COVID-19 Megathread

Mesopithecus

I’m in Budapest, I have been in home office with my two small children for three weeks now (so not much gaming).

I have ALL my physical games 300 km away from me, my PS Plus has expired, and I have generally at the end of my savings. Won’t be able to buy RE3, that was the only game I wanted to buy day 1. 

It’s okay, though. I’m more worried about my family, my doctor friends, and our government now ruling by decree, giving themselves unlimited power in a “state of perpetual emergency”. Fck all this.

Don’t spread rumors about cures, practices, don’t self-diagnose, stay home, stay safe. Let’s get through this.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

Sorry to hear that, man,

What sucks is just yesterday I finally got the ice cleared off my deck and I actually was able to do a bit of clean up (picking up trash from the winter, cutting up some more branches from our devastating ice storm last fall and then BLIZZARD :(  Like I said though, hopefully this forces people to stay home :P

20 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Now the White House National Security Council is pushing for the USA government to accept a donation of Avigan (Favipiravir) from Japan. To do it would take an emergency use authorisation from the FDA. Lately, Japan's Fujifilm has launched trials to test Avigan's effectiveness against COVID-19. Might be worth a shot if China swears by it. If all goes well, it could get approved in Japan around May for COVID-19. Indonesia is importing millions of doses, and Italy has approved some trials for it.

One caveat... Avigan is best given before the virus has a chance to multiply, according to some Japanese doctors.

Today I read that a medicine called APN01 got developed in Vienna by Apeiron Biologics which they are currently testing on sick people in Austria, Germany and Denmark.

The idea behind that is that the medicine is trying to imitate ACE2 enzymes so that the virus is going to target these instead of real enzymes in your body.

Source: https://translate.google.at/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.apeiron-biologics.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F04%2F20200402_APEIRON_Phase-2-EU-Studie_APN01_DEU.pdf

51 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

Today I read that a medicine called APN01 got developed in Vienna by Apeiron Biologics which they are currently testing on sick people in Austria, Germany and Denmark.

The idea behind that is that the medicine is trying to imitate ACE2 enzymes so that the virus is going to target these instead of real enzymes in your body.

Source: https://translate.google.at/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.apeiron-biologics.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F04%2F20200402_APEIRON_Phase-2-EU-Studie_APN01_DEU.pdf

Progress is going good. If this works, then maybe Apeiron will delevope more of this APN01 medicine to deliver worldwide.

OK there is so much serious news I need to rant about something silly instead.

So on Facebook I have been doing a "film recommendation" each day of the shutdown for people to watch while they are stuck at home. I am trying to make them films people may not have seen or have not seen in awhile and I am doing "theme" weeks. Last week was Canadian films, the week before that was based off of things in the news that day etc. This week is "Movies for the Family". Anyways today I recommended Space Jam (because I love that movie) and I was getting positive feedback from people but then I got a private message from a family member asking "is it really a good idea to recommend Space Jam since Harvey Weinstein produced it? Is that the kind of thing you should be promoting".

I messaged back with "Weinstein didn't produce it...he produced Air Bud" but then I thought 'really? Weinstein is a monster but right now I am trying to distract people from a shitty situation...is this really the time to be bringing that up? Also before you question me make sure you have your facts straight.

Anyways a stupid rant but had to get off my chest :)

4 hours ago, NekoRave said:

Imagine hating space jam lmfao.

Flase I work at lowes so check mark home depot and Lowes off. (In cali at least) 

We have absolutely 0 toilet paper and when we got a shipment it was gone in 10 minutes

You live in California bruh. I live in a state with far less people

Obviously this is happening since the roads are a lot quieter. I guess they don’t realize that the cops are still working. 

https://fox4kc.com/news/kansas-city-police-say-speeders-topping-100-mph-result-of-less-people-on-the-highway/

And Missouri’s governor got his head out of his ass and issued a stay at home order. Better late than never.

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 1

Our government recently told police to calm down a bit because they were abusing their new powers and the backlash from the public was huge. A woman who was charged and fined was recently cleared of wrongdoing because the officers didn't actually understand the new law themselves. 

Also the Queen is desperate for attention again because another one of her famous speeches will happen tomorrow. 

Edited by Bliss

On 27.03.2020 at 6:25 AM, Alderriz said:

Yesterday Putin announced that he is suspending all non-essential work in Russia... for a week

Since the number of infected started growing fast here, this order has been recently extended until april 30th.

tumblr_mzquteFsz71qb0wv3o3_r1_500.gif

4371 confirmed infected in Russia as of today. 43 dead. Most of them are in Moscow. There are only 25 infected in our region but people are being safe and smart here. The streets are almost empty and 80-90% of people I see in stores wear masks and keep their distance. 

