COVID-19 Megathread

Mesopithecus

On 18.3.2020 at 9:37 PM, Lava_Yuki said:

I really hope a treatment and vaccine comes soon, or this will only get worse

I read today that the Chinese discovered that this medicine is helping against COVID-19.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favipiravir

They said, that people with COVID-19 got tested negative after four days after they received this medicine.

The downside is, that it does not have an approval in Europe (yet).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

I read today that the Chinese discovered that this medicine is helping against COVID-19.

They said, that people with COVID-19 got tested negative after four days after they received this medicine.

i question how quickly theyll be allowed to mass produce/send it out to patients. If the virus was quickly controlled... and isolated. But since its out of control, they almost have to rush cures out once they work. Instead of taking extra time developing it and getting approval etc.

Here is the link for the information concerning the California "stay at home" order

https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except-for-essential-needs/

From the link:

How long will we stay home?

This goes into effect on Thursday, March 19, 2020. The order is in place until further notice.

What can I do? What’s open?

Essential services will remain open such as:

• Gas stations
  • Pharmacies 
  • Food: Grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks, convenience stores, take-out and delivery restaurants 
  • Banks
  • Laundromats/laundry services

Essential state and local government functions will also remain open, including law enforcement and offices that provide government programs and services.

What’s closed?

• Dine-in restaurants
  • Bars and nightclubs
  • Entertainment venues
  • Gyms and fitness studios
  • Public events and gatherings
  • Convention Centers

Where does this apply?

This is in effect throughout the State of California.

Full executive order: https://covid19.ca.gov/img/N-33-20.pdf

• Like 2

On 3/18/2020 at 4:37 PM, Lava_Yuki said:

I really hope a treatment and vaccine comes soon, or this will only get worse

I hope so too... and that supplies will be sufficient as well. At least there are Janssen, Moderna, Novavax, Inovio, CureVac, and others taking a shot at getting COVID-19 vaccines out there. Inovio are getting ready to start USA trials in April, and aim to have 1.000.000 doses of INO-4800 set to go by the end of the year. Moderna have launched a human study of their MRNA-1273 just a few days ago.

The more companies working on a vaccine and/or treatment, the better. I truly hope the prices are kept within reasonable bounds.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2020 at 8:57 PM, damon8r351 said:

When you wash your hands (and you better be washing your hands, with actual soap), hum the song "Happy Birthday" to yourself twice. That's the minimum length of time you're supposed to be washing them. 20 seconds is a lot longer than you think it is. MMO players will know what I'm talking about.

Better song suggestion: The first verse of "I Wanna Be Sedated."

Came across that tip somewhere on the interwebs and that's what I sing (in my head) every time I wash my hands.

Ya know I've noticed two things in the last few days.  Where I live (Ohio) there's more of a Hey social distance is good folks, don't make us make you observe it, kind of vibe.  Our case count here is still kind of low compared to other states or even countries with similar populations though, so I'm sure that will change in the coming weeks.  BUT, I digress 

The first thing I've noticed is that, on the topic of gaming, how much the industry depends on bleak and depressing plot lines in it's content.  I'm not trying to cut myself off from news entirely, but I'm working from home.  As such, I do play more games during the day.  Recently I wanted to take my mind off the news cycle, and as I flipped through my backlog of some 500 titles, I was amazed to find most of them had some end of the world plot line to them.

I'm not saying this trope isn't ages old ( I wouldn't call something like Dragon Age Inquisition in the same bleak context as something like Zombi or Darksiders) but I did notice a lot of games eschew happier or more playful tones and it makes it hard to find escapism in a time where I'd like to not think about the age old tale of " the fall of man" or the "the end of days".  I hope that makes sense.

Also, not on the gaming topic, I think there is some crappy, click baity titles in the news right now.  I'm not saying people are overreacting ( I'd rather see the government overreact a little then underreact) but that the way news titles are written is contributing to the fear and anxiety people are facing in an unhelpful manner.

An example would be CNN earlier reported that Spain had seen 5000 new cases in 24 hours.  Now, I know this means they got 5000 positive test results in the last 24 hours, but a lot of people will see that headline and run with it, assuming that it spread to 5000 people in 24 hours.  The former sounds standard when systems world wide are backed up, while the latter sounds terrifying.  I'm not trying to say that journalists are objectively evil or malicious or even stupid.  I'm saying that explaining things in a precise manner is important, and if you read a super scary headline, it's important to keep a level head and read the article because that opening line is meant to get you to read the whole thing.  I hope that makes sense too, it feels a bit rambly.

