PS5 Hardware Specs Revealed

Aranea Highwind

Most of those specs don't mean much for us end users, it's potential for developers.

However, for us:

• Internal Storage - Almost a terabyte. Cool.
  • Expandable storage - NVMe SSD. VERY, very cool.
  • External storage - Expected per previous consoles.
  • Optical Storage - Expected as well. 
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Astray404 said:

I wonder if the hardware difference between PS5 and Xbox SX is really that detectable or differentiable during gaming. Please correct me if I'm wrong lol. :hmm:

That's completely up to how the developers use both, they're the ones that have to optimize for the hardware. Possible to detect during gaming? Maybe.

3 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

But the question is a practical one of: is that detectable during gaming?

GPU mainly handles heavy game load whereas CPU handles system tasks. A faster cpu however does make a noticable difference. 

Linustechtips has videos where he benchmarks slower cpus and faster ones

On gaming consoles it's all about optimization though

Edited by SnowxSakura

1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

GPU mainly handles heavy game load whereas CPU handles system tasks. A faster cpu however does make a noticable difference. 

Linustechtips has videos where he benchmarks slower cpus and faster ones

On gaming consoles it's all about optimization though

I'm extremely familiar with all aspects of CPUs, GPUs, APUs and hardware in general. A faster cpu *can* make a noticable difference. It completely depends on the developer which is why the answer is not just automatically Yes to the initial question.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Can someone with some knowledge and no bias tell me if this is alot slower then the Series X?

Will the lower specs mean lower price tag?

I can't tell you anything about the performance but lower specs don't necessarily translate into a lower price tag. You can have a product on the lower end of the performance spectrum still be expensive to produce and thus have it reflected in its price. It's all about features, more features means a higher price tag

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Aranea Highwind said:

A full spec list for the PlayStation 5 has been revealed first at Digital Foundry.

• CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
  • GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
  • GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2
  • Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
  • Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s
  • Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
  • IO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
  • Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot
  • External Storage: USB HDD Support
  • Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive

its 10.3 tfs

Slower bandwith of RAM and less TF versus muuuuch faster SSD, comparable CPU and better 3D Audio chip.

I guess it will result in lower res, but that's it.

For me, playing on 1080p it's efficient enough.

For numbers' maniacs though, I guess it's a little letdown. 

+ They're not showing the console yet.

I guess M$ wanted to dominate as quickly as they could, because normally, presentation at E3 would suffice. 

However, backwards compatibilty and games themselves is what matters and by far, Sony is annihilating. GoW, new Killzone and GT7 and Xbox is done, even if they will have to lower res on some multiplatformers or use checkboarding.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

As much as I would have liked it to happen, I figured that backwards compatibility for consoles older than the PS4 was always a pipedream. What gets me is that they couldn't even get full backwards compatibility with the PS4's library and it'll be limited to whatever Sony handpick themselves. I'm so disappointed.

Well, those titles they picked have the highest chance to have used some specialized coding. If they can get those running correctly, everything else will run fine.

9 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

As much as I would have liked it to happen, I figured that backwards compatibility for consoles older than the PS4 was always a pipedream. What gets me is that they couldn't even get full backwards compatibility with the PS4's library and it'll be limited to whatever Sony handpick themselves. I'm so disappointed.

I agree with you yes. I mean on the Xbox Series X, it supports all previous Xbox generations too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

I agree with you yes. I mean on the Xbox Series X, it supports all previous Xbox generations too. 

It supports all games compatible with the Xbox one. Not every single Xbox game

Edited by majob
  • Like 2

So basically, the Series X is more powerful graphically (more flops).

And the PS5 will have shorter loading (faster SSD).

Will wait for the first nextgen games to come out to look at framerate/quality and loadtimes comparisons from Digital Foundry.

Interested to see how noticeable the differences will be.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, majob said:

It supports all games compatible with the Xbox one. Not every single Xbox game

You're correct yes but it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft either supported more Xbox One games or even tried to make all supported since they've always been the best on the backwards compatibility front. 

5 minutes ago, Alderriz said:

So basically, the Series X is more powerful graphically (more flops).

And the PS5 will have shorter loading (faster SSD).

Will wait for the first nextgen games to come out to look at framerate/quality and loadtimes comparisons from Digital Foundry.

Interested to see how noticeable the differences will be.

In a nutshell the two consoles are like this,

Xbox Series X = power. 

PS5 = speed. 

As a person who is so/so with tech and plays consoles, those specs don't mean much to me unless they're put in some sort of comparison. 

Also 885 GB for storage space? :/. 

That leaves about 600 or so for games because the rest will probably be occupied by the system's software what with the "stability improvement" updates. I understand that the loading speeds will be much faster given that it's an SSD but I would've expected the storage to be on par or more than the current consoles not less. Games are only getting bigger. 

• Like 1