COVID-19 Megathread

Mesopithecus

3 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

I know. After seeing the flack storm, he's trying to cop out. If anyone really, truly believes it was sarcasm... I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell them. Trump's statement is not very becoming of his position. Those words would never have left the lips of a proper president. I feel sorry for poor Barron having that man as his father.

Hopefully in November, Trump will have to start cleaning out his desk to make way for Biden. Pretty much anyone else > Trump.

Now he’s blaming the media for everything (of course) and saying no more COVID briefings. Probably for the best since he turned them into a total shitshow since he used them to replace his rallies.

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 2

Amen... and hallelujah. I'd rather watch that ABC News afternoon show about the pandemic than listen to one of his briefings. The people on that show understand the subject way better.

When shopping for groceries a week ago, I noticed that the store's staff were all wearing masks. Very good... that's just as it should be. I had one on during my visit, but unfortunately not all the other customers did. I guess it was about 7 out of every 10. Not too bad, but there is room for improvement.

1 hour ago, MidnightDragon said:

After all that whining, he's holding one tonight. Should've known his lust for attention would win out. 

He had to tease his appearance to build up the ratings. If the Super Bowl was every day it would cease to be special.

I hope he does all of his biggest hits. "Lock Her Up" "Build the Wall" "Bing Bing Bing" "CHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINA"

Edited by Dr_Mayus

On 4/26/2020 at 2:17 PM, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

Planet Money did a really good episode on how economists measure the "value" of a human life to determine whether it's worth it to implement safety measures. By their estimation, even if the economy stays in lockdown for like 3-4 months, that's _still_ better overall than relaxing it now and causing tens of thousands of vulnerable people to die.

In the past couple years, I've come to respect the economist way of thinking a lot more than I used to. It's still boring as balls and I'd never want to do it, but I'm glad someone does. This is a really unbiased and data-driven way of looking at a problem that people feel strongly about in partisan ways. I think it's interesting though that people in positions of power (regardless of idealogical affiliation) so often still really don't listen to their economists. I'm thinking of someone like Gavin Newsome (sp?) in this case, the Cali governor -- who's very liberal. I can't see him taking these equations to heart and putting them into practice.

On 4/26/2020 at 10:22 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

Well hopefully people understand that "the stock market is doing great" is not actually a sign that the economy is doing great. If 1% own all the money then that doesn't help anyone below that 1% when shit goes down.

And it isn't even social media. It is status updates on this very site where people complain about Amazon not getting them their game the day it comes out when they could just go to one of dozens of stores that sell that very game.

Just a few years ago I could walk to at least 3 stores that sold games and could drive within 5 minutes of my apartment to 10 stores (Eb Game, Eb Games, Futureshop, Bestbuy, Superstore, Toys R Us, The Source, Walmart, HMV, Blockbuster)  that sold the same game...but people like the convenience of ordering online and so slowly these stores went away.

Just think I used to work for Sony from 2010-2012. On my list of stores I had 54 locations to visit and that didn't include HMV, Blockbuster and Rogers Video (all of which had at least a dozen stores each in Winnipeg). Now if I had worked for them that list would be down to about 27 locations total (Walmart, Best Buy, Toys R Us and EB Games) and all the Blockbusters/HMVs/Rogers are gone. And those are big chain stores that are gone, the stores like Star Time, Renegade, Microplay, Videostop, etc are gone way before them :(

And we are just talking games/movies here.

COVID-19 didn't kill small business. Our laziness did. We would rather have the ease of a Walmart, Ikea, Amazon etc because it is cheaper and quicker to do it. Look at Disney, they own pretty much all of movies now. What is their incentive to make new and original titles anymore? Sure a Coco will slip through every now and then but basically we just get MCU, Star Wars and Disney Remakes because they are guaranteed big money makers.

The world we are leaving our kids is a sad one at that.

I don't think people understand anything hence why the future generation will be, blatantly put, fucked...  lol...

Regardless, I tend not to look at status updates on this site.  I cannot believe that a game is more important than essential items.  Must be nice to not have to stress about stuff other than games.

Of course the virus didn't kill small businesses, but it is speeding it along.  Speaking of small businesses it's a miracle that yesterday the company I work for finally got approved for the loan (after hopping to about three or four different banks).  In the grand scheme of things that go on around here the loan amount isn't much.  I just hope it's spent wisely...  ?  Still doesn't mean I want things to remain closed.  Contrary to a majority of the replies here I'm ready to have things reopen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MooseSketts said:

I don't think people understand anything hence why the future generation will be, blatantly put, fucked...  lol...