Considering the fact of still selling videogames, like GameStop, it is not something essential of course, but on the other side it actually motivates people to stay home.

Here where I leave we started quarantine and all places for tourism were closed, I think every country's gouverment in the world must have done the same. We can only leave for buying food and many restaurants are still open buy ONLY to take food with you, eating there is not allowed. I actually think we should have taken those precautions earlier and not now when we have around 200 cases in the country. We can also leave to walk oour pets, but it shall not last longer than 20 min and only ONE person can do it. The same applies for going to the supermarkerts and other stuffs. 

Many companies involving essential services had to ask for special permission to let their workers move through the cities and country, but of course, only for that.

However, we should also see how thinks change for good on the planet. Air- and noise pollution are at its minimun by now, so it is with criminality and similar thinks. If we take the precautions, we'll be probably starting to go back to normality in 2 or 3 weeks, but the virus will still exist. 

@willythom88

What I personally dread is how the media is going to cover everything this terrible government did and is doing (Spain).

25,000 thousand positives and 40% of them in Madrid (at day 1 of state alarm it was more than 50%) the sudden surge started here (Madrid) and the government allowed a MASSIVE 8-M manifestation plus other additional manifestations, while there were confirmed positives on Madrid, three days later, they close all educative practices and people flew to their homes outside Madrid (students) or vacation houses, etc.. This is of course people’s fault, but they should have closed Madrid borders.

Now we have cases everywhere, and dont be foolish, the virus spreads at lightning speed, it’s really hard to contain, so stay at home as much as you can. 

It’s been 8 days in home now, and cases keep going up (supposedly the cases from now on should have been contracted after the alarm declaration). The decree is similar to the Californian one, but believe it or not, hair salons were allowed too (and optical stores).

You can only go outside to walk your dog, take out the trash, to buy food, etc..

It seems funny at first, people relies on memes and social media,   but we will see how it goes since its probably gonna be 3-4 weeks or more. It’s very important to keep moving and exercise as much as you can because 3-4 weeks without doing barely anything is no joke to health, specially since when this is over and you can go outside again, your body will be more vulnerable to get the virus if you stayed at home doing nothing and eating trash.

36 minutes ago, BlackTorito said:

It’s been 8 days in home now, and cases keep going up (supposedly the cases from now on should have been contracted after the alarm declaration). The decree is similar to the Californian one, but believe it or not, hair salons were allowed too (and optical stores).

Even if people stay at home the cases will continue to increase for I while, so is it in Italy. The main reason for that is, when you open the statistics there is an amount of CONFIRMED cases, but behind that there are for sure a lot more that were probably related to it and will start experiencing sinptoms later. And of course, there are many others getting infected somewhere else. So, staying home will not show its results for a while, it's like starting a treatment with medicines, the effect might be shown after few or several days.

If we stay home we will definetely contain the spread of the virus, and that's the main reason why I considere that it should be mandatory from now  everywhere until we gradually reach the peak of the infection curve, like in China and South Korea. So that's it, for example, I don't remember where I read that in Italy there are by now around 53.000 cases confirmed but they estimate, the total amount of them is rounding the 100.000; on the basis of that we are just expecting that the remaning cases get identify and thus take the necessary precautions with them. 

Edited by BlackSnake1435
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BlackSnake1435 said:

Even if people stay at home the cases will continue to increase for I while, so is it in Italy. The main reason for that is, when you open the statistics there is an amount of CONFIRMED cases, but behind that there are for sure a lot more that were probably related to it and will start experiencing sinptoms later. And of course, there are many others getting infected somewhere else. So, staying home will not show its results for a while, it's like starting a treatment with medicines, the effect might be shown after few or several days.

If we stay home we will definetely contain the spread of the virus, and that's the main reason why I considere that it should be mandatory from now  everywhere until we gradually reach the peak of the infection curve, like in China and South Korea. So that's it, for example, I don't remember where I read that in Italy there are by now around 53.000 cases confirmed but they estimate, the total amount of them is rounding the 100.000; on the basis of that we are just expecting that the remaning cases get identify and thus take the necessary precautions with them. 

Well yeah I know that, what I mean is that the spreading curve should be decreasing by now.

But honestly, the measures are not enough, there is still a lot of people going to work at risk, and medical personnel (without proper protection for the first week by the way) is getting the virus by their exhaustion and exposure (12% of cases and going up) which means the sanitary system will collapse anyway.

