COVID-19 Megathread

Mesopithecus

I’m blessed and proud to live in Canada. Trudeau has been giving updates everyday and following closely the advice of leading medical experts. He’s spent almost 200 billion now on financial aid to businesses and people who got laid off. I know people up here are starting to get lazier with the social distancing but it’s been a lot worse in other countries.

Our neighbours to the south though, it’s a different story. I just hope we keep that border closed for a while. While I appreciate the Trump bashing on this thread, and know many Americans dislike him, my honest guess is he’ll just win again. I don’t even care about criticism about the electoral college - enough of your country men and women voted and supported him, and still do. That country’s political polarization is extreme and even if half the country died, he’d probably still get re-elected. I have zero faith in the US to rebound from this, sadly, and if you’re an American who feels the same way, it’s time to give up your Stars and Stripes and emigrate when/if you get the chance.

7 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

I have zero faith in the US to rebound from this, sadly, and if you’re an American who feels the same way, it’s time to give up your Stars and Stripes and emigrate when/if you get the chance.

That's possibly one of the most extreme viewpoints I've seen in this thread. US will never rebound so abandon the country and your citizenship.

13 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

That's possibly one of the most extreme viewpoints I've seen in this thread. US will never rebound so abandon the country and your citizenship.

I don’t think it’s that extreme. I met many Americans up here doing that exact thing when Bush was in power. Of course the point I see is this, it is Americans’ problem to fix and they need to. But I feel sorry for, you know, the many Americans whose only option is death because they can’t afford healthcare or have a governor and President who thinks the economy is more important than saving lives. That’s extreme to me, and trying to walk away from all of that, wouldn’t blame them. 

On 5/11/2020 at 0:36 AM, Jelly Soup said:

Things aren't getting any better, but you wouldn't know that just from shopping around here. Practically no one is wearing face protection anymore or even bothering with social distancing. To the point that I was getting strange looks for having my mask on while getting bottled water.

Eh, in my city, in GA, I'd say 90% of the people shopping had masks on. It does piss me off seeing parents taking their kids around the store without either of them wearing one, especially with this new illness going around that has been affecting children. I will say this, the Covid situation has been good for me. Online classes, unemployment pays more than my job, I'm not wasting money on gas or MARTA. But the one con is having a shitty governor. Hopefully can get rid of him in 2022, unless he rigs the election again. :-/

8 hours ago, DaivRules said:

When your elected leaders are straight up saying "Some of you may die, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make", I wouldn't blame anyone for doing what they need to do to save the lives of themselves and their family.

Although the idea of Americans fleeing their failed state en-masse and becoming the source of the biggest refugee crisis in history is hilarious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

When your elected leaders are straight up saying "Some of you may die, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make", I wouldn't blame anyone for doing what they need to do to save the lives of themselves and their family.

Yes, but for the (thankfully) overwhelming majority of us, the result isn’t us saying “Sounds good! Heading out and willing to be that sacrifice because some “elected leaders” said some inane dribble!”

Instead, we take the reasonable precautions we  need to and avoid being those sacrifices. That doesn’t mean flee the country. Everyone in the country isn’t under risk of imminent death if they don’t take drastic action immediately. States are in control of what happens in those states and the citizens largely are being very cautious regardless of which politician wants businesses to do whatever. Most businesses are taking things very seriously. 

I don’t know why some people place so much judgment on some sound bites supposedly representing the views and actions of 300+ million people. 

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

I don’t know why some people place so much judgment on some sound bites supposedly representing the views and actions of 300+ million people. 

Trying to mitigate the Trump administration to “sounds bites” really negates the damage he’s done to the world and America’s reputation.

You know what he did to Canada? He stopped a company from shipping healthcare protective equipment to our country. He turned trucks from the border. Even though we are the country that supplies him with pulp to make them.

He affects not only you but the rest of the world. 

12 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Trying to mitigate the Trump administration to “sounds bites” really negates the damage he’s done to the world and America’s reputation.

You know what he did to Canada? He stopped a company from shipping healthcare protective equipment to our country. He turned trucks from the border. Even though we are the country that supplies him with pulp to make them.

He affects not only you but the rest of the world. 

Your misinterpreting my message that everyone in the country doesn’t agree with him. 

23 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Hopefully enough of them that he doesn’t get re-elected....

What province you from?

Here in Manitoba it is scary seeing people walking around as if the last 2 months didn't happen.

I see so few people wearing masks anywhere.

I mean we have had very few cases/deaths but that doesn't mean we can get lazy about it.

1 minute ago, Dr_Mayus said:

What province you from?

Here in Manitoba it is scary seeing people walking around as if the last 2 months didn't happen.

I see so few people wearing masks anywhere.

I mean we have had very few cases/deaths but that doesn't mean we can get lazy about it.

