

On 4/11/2020 at 6:10 AM, Dreakon13 said:

While I'd prefer to have just about anyone in the White House but Trump during something like this, I'm incredibly proud to be an American right now because I walk through my neighborhood and see signs in their yards of thanks and hope made by people who understand the stakes and know enough to stay home.  I see videos of people (from a safe distance) cheering and treating the essential workers like the heroes they are.  I see the stories out of New York City of heroism and sacrifice, even just ordinary citizens.  And medical/healthcare personnel and first responders from all walks of life risking everything to try and save us, our neighbors, families, friends and fellow Americans.  Against insurmountable odds the likes of which most countries haven't faced yet and God willing may never... no less a single state, city or province.

They are Americans... they're the heart, face and soul of this country right now.  If for no other reason, they're the reason to love this place.

I honestly can't believe you just made this statement.

I don't need to go over the list of reasons why this man isn't even fit to be a dog catcher in a small isolated town out of the middle of nowhere. The fact that so many people out there felt they wanted to see him, or felt he should be the 'leader of the free world' completely shatters my mind. His stance on Civil Rights is a giant slap in the face to all the progress we made throughout history.

And as I completely expected from him, Trump is not handling the C Virus situation with any class or tact. Now we're facing a situation that could force us to stay inside our homes indefinitely, possibly this entire year. My local college has just changed their schedule because people are completely scared to do so much as to be in a classroom with just five to ten people without somebody carrying the virus and somebody else getting inflicted by it. Not everybody is going to get sick, some people won't get the symptoms but they carry it around with them. So we've already reached a point and time in history where outside communication and person to person talk will be a thing of the past. Everybody is holed up in their homes using the internet 5 - 10 hours every single day, technology enables us to do things we were incapable of doing just a mere five years ago.

The British Prime Minister having to suffer while Trump is still running his mouth is reason enough to hate him. This goes far beyond Hilary not winning back in 2016, or what Trump spouted to John McCain for being pathetic because he happened to be captured during the Vietnam War. It's about the man that a majority of people voted to determine the path of direction for America, how he should mold the 'free world' and where his priorities lie. Even with this virus killing so many people and having countless others feel paranoid, there are still so many folks out there who feel Trump can't do any wrongdoing. Yes, the numbers may be less now than the support he was getting back in 2016, but there are still enough of them who still hold on to this hope that he will somehow pull us out of the shithouse we've been stuck under.

If Americans truly want to make a change, then they need to work on making America a better place to live for everybody, not just a few people. Trump does not represent the Americans, he never has and he never will. It doesn't matter if he reaches 100 years old. Right now all we can do is stay home and be safe, because the hospitals all across the world are working overtime to do anything and everything they can to save lives. But I don't see this heart and soul. I lost that heart and soul for this country the moment Trump walked into that White House in January 2017.

You can't deny the slow steps we were taking during the Obama era. But that's all gone now. I'm still waiting for someone, a more fit individual to help lead us to positive change. I don't know how long my patience will last.

Edited by Spaz

4 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Not sure what part of me saying "I'd prefer to have just about anyone in the White House but Trump during something like this" and that my pride as an American comes from my neighbors doing the right thing and the healthcare/medical workers fighting this war for us... made you think to write another essay about Trump like that.

I'm guessing you didn't really read what I said and just wanted to mouth off some more.

The impeachment process failed. Trump still being here after three years of office when this virus is killing people just makes things a whole lot worse.

Are people proud to be Americans because we're facing a crisis? We did the same thing with 9/11. We went over and supported our American troops fighting over in Iraq for what was essentially a pointless war. We cheered and hollered when Osama bin Laden died back in 2011.

I read word for word what you said, but I just don't feel that pride. We don't need a giant catastrophe for us to hold hands and support each other. We should be doing that every day. I've heard this statement before, and it's great that there are many proud people and healthcare/medical workers doing everything they can. But we do not need a tragedy for us to feel this way.

I don't know what else to say to you. We obviously have a different stance on this situation, so I can just leave this at that.