This explains why in Italy, even being 11 days older than the Spain upsurge, is going out of control (I think is even worse than China now).

On 20/03/2020 at 1:12 AM, Neputyunu said:

Yeah I heard, Japan and China seem to have gotten some control over the situation, while Europe has gone haywire now. India are apparently using a triple cocktail of anti-flu, antimalarials and antiretrovirals to treat it. I hope they get it approved in Europe, since they're just managing symptoms and isolating here. I think treatment is the key, or cases will just keep increasing

WELL HERE WE GO.

My state (Ohio) governor just ordered a stay at home order going into effect Monday night at 11:59 p.m. until April 6. Even though I've been self isolating for 4 days now my mother has been continuing to go to work. However, I believe she may be 'essential personnel' or whatever the official title is because she works for a nursing home facility and I haven't heard anything about these being any different.

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200322/coronavirus-ohio-issues-stay-at-home-order-only-essential-businesses-and-day-cares-at-6-children-per-room

How many states does this make? I know California & New York are doing it. Any other state(s)?

GOOD

GOD

I feel like this fits somehow with everything going on... maybe just me though... you can post your own if you want obviously. lol.

This damned COVID-19 really needs to go fuck itself and burn in the lowest circle of hell.

The national governments need to just take the Chinese doctors' word about Avigan (favipiravir) if they are swearing by it. It seems like China is getting this thing under control. Get the infected people on that stuff, even if it's not approved by the nation's particular FDA. It's worth a shot.

28 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

How many states does this make? I know California & New York are doing it. Any other states?

New Jersey, Louisiana, Illinois, Connecticut, Oregon - plus there are other cities/counties within different states that are applying a stay-at-home order

This was taken from USA today:

• Philadelphia became the latest city to order its residents to stay home, a mandate that goes into effect at 8 a.m. Monday and exempts activities like buying groceries and medicine, seeking medical care and exercising.
  • Missouri's two largest cities issued stay-at-home orders Saturday. St. Louis' mandate, which also applies to St. Louis County, begins Monday, and the one for Kansas City and its metro area goes into effect Tuesday.
  • New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell directed residents to stay at home beginning Friday.
  • San Miguel County, Colorado, is under a shelter-in-place order until April 3.
  • Athens-Clarke County, Georgia, is under a shelter-in-place order until April 7.
  • Blaine County, Idaho, is under a shelter-in-place order.

Pennsylvania has also closed non-essential businesses

My lovely country has just made many people unemployed. Mind you, it's same guvunmunt that blackmailed me into another 14 days quarantine after completing the Japanese quarantine which was allot more thorough then the prison we had been sent to.

New Zealand's getting to that point, on Wednesday, the self quarantine/isolation thing is suppose to be going into effect.  Though essential things will stay open like supermarkets, pharmacies and the likes (hopefully the vets too, though I imagine that's a given because of pets).

Not sure how long that's suppose to be lasting though.

2 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

New Zealand's getting to that point, on Wednesday, the self quarantine/isolation thing is suppose to be going into effect.  Though essential things will stay open like supermarkets, pharmacies and the likes (hopefully the vets too, though I imagine that's a given because of pets).

Not sure how long that's suppose to be lasting though.

4 weeks though some areas could potentially come out of lockdown earlier.

Vets are an essential service.

The lockdown will be enforced by the police if necessary

1 minute ago, FilmFanatic said:

4 weeks though some areas could potentially come out of lockdown earlier.

Vets are an essential service.

The lockdown will be enforced by the police if necessary

Yeah, heard about the lockdown being enforced if need be, saying something about the military.  Not sure what it was exactly, but they might be bought in if need be.

And yeah, vets I was curious about cause of the cats we have... and we recently found 2 kittens, so got to make sure they stay healthy (had to take one to the vet today cause of a fever or something like that).

UK is rushing through emergency legislation that will restrict travel, give police and health workers powers to detain suspected infected, while making it easier for doctors to section people under the mental health act among other things. This legislation will last for two years. A proper lockdown is being considered and might be in place within 24 hours. 

Updated state list with stay-at-home orders:

California

Connecticut

Delaware

Illinois

Indiana

Louisiana

Massachusetts 

Michigan

New Jersey

New York

Ohio

West Virginia

I believe that Boris Johnson is making a public address later this evening in the UK to discuss a potential full lockdown

Edited by Mesopithecus
  • Like 1