Did you ever get a corrupted a game save file?

Zenpai

Have you ever had a save file corrupt on you?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a save file corrupt on you?

• Yes, plenty of times
    • Yes, just once or twice
    • Yes, but it was an accident (e.g. we had a backout while I was saving)
    • Nope, everything all right on this end.

yeah a few times but only due to blackouts about 3. Or some idiot turning off the power using the fuse box about 10 times now.

I have a shared fuse box in my appartment with my neighbors and they do this often without informing me.

Unfortunatly my UPS has not enough power to feed my PC and PS3/4.

Apart from that only like a few times for buggy games (Bethesda do we need more info).

I'm in the same boat as you.  I don't play online, I'm not interested in the games PS Plus offers typically (the ones I'm interested in I usually bought before they are offered for free).  But I've not had saves corrupt very much and it was usually due to an issue with the game or the hardware being saved on.  Honestly the most benefit I'd see for uploading saves is to aid in earning some trophies where if you fail you'd have to start all over again because it will overwrite your save after you fail.  However, you also have other means to back up saves.  You can use content manager to transfer to a computer on Vita.  On PS3 and PS4 you can transfer them to a USB and back up on a computer that way.  No need for PS Plus, just get a USB drive if you don't already have one lying around.

• Like 1

Ironically I once experienced my PS cloud storage ending up corrupted (on the PS4, early 2017 if I recall correctly)! The very same feature I relied on figuring “I won’t be playing this game for a while, to clear up space on the harddisk I’ll just delete the save game as well, I can always download it again later”. Wrong. It started taking longer and longer to return the list of games, up to 10 minutes at some point for maybe 50+ games (and again after selecting a game and backing out to the list again). To my horror the vast majority of my games in the cloud no longer held a save game but some kind of ‘blob’ file. 

I ended up restoring the few recoverable save games I could and deleting everything from cloud storage. It took me a full day to clean up that mess. Only from then onwards it started behaving normally again. I have had to replay countless games from scratch due to this f*ckery. Suffice it to say I *never* delete save games from my harddisk again and thus make sure never to have just one copy *safely* stored in the PS cloud storage...

Edited by Sifferino
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sifferino said:

Ironically I once experienced my PS cloud storage ending up corrupted (on the PS4, early 2017 if I recall correctly)! The very same feature I relied on figuring “I won’t be playing this game for a while, to clear up space on the harddisk I’ll just delete the save game as well, I can always download it again later”. Wrong. It started taking longer and longer to return the list of games, up to 10 minutes at some point for maybe 50+ games (and again after selecting a game and backing out to the list again). To my horror the vast majority of my games in the cloud no longer held a save game but some kind of ‘blob’ file. 

I ended up restoring the few recoverable save games I could and deleting everything from cloud storage. It took me a full day to clean up that mess. Only from then onwards it started behaving normally again. I have had to replay countless games from scratch due to this f*ckery. Suffice it to say I *never* delete save games from my harddisk again and thus make sure never to have just one copy *safely* stored in the PS cloud storage...

Interesting... considering cloud saves are the main reason I'm even considering PS Plus in the first place, stories like this are extremely enlightening.

5 hours ago, Zenpai said:

Interesting... considering cloud saves are the main reason I'm even considering PS Plus in the first place, stories like this are extremely enlightening.

I should add that when this happened I obviously did a Google search hoping to find a solution, but I found no similar cases whatsoever. I therefore concluded that I must be incredibly unlucky, possibly the only one with this problem. Keep that in mind.

BTW I am also the kind of guy who tends to make backups and backups of backups, only to find that when disaster strikes *both* backups are corrupt ?

Even though I make/made a living as a developer and use computers a lot, I'd swear they have it out for me like I am cursed or something...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sifferino said:

I should add that when this happened I obviously did a Google search hoping to find a solution, but I found no similar cases whatsoever. I therefore concluded that I must be incredibly unlucky, possibly the only one with this problem. Keep that in mind.

BTW I am also the kind of guy who tends to make backups and backups of backups, only to find that when disaster strikes *both* backups are corrupt 1f602.png

Even though I make/made a living as a developer and use computers a lot, I'd swear they have it out for me like I am cursed or something...

Hahaha, duly noted.

Again, the only times it happened to me it was:

A - Because I was incredibly stupid and it was on the PS2, so no PS Plus could have saved me there
B - Because I was playing a party game with a lot of people (including small children) using an unconventional controller, so they probably just did something to the game while it was saving or something.

So far, I guess I've been pretty lucky. It might just be because I treat my consoles really well and try to never rush anything. I'm especially careful when it's time to shut down.

Or it was just sheer dumb luck. Either way, I don't really have much to complain about right now ?

• 2 months later...

I play a lot of LEGO games.
Save corruption is boogieman that's constantly looking over my shoulder. Mostly because, despite being in the LEGO game business for more than a decade, TT can't seem to fix the same basic errors that have plagued their games since the PS2 days.

• Like 1

Yeah, it happened to me for the first time a few days ago, the game: LittleBigPlanet 3 with the Popit Academy save file.

Didn't hurt cause i already got the trophies when that happened, and of course i had a backup save cause is a must when you play a buggy game like LBP.

Always have an usb on hand, better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

I was playing Spyro: A Hero's Tail and I made quite a lot of progress, think I wasn't far from facing Red (the main boss). I might have switched off the PS2 while the game was auto-saving, but I was sure that it had auto-saved. Turned it back on later and found that the data was corrupted. My heart sank and I couldn't bring myself to start the game all over again.

• Like 1