COVID-19 Megathread

Mesopithecus

My partner is a mail carrier, so we've got a daily worry that he might catch the thing while at work. They already had two workers diagnosed with covid, one of them hid their symptoms for two and a a half weeks before it got bad enough that hospitalization was required. So, yeah, it's a concern.

For my part, the elders I normally look after have scaled back visitations considerably in favor of reduced exposure. I've spent some time using youtube guides to sterilize and prep bandanas for friends and family that don't have access to other forms of face protection.

Just gotta remember to try and keep calm, folk. Follow the suggested procedures (wash hands, social distancing, etc), keep in contact with people you care about and.....try to keep it together.

So we have the idiots protesting in the USA, UK has this complete Fucking moron https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1276697/Boris-johnson-coronavirus-lockdown-illegal-court-judicial-review-simon-dolan?fbclid=IwAR1BpIzkVum1nv3eJ3uqxjkPmlRk50pZvNVt82nwLYSAfTkktnDZ2bTTs5c

This is really showing how many idiots the world has..... 

• Like 1

Hey, everybody know that episode of South Park where Randy had his own home decorating show, but then there was also these rednecks that were running around waving the Confederate flag at everything?

Yeah, those were the sort of dumb, real-life assholes I kept running into at the grocery store this morning, not wearing masks, aggressively violating the 6 foot social distancing rule, and asking me why I was still wearing mask. People stop talking to you and give you your space when you answer that question with, "Because I'm not a fucking moron."

• Like 4

On 5/2/2020 at 1:42 PM, damon8r351 said:

Yeah, those were the sort of dumb, real-life assholes I kept running into at the grocery store this morning, not wearing masks, aggressively violating the 6 foot social distancing rule, and asking me why I was still wearing mask. People stop talking to you and give you your space when you answer that question with, "Because I'm not a fucking moron."

Amen. I like this answer. And by the way, if said dumb assholes get sick theirselves and suffer (or worse) because of their flouting the rule, then that's karma kicking their butts. I think all stores need to enforce a policy of "No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service" while this damned pandemic continues. You know, like Costco is doing right now.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

Reopening everything this soon I think is a mistake. I know businesses are suffering, I know the economy has taken a hit, but if this thing makes a second wave because everything was Reopened up too early, those businesses and the economy are going to be hit EVEN HARDER. Possibly to the point of beyond repair. Am I worried about the virus? To a degree. If I get sick, I'll either make it or I won't. What I'm worried about is other people. If this gets REALLY bad, it'll make the daily news look like a walk in the park. People will get desperate. Toilet paper won't be the only thing they're after. 

I think one or two more months of lockdown should be enforced. There's alot more at stake than I think people realize.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jackmadrox said:

Reopening everything this soon I think is a mistake. I know businesses are suffering, I know the economy has taken a hit, but if this thing makes a second wave because everything was Reopened up too early, those businesses and the economy are going to be hit EVEN HARDER. Possibly to the point of beyond repair. Am I worried about the virus? To a degree. If I get sick, I'll either make it or I won't. What I'm worried about is other people. If this gets REALLY bad, it'll make the daily news look like a walk in the park. People will get desperate. Toilet paper won't be the only thing they're after. 

I think one or two more months of lockdown should be enforced. There's alot more at stake than I think people realize.

I agree 110%. Since this started, I've always believed that any plan to reopen should really wait until July. People should not have been so selfish and crying for stuff to be reopened this soon. Too many out there just don't think about the whole picture. Some retailers are already on thin ice, such as Sears, JCPenney, Neiman Marcus, and J.Crew. A second wave would probably nuke whatever small remaining chance these businesses have of sticking around. If they do survive, they could very well have to drop brick and mortar stores, going to an online only model.