• Like 1

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/evangelical-pastor-mocks-pansies-wont-close-church-for-coronavirus/

Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne of River Tampa Bay Church in Florida called those fearing C19 a bunch of "pansies". What? People should indeed be afraid of it. And he said he was excited about C19 possibly being "the end of days", and encouraged his parishioners to hug even in light of the warnings. His attitude is not very becoming of a priest... and if I were a member of his church I would take leave of it. He reminds me of a cult leader.

With C19 being the problem that it is, maybe the fines for disobeying SIP orders need to be much higher. Neither $250, $500, nor even $1.000 are really enough. Take Alaska's fine for example... it can be as much as $25.000 with possible jail time up to a year. Though this may sound harsh, I feel that such a massive fine is justified for someone who commits an action that puts others in mortal danger.

Boris Johnson is doing better... in fact, he has been released from the hospital. He will take some time off to finish his recovery at Chequers. ?

https://nypost.com/2020/04/12/boris-johnson-thanks-workers-who-treated-him-for-coronavirus/

10 minutes ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/evangelical-pastor-mocks-pansies-wont-close-church-for-coronavirus/

Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne of River Tampa Bay Church in Florida called those fearing C19 a bunch of "pansies". What? People should indeed be afraid of it. And he said he was excited about C19 possibly being "the end of days", and encouraged his parishioners to hug even in light of the warnings. His attitude is not very becoming of a priest... and if I were a member of his church I would take leave of it. He reminds me of a cult leader.

People like this throw horseshit out every single day. They are nutball conspiracy theory dickheads who will pull anything out of their ass to try to justify something.

There was a Measles outbreak somewhere in the United States some four - five years ago where some people feared their kids would be exposed to "autism" if they got vaccinated. Rodney Howard-Browne is the same type of dipshit telling everyone who is afraid of C19 they're a bunch of pansies.

Edited by Spaz

Nothing new here in Germany in the last few days. People are still expected to stay at home, some follow the advice some don't, several weeks into self isolation most people are bored, only a select few are panicking, shelves almost look normal again where I am from aside from toilet paper getting rationed due to idiots still treating this stuff like it is made out of gold. I mean we are not the US or Italy, neither our number of infections nor our mortality rates are concerningly high, and even if this thing goes on for another 8 months or so there is no risk of starving to death or getting into debt for a lifetime due to medical bills to get treatment like in the US, so I guess this plays a big role to keep people calm. Actually I am somewhat satisfied with how Merkel handled the situation, never been a big fan of her and she was pretty much a ghost the last few years, but I prefer her approach when compared to someone like Boris Johnson or Bolsonaro any day of the week.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

The impeachment process failed. Trump still being here after three years of office when this virus is killing people just makes things a whole lot worse.

Are people proud to be Americans because we're facing a crisis? We did the same thing with 9/11. We went over and supported our American troops fighting over in Iraq for what was essentially a pointless war. We cheered and hollered when Osama bin Laden died back in 2011.

I read word for word what you said, but I just don't feel that pride. We don't need a giant catastrophe for us to hold hands and support each other. We should be doing that every day. I've heard this statement before, and it's great that there are many proud people and healthcare/medical workers doing everything they can. But we do not need a tragedy for us to feel this way.

I don't know what else to say to you. We obviously have a different stance on this situation, so I can just leave this at that.

I'm proud of the American people, I'm not proud of the crisis and I'm not proud of Trump.  We don't need a catastrophe to support each other, but it's important we support each other through a catastrophe.  No reasonable American wanted or asked for this to happen, yet our fellow Americans are risking themselves and their families every day to fight it.

You don't have to agree with what I'm saying, just stop horribly misconstruing it.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, charxsetsuna said:

I really hope the uk government chooses human safety over the economy in regards to the lockdown. But I cant say I'm overly optimistic.

Yeah, did you see Michael Gove was only in isolation for like two days and now he is out like normal, despite the recommended time being 2 weeks? On top of that he was given "special permission" to have his daughter tested even though they still haven't rolled out full scale testing for essential workers yet.