Regardless, I tend not to look at status updates on this site.  I cannot believe that a game is more important than essential items.  Must be nice to not have to stress about stuff other than games.

Of course the virus didn't kill small businesses, but it is speeding it along.  Speaking of small businesses it's a miracle that yesterday the company I work for finally got approved for the loan (after hopping to about three or four different banks).  In the grand scheme of things that go on around here the loan amount isn't much.  I just hope it's spent wisely...  1f644.png  Still doesn't mean I want things to remain closed.  Contrary to a majority of the replies here I'm ready to have things reopen.

Well good news about the loan ?

And dont get me wrong, I want stuff to reopen but just as long as a plan is in place. I think it is crazy that the small coffee shop at the end of my block is closed but Tim Hortons is open.

I guarantee a 1 woman operation whose sole income is reliant on that store being open will have better rules in place for COVID than a large corporation with a bunch of 16 year olds working there that can afford to pay a fine if they break the rules.

• Like 1

Oh goodie.

I just got a reminder e-mail for an appointment I apparently have for my dermatologist this Thursday. I know some offices are doing video appointments but that doesn't mean they all are.

With the way my luck is I'll have to actually go down in person for it. Because that's a good idea. Totally.

start planning my funeral everyone

On 4/26/2020 at 0:50 PM, MooseSketts said:

For the people who are against reopening... businesses have already gone under or started to fail because of the shutdown.

It's almost like people think saying this just makes the virus go away.

On 4/26/2020 at 10:22 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

And it isn't even social media. It is status updates on this very site where people complain about Amazon not getting them their game the day it comes out when they could just go to one of dozens of stores that sell that very game.

While people should respect that Amazon is prioritizing more important things than their games... suggesting everyone frolics out to their favorite local store in person to pick up a game seems misguided.  There's a pandemic happening.  Stay home unless you NEED something.

Edited by Dreakon13

7 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

It's almost like people think saying this just makes the virus go away.

While people should respect that Amazon is prioritizing more important things than their games... suggesting everyone frolics out to their favorite local store in person to pick up a game seems misguided.  There's a pandemic happening.  Stay home unless you NEED something.

Not now, before the pandemic.

11 hours ago, MooseSketts said:

Still doesn't mean I want things to remain closed.  Contrary to a majority of the replies here I'm ready to have things reopen.

You realize there's a pandemic happening, right?  A highly contagious virus in circulation that's still infecting and killing a lot of people?  Businesses aren't closed just because it's such a gosh darn fun thing to do.  It doesn't really matter what you want, or how ready you are.

Edited by Dreakon13

At this time there is no such thing as being too careful. If the restaurants were to open up tomorrow, would I be in a rush to eat at one of them? No. Just NO. I'd do either Doordash or takeout. I do want businesses to open up eventually, but there are certain conditions that need met.

Hopefully this 12-18 month time frame on a C19 vaccine is a conservative estimate, and one can actually be ready sooner.

10 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I guarantee a 1 woman operation whose sole income is reliant on that store being open will have better rules in place for COVID than a large corporation with a bunch of 16 year olds working there that can afford to pay a fine if they break the rules.

So sad. The fine could bankrupt the small operation but be a mere slap on the wrist for the large one. To level the playing field, I think large corporations should be subject to higher fines, like the way Switzerland scales speeding fines to a person's wealth (there, one rich leadfoot Mercedes-Benz SLS driver had been smacked with a $1M ticket).

Pence didn't wear a mask to the Mayo Clinic. Tsk tsk. When the VP pulls a stunt like that, it's pretty sad. He should have been barred from entering without wearing one.

22 minutes ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

At this time there is no such thing as being too careful. If the restaurants were to open up tomorrow, would I be in a rush to eat at one of them? No. Just NO. I'd do either Doordash or takeout. I do want businesses to open up eventually, but there are certain conditions that need met.

Hopefully this 12-18 month time frame on a C19 vaccine is a conservative estimate, and one can actually be ready sooner.

So sad. The fine could bankrupt the small operation but be a mere slap on the wrist for the large one. To level the playing field, I think large corporations should be subject to higher fines, like the way Switzerland scales speeding fines to a person's wealth (there, one rich leadfoot Mercedes-Benz SLS driver had been smacked with a $1M ticket).