Norway is opening all schools on Monday. I doubt the schools are ready because it's short notice. Also, parks and restaurants will open in June, not fully I think. Groups up to 20 are allowed to congregate. Things are slowly, very slowly getting back to normal, but I know of some parents who are still nervous about letting their kids go back to school. I'm more worried about a second wave happening. However, we can't be in lockdown for too long, even with Norway's national savings.

3 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Norway is opening all schools on Monday. I doubt the schools are ready because it's short notice. Also, parks and restaurants will open in June, not fully I think. Groups up to 20 are allowed to congregate. Things are slowly, very slowly getting back to normal, but I know of some parents who are still nervous about letting their kids go back to school. I'm more worried about a second wave happening. However, we can't be in lockdown for too long, even with Norway's national savings.

All the state parks are closed in the general area I live in (West Coast USA). Some restaurants opened up a few weeks ago, most stores are only available online and I've probably ordered $1000 - 1200 just from Amazon alone these past few weeks. A couple people I live with have been locked up with me buying everything by the bulk online.

It's still going to be quite some time before things go back to normal. And even when they do, people will still be wearing breathing masks over their faces, and washing food products like Cheetos and sanitizing any Asian food product that was imported.

Sad, difficult times we live in. All we can do is hope and pray the worlds doctors, clinics and medical workers will find a cure vaccine for this C19 virus.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Norway is opening all schools on Monday. I doubt the schools are ready because it's short notice. 

Around here, there are representatives from the schools talking daily with the governor about what their coordination looks like. The teachers are also talking at least weekly with their principals and have been doing so since the stay at home order was issued. From speaking with family who are teachers, many of the schools came up with plans before the end of March and have been ready since. I sure hope your school administration has been doing the same.

That said, there will be no schools opening here until September at the soonest. There are already accommodations for schools in districts that show anything over a certain level of infection to stay closed and administer remote teaching. 

• Like 2

My county hasn't lift the lockdown protocols, but the governor has made them more lax in an effort to get people to go back to work and resume tending to the economy. However in an ironic twist of fate, more people have been getting sick and in turn, more people have been dying here because of it. Not sure how to feel, but I've been wearing a mask whenever I leave the house. Scary stuff.

• Like 1

People within Donald Trump's pissing range at the White House have the COVID-19 virus. He had this shit coming to him. People in his own fucking organization.

And still to this very day, there are enough idiot redneck Donald Trump supporters who will defend any piece of bullshit that comes out of his filthy mouth. They'll scream and shout, maybe cause a disaster somewhere because they couldn't be bothered to learn American History. Completing tossing aside important events like the Civil Rights Movement, telling our kids that the Holocaust was completely fake. Those are the kinds of people we put as our leaders, and they are failing us.

Trump's Twitter account is just a long gag that bombed a long time ago.

Barack Obama had a pandemic plan when he was in office. Trump basically tossed that all out, there's no fucking plan at all.

If somehow this man wins a second term of office, America is dead set on the path to destruction. It's already happening, unless we decide to make some positive changes starting very soon.

I never felt less proud and more ashamed of this country than now.

If you guys think I just don't like America, you couldn't be more off the path.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Spaz said:

People within Donald Trump's pissing range at the White House have the COVID-19 virus. He had this shit coming to him. People in his own fucking organization.

And still to this very day, there are enough idiot redneck Donald Trump supporters who will defend any piece of bullshit that comes out of his filthy mouth. They'll scream and shout, maybe cause a disaster somewhere because they couldn't be bothered to learn American History. Completing tossing aside important events like the Civil Rights Movement, telling our kids that the Holocaust was completely fake. Those are the kinds of people we put as our leaders, and they are failing us.

Barack Obama had a pandemic plan when he was in office. Trump basically tossed that all out, there's no fucking plan at all.

If somehow this man wins a second term of office, America is dead set on the path to destruction. It's already happening, unless we decide to make some positive changes starting very soon.

