Mesopithecus

COVID-19 Megathread

488 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This tweet is from an actual police force in England. I wish it was a parody... but it isn't.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Edited by Bliss
Embedded tweet instead of link

8 minutes ago, Bliss said:

This tweet is from an actual police force in England. I wish it was a parody... but it isn't.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

That's almost as bad as the tweet where they claimed things like scissors in a weapons sweep.

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, majob said:

Come off it, my governor outright lied about not receiving help from the feds until it was revealed she never made the formal request and I seriously want you to think about the long reaching ramifications of the US economy going down the toilet because when this pandemic ends, the last thing you want is multiple bankruptcies and joblessness following it.

You seem fun, mate. The (global) economy will bounce back - as for the people who were lost? That's a whole different jar of pickles.

Edited by BetoJR_FOR

Right now, I'm feeling heartbroken for all the people in the deep south states (Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia) who were hit by devastating tornadoes yesterday.  Mississippi especially was hit hard by two EF5 tornadoes.  Shelters have had to be opened despite the lockdown orders because the storm risk is greater than COVID-19, many are without electricity, people have died and homes and been destroyed.  I sincerely hope that President Trump and FEMA provide funding and assistance to these states as they really need it right now, I sadly haven't seen any comments from the president in regard to this situation though.

In terms of how people here are feeling about Trump's handling of the whole COVID-19 situation, I suggest making your vote count in the November elections - regardless of what your political affiliations are.  We all need to learn from what's currently happening and move forward in a way so that we are more prepared for future pandemics that will inevitably occur

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, BetoJR_FOR said:

You seem fun, mate. The (global) economy will bounce back - as for the people who were lost? That's a whole different jar of pickles.

Do you shed a tear for the roughly 100 thousand people who die every day too?You're always better off preventing an economic slump than waiting to bounce back from one not to mention the far reaching affects of what happens while you're currently in one. This isn't about depreciating human life, it's about ensuring it can carry on. The dead will still be dead when this is all over but the rest of us have to go on living

Edited by majob

I got a surprise in my bank account this morning, it was the federal relief money sent by direct deposit. I was expecting a paper check mailed to me several weeks from now. My pay is given to me by direct deposit through the military, but also my tax returns are set up to be done by direct deposit via Turbotax. I'd expect that if you've been doing your taxes electronically and have had a return direct deposited to you in the past, the IRS will use that method in order to get that money to you the easiest way possible.

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, charxsetsuna said:

How did they think that tweet was a good idea? It should have been clear that it would receive backlash before they made it public.

This country is an authoritarian shithole and has been for years, that's why. It's just the recent situation and their ever increasing powers have caused them to become emboldened. I just thank any God that may be out there that the UK has no actual influence in the world anymore.

21 minutes ago, majob said:

That's almost as bad as the tweet where they claimed things like scissors in a weapons sweep.

Technically, scissors can be counted as a weapon in the UK unless you have a good enough reason for carrying them out in public. Just about anything can be deemed an offensive weapon.

A pensioner was arrested and dragged to court on a murder charge in a trial that lasted weeks because he stabbed a burglar to death with a screwdriver.

Edited by Bliss

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Technically, scissors can be counted as a weapon in the UK unless you have a good enough reason for carrying them out in public. Just about anything can be deemed an offensive weapon.

A pensioner was arrested and dragged to court on a murder charge in a trial that lasted weeks because he stabbed a burglar to death with a screwdriver.

Jesus that's ridiculous. I wish you guys had the same right to self defense as we do

Edited by majob

2 minutes ago, majob said:

Jesus that's ridiculous. I wish you guys had the same right to self defense as we do

I wish we did too but we are taught to be reliant on the state for protection in all circumstances. You are meant to run, hide and call the authorities.

Regarding COVID-19, death toll just keeps rising here and the lockdown will most likely become more draconian. Boris tested negative for the virus before being discharged from hospital. I think he is still isolating, though just to be on the safe side. That's about it, really.

No sign of mass graves or anything like that. Yet.

Whether the virus came from the meat in the market or if man made/mutated the virus in a laboratory... the truth of the matter is that if Xi Jinping and his entourage would have not arrested Dr Li Wenliang and associates, and acted accordingly to prevent the spread of the virus, a large majority of what is happening now could have been prevented. 

I have been saying this to my family, friends, and colleagues to stay off of social media and take what you hear from the news outlets with grains of salt until you can verify their reporting with multiple sources.

April 30th cannot come quick enough.

20 minutes ago, MooseSketts said:

April 30th cannot come quick enough.

I'm with you but I honestly feel this won't be over until June because things are still in a downward slope

Posted (edited)

people are saying 6 weeks more for the uk and while I dont think its confirmed at all, it does seem likely.

Edited by charxsetsuna

Posted (edited)

I have been trying to find the original source of this rather than a random Twitter account but no luck so far. I'm genuinely surprised he didn't get arrested...

