COVID-19 Megathread

Mesopithecus

I wish people would listen. Country on the brink of lockdown because they've treated a pandemic as a holiday. Some of the towns in Wales where I'm from have apparently been plagued with people going on days out because the sun came out for 5 minutes. Literally making the situation worse for 5 minutes of sun.

People lining up to climb Snowdon because they think they're on holiday. It's mad times at the minute and people just need to take this seriously.

Edited by ImmortalFox-

16 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

LA is the same, people are browsing paint at my store and one guy came in threw up on himself and walked around shopping didnt clean himself.

Everyone is "bored" yet if I had my way id be home and make sure in not getting me or anyone else sick.

I can imagine somewhere like LA where people just going out and about without a care honestly. I've never been and I can't tell what people are like but I can just imagine people not taking it seriously there.

I think it's because in the whole of the UK, Wales was one of the last places to get hit, numbers weren't going up rapidly like they are now so people want to spend days out here. I mean for the most part we're mainly just countryside and I can see the appeal without being biased but I think people just have that "it won't ever happen to me" attitude.

Edited by ImmortalFox-
  • Like 1

Surprised Washington hasn't considered a lockdown in the state, considering it was in the spotlight for awhile as the state with the most cases. Governor apparently said, "Nope, don't need to."

In other news, military has shut down all sorts of stuff, but then won't bat an eyelash about stuffing 350 people into a 767, because we still apparently need to exert American hegemony over the rest of the world even in the midst of one bitchin' pandemic. And what I mean by that is that the military has given commanding officers broad authority over waiving restrictions in order to meet deployment schedules. They can just decide that they know better than the CDC and the WHO, tell 350 to gather at once in a tiny airlift terminal, then stuff themselves into a 767, social distancing be damned. So people are having to leave families in the middle of this to sit on their ass in the Middle East or the East Pacific, and the military's all, "ThIs Is WhAt YoU rAiSeD yOuR hAnD fOr, LmAo!" If you think you feel powerless now, wait till you get sent overseas with your thumb up your ass, while you're getting daily emails from your family about things that getting fucked up at home that you can't help fix. That's baseline normality. Now add a pandemic on top of that.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NekoRave said:

Party time guys

I find it amusing that the creator of that last video makes it a point to bring attention to how dumb people are, while in the splash screen of the same video he uses the image of a tardigrade in what is apparently a representation of COVID-19 laughing at us. Tardigrades can't laugh in "virus", because they aren't viruses, or even bacteria. Tardigrades are microscopic multicellular animals notable because they can survive just about anywhere, including space.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

it's an interesting conundrum we now face...some experts claim that in many places, like here in canada, that it is already too late...isolation will likely not prevent the spread of covid only dissolve its peak time and duration...meaning we could be at this (anti)social distancing shutdown thing for months...statistics are all over the place from sub %1 to plus %10 mortality rate without really knowing why some communities are more affected than others...testing is slow and limited so it's not really known how many people are actually infected...one thing that seems concrete is that no one has shown any signs of immunity yet (aside from those who have gotten it)...

and the big question seems to be do we risk a major economic crash that will affect %99 of us for what might be months/years/generations to come to save a small % of the population who will likely be considered high risk for the rest of their lives anyhow or de we say "fuck it" and just get if over with and let the casualties be as they may but avoid a potential worldwide depression?...if the government does nothing and 2000 people die, it will be their fault...if they take full precaution and the same 2000 people die, then it's all good...i have no answers and am not even sure where I stand on this...only wonder and curiosity as to what the future may bring...

thought I'd drop this article while I was at it...might be related, might not...bats are kinda interesting...https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200210144854.htm

• Like 1

Today our governor closed schools for the remainder of the academic year. Our son was crushed: He enjoys school, he misses his friends and teacher, he's worried about falling behind... He's only seven, so it's not like he's missing graduation or anything like that, but it hit him hard. Our daughter misses her preschool best friend.

Meanwhile, us parents get to figure out how to occupy our kids' time and minds for several months. My job still requires me to go into work (teleworking really isn't an option in my field). We have no family that lives within 800 miles of us. We'll be leaning heavily on neighbors who are in similar boats. My wife and I are very fortunate to have secure jobs that provide us some flexibility with adjusting our schedules, but this is still going to be tough.

Fun times.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf

I'm not a us-citizen, neither live there. But I think the stay-at home order should apply immidiately for all America, because in a few day the situation went out of control and seems to be even worst than in Europe. I guess too many people still don't understand what an exponential increase is, and that the virus spread behaves like that. Many also don't understand than the less it takes for actions to be taken, then lower the infection risk is and the required time for quarantine shall be lower.