Pence didn't wear a mask to the Mayo Clinic. Tsk tsk. When the VP pulls a stunt like that, it's pretty sad. He should have been barred from entering without wearing one.

I agree. It is like when Cape Town was hit with massive droughts but the rich could pay the water taxes so they could keep their pools filled. Money just makes the world a different place.

Also Trump keeps calling this the invisible enemy. So should the President and Vice-President be taking all precautions to avoid being struck down by this enemy? I mean they have the secret service and bomb proof planes...but a mask is beneath them?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

You realize there's a pandemic happening, right?  A highly contagious virus in circulation that's still infecting and killing a lot of people?  Businesses aren't closed just because it's such a gosh darn fun thing to do.  It doesn't really matter what you want, or how ready you are.

Hm.  I guess I should be asking for forgiveness for voicing my concerns.

I was hoping that people would start thinking about the future and how this virus will impact others/our lives afterwards in an economic and social way.  Has anyone stopped to think why some of the people are out protesting?  Has anyone but me wondered why media outlets have reported more on deaths instead of recoveries?

Our opinions don't seem to align and that's fine.  What's not fine is being talked to like I'm, for lack of another word, an idiot.

11 hours ago, MooseSketts said:

I was hoping that people would start thinking about the future and how this virus will impact others/our lives afterwards in an economic and social way.  Has anyone stopped to think why some of the people are out protesting?  Has anyone but me wondered why media outlets have reported more on deaths instead of recoveries?

People are out protesting because they want other people's businesses to re-open. They don't want themselves to back to work; they want other people to be forced back to work, and risk their lives and the lives of their communities, so they can get their haircuts. The entire basis of the protests are "my right to socialize is more important than your right to live."

The media reports on deaths because the media has learned that negative news gets more clicks than positive news. That's not a conspiracy, that's just profit-chasing, same as any other private business.

There's a big difference between wanting things to re-open, and thinking the various US states are ready for things to re-open.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

People are out protesting because they want other people's businesses to re-open. They don't want themselves to back to work; they want other people to be forced back to work, and risk their lives and the lives of their communities, so they can get their haircuts. The entire basis of the protests are "my right to socialize is more important than your right to live."

The media reports on deaths because the media has learned that negative news gets more clicks than positive news. That's not a conspiracy, that's just profit-chasing, same as any other private business.

There's a big difference between wanting things to re-open, and thinking the various US states are ready for things to re-open.

Odd.  I could have sworn the protests were not just about getting haircuts, but about returning to work.  I suppose my local newspaper reported that incorrectly last week.

In any case, is it any wonder why most people are freaking out about the COVID-19 virus?  Because there are more reports on deaths than recoveries.  We're going to agree to disagree, as a majority of the people in this thread are going to with me, and that's fine.  I'll voice my concerns elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

EDIT: Nevermind, don't feel like a COVID-19 argument taking up any more of my headspace than it already has.

Then don't argue.  I wasn't even attempting to stir up an argument, but perhaps if you are just going to get angry over the slightest things then you should stay off the internet (which is what I've been telling most people nowadays to do).  Not sure what else to tell ya.

1 hour ago, MooseSketts said:

Then don't argue.  I wasn't even attempting to stir up an argument, but perhaps if you are just going to get angry over the slightest things then you should stay off the internet (which is what I've been telling most people nowadays to do).  Not sure what else to tell ya.

Yeah, this reads like someone not trying to stir up an argument. ?  I was leaving it alone, that's what the edit was for, why can't you?

I strongly disagree with you and feel it's literally a matter of life and death.  Opinions, especially those propagating people dying for the economy, are fodder for argument whether you intended it or not.  That's why I argue.  Cut the shit, be glad we're not wasting more time than necessary, and move on.  I'm done.

Edited by Dreakon13

Well, another company is in the race for a vaccine. Germany's BioNTech has launched human trials of their candidate BNT162, and Pfizer said it would test this in the USA as early as next week, with the two companies expecting this trial to be approved soon. What's really interesting about this is that they're aiming to make millions of doses available by the end of 2020, ramping it up to hundred-millions in 2021.

OK, make that two... there's the UK's Oxford University Jenner Institute, hoping to get their ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 ready to roll as early as September.

This sure sounds rather promising. Hopefully a silver bullet for the pandemic is closer than we think.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/europe/germany-pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-test-intl/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/23/health/coronavirus-vaccine-trial-uk-gbr-intl/index.html