COVID-19 Megathread

Mesopithecus

1 minute ago, Spaz said:

I mostly agree, but New Zealand managed to go through this pandemic with minimal loss. 

Here in the United States, the death toll is steadily climbing. I foolishly thought we were going to see improvement last summer, but too many people just went out and made physical contact in close proximity, without any masks. 

Donald Trump has helped lead an era and generation of morons, who disregard history and fail to see potential risks. I shouldn’t even have to hear people refusing to get vaccines for their kids, but because of some idiotic belief of theirs this is why this pandemic has continued. 

While I know this is affecting us worldwide, I can’t think of another 1st world country that has shown as much stupidity and ignorance as the USA.

Yeah we just got lucky here in Australia, Huge country and tiny population. Europe and the U.S has it much harder by default though so did China and S.E Asia and they seem ok. I honestly don't like talking about Trump as I feel that I don't have the right to since I am not American. But his insanity has affected ally nations with or without Covid.

48 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

Yeah we just got lucky here in Australia, Huge country and tiny population. Europe and the U.S has it much harder by default though so did China and S.E Asia and they seem ok. I honestly don't like talking about Trump as I feel that I don't have the right to since I am not American. But his insanity has affected ally nations with or without Covid.

I don't want to mention Trump any more than I have to because we're all tired of him... even the supporters.

My family HAD to cancel Thanksgiving this year because one or two of them might of been exposed. We're not entirely sure, but the cancellation is definite. There is nothing until Christmas, and should we hear more things about COVID-19 then we will cancel that as well.

Too many idiots who didn't do what they were told. I just want it all to end already.

Edited by Spaz

Pfizer is applying for an EUA on their vaccine today. More recent figures say their vaccine also is 95% effective like Moderna's, so you can't go wrong with either one. Moderna could file for an EUA on the 25th. It's expected that M&P together can get about 50-60 million doses of their vaccines available by the end of 2020, and at least 2 billion by the end of 2021. Moderna's vaccine will be stable under normal refrigeration, while Pfizer's needs to be kept supercold, at about -70 C (-94 F).

I am trying to keep mention of Trump to a minimum, but I will say I'm happy that Trump lost... on the other hand, I am sad to know that the USA has 73.6M people foolish enough to vote for him. I wish Trump would just suck it up and admit defeat. At least soon there won't be a bigoted, misogynist, irresponsible, bridge burning, uncouth "gutter trash" lout in office.

*sigh* What do we do about all these idiots who won't wear a mask? A harder approach needs to be taken. If Biden wants to go for a national mask mandate, I'm all for that. Unfortunately, it's pretty certain that it would be challenged in court. Business owners should tell anyone who won't wear a mask to get off the premises, and if that person refuses, report them for trespassing. Schools should require mandatory vaccination for in-person classes. Perhaps employers should offer some sort of incentive to their staffs to get vaccinated.

This pandemic better end soon. I am so tired of it.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

13 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Well at this stage if we don't get a vaccine soon the U.S and Europe better stop thinking about economy.

Our province just got the warning that the premier isn't afraid to shut down the economy. Ironic seeing how we've had more suicide deaths directly related to lockdowns, than covid deaths.

Edited by VigilantCrow

On 11/5/2020 at 10:36 PM, Kittet3 said:

Covid is making school, like, a million times more stressful for everyone involved over here.

Parents almost in tears because their child is going to fail their literal senior year since they refuse to show up to class. Teachers in literal tears because admin won't let us fail students without a boatload of documentation per student. Students missing lectures because they are making sure their younger siblings are paying attention to their school. Had a parent called me from the hospital after their child got covid.

Virtual school sucks but I also don't want to die so it's a rock and a hard place.

I am sorry that really sucks :( I know my nieces are both doing virtual school and they put on a brave face but they have also admitted to really missing their friends.

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

I mostly agree, but New Zealand managed to go through this pandemic with minimal loss. 

Here in the United States, the death toll is steadily climbing. I foolishly thought we were going to see improvement last summer, but too many people just went out and made physical contact in close proximity, without any masks. 