Scotland's CMO was given a telling off by police and lost her job for not following her own guidelines while regular people are literally being arrested for doing just that but Gove is exempt. What a joke.

Edited by Bliss

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'm proud of the American people, I'm not proud of the crisis and I'm not proud of Trump.  We don't need a catastrophe to support each other, but it's important we support each other through a catastrophe.  No reasonable American wanted or asked for this to happen, yet our fellow Americans are risking themselves and their families every day to fight it.

You don't have to agree with what I'm saying, just stop horribly misconstruing it.

I seriously have to wonder why people even want to play politics now of all times to begin with. I'm on the other end of the spectrum but my first and foremost thoughts right now are doing what I can to keep myself and other safe.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

And he said he was excited about C19 possibly being "the end of days", and encouraged his parishioners to hug even in light of the warnings.

Damn. He sounds like a cultist movie/game villain. Fiction is becoming inferior to real life at this point.

6 hours ago, majob said:

I seriously have to wonder why people even want to play politics now of all times to begin with. I'm on the other end of the spectrum but my first and foremost thoughts right now are doing what I can to keep myself and other safe.

"A tragedy is not the time to play politics" is exactly what people in power always say to make sure that the systems that caused the tragedy never change. Mass shootings aren't the time to talk about gun control, wars aren't the time to talk about foreign policy, and pandemics aren't the time to talk about health care.

When one of the major political parties in the country adopts policies that directly lead to this crisis, the crisis is already political. Saying "don't make it political" is saying "don't hold your leaders responsible for the damage they cause."

It is possible to both care for your neighbor and community, and demand your elected leaders do better, at the same time.

Edited by PhyrxianLibrarin
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

"A tragedy is not the time to play politics" is exactly what people in power always say to make sure that the systems that caused the tragedy never change. Mass shootings aren't the time to talk about gun control, wars aren't the time to talk about foreign policy, and pandemics aren't the time to talk about health care.

When one of the major political parties in the country adopts policies that directly lead to this crisis, the crisis is already political. Saying "don't make it political" is saying "don't hold your leaders responsible for the damage they cause."

It is possible to both care for your neighbor and community, and demand your elected leaders do better, at the same time.

Don't play with me when it comes to guns and  you're comparing a medical pandemic which is largely out of human control to man made caused situations and the point is that there's bigger problems out there than whining about the people in political power especially when it's usually partisan complaining. I don't bitch about the Democrats stalling anything Trump wants to do because they want to add ridiculous fuckery like $300 million for PBS in the stimulous  bill because that's the least of my concerns right now

Hey, at least your president is not a certified nut job that goes around calling the disease "a little flu", like Bolsonaro does, around these parts. He's actively engaging in psychological warfare with the state governors over how to handle the crisis - and, let me tell you, he's more worried about "the economy" than "the people". He doesn't even really try to disguise it.

His supporters actually frighten me.

Edited by BetoJR_FOR
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BetoJR_FOR said:

Hey, at least your president is not a certified nut job that goes around calling the disease "a little flu", like Bolsonaro does, around these parts. He's actively engaging in psychological warfare with the state governors over how to handle the crisis - and, let me tell you, he's more worried about "the economy" than "the people". He doesn't even really try to disguise it.

His supporters actually frighten me.

Come off it, my governor outright lied about not receiving help from the feds until it was revealed she never made the formal request and I seriously want you to think about the long reaching ramifications of the US economy going down the toilet because when this pandemic ends, the last thing you want is multiple bankruptcies and joblessness following it.

4 minutes ago, Bliss said:

This tweet is from an actual police force in England. I wish it was a parody... but it isn't.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

https://twitter.com/CentralBedsCPT/status/1249003469098319873

How did they think that tweet was a good idea? It should have been clear that it would receive backlash before they made it public.

8 minutes ago, Bliss said:

This tweet is from an actual police force in England. I wish it was a parody... but it isn't.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

That's almost as bad as the tweet where they claimed things like scissors in a weapons sweep.

