PS5 Live Stream!

Dav9834

18 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

Yep from the sounds of it only the top 100 most played PS4 games will be backwards compatible at launch

Disappointing. Can't really see myself getting one on launch if that's the case.

They have tested them and can confirm, if I understand it right. They probably all work, since ps4 is the part of the core, not remote module.

1 minute ago, MATT_THE_FLY said:

Yeah I get that Cerny's presentation was aimed more towards game devs and the like. I just feel a little misled from the announcements from the official social media platforms.

I get you :) the social media stuff made it feel like a big reveal was coming. I really want to see what this thing looks like now, insides are interesting, but show me the chassis!

Just now, DividedByMankind said:

Lol, is it hard playing your ps4 game on ps4?1f44d.png

Xbox Series X is fully backwards compatible with the Xbox One's library. Why's it so hard for Sony to do the same? One of the biggest selling points for the PS5 for me was the ability to play my huge PS4 library with the various improvements to performance and greatly reduced loading screens. But nah, now I've got to keep my PS4 plugged in because Sony are incompetent.

5 minutes ago, HusKy said:

That doesn't say anywhere that the games outside of that list won't work.

But they had to start the testing somewhere and testing the top 100 most played games makes sense.

Dude, the fact that he even came out and said that means we won't have full backwards compatibility. It will be slowly rolled out as the generation goes on much like Xbox 360 titles on Xbox One. That's fucking lame.

Just now, Undead Wolf said:

Xbox Series X is fully backwards compatible with the Xbox One's library. Why's it so hard for Sony to do the same? One of the biggest selling points for the PS5 for me was the ability to play my huge PS4 library with the various improvements to performance and greatly reduced loading screens. But nah, now I've got to keep my PS4 plugged in because Sony are incompetent.

Dude, the fact that he even came out and said that means we won't have full backwards compatibility. It will be slowly rolled out as the generation goes on much like Xbox 360 titles on Xbox One. That's fucking lame.

One word ! Money! Preetty sure that?

8 minutes ago, DividedByMankind said:

Lol, is it hard playing your ps4 game on ps4?1f44d.png

According to Cerny the problem is that the PS5 is too fast to properly play certain PS4 games. Most likely ones tailor made to run specifically on the PS4 code wise. We're probably going to have to wait for update patches like Microsoft did with the Xbox One which means I should buy an extra PS4 or two because that possibly means only the "popular" games will receive compatibility support

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

You're comparing companies with different levels of resources and whom had different approaches to their consoles. It's never as easy as "X can do it so why can't Y"

• Like 2

Just now, majob said:

You're comparing companies with different levels of resources and whom had different approaches to their consoles. It's never as easy as "X can do it so why can't Y"

They are direct competitors, so of course we should compare the two. Xbox Series X allows you to play the entire Xbox One library right out of the box in addition to various Xbox 360 and original Xbox titles. PS5 lets you play *some* PS4 games handpicked by Sony. It's obvious who did the better job when it comes to backwards compatibility.

1 minute ago, Undead Wolf said:

They are direct competitors, so of course we should compare the two. Xbox Series X allows you to play the entire Xbox One library right out of the box in addition to various Xbox 360 and original Xbox titles. PS5 lets you play *some* PS4 games handpicked by Sony. It's obvious who did the better job when it comes to backwards compatibility.

You can compare of course but demanding why one can't do what the other did is a fruitless endeavor. There's a variety of reasons for decisions like this and it can boil down to the amount of resources one has access to and the difficulty of the task at hand with those resources.

Technically the PS5 is 100% compatible with the PS4 since the PS5 has built in PS4 architecture. The problem is with the games, not the console.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, majob said:

Technically the PS5 is 100% compatible with the PS4 since the PS5 has built in PS4 architecture. The problem is with the games, not the console.

If the problem is with the games and not the console, then why is it not an issue for Xbox Series X?

1 minute ago, Undead Wolf said:

If the problem is with the games and not the console, then why is it not an issue for Xbox Series X?

Because their games were coded differently. Apples and Oranges. From what I hear the hiccup is getting certain games clocked to run a certain way specifically to run on the PS5

50 minutes ago, majob said:

Because their games were coded differently. Apples and Oranges. From what I hear the hiccup is getting certain games clocked to run a certain way specifically to run on the PS5

This is correct. In the video Cerny even mentions that the issues arised from PS5 being "too fast" and some games have issues with handling it. If this is the case than I'm not too worried the backwards compatibility rate will be pretty good.

I'll wait to hear more before I make a final decision, but if this truly is Sony's ace up the sleeve in terms of backwards compatibility (only some titles at launch, nothing besides ps4, which is what it sounded like but not yet fully confirmed) then I have to say my disappointment at the moment is pretty high. Xbox is the clear winner in terms of BC support based on what we know at this point. Not feeling a day 1 purchase for me right now unless more information is revealed about the features of the PS5 at this point. What use is there in buying a PS5 for a may-or-may not actually support the library of games I want to play when I could just keep playing them on my PS4? Right now it sounds like the move to PS5 will happen once a pro-version comes out and the game library grows. I thought the PS5 was supposed to have a "wow" factor that "makes people swap over as fast as possible"? Not seeing it from this tech talk yet.

