COVID-19 Megathread

Mesopithecus

24 minutes ago, charxsetsuna said:

The UK is due to leave lockdown in two weeks, to say that unlikely is a understatement. Theres been reports of lockdown until June being likely and social distancing for 6 months. So yeah two weeks ain't happening.

Well, Trump wanted the country to reopen by Easter and reality set in. Are you sure he and Boris aren't related? xD 

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Let's try to focus on the positive, the impact this virus will have on our society is already devastating enough... And one can only hope that we, as humans, will take this opportunity and make some positive changes going forward. ? For starters, with so many people not using their cars, with so few planes still flying... At least our environment is getting a well-deserved break from us, and the air has not been this clean in a long time. A small comfort when compared to the tragedies happening, I know, but something positive still.

I agree with you, man!

It's unfortunate that some people might go through an economic crisis, due to losing their job or their business not selling that much. I consider myself a privileged one since I can do all my work from home (I'm an IT Consultant), so during these last days, it's been hard because I'm the kind of person who spends lots of time outside home (go to the gym, boyscouts, hanging with friends at night, dinners...). 

During this last weekend I read a text about time, and it led me to think that for some of us, we will probably never have such a "golden" opportunity so soon in our lives. Now that most of us have "free agendas", we can have time for the things we never had time due to work/school and whatsoever. I can speak for my case, I've taken the opportunity to do some things in my house like creating a digital album of my childhood pictures by scanning them one by one, reorganize my room, reading some new books, learning new recipes. Despite all of the negative impacts, we humans can adapt to any kind of situation with the due time and we will get used to this quarantine sooner than we though! 

Time is still passing though, so I would appeal to anyone to take this opportunity to do (if possible, of course) some things you were planning to do at home.

We are priviliged, guys! If this was 40 years ago, we would be bored as f***! xD  

(Oh, and did I mention than in the times to come, prices of housing may lower due to the crisis? Good for who's thinking to buy a new house!)

Edited by Caju_94

While I'm very fortunate that I can work from home and quarantine properly (I've only left the house twice in the last few weeks just for groceries)... it comes with a sense of guilt compared to those struggling be it those who have caught the virus, the front line workers in health care, those keeping the grocery stores running and in stock, or those who have lost their jobs and just trying to find a way to get by.

My brother has a comfortable job (only deals with 2-3 of the same people every day in his office and can easily keep his distance) but he still has to go in, and I'm thinking about him every day.  I'm trying to read the news less, because it's rarely anything good at this point and the best practices as far as social distancing and sanitizing aren't going to change... and I've hammered these ideas into the heads of my family in hopes they stay safe in lieu of my being there to help them.  It's been nice to video call with them a few times a week though.

But still every time I sit and enjoy a game, or laugh at a TV show/movie, I catch myself and stop like I'm taking my fortuitous situation for granted.  Like there has to be something else I can say or do to help... but literally the best (probably the only) thing I can reasonably do is stay home, stay healthy as long as I can, not strain the health care system further, not get my family sick if I'm just asymptomatic, etc.  So I think I just need to find a way to appreciate the distractions as long as I have them.

Edited by Dreakon13

19 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Trump extended the social distancing guidelines to the end of April. Guess someone got it through his head that doing it by Easter simply wasn't gonna work.

Oh, I could see it going a little longer than the end of April... and I wouldn't doubt it going clear into June. How did someone actually get Trump to listen to them?

Here's hoping that there is some existing drug or combination therapy out there that is a Madden Money Play against SARS-CoV-2. It is a shame that drugs approved in one country aren't necessarily approved in another. This system needs globalisation... right, all FDAs of various countries should join under a world group.

9 hours ago, Caju_94 said:

We are priviliged, guys! If this was 40 years ago, we would be bored as f***! xD  

That we are. I could imagine that would be like the Dark Ages. A lot of what we have today just wouldn't exist. No smartphones, no PSP/Vita, no Windows, no Amazon, no Sirius XM, to name a few things.

No, no, no you stupid mother fuckers! Oh boy, am I shaking my head at that news. Going to church is not so important at a time like this. Seriously, given the situation... why can't people just worship and pray privately? If someone goes to church, that in itself doesn't impress me much. It's how someone lives as a person and treats others that matters. You know... love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none. And these people who flout a law that was meant to protect the public from COVID-19 are doing wrong to everyone.

I think my faith in humanity has fallen a bit.

On 3/28/2020 at 1:50 AM, MidnightDragon said:

Saw some lady coughed on $35,000 worth of food at a Pennsylvania grocery store. What the fuck?! They had to toss out all the food and she got arrested later. No word if she has the virus or if she just did it because she's an asshole or crazy.

I saw that too, she kinda looked like a nut. I'm not sure where it was, but I also heard about a guy going around licking deodorant sticks... yeah. ?

I see people are still hoarding the hell out of TP though, I just got back from 2 different stores & this was the result...

shN4GcJ.jpg

Yep, not a single roll... I was there within an hour of them opening too, so they must not even have any to stock. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Masamune said:

I saw that too, she kinda looked like a nut. I'm not sure where it was, but I also heard about a guy going around licking deodorant sticks... yeah. 1f605.png

I see people are still hoarding the hell out of TP though, I just got back from 2 different stores & this was the result...

shN4GcJ.jpg

Yep, not a single roll... I was there within an hour of them opening too, so they must not even have any to stock. :facepalm:

F9E826DC-F756-4F7F-AB62-BE39879EDC06.jpe

Seriously though people, there is no need to stockpile. Everyone is so afraid of running out of products they ended up forcing stores to run out of product.

