COVID-19 Megathread

Mesopithecus

Missouri’s governor extended the stay at home and also has said he thinks it may not be better until summer and said he’ll see how things are then before starting to reopen. Glad to see his head isn’t  completely full of rocks.

Edited by MidnightDragon

5 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

*sighs*

They gave BS wording for it but Ohio is going forward with reopening the state on May 1st.

The BS wording they gave was they are going to 'begin to reopen' but they are pretty much reopening.

Yep. This is the best idea ever and it totally isn't going to end horribly or anything. ?

I'm not doing a damn thing different.

What are you going to do for money?

Those panic buyers who wipe out all the hand sanitizer really need to knock it off. I've had to make my own with rubbing alcohol and aloe vera gel.

BTW, here's a poem I read just now by Yayoi Kusama about that "terrible monster", the C19 pandemic. Yes, C19 does need to "Disappear from this earth".

Though it glistens just out of reach, I continue to pray for hope to shine through
Its glimmer lighting our way
This long awaited great cosmic glow
Now that we find ourselves on the dark side of the world
The gods will be there to strengthen the hope we have spread throughout the universe
For those left behind, each person's story and that of their loved ones
It is time to seek a hymn of love for our souls
In the midst of this historic menace, a brief burst of light points to the future
Let us joyfully sing this song of a splendid future
Let's go

Embraced in deep love and the efforts of people all over the world
Now is the time to overcome, to bring peace
We gathered for love and I hope to fulfil that desire
The time has come to fight and overcome our unhappiness
To COVID-19 that stands in our way
I say Disappear from this earth
We shall fight
We shall fight this terrible monster
Now is the time for people all over the world to stand up
My deep gratitude goes to all those who are already fighting.
Revolutionist of the world by the Art
From Yayoi Kusama

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Those panic buyers who wipe out all the hand sanitizer really need to knock it off. I've had to make my own with rubbing alcohol and aloe vera gel.

It's not quite the same but alcohol wipes can do in a pinch along with hydrogen peroxide. 

• Like 1

I don't know if we can actually avoid a second hit of the virus. The way back to normal life will be slow and its no something we should expect right after the end of the lockdown measures. The return to 100% normality will be possible only after the massive production of the vaccine, which of course we expect at least to be announced within the next months, as many tests for posibles candidates have been done now at the expectation of possible results.

Fortunately, the curve in most of Europe has been flattening in the last days, but even at its lowest the risk of a second outbreak will still be there, and that's what makes that 100% back to normality no posible until the arrival of the vaccine. I think in Italy they are studying the situation in the so called 2-Phase, which they are close to. I know we are gonna get with pandemic over with, but we need to be patient and evaluate if our country is actually ready finish quarantine.

Several states are starting to reopen as early as Friday. The fools. I hope they can live with it if there’s a large spike of sickness and death and things are forced back into lockdown. That will just cause more damage. Well, if the outcome is bad, those governors will have to answer for it. And I really don’t think it’s going to be as wonderful as they expect

Edited by MidnightDragon

Some governors are making the mother of all bad decisions. And so are those protesters out there in various states that are willfully disobeying SIP orders... I hate to say it, but if these protesters end up sick with C19 from their large gathering, karma is a bitch. You don't gamble with this.

It is just way too early. Reopening really should not happen any sooner than July. Am I being too conservative there? I don't think so.

Thank Fuck I don't live with these people, how f'n stupid can people be? At least they can spell in 2020, that's a leap forward. My Body, My Choice? Are these the Trump voters? The mind boggles. They are asking for a mandatory quarantine as clearly they are a threat to society.

Anti-lockdown protests

Edited by Z1MZUM

Oh, those protesters. ? I bet that more than a few of them will have changed their minds within the 12-18 months from now it takes a vaccine to be available. And by the way, a little more shame on these particular ones for not wearing masks... and not being 2 meters apart. It's painfully obvious that they don't take this seriously.