I definitely did not expect to see the console itself or any games. However it's disappointing that there wasn't any examples of just how powerful this new tech is, like Xbox did. It's nice to hear about all these new specs, power and little details, but actually seeing some demonstrations would have been nice. It's a lecture without any concrete examples to grasp on to fully wrap your mind around the sheer evolution the PS5 is supposed to be. Xbox even showed us how you can even have multiple games running and swap between them, that's pretty cool! Sony? Well... more waiting I guess to see what sort of features will be brought to the table. 

I'm still holding onto hope that Sony's master battle plan is to run Xbox dry then right at the final moment dump the holy grail of features to show they can compete just as well in the next gen as the previous one. :P I guess as long as they continue to have a wide array of game selection (unlike Xbox) then I'll be happy. That's why I came to PlayStation after all... such great games here that I couldn't dream of touching on xbox lol.

I wasn't expecting a full console reveal or anything, but I was hoping for a release date (or even a date for the full reveal), or an estimated price... guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for that. :hmm:

I found it interesting enough though, even if I did already know most of the stuff about the capabilities of the SSD. :P During the part about an external HD, I think he mentioned it would support a normal HDD for the last gen games, right? If so, that's good, I don't want to use the SSD more than necessary so to preserve its lifespan. :hmm:

1 minute ago, SanctifiedSword said:

I'll wait to hear more before I make a final decision, but if this truly is Sony's ace up the sleeve in terms of backwards compatibility (only some titles at launch, nothing besides ps4, which is what it sounded like but not yet fully confirmed) then I have to say my disappointment at the moment is pretty high. Xbox is the clear winner in terms of BC support based on what we know at this point. Not feeling a day 1 purchase for me right now unless more information is revealed about the features of the PS5 at this point. What use is there in buying a PS5 for a may-or-may not actually support the library of games I want to play when I could just keep playing them on my PS4? Right now it sounds like the move to PS5 will happen once a pro-version comes out and the game library grows. I thought the PS5 was supposed to have a "wow" factor that "makes people swap over as fast as possible"? Not seeing it from this tech talk yet.

I definitely did not expect to see the console itself or any games. However it's disappointing that there wasn't any examples of just how powerful this new tech is, like Xbox did. It's nice to hear about all these new specs, power and little details, but actually seeing some demonstrations would have been nice. It's a lecture without any concrete examples to grasp on to fully wrap your mind around the sheer evolution the PS5 is supposed to be. Xbox even showed us how you can even have multiple games running and swap between them, that's pretty cool! Sony? Well... more waiting I guess to see what sort of features will be brought to the table. 

I'm still holding onto hope that Sony's master battle plan is to run Xbox dry then right at the final moment dump the holy grail of features to show they can compete just as well in the next gen as the previous one. :P I guess as long as they continue to have a wide array of game selection (unlike Xbox) then I'll be happy. That's why I came to PlayStation after all... such great games here that I couldn't dream of touching on xbox lol.

Doesn't seem like BC was Sony's ace on any level. They confirmed to have it working with PS4 games last year and are still trying to make it work with all PS4 games. So far only 100 games work. WIP not an ace.

Cerny looked to be really focused on loading times, sound, and the way they have customized the CPU/GPU.I don't see any ace being hidden or used in this stream but rather a collection of strong ideas that could drastically improve how games both run and are designed. 

Just now, TJ_Solo said:

Doesn't seem like BC was Sony's ace on any level. They confirmed to have it working with PS4 games last year and are still trying to make it work with all PS4 games. So far only 100 games work. WIP not an ace.

Cerny looked to be really focused on loading times, sound, and the way they have customized the CPU/GPU.I don't see any ace being hidden or used in this stream but rather a collection of strong ideas that could drastically improve how games both run and are designed. 

I agree. I didn't mean it was their golden ticket to win over X1SX as the only feature they will provide in their evolution. I just meant if this is Sony's "wa-la, this is all we can do with BC and we're still working on it even after PS5 launch" then it's not... overly impressive. Ya know? At least not to the point most people wanted it to be or thought it should be even if it was just PS4 BC. Over time it'll get better for sure but for now it's just rather lackluster.  Xbox has been on that ball game for years now since last gen and it shows.

In terms of the "ohhh pick me pick me" race when we're comparing features that players would want at launch, I'd rather have the X1SX: Lot more backwards compatible across multiple generations, a powerful system with clear stuff players can actually see with reduced load times demo, multiple games running at once you can launch from suspended states demo, controller reveal and a strong vision going forward that can go toe to toe with PS5. Only thing they don't have from last gen is a lot of the game genres I like to play. xD If they had more RPG's or JRPG's I'd never have swapped to PlayStation at all. 

However the vision and direction Sony is taking sounds pretty interesting. On paper it sounds super speedy and pretty awesome, I just wish we could actually see some examples. :( Ah well. Soon... soon... :P I guess I'm just looking at this from coming from being an Xbox fanboy for 7 years. I just want PS5 to blow me away and make me feel like swapping "gaming families" was the right choice. Holding onto hope. :) 

Microsoft plans on releasing the Xbox Series X on November 26 (thanksgiving day in the U.S) so I guess Sony will release around that month.

EDIT: The website listed Thanksgiving 2020 and now they changed it back to Holiday 2020. Geoff Keighley said it was an error on Twitter

Edited by Ghost