Edited by Bliss
Embedded

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

I got a surprise in my bank account this morning, it was the federal relief money sent by direct deposit. I was expecting a paper check mailed to me several weeks from now. My pay is given to me by direct deposit through the military, but also my tax returns are set up to be done by direct deposit via Turbotax. I'd expect that if you've been doing your taxes electronically and have had a return direct deposited to you in the past, the IRS will use that method in order to get that money to you the easiest way possible.

They said they would base it on the bank account information you gave for 2018 or 2019 or if you get your Social Security benefits by direct deposit. I haven't gotten mine yet, but I'm watching for it. Figure one day I'll check my bank account and it'll be there.

And Florida has declared WWE essential business. Not sure if I should laugh or facepalm.

https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/wwe-to-resume-live-tv-tapings-after-being-deemed-essential-business-by-florida-governors-office/

Edited by MidnightDragon

4 hours ago, majob said:

I'm with you but I honestly feel this won't be over until June because things are still in a downward slope

I agree with you about it going past April (I am saying April because that's what the powers-to-be have in place).  I am convinced that the hysteria* won't go away until late August/early September.

*Hysteria = things such as, but not limited to, grocery hoarding, business reopening, schools reopening - you know... normalcy.

There's going to be a protest tomorrow in my state over our governor's recent mandates when she extended the shutdown. Wonder how that's going to work out

Hello guys, I speak from Brazil. We have recently become an international joke (we were, but now ...). The reason? There are people (not a few, there was a motorcade) calling for an end to the quarantine claiming that COVID-19 is a communist thing. The president of the republic himself (THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC) shares this ideal and criticizes isolation. I hope that one day we will be able to get out of isolation, because without a membership of at least 70% of the population, the contagion curve of the virus will take time to begin to descend. 

Sorry for the outburst, but the situation of the coronavirus in Brazil is very serious and they are not counting all the cases.

Well good news from my province. Keep up the isolation people, :D it is helping.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/no-new-covid-19-cases-announced-in-manitoba-on-tuesday-but-risk-is-not-reduced-health-officials-1.4895309

Also I will be finally working from home starting Thursday. Will feel good to do some work as it will be kind of like normalcy again :)

Finally, blood donor clinics desperately need blood right now. So if you are physically able to please consider donating. This is the Canadian link as I don't know how other countries do it.

https://myaccount.blood.ca/en/donate/*?gclid=CjwKCAjwvtX0BRAFEiwAGWJyZH6ekQ0Lp4shI61Ow1hOn-h2mCYKUNeqTGrQzW2cSz6FkB0xFs_DYRoC8GYQAvD_BwE

Can someone please explain to me why a lot of places are discussing reopening things in May?

That is way too soon. That shouldn't happen until June at the minimum. In all honesty... that's probably too soon as well. Yet this seems to be happening anyway.

Yep. This is totally the right thing to do. 😒

We're all going to die. Yay. 😑

9 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Can someone please explain to me why a lot of places are discussing reopening things in May?

That is way too soon. That shouldn't happen until June at the minimum. In all honesty... that's probably too soon as well. Yet this seems to be happening anyway.

Yep. This is totally the right thing to do. 1f612.png

We're all going to die. Yay. 1f611.png

Unfortunately only a second spike in cases will wake them up to the situation.

Just now, charxsetsuna said:

k.

Well I'm not changing anything until I feel safe.

And that sure as hell won't be in May.

1 hour ago, charxsetsuna said:

I sure hope that's not what it takes. When the curve is flattened, it's still not a time to grow complacent. I think any reopenings should be held off until July. Even after this is pretty much reined in and we're all getting an annual jab in the arm for it, I'll still stay with most of the changes to my habits (like 20 seconds for washing hands, washing before eating, etc.).

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/health/coronavirus-prone-positioning/index.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/coronavirus-you-should-sleep-face-21749997

Could lying face down could help C19 patients breathe better? Sure seems so. Dr. Mangala Narasimhan got a call from a colleague who was dealing with a severely ill C19 patient in Long Island Jewish Hospital's ICU. To her colleague, she said "Before I come over there, try turning the patient over onto his stomach and see if that helps". Well, did it ever. After being placed prone, the patient started improving in condition, with his oxygen saturation going from 85% to 98%. And there is a study that seems to fall in line with that... some researchers found that sleeping face down can help a C19 patient's breathing. Interesting stuff.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Yep. This is totally the right thing to do. 1f612.png

We're all going to die. Yay. 1f611.png

Agreed, but it's the states' decision, no matter what the White House thinks and most are not jumping up and down.

3 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

k.

Well I'm not changing anything until I feel safe.

And that sure as hell won't be in May.

My routines haven't had to change too much and it likely will remain so. 

And a day after Trump claimed he had total authority to reopen the economy (the Constitution makes it clear the states do), he backed down. In the last 3 1/2 years, I've learned take nothing he says seriously. This has just reinforced it.

Edited by MidnightDragon

I finally got my stimulus in my bank today.

I'll spend some and probably save the rest until this goes away and/or I feel safe enough to get another job (I have no idea when that will be honestly)