Donald Trump has helped lead an era and generation of morons, who disregard history and fail to see potential risks. I shouldn’t even have to hear people refusing to get vaccines for their kids, but because of some idiotic belief of theirs this is why this pandemic has continued. 

While I know this is affecting us worldwide, I can’t think of another 1st world country that has shown as much stupidity and ignorance as the USA.

My province was at 0 cases but people got lazy and now we are averaging around 500 cases a day (we only have around a million in the province) and we are in a second lock down...that people still aren't really taking seriously.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I am sorry that really sucks :( I know my nieces are both doing virtual school and they put on a brave face but they have also admitted to really missing their friends.

My 8 year old niece hasn’t seen her friends since February - March. My little nephew will be starting school early next year, but like your nieces he will be doing online courses. 

Things have sure changed a lot since I was their age.

7 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

My province was at 0 cases but people got lazy and now we are averaging around 500 cases a day (we only have around a million in the province) and we are in a second lock down...that people still aren't really taking seriously.

Definitely not limited to the States as Canada and the UK both have morons who cannot see the potential risks. 

They can stay home and save lives, or risk having others killed because their bodies couldn’t fight COVID-19.

This alone makes 2020 the worst year in my 32 years of existence. How foolish of me to think things would get better by last summer.

Edited by Spaz

I was also foolish to think that things would be better by last summer, "ok, it actually was quite better" but we all should've expected a second infection wave, just as in Europe.

Hopefully, next year everything will be better, or perhaps back to at least 70% of what we called normality.

Here where I like we haven't had any lookdown for a while. In south America it simply not worth, we had to take more risk because of the bunch of citizens that were starving because of the lack of a job. 

I was pretty exited by the vaccine at first, but I don't know what I should think by now.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

My 8 year old niece hasn’t seen her friends since February - March. My little nephew will be starting school early next year, but like your nieces he will be doing online courses. 

Things have sure changed a lot since I was their age.

Definitely not limited to the States as Canada and the UK both have morons who cannot see the potential risks. 

They can stay home and save lives, or risk having others killed because their bodies couldn’t fight COVID-19.

This alone makes 2020 the worst year in my 32 years of existence. How foolish of me to think things would get better by last summer.

There is a town about 30 minutes south of my city that had a big anti-mask rally...they now have a COVID outbreak there :( 

The RCMP were issuing fines to anyone that attended but doesn't do much good.

• 3 weeks later...

It's going to be interesting to compare how the US/UK vs. Russia vaccines go. One rushed to market with safety concerns and political motivations, the other from Western pharma giants with all the limiters taken off. I've had enough medical people feel confident about the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines that I feel confident in them, but I haven't heard anything about the Sputnik vaccine. I really hope theirs goes well.

The Pfizer and Moderna ones will take 2 doses given 3 weeks apart for full immunity. I just hope people will still be careful and remember that the vaccine isn't going to poleax this thing right away.

I think the FDA should stop being a "Foot Dragging Administration" and give EUAs to Pfizer and Moderna. Isn't C19 enough of an emergency for that?

15 hours ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

rushed to market with safety concerns and political motivations

Yeah, it was definitely registered too early. 

15 hours ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

but I haven't heard anything about the Sputnik vaccine

The phase 3 trials have been going since September. If what I just read is correct, Sputnik V has been tested on 40k+ people from 10+ countries and showed 92% efficiency. So, once again, if this is correct, then it doesn't sound too bad. Also, several countries have ordered this vaccine already.

On 12/9/2020 at 1:06 AM, Z1MZUM said:

Pfizer needs to do a good will gesture after addicting half of the States with opioids.

I believe you're thinking of Purdue, the bankrupt makers of Oxycontin who are currently settling for $8.3 billion for pushing opioids and hiding their dangers for decades. I'm sure Pfizer has their own problems as a big pharma company, but I'm not sure opioids are among them.