3 hours ago, Masamune said:

Pretty much the same here, our county has had a stay-at-home order for a while and as part of that order the stores are only allowing 1 person per 1,000 covered square ft.  It's meant there have been a few queues to get inside, we needed some essentials as we were completely out - went Monday afternoon and the queue to get in the store was over an hour wait.  Went first thing Tuesday morning and were one of the first people in the store....no toilet paper on the shelves at all.  We did manage to stock up on everything else though, so we're good for a while again before we need to go out.

Our state governor has announced a 30 day statewide stay at home order today, kind of long overdue imo.

1 hour ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Seriously though people, there is no need to stockpile. Everyone is so afraid of running out of products they ended up forcing stores to run out of product.

That store had a 2 per person limit too... I wouldn't be surprised to see someone out at the flea market selling them for like $2 a roll or some shit like that (I actually heard there was a guy selling masks there a couple weeks ago). ?

9 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

Pretty much the same here, our county has had a stay-at-home order for a while and as part of that order the stores are only allowing 1 person per 1,000 covered square ft.  It's meant there have been a few queues to get inside, we needed some essentials as we were completely out - went Monday afternoon and the queue to get in the store was over an hour wait.  Went first thing Tuesday morning and were one of the first people in the store....no toilet paper on the shelves at all.  We did manage to stock up on everything else though, so we're good for a while again before we need to go out.

Our state governor has announced a 30 day statewide stay at home order today, kind of long overdue imo.

We're supposed to be under an order here too starting this weekend I think. That's why I was out stocking up on a few things today, l found most of what I needed, things like alcohol & flour are still non-existent though. :dunno:Hopefully I won't have to go anywhere for a while now & just go into full shut-in mode & watch some anime. ?

For a perspective on this whole thing that none of you have probably considered, take a look at this article on the captain of the nuclear aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt: https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Exclusive-Captain-of-aircraft-carrier-with-15167883.php. In particular, read over that letter he wrote to his superiors. The ship is docked in Guam while deployed, with over 100 positive cases aboard, and the captain is asking for help in finding CDC-compliant lodging for over 4,000 people, in Guam, while they try to get over this. Over 4,000 people. For those of you not in the know, being on a warship is nothing like being on a cruise ship; you have zero personal space, and it's the closest you'll ever get to a prison-like experience without having actually committed a crime. The top two times I've been the sickest were directly correlated to my time as crew on a warship.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 9:12 PM, Neputyunu said:

I read today that the Chinese discovered that this medicine is helping against COVID-19.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favipiravir

They said, that people with COVID-19 got tested negative after four days after they received this medicine.

The downside is, that it does not have an approval in Europe (yet).

Now the White House National Security Council is pushing for the USA government to accept a donation of Avigan (Favipiravir) from Japan. To do it would take an emergency use authorisation from the FDA. Lately, Japan's Fujifilm has launched trials to test Avigan's effectiveness against COVID-19. Might be worth a shot if China swears by it. If all goes well, it could get approved in Japan around May for COVID-19. Indonesia is importing millions of doses, and Italy has approved some trials for it.

One caveat... Avigan is best given before the virus has a chance to multiply, according to some Japanese doctors.

5 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

No, no, no you stupid mother fuckers! Oh boy, am I shaking my head at that news. Going to church is not so important at a time like this. Seriously, given the situation... why can't people just worship and pray privately? If someone goes to church, that in itself doesn't impress me much. It's how someone lives as a person and treats others that matters. You know... love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none. And these people who flout a law that was meant to protect the public from COVID-19 are doing wrong to everyone.

I think my faith in humanity has fallen a bit.

If you don't like what's happening, then stop reading or watching negative or bad happenings in the news.

Edit: Also, calm down. Humans make mistakes, but they learned from them.

Edited by MMX20
Adding more stufff

10 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

If you don't like what's happening, then stop reading or watching negative or bad happenings in the news.

Although that guy is not learning. He was charged and said he will continue to hold services until he is arrested

https://www.fox8live.com/2020/03/31/pastor-louisiana-church-charged-accused-disobeying-governors-order/

8 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

Just a gentle reminder but this is a topic created for people to discuss what is currently going on with COVID-19 and how it is affecting them.  There is naturally going to be a lot more negative news, and this is a place where people can come and discuss that.  

If you wish to discuss how the current situation with COVID-19 is affecting you, then you are absolutely more than welcome.  However I do politely request that you refrain from further posts telling people to stop reading/watching anything negative or telling people to go protest if they don't like something.  It's not conducive to the threads purpose.

Many Thanks

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

Just a gentle reminder but this is a topic created for people to discuss what is currently going on with COVID-19 and how it is affecting them.  There is naturally going to be a lot more negative news, and this is a place where people can come and discuss that.  

If you wish to discuss how the current situation with COVID-19 is affecting you, then you are absolutely more than welcome.  However I do politely request that you refrain from further posts telling people to stop reading/watching anything negative or telling people to go protest if they don't like something.  It's not conducive to the threads purpose.

Many Thanks

Sorry about that.

• Like 1