PS5 Hardware Specs Revealed

Aranea Highwind

On 3/18/2020 at 9:40 PM, MyLastRide said:

Those who will launch Horizon Zero Dawn on PC? What a nice first-party studio.

I almost thought this was an early April Fool's. I found the Steam page, and it sure seems to be Sony's decision rather than Guerilla's... the publisher is PlayStation Mobile Inc.

Maybe since the original HZD is an older game, my guess is that Sony isn't too worried about giving up the PS4 exclusivity for it. GG will not be adding an FOV slider, despite that being a thing that PC gamers generally want. Why not? They feel that changing the FOV ruins the game experience. Hopefully they'll reconsider and add one later.

OK, I've watched in-depth analysis by DF and now I'm reaaaaaally excited about PS5.

(and it's such a shame that Sony didn't stress enough, even if they stressed it enough, that it will not be like XSX presentation, it is a tech-one only) It's because

1) the masturbation over those TFs is pointless - M$ knows that the best way to please fans with simple means is to throw numbers. 12TFs!!! 25 in ray-tracing!!! (that's not how it works...) Fast CPU!!! POWAAAH!!! And well, of course it worked, because numbers are impressive, because It's easy to compare and #pcmr, which is the loudest voice in the internet and which is mostly associated with xbox clientele because of game pass.

Meanwhile, Cerny reveals the console with 10.3 TFs, at max, variable Mhz in CPU and the only thing faster is the famous SSD. Because it was NOT for gamers, at least the one not interested in tech stuff, the result is... Coronavirus got people visibly infected because of amount of trolls and 'experts' trashing PS5. 

What is not noticed, is that while XSX is the most powerful, PS5 is the fastest. Boost mode is not overheating console, it is adaptive because CPU and GPU are designer to redistribute power between themselves immediately, so that the power is never constant, it is there where it is needed in particular scenario. Meanwhile, SSD with I/O and riddiculous bandwidth is so fast, that it works almost like additional RAM (additional 825GBs of RAM)... In XSX it's fast, for loading and managing stuff, sure.

But in PS5 it's not a memory you can put on like some cartridge (mmm, the Seagate cards will be costy), they based the whole system on bandwidth, that's why also the amazing 2.23 GHz at max in GPU.

The result is... 

XSX is PC, pretty much or less. It has a power, it is always there, it is impressive piece of little fridge. 

Meanwhile, PS5 is not so "number-ish", but it is focused on not wasting the power. You will have your only 10.3TF or less, but it is always in use, always in transfer, not wasted. The optimisation of specs in Sony's stuff looks wonderful.

And with that, I'd say Sony won in the long distance. You want more power? We simply add visible, additional layer of stuff, like we did with PS4 Pro. The frequencies are crucial here, not stuff itself. In XSX? The whole architecture has to be changed because of how much stuff is packed inside (56 CUs, transistors all over the place) or it will have to be bigger (it already is not small), overclocking stuff is also blocked by the default heating system. 

2) I have a theory that they releasing Horizon: Zero Dawn on PC not only for advertising. It is because with it's Decima Engine, it instantly boots the terrain we observe and hides the one we don't, which is in par with how PS5 will work, putting power in effective way. And because of that, PC will serve as potential benchmarks, allowing Sony to optimise their future first-party games even better.

3) Tempest 3D will be a marvel. I said it.

4) Compatibility? 100 games will work with the enhancements provided by PS5, the rest will probably work as usual. So, I'm selling my PS4 anyway.

• Like 1

I'm ok with it being ps4 backwards compatible but not ps3. My ps4 is sounding a bit like a jet engine so being able to use that less is a good thing. However my ps3 is over a decade old and doing fine, cheap enough to replace anyways but I have run out of official ps3 controllers and I'm now using third party ones.

"Sony's next-gen PlayStation 5 can deliver up to 9GB/sec speeds on its powerful new PCIe 4.0 SSD, making it roughly 100x faster than the PS4's current hard drives."

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/71338/playstation-5-ssd-speeds-hit-9gb-sec-with-custom-12-channel-controller/index.html?utm_source=dlvr.it

Okay, so things aren't as bad as I originally feared when it comes to backwards compatibility. They definitely could have made things more clear in the livestream and original PlayStation Blog post about it. Still, I would like to know what exactly is meant by "the overwhelming majority of PS4 titles will be playable on PS5", because from what I understand, there's a PS4/PS4 Pro mode you can switch to, so why wouldn't *every* game be playable? Are they just talking about playing PS4 games in the native PS5 "boost" mode?