Thankfully, the virus made its way over here late and we had time to learn how to act from other counties' examples. Who knows how much worse the situation would have been if it hadn't.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 1

Daily Show put together this video to show all the morons that helped spread the virus in the US. Remember these names as they are all complicit in the deaths that America is now seeing.

Also I know Trump is trying to prevent the export of masks right now but also remember how much Canada was there for the States over the years. Trump is burning every bridge there is and the rest of the world is watching and remembering.

15 minutes ago, Alderriz said:

Since the number of infected started growing fast here, this order has been recently extended until april 30th.

tumblr_mzquteFsz71qb0wv3o3_r1_500.gif

4371 confirmed infected in Russia as of today. 43 dead. Most of them are in Moscow. There are only 25 infected in our region but people are being safe and smart here. The streets are almost empty and 80-90% of people I see in stores wear masks and keep their distance. 

Thankfully, the virus made its way over here late and we had time to learn how to act from other counties' examples. Who knows how much worse the situation would have been if it hadn't.

Russia in 1 month

s-t-a-l-k-e-r-video-games-apocalyptic-video-game-art-artwork-hd-wallpaper-preview.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, panikooooos said:

Russia in 1 month

TBH, some places in this country have looked like this without any virus ?

This reminds me of some of the artworks inspired by the current events. 

QPHuEIScIXQ.jpg

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 1

Few posts back I mentioned that Navy captain of the USS Theodore Roosevelt that sent a letter to his superiors in regards to the rapidly growing coronavirus outbreak on his ship. Well, they complied, they're in the process of slowly evacuating the ship, but then they also relieved him of duty for "poor judgment". From what I understand, the Navy is pissed that he apparently didn't go through his chain of command about this first when he wrote that letter, which I call shenanigans because 1. That's what that letter was, he was addressing his chain of command, and 2. On that same ship is always a 1 star admiral, his immediate superior, whom I know from previous experience that captains on Navy aircraft carriers talk to daily and continuously. I can't imagine that the outbreak wasn't item #1 on the list of topics they discussed every day. Well anyway, the acting Secretary of the Navy ordered that guy to be relieved. The current Secretary of the Navy is a Trump appointee and universally recognized around the Navy as a fucking douchebag. Like no kidding, he sends out emails every Friday to everybody in the Navy where he jumps on his soapbox about some dumb shit, and everybody I know at my workplace has the guy's emails on auto-delete in Outlook. You may think I'm joking but I'm not. So this, my friends, is what happens when you try to do the right thing for the people you're responsible for: you get what you asked for, but get fired in the process.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Surprised she hasn't gotten sick since both Prince Charles and one of her servants got the virus.

Who knows.

They probably had some kind of plan in place to protect her like in all times of national crisis. I am more concerned about regular citizens (or 'subjects' as we are referred to) than an old woman who plays dress up now and then. I don't wish any harm upon her, she has a shit ton of money and the best medical professionals on hand so she along with her family will be fine.

All while our health service will soon have to make decisions on who to save and who to let die. Oh, and our government is planning on banning exercising outside among other things. We've already been going down the route of authoritarianism for years as it is but this is ridiculous. I've seen the term "covidiot" going around to describe those concerned about their civil liberties. Sad.

Edited by Bliss

4 hours ago, Bliss said:

Who knows.

They probably had some kind of plan in place to protect her like in all times of national crisis. I am more concerned about regular citizens (or 'subjects' as we are referred to) than an old woman who plays dress up now and then. I don't wish any harm upon her, she has a shit ton of money and the best medical professionals on hand so she along with her family will be fine.

Not saying you're less important than her. Just thought it was weird. She must be a robot or something. xD I hope I look that good when I'm in my 90s...but not filthy rich, so not likely. 

Edited by MidnightDragon

38 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Not saying you're less important than her. Just thought it was weird. She must be a robot or something. xD I hope I look that good when I'm in my 90s...but not filthy rich, so not likely. 

Don't worry. I didn't think you were implying that anyway.

Anyways yeah she is doing okay for her age... still drives on her own, travels abroad (well... before the virus) and all that jazz.

Edited by Bliss

On 4/4/2020 at 3:33 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

I take the Daily Show about as seriously as I take The Onion and their bias non withstanding, Democrats share plenty of blame as well but that would be "inconvenient"to report on with it being election year. Some of the US's first cases of the virus came from Canada, the measure is hard but no less than what's being done with Mexico and honestly a face mask is next to useless as the virus lives on clothes and you can be infected through any mucus membrane. Nothing short of a full on biohazard suit will keep you from being infected.