• Like 1

Those protestors are Fucking disgraceful , seriously just be Fucking patient and it’ll be over sooner then rushing bac to have stuff open and second wave hitting and lockdown going on longer. Now I seriously won’t give any sympathy if any of these protesters get the virus.

i just don’t want to see these protests spread to other countries 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Conker said:

Those protestors are Fucking disgraceful , seriously just be Fucking patient and it’ll be over sooner then rushing bac to have stuff open and second wave hitting and lockdown going on longer. Now I seriously won’t give any sympathy if any of these protesters get the virus.

i just don’t want to see these protests spread to other countries 

My thoughts exactly, Even though I love the U.S and it's people we tend to blindly follow. 

I've been locked down since the day I got on the Diamond Princess, This home Lock down is a breeze in comparison . Looking at these selfish little shits is agonizing.

Portuguese situation:

State of emergency until the 2nd of May. The growth rate of infections has been decreasing and has been stabilizing real good (the foreign press calls it, the "Portuguese Miracle"). Yes, we are part of the countries that pretend to remove a few restrictions starting May if the state of emergency does not get renewed for a 3rd time.

From what I understood, the first steps toward the "relief" of lockdown here is to re-open some factories, some local businesses like barbershops, local restaurants (some are already open exclusively for take-away), but of course, with security rules and procedures, like he mandatory use of masks, for example.

There is the slight possibility of some universities having some classes in their campus, even though they will prioritize labs and practical classes that cannot be realized at home. As for school in general, until summer, all kids started their home-school work. Only some high school students will be able to go to classes in their actual school to prepare themselves for final exams they will take (exams that count towards university sign up), being a mix of home-school and being at the actual school.

I know it might seem early for some people, but truth is, people need to get money and sustain their families. For example, one of these days, I went to work outside (to help with some voluntary work in a food storage), and went to a local family restaurant (take-away) for dinner. The owner told me that he could only hold the restaurant for one more month. "If things don't open up by May, me and my family, we are doomed.", those were his words.

Funny though, our politicians have been handling the situation very well, and the portuguese are impressed because in general, the Portuguese Parliament has a lot of corrupted deputees and sometimes take stupid decisions (a circus as we like to call)... They really are learning by watching what's happenning to the countries that are more affected (mainly our neighbours from Spain), until the Parliament decides to celebrate two holidays that will happen very soon... With dozens of people there... Wow, some (non)example to isolation... -.-

Common sense must be king here. Even though we know some people don't comply with it. I'm afraid that as soon as some things get lifted here, some people might abuse and not have the correct behaviours... Still, on the other side, younger people and healthy people must start to get in contact with the virus little by little to create group immunity (in a controlled way of course), continuing to avoid contact with people who belong to the risk group. The vaccine is going to take too long, and by the time it arrives, it will be expensive for certain, and must prioritize risk group people.

Like I always said, I am not afraid of the virus in the way that something will happen to me (the chances of things going wrong from me are very low), but the possibility of passing the virus to someone else, now that frightens me...

COVID 19, really has exposed a ton of bootlicker authoritarians among us, smh, you do realize the pretext "it's for your own good" is how every government takes away its citizens rights for millennia right? I was one of the first covid alarmists back in January but I respect the people who don't want their civil liberties trampled just because of a virus. Non americans obviously don't get how important the constitution is, since our governments have already taken away our rights a long time ago and we're just coping atm. The people saying my body my choice are right. Suddenly all the pro feminists and pro abortionists, who kept saying you can't do anything to my body without consent are fine with doctors forcefully vaccinating people? If you want to get the vaccine, take the fucking vaccine, and if you don't, you shouldn't be forced to. Also the lockdown shit has gotten really retarded, what the fuck are people paying taxes for "muh universal healthcare" their whole lives, if the government is gonna deny them hospitalization in the end because it's "over capacity", really? Again the protestors are right, if you're scared of corona (I am too to an extent) go out with a mask, and don't support the indefinite enslavement of your fellow citizens

• Like 1

Just so everyone is clear, "Doctor" Phil is a doctor in the same way as Krieger is a doctor: he's the other kind (and just like Krieger there's some questions as to if he's even the "other kind"). Specifically he has a PhD in clinical psychology. He's a Doctor of Philosophy, not a Doctor of Medicine; psychiatry is the specialty where the practitioners are actual medical doctors. Which means he's just as qualified to give his opinions on epidemiology as you, I, and the cashier at Walmart is.