I can't believe, that many people keep going to beaches in Florida despite of the current situation. I care for that because I've been in the US and even though I don't have any relationship with any american citizen, the amount of infected in one country is NOT an problem of it, but it concerns all of us. See, it started in China, then started increasing dramatically in Europe, specially in Italy; and most of the cases in Latinamerica so far came from both Spain and Italy. 

Trump decided to forbid the entrance of European to the US for 30 days, but which measures for health care and avoidance of the virus spread have been taken so far. If you ask me, it is time for the order "stay-at-home" to apply for the whole country, or better, for the entire world. If we behave responsibly now, we'll get this over with much faster; if we don't, many others sare gonna get infected, many will die as a result of the lack of medical ressources for such an amount of persons and the quarantine must be extended once again.

Edited by BlackSnake1435
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, BlackSnake1435 said:

I'm not a us-citizen, neither live there. But I think the stay-at home order should apply immidiately for all America, because in a few day the situation went out of control and seems to be even worst than in Europe. I guess too many people still don't understand what an exponential increase is, and that the virus spread behaves like that. Many also don't understand than the less it takes for actions to be taken, then lower the infection risk is and the required time for quarantine shall be lower.

I can't believe, that many people keep going to beaches in Florida despite of the current situation. I care for that because I've been in the US and even though I don't have any relationship with any american citizen, the amount of infected in one country is NOT an problem of it, but it concerns all of uf. See, it started in China, then started increasing dramatically in Europe, specially in Italy; and most of the cases in Latinamerica so far came from both Spain and Italy. 

Trump decided to forbid the entrance of European to the US for 30 days, but which measures for health care and avoidance of the virus spread have been taken so far. If you ask me, it is time for the order "stay-at-home" to apply for the whole country, or better, for the entire world. If we behave responsibly now, we'll get this over with much faster; if we don't, many others sare gonna get infected, many will die as a result of the lack of medical ressources for such an amount of persons and the quarantine must be extended once again.

The problem is Trump is a sociopath that only cares about enriching himself and his family.

The 25th amendment must be enacted to remove him from office as his actions are endangering the world now.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Today our governor closed schools for the remainder of the academic year. Our son was crushed: He enjoys school, he misses his friends and teacher, he's worried about falling behind... He's only seven, so it's not like he's missing graduation or anything like that, but it hit him hard. Our daughter misses her preschool best friend.

Meanwhile, us parents get to figure out how to occupy our kids' time and minds for several months. My job still requires me to go into work (teleworking really isn't an option in my field). We have no family that lives within 800 miles of us. We'll be leaning heavily on neighbors who are in similar boats. My wife and I are very fortunate to have secure jobs that provide us some flexibility with adjusting our schedules, but this is still going to be tough.

Fun times.

Khanacademy.org. They have an app for kids 1st grade and below for learning, but they also have courses for grammar, history, science, civics, economics, and a full range of math courses from kindergarten level counting to college level calculus. I've used the math courses to study for college placement exams and it got me up to speed to be able to take calculus after not having touched any sort of higher math since leaving school 21 years ago. I don't know what the Khan Kids app is like because I'm a 40 year old man with no kids, but it's apparently highly regarded. Also the website is free, all you need to do is make a profile, and if you can get his teacher onboard with it then they can assign them things to do also.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

Ironic that the same sociopathic old people in the US pushing that we need to "reopen" for business are the same ones saying we need to destroy our environment or it will hurt our economy, are also the ones most likely to be killed by COVID-19. Cool, I say fuck 'em. They've been fucking up the planet long enough, so if they're determined to dive headfirst off this mortal coil then who am I to argue?

While I technically agree with you, you're Canadian and you don't get to say that. It's one of those, "I think my kids are brats too but don't you dare call my kids brats."

Anyway, the problem is Trump is a sociopath that only cares about enriching himself and his family. The 25th amendment must be enacted to remove him from office as his actions are endangering the world now.

Very true.

I see it as we are neighbours and we are trying to have a nice get together and Mr. Trump and his spoiled kids keep throwing dog poo over the fence at us.

Also American news filters into our country a lot and there are stupid people here who see Trump and believe him over our own leaders (and not just Trump, any president).

I see he is now pushing for the shutdown to end to go to work. So when he wants a wall he is willing to keep the government closed for months but to avoid spreading a deadly dissease he says "reopen everything".