Also Trump isn't responsible for the various people refusing to follow social distancing edicts and gathering restrictions which is the main factor in the virus's rapid spread so trying to place "blame" on them is stupid

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, majob said:

I take the Daily Show about as seriously as I take The Onion and their bias non withstanding, Democrats share plenty of blame as well but that would be "inconvenient"to report on with it being election year. Some of the US's first cases of the virus came from Canada, the measure is hard but no less than what's being done with Mexico and honestly a face mask is next to useless as the virus lives on clothes and you can be infected through any mucus membrane. Nothing short of a full on biohazard suit will keep you from being infected.

Also Trump isn't responsible for the various people refusing to follow social distancing edicts and gathering restrictions which is the main factor in the virus's rapid spread so trying to place "blame" on them is stupid

The daily show just posted videos of people saying exactly what they were saying...so there is that. Yes it was done for comedy but those people said all of that.

And yes you should blame Trump and all governors (democrat of republican) who have not enforced social distancing. It is their fault for not taking this seriously. If your leader doesn't take it seriously why should the people.

Just last night Trump silenced Dr. Fauci when he was about to contradict Trump on advising non-tested medicine for Coronavirus...that is Trump (who said he takes no responsibility) quieting the leading expert because he would dare say something opposite to Trump.

Also it is cool to blame other countries but right now the States have the most cases in the world and that is because of the failed leadership. They didn't create the disease but they are more than responsible for all the deaths that are about to happen (and already have happened) due to their failure of leadership.

3 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

The daily show just posted videos of people saying exactly what they were saying...so there is that. Yes it was done for comedy but those people said all of that.

And yes you should blame Trump and all governors (democrat of republican) who have not enforced social distancing. It is their fault for not taking this seriously. If your leader doesn't take it seriously why should the people.

Just last night Trump silenced Dr. Fauci when he was about to contradict Trump on advising non-tested medicine for Coronavirus...that is Trump (who said he takes no responsibility) quieting the leading expert because he would dare say something opposite to Trump.

Also it is cool to blame other countries but right now the States have the most cases in the world and that is because of the failed leadership. They didn't create the disease but they are more than responsible for all the deaths that are about to happen (and already have happened) due to their failure of leadership.

You can't "enforce" social distancing without anything short of Martial Law and without that you can't stop the ignorant or stupid willing to defy such an order because they feel it inconveniences them.

As for the Dr. and Trump, this is a case of people for and against the FDA and I don't want to open that issue up. Regardless, it's bigger than "silence against dissent" and it's not about blame, it's about ensuring you aren't opening yourself up to any future problems. There are people in Canada who work in the US and it sucks but you can't just have back and forth travel for that right now with a pandemic going on. And of course we have more cases, we have 300+ million people, most of whom are packed into over crowded cities which is a hotbed for infectous viruses. It's largely our cities mostly affected right now while our rural areas are largely without issue.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, majob said:

You can't "enforce" social distancing without anything short of Martial Law and without that you can't stop the ignorant or stupid willing to defy such an order because they feel it inconveniences them.

As for the Dr. and Trump, this is a case of people for and against the FDA and I don't want to open that issue up. Regardless, it's bigger than "silence against dissent" and it's not about blame, it's about ensuring you aren't opening yourself up to any future problems. There are people in Canada who work in the US and it sucks but you can't just have back and forth travel for that right now with a pandemic going on. And of course we have more cases, we have 300+ million people, most of whom are packed into over crowded cities which is a hotbed for infectous viruses. It's largely our cities mostly affected right now while our rural areas are largely without issue.

But if your leaders don't take it seriously...then the people won't take it seriously. Trump said last week that the churches would be packed by Easter...so guess what a bunch of religious folks took him at his word and have not gotten the OK to pack their churches. Sure Trump took back those words but as President his words matter and he can't keep flip flopping on what works and what doesn't

Also by Trump pushing unproven drugs it makes them harder for people that actually need them (like my friend) and it can lead to problems like the Nigerians that overdosed on the drug because Trump recommended it. So then you have to look at "why he is pushing this drug so hard" Is it because he is getting lobbyist money? Is it because he (or a family member) owns a piece of the company? Is it because he is just hoping for a miracle?  We won't know because A) He won't release his tax returns so people can't see where he gets all of his money and B ) This administration just lies so much that it is impossible to tell if they are ever telling the truth.

I am unsure how anyone in April of 2020 can still believe anything that Trump says. It is truly mind boggling.

Oh and there are countries that have more population and are more closely contained than the states so just throwing that out there.

I am not trying to make this a pissing contest...just understand that your administration isn't just hurting your country it is now hurting other countries as well. For too long America has seen themselves as the World Leader but they haven't been proving it lately.

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1