3 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

Just so everyone is clear, "Doctor" Phil is a doctor in the same way as Krieger is a doctor: he's the other kind (and just like Krieger there's some questions as to if he's even the "other kind"). Specifically he has a PhD in clinical psychology. He's a Doctor of Philosophy, not a Doctor of Medicine; psychiatry is the specialty where the practitioners are actual medical doctors. Which means he's just as qualified to give his opinions on epidemiology as you, I, and the cashier at Walmart is.

What about me? I am the resident PHD of PSNP :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Feral said:

You’re a true doctor, Doc. Your recommendations of more rum and beer have never steered me wrong.

And during these troubling times I recommend you double your dose. :highfive:

8 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

Which means you're qualified to be a professor of video games?

I believe that is what it qualifies me for :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Kentucky had an anti stay at home protest...and now the state has seen a spike in cases. Gee, I wonder why! :facepalm: You can't fix stupid.

I think the spike in cases is proof that you can, in fact, fix stupid. Just not the way you'd like to. :(

Good reminder that the people protesting aren't saying "let me go back to work, I have the right to risk my own life". They're saying "make other people go back to work and risk their lives, so I can get a haircut".

• Like 1

I've never really focused on politics much until now, but I'm glad to be in a state with Cuomo as governor.  Who knows if it's the kind of person he is, or just the fact he's unfortunately had to see the worst of this disease in New York City... but I do trust with him at the helm that the state will re-open when it's appropriate to maintain our health, and not just caving to political pressure.  After what he's gone through, I'm sure he doesn't give any fucks how people want/expect him to handle things.  I don't live in NYC, I live closer to Buffalo and we'll re-open before downstate... understandably so... but I believe they'll do it at the right time with the right precautions in place.  I mean, hopefully.

Oh, and fuck the protesters.  Nothing shows "c'mon, let us get back to work, we can be responsible and protect ourselves" like gathering en masse, without masks, and foregoing social distancing.  I'd say I hope they get sick, if they weren't going to kill countless innocent people and waste precious healthcare resources by bringing it home with them and into their communities.  What a damn shame.

4 hours ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

Good reminder that the people protesting aren't saying "let me go back to work, I have the right to risk my own life". They're saying "make other people go back to work and risk their lives, so I can get a haircut".

Man, I would hope these protests are at least being facilitated by people out of work, financially strapped, with their livelihoods at stake.  If it's really just bored people upset their favorite stores are closed, that's on a whole different level.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

I've never really focused on politics much until now, but I'm glad to be in a state with Cuomo as governor.  Who knows if it's the kind of person he is, or just the fact he's unfortunately had to see the worst of this disease in New York City... but I do trust with him at the helm that the state will re-open when it's appropriate to maintain our health, and not just caving to political pressure.  After what he's gone through, I'm sure he doesn't give any fucks how people want/expect him to handle things.  I don't live in NYC, I live closer to Buffalo and we'll re-open before downstate... understandably so... but I believe they'll do it at the right time with the right precautions in place.  I mean, hopefully.

Oh, and fuck the protesters.  Nothing shows "c'mon, let us get back to work, we can be responsible and protect ourselves" like gathering en masse, without masks, and foregoing social distancing.  I'd say I hope they get sick, if they weren't going to kill countless innocent people and waste precious healthcare resources by bringing it home with them and into their communities.  What a damn shame.

Man, I would hope these protests are at least being facilitated by people out of work, financially strapped, with their livelihoods at stake.  If it's really just bored people upset their favorite stores are closed, that's on a whole different level.

The Times did an episode of the Daily today where they looked into its origins. I can't remember all the details, but I think the Devos family financed some of the Michigan organizing. Essentially their findings were that the protests were facilitated indirectly by the White House and the same political fundraising committees that funded the Tea Party movement a few years ago.

Looking at some of those right-wing protestors, it almost seems like a lot of their message is that people themselves should have the right to choose whether they live or die from a disease, and that it's wrong for the government to step in and make that decision for them...

Huh.