+100

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, R123Rob said:

I live in Saxony, Germany and there are 15 new infections and another casualty. In my opinion, the reopening was decided too early. It is slowly increasing again. 1f614.png

Yup, people around here are acting like nothing happened. The amount of people I see posting on Facebook at each others homes or my neighbour having an outdoor party. The second we "reopened" life went back to basically normal.

No new cases in my province yet but it could get bad if people aren't smart.

• Like 1

Things aren't getting any better, but you wouldn't know that just from shopping around here. Practically no one is wearing face protection anymore or even bothering with social distancing. To the point that I was getting strange looks for having my mask on while getting bottled water.

On 5/9/2020 at 9:43 PM, Spaz said:

All too true and ironic. With that being so, any semblance of a plan must come from the state governors and city mayors. I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell to anyone who believes reelecting Trump is a good idea. If I had to pick one single word to describe Trump, it would be "mendacious". Someone who had a dollar for every lie Trump ever told would be richer than him.

If Hillary were president, I'm sure the USA C19 situation would not be quite this bad. She would be using Obama's plans. Trump clearly has always had this obsessive anti-Obama drive and it really screwed the country in the case of C19. I hope to God that enough people who got conned by Trump into choosing him the first time know better now. As Martha Stewart would've put it when she took over Trump's old show The Apprentice, "Donald, Mike... Neither one of you fit in. You're just not working for us."

The 2016 election showed the weakness of the Electoral College's system, which gave Trump a cheesy win that he really didn't earn, thanks to a general "winner take all" rule. If you lose a state by a handful of votes, you've got nothing to show for it. NOTHING. At all. How unfair that is. Also WTA makes certain states gimmes for a candidate. It's pretty much preordained that certain states will be red or blue. So it's all about the swing states.

It wouldn't be so bad if the electoral votes were awarded in proportion to the state's popular vote. So hypothetically, let's say a given state had 50 electoral votes available, then 40,000,000 people voted for A and 60,000,000 voted for B... so that's 100M, with 40% A and 60% B. Giving the electoral votes out proportionally would leave A with 20 and B with 30. Sounds like a better plan. Be that as it may, I feel the best way to decide it is by a straight count of the national popular vote.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

I'm selfish and want to go away again, Hell I'd get back on the Diamond Princess any day. We have been lucky here in Australia, We are not densely populated and we don't have a Trump,,,, yet. This stay at home has nothing on Actual isolation and I feel we are trying to get out of it too quick. I just hope for the sake of humanity that people get it together, I'm talking to you my Northern brethrens. Actually I'm only talking to the states, Actually I'm only talking to the trumptards. I need my reunion with my North American friends, they aren't just friends but they are friends that survived the Diamond with me. It's sounds so cheesy but we are literally blood brothers now, all 12 of us.

10 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

When all of these reopening plans blows up in everyone's faces... I'm going to laugh and I'm going to laugh HARD.

When you say blow up, you are talking specifically about more people getting really sick and more people dying, right? And that’s what you’re going to laugh hard about?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaivRules said:

When you say blow up, you are talking specifically about more people getting really sick and more people dying, right? And that’s what you’re going to laugh hard about?

No. When exactly what you said happens and they expected it not to, they'll have to shut everything down again when that should have been common sense in the first place.

• Like 1

Other countries are calling out Russia on our BS covid stats. And they indeed look weird. The lethal cases rate specifically. We have 2,418 deaths to 58,226 recovered (4%), while the average global percentage right now is 15%. Our Ministry of Foreign Affairs denies all allegations, naturally.

Same stuff is happening in Belarus where the situation is even more stupid because their president completely ignored the idea of lockdown. Their covid death rate is <2% right now.

My (uneducated) guess of what's happening is the cause of death is not being reported as covid if the infected person has another abnormal condition. I may be wrong, but tbh, I don't even want to delve into that stuff too much. I just wanted to say I hate this BS, if it's actually true. It's as if the pandemic itself was not enough.

(all numbers are from worldometers.info)

Edited by Alderriz