20 minutes ago, majob said:

Come off it, my governor outright lied about not receiving help from the feds until it was revealed she never made the formal request and I seriously want you to think about the long reaching ramifications of the US economy going down the toilet because when this pandemic ends, the last thing you want is multiple bankruptcies and joblessness following it.

You seem fun, mate. The (global) economy will bounce back - as for the people who were lost? That's a whole different jar of pickles.

Edited by BetoJR_FOR

Right now, I'm feeling heartbroken for all the people in the deep south states (Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia) who were hit by devastating tornadoes yesterday.  Mississippi especially was hit hard by two EF5 tornadoes.  Shelters have had to be opened despite the lockdown orders because the storm risk is greater than COVID-19, many are without electricity, people have died and homes and been destroyed.  I sincerely hope that President Trump and FEMA provide funding and assistance to these states as they really need it right now, I sadly haven't seen any comments from the president in regard to this situation though.

In terms of how people here are feeling about Trump's handling of the whole COVID-19 situation, I suggest making your vote count in the November elections - regardless of what your political affiliations are.  We all need to learn from what's currently happening and move forward in a way so that we are more prepared for future pandemics that will inevitably occur

13 minutes ago, BetoJR_FOR said:

You seem fun, mate. The (global) economy will bounce back - as for the people who were lost? That's a whole different jar of pickles.

Do you shed a tear for the roughly 100 thousand people who die every day too?You're always better off preventing an economic slump than waiting to bounce back from one not to mention the far reaching affects of what happens while you're currently in one. This isn't about depreciating human life, it's about ensuring it can carry on. The dead will still be dead when this is all over but the rest of us have to go on living

Edited by majob

I got a surprise in my bank account this morning, it was the federal relief money sent by direct deposit. I was expecting a paper check mailed to me several weeks from now. My pay is given to me by direct deposit through the military, but also my tax returns are set up to be done by direct deposit via Turbotax. I'd expect that if you've been doing your taxes electronically and have had a return direct deposited to you in the past, the IRS will use that method in order to get that money to you the easiest way possible.

26 minutes ago, charxsetsuna said:

How did they think that tweet was a good idea? It should have been clear that it would receive backlash before they made it public.

This country is an authoritarian shithole and has been for years, that's why. It's just the recent situation and their ever increasing powers have caused them to become emboldened. I just thank any God that may be out there that the UK has no actual influence in the world anymore.

21 minutes ago, majob said:

That's almost as bad as the tweet where they claimed things like scissors in a weapons sweep.

Technically, scissors can be counted as a weapon in the UK unless you have a good enough reason for carrying them out in public. Just about anything can be deemed an offensive weapon.

A pensioner was arrested and dragged to court on a murder charge in a trial that lasted weeks because he stabbed a burglar to death with a screwdriver.

Edited by Bliss
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Technically, scissors can be counted as a weapon in the UK unless you have a good enough reason for carrying them out in public. Just about anything can be deemed an offensive weapon.

A pensioner was arrested and dragged to court on a murder charge in a trial that lasted weeks because he stabbed a burglar to death with a screwdriver.

Jesus that's ridiculous. I wish you guys had the same right to self defense as we do

Edited by majob

2 minutes ago, majob said:

Jesus that's ridiculous. I wish you guys had the same right to self defense as we do

I wish we did too but we are taught to be reliant on the state for protection in all circumstances. You are meant to run, hide and call the authorities.

Regarding COVID-19, death toll just keeps rising here and the lockdown will most likely become more draconian. Boris tested negative for the virus before being discharged from hospital. I think he is still isolating, though just to be on the safe side. That's about it, really.

No sign of mass graves or anything like that. Yet.

Whether the virus came from the meat in the market or if man made/mutated the virus in a laboratory... the truth of the matter is that if Xi Jinping and his entourage would have not arrested Dr Li Wenliang and associates, and acted accordingly to prevent the spread of the virus, a large majority of what is happening now could have been prevented. 

I have been saying this to my family, friends, and colleagues to stay off of social media and take what you hear from the news outlets with grains of salt until you can verify their reporting with multiple sources.

April 30th cannot come quick enough.