The dude has got to go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cmgravekeeper said:

Just because your state doesn't have as many confirmed tests, that doesn't mean that the rates aren't much higher. For example New York has the highest number of confirmed cases, but that's because New York is more proactive at testing than other states.

Right that's exactly my point (not in that sentence I was just pointing out at the time our confirmed cases were low).  Since I posted that the tests have come back and our number has jumped quit a bit.  Ohio isn't being quite as proactive but I kind of get it.  The way our governor's looking at it is if you have it, or if you dont, you should be taking the same precautions.  

• Like 1

I stopped paying attention to the confirmed counts in the US for like a day, & now it's jumped up to almost 50K cases (last I checked, I think it was around 24K)? :blink: I knew it was going to jump up after they got access to that new test that confirms if you have the virus in under an hour, but I wasn't expecting it to double that quick... damn.

Also I'm amazed at the idiocy of some of these people that are still going out to large gatherings, parties, etc (i.e. trying to have "fun"). I heard about a gathering of people fairly close to here, & 2 of the people weren't only infected, but bloody symptomatic (& I think there were 20+ people at this thing). :facepalm: That's the scariest thing about this stuff going on, sheer stupidity... it's almost like they want it to spread. <_<

Edited by Masamune
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Very true.

I see it as we are neighbours and we are trying to have a nice get together and Mr. Trump and his spoiled kids keep throwing dog poo over the fence at us.

Also American news filters into our country a lot and there are stupid people here who see Trump and believe him over our own leaders (and not just Trump, any president).

I see he is now pushing for the shutdown to end to go to work. So when he wants a wall he is willing to keep the government closed for months but to avoid spreading a deadly dissease he says "reopen everything".

The dude has got to go.

Well, there's only so much he can really do. It's mainly been the states and cities calling the shots. And they're not going to just lift the restrictions because he says he wants to. And hopefully he does go.

My main focus is trying to keep my family and myself safe and not worry so much about what others do. We can only really control what we do and we're all being careful. And my cat has been a big help as well.

Edited by MidnightDragon

8 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Well, there's only so much he can really do. It's mainly been the states and cities calling the shots. And they're not going to just lift the restrictions because he says he wants to. And hopefully he does go.

My main focus is trying to keep my family and myself safe and not worry so much about what others do. We can only really control what we do and we're all being careful. And my cat has been a big help as well.

But you can't keep your family locked up for ever. If others don't start complying then it doesn't matter how much you keep your family safe.

So we do have to worry about what others do because if something is contagious then it is others that will affect you.

We are months behind where we should be as our leaders were informed about this back in January and chose to do as little as possible. Now we are in crisis mode and people are still acting like it is no big deal.

21 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

But you can't keep your family locked up for ever. If others don't start complying then it doesn't matter how much you keep your family safe.

I know. We do go out, but only for necessary things. And fully aware of the fact our government's response has sucked. I know this will get worse before it gets better. Just wish Washington as a whole (not just the prez) would get their heads out of their asses. They're still too busy playing games.

Edited by MidnightDragon

23 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

I know. We do go out, but only for necessary things. And fully aware of the fact our government's response has sucked. I know this will get worse before it gets better. Just wish Washington as a whole (not just the prez) would get their heads out of their asses. They're still too busy playing games.

Well the problem is they are all seeing this as a way to get what they want.

Republicans want a huge bailout for their companies because it is easy money. And they know democrats won't accept Trump being in charge of 500 billion of bailout money so the Republicans win either way. Either they get the bailout money, make a shit ton of money and can say "they helped during the crisis" OR they don't get the bailout money and they can say "the democrats refused to help the American people when they needed it"

Mitch Mcconnell is truly an evil genius. I mean he will go down as one of the most corrupt and evil men in history...but at least he is really good at being evil and corrupt.

Meanwhile it is the people that suffer.

• Like 3

Well, it's kinda refreshing for me. I mean, I can hear the principal road from my house and it's very soothing to not hear cars from here. But in the other side, it's very weird to think everything stopped now, and it's incredible how a virus can be a thing for us.

I don't know if I can say that but beside of this, I'm pretty impressed how the people of my country are... uncivilized (From France). 

Edited by Astraya_Zhang
  • Like 1

The situation is bad at my country too

We have now a curfew from 7 pm to 6 am !!

which means NO restaurants, supermarkets, pharmacies, or gas stations are open 

and this a bad decision more than a good one since now the supermarkets are crowded because everyone is trying to shop at the same time ...

of course if someone break the rule they’ll have to pay around 2661 dollars, and if they did it again they’ll go to jail for 20 days and pay the double amount