3 hours ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

I believe you're thinking of Purdue, the bankrupt makers of Oxycontin who are currently settling for $8.3 billion for pushing opioids and hiding their dangers for decades. I'm sure Pfizer has their own problems as a big pharma company, but I'm not sure opioids are among them.

Pfizer is in knee deep, and that's being generous.

3 hours ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

Actually Pfizer did indeed pay fines for fraud regarding painkillers, but not opiods.  The drug in question was Bextra.  That's likely where the mixup is because not all painkillers are opioids, but the issues Bextra had were far more serious because it's very likely to have caused many deaths before it was taken off the market considering the side effects that resulted in it being taken off the market were increased risk for heart attack and stroke.  It was a pretty hefty 2.3 billion dollar fine as well and one of the largest, if not still the largest criminal fine ever given out. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pfizer-settlement-idUSTRE5813XB20090902

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Actually Pfizer did indeed pay fines for fraud regarding painkillers, but not opiods.  The drug in question was Bextra.  That's likely where the mixup is because not all painkillers are opioids, but the issues Bextra had were far more serious because it's very likely to have caused many deaths before it was taken off the market considering the side effects that resulted in it being taken off the market were increased risk for heart attack and stroke.  It was a pretty hefty 2.3 billion dollar fine as well and one of the largest, if not still the largest criminal fine ever given out. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pfizer-settlement-idUSTRE5813XB20090902

Don't forget the opioids

Bextra is a COX-2 selective NSAID, like Vioxx (Merck, also taken off the market) or Celebrex (another one from Pfizer). Not only were there cardiac issues with Bextra, but also a risk of a rare but serious skin reaction. The FDA said it hadn't been shown to offer any real advantage over any other NSAID. Celebrex is still available but there's a black box warning on it about the CV risk.

On 12/12/2020 at 8:38 AM, RadiantFlamberge said:

Bextra is a COX-2 selective NSAID, like Vioxx (Merck, also taken off the market) or Celebrex (another one from Pfizer). Not only were there cardiac issues with Bextra, but also a risk of a rare but serious skin reaction. The FDA said it hadn't been shown to offer any real advantage over any other NSAID. Celebrex is still available but there's a black box warning on it about the CV risk.

I take Celebrex every other day.

Hey how's the vaccinations going up there? It's December the 15th and we're still globally fuct.

A nurse in New York had favorable comments about receiving the Pfizer vaccine. She said it felt no different from getting the annual flu shot. Sounds safe enough... now they need to start rolling out more doses. If only there were some global approval system for vaccines, so that Pfizer's international branches could get production and distribution going.

Any governments around the world that are shilly-shallying about it really should stop, and grant an EUA to the Pfizer vaccine. If USA and Mexico's medical authorities have confidence in it after the promise it has shown, so should others.

Tom Cruise did not mince words with the crew behind Mission: Impossible 7 when they breached C19 safety protocols. And frankly, I do not think he overreacted. Back in October, filming in Italy had to stop for a week in October due to 12 people testing positive.

Tom Cruise said:

“They’re back there in Hollywood making movies right now because of us. Because they believe in us and what we’re doing,”

“I’m on the phone with every fucking studio at night, insurance companies, producers and they’re looking at us and using us to make their movies. We are creating thousands of jobs, you motherfuckers. I don’t ever want to see it again. Ever!”

? Thumbs up to Tom. I know it may sound harsh, but hopefully this serves as a wake up call for them. They fucking needed one.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
  • Like 2

I don’t really have to say much about this subject and this post doesn’t offer much but I just wanted to say that my county (in south east England) went into tier 3 for the first time today and now we are going into tier 4 tomorrow.

My 2019 wish of cutting down gaming definitely didn’t happen, I have 10 PS4 games for Christmas between me and my family so regardless of what happens hopefully life by 2022 will be better, yes that sounds cheesy but whatever ?.

Don’t get me wrong I’m definitely enjoying life still and luckily I have a small but good network of people I talk to within my household and my PSN friends list (none of them are randoms).