Ontario - people getting lazier in my neighbourhood too and we have more to be worried about unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Ontario - people getting lazier in my neighbourhood too and we have more to be worried about unfortunately. 

Yeah, depending on where you are you guys got hit really hard :( My sister lives near Ottawa (in Quebec though) and I get updates from her about the stupid stuff their premier is doing.

I mean the fact that Quebec is opening schools and even Manitoba isn't doing that (and we only had 289 total cases with 7 deaths)

This thread makes me even happier to be at the bottom of the world. Life is slowly starting to return to normal here in Australia. Only have a couple of new cases (in only 2 states) even after reopening schools and pubs so that’s awesome. We’re still under 100 deaths which is great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Feral said:

This thread makes me even happier to be at the bottom of the world. Life is slowly starting to return to normal here in Australia. Only have a couple of new cases (in only 2 states) even after reopening schools and pubs so that’s awesome. We’re still under 100 deaths which is great.

Well that is good to hear :)

How are the fires? Is that under control? COVID kind of took those off the news.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Well that is good to hear :)

How are the fires? Is that under control? COVID kind of took those off the news.

Yeah :)

Fortunately they're all out so we're good on that front. The back burning for next season has already begun around my area and I'd say it'll be on everywhere soon. Of course the clean up will take a bit more time especially now (cheers COVID, you bastard lol). Yeah it just steals all the news.

11 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Yeah, depending on where you are you guys got hit really hard :( My sister lives near Ottawa (in Quebec though) and I get updates from her about the stupid stuff their premier is doing.

I mean the fact that Quebec is opening schools and even Manitoba isn't doing that (and we only had 289 total cases with 7 deaths)

Yeah it’s absolutely crazy. Have family in PEI and they only had a few cases and still most things are shut down and they’re doing the opening gradually. Really worried about Quebec...

9 hours ago, Feral said:

Yeah :)

Fortunately they're all out so we're good on that front. The back burning for next season has already begun around my area and I'd say it'll be on everywhere soon. Of course the clean up will take a bit more time especially now (cheers COVID, you bastard lol). Yeah it just steals all the news.

Well that is good. Hopefully Australia has some good news for the rest of 2020

9 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Yeah it’s absolutely crazy. Have family in PEI and they only had a few cases and still most things are shut down and they’re doing the opening gradually. Really worried about Quebec...

I dont even get opening school in late May. I mean if it was march then maybe, but the school year is basically over just open in September

Also here is a song for both of you :)

It is an Ontario band playing Thunderstruck in Australia

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I dont even get opening school in late May. I mean if it was march then maybe, but the school year is basically over just open in September

15 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Yeah :) Fingers crossed, we're bloody earned some goodness.

That's an awesome cover, chick has a mad voice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Feral said:

Yeah :) Fingers crossed, we're bloody earned some goodness.

That's an awesome cover, chick has a mad voice.

Yeah, Sarah is amazing. I have seen them live once, was supposed to see them again next month but that was postponed ☹. They are a great band and for gaming news they wrote and performed the newest pokemon theme song.

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 7:29 PM, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

GTA V is a seven year old game that is still grossing more than huge games in their release month. Rockstar may never make another game again!

Rockstar could probably keep going off GTA V alone if they just remastered it for every new platform and kept creating new DLC. It's a safe bet that PS5 (and PS6) will get their versions of it.

23 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

There was a sign about social distancing, but they apparently thought it was just a suggestion. My state is full of damned fools. 

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2020/05/24/lake-ozarks-memorial-day-weekend-pool-party-video-missouri-coronavirus/5252616002/

They're so silly... this is no time for mass gatherings. Restaurants being open is fine with me, though at this time I wouldn't dream of eating on location. I'll do takeout or Doordash only.

Now there's Trump saying "reopen all the churches". No way. Churches are a mass gathering also , and therefore a potential C19 spread risk. If someone goes to Mass every week, that don't impress me much... what counts much more is if they abide by the universal Golden Rule, "Treat others as you would like others to treat you".

8 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Rockstar could probably keep going off GTA V alone if they just remastered it for every new platform and kept creating new DLC. It's a safe bet that PS5 (and PS6) will get their versions of it.

They're so silly... this is no time for mass gatherings. Restaurants being open is fine with me, though at this time I wouldn't dream of eating on location. I'll do takeout or Doordash only.

Now there's Trump saying "reopen all the churches". No way. Churches are a mass gathering also , and therefore a potential C19 spread risk. If someone goes to Mass every week, that don't impress me much... what counts much more is if they abide by the universal Golden Rule, "Treat others as you would like others to treat you".

Fortunately my church is just sticking to zoom services, with no intent on pressuring the government to reopen anytime soon. That’s in Canada though. 

• Like 2