Difficulty drop after second boss

ZeromusF4

Anyone else feel like the difficulty has dropped hard after the second main story mission?

The first boss I died at for maybe 30-40 mins. The second one took me about 45 mins, After that (im on the 3rd region second main mission) and most of the other bosses I have killed first try and the side mission mostly have been done without dying. Im going through super slow though and pulling only one mob or so at a time. Im using spear (pumped constitution) and healing onmyo magic.

Personally I thought that the owl was much harder than the first two bosses ( both took me 10-15min). The 3rd boss (snake) was more annoying because I didnt know you can drain the poison pool.? The human bosses and the weasel boss were really easy. The next 2-3 bosses you meet are a bit more challenging.

The game is much easier than Nioh 1,

• You can summon AI NPC for bosses.
  • A lot more missions feature AI partners by default that can never die. 
  • Boss Ki is easier to drain and drains faster. Most Yokai bosses barely recharge Ki.. 
  • Boss attack patterns are a bit easier to predict. 
  • Burst Counters 
  • More weapons, which means more ways to break the AI.
  • More overpowered and game-breaking skills that can easily exploit the AI (High Stance Spear).
  • Fewer hidden enemies/traps.
  • No 2 on 1 boss fights.
  • Shrines are closer to the bosses.

6 minutes ago, Good_Sir_Matt_II said:

king skills that can easily exploit the AI (High Stance Spear).

• No 2 on 1 boss fights

Those missions at the end of Nioh 1 (I remember an ice butterfly lady? and someone else) where you had to fight 2 broke me. Never beat em

I really can't see how this game is easier than Nioh 1. Maybe my memory is a little fuzzy, but I remember first Nioh being a walk in the park compared to other Soul-like games. Nioh 2 on the other hand is giving me a fair amount of deaths and challenges. Maybe my build is weak af but I insta-die on one hit from EVERYTHING that moves. If I used last year's Sekiro as the basis for the difficulty rating, it would look like this:

Sekiro: 100%

Nioh 2: 50%

Nioh 1: 30% (it was almost a usual action RPG for me back then, most bosses died on second/third try)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Good_Sir_Matt_II said:

The game is much easier than Nioh 1,

• You can summon AI NPC for bosses.
  • A lot more missions feature AI partners by default that can never die. 
  • Boss Ki is easier to drain and drains faster. Most Yokai bosses barely recharge Ki.. 
  • Boss attack patterns are a bit easier to predict. 
  • Burst Counters 
  • More weapons, which means more ways to break the AI.
  • More overpowered and game-breaking skills that can easily exploit the AI (High Stance Spear).
  • Fewer hidden enemies/traps.
  • No 2 on 1 boss fights.
  • Shrines are closer to the bosses.

1. AI NPCs are a joke and die on the first sight of a boss. I could swear one of the phantoms died of heart-attack on one of the easiest enemies in the game. I would never bother with them if it wasn't for the trophy.

2. They only follow you for a while and like phantoms fall down after a few hits. They don't die per se, but they are not much use when they're constantly out of breath on the ground. Found myself making a lot of more stupid mistakes and dying when I had them around.

3. Maybe I'm not understanding this mechanic right, but all my bosses entered Yokai realm the moment their Ki drained, and it immediately went back up. Maybe I'm thinking about a different thing.

4. True. I still die on the mechanic I know is coming either way.

5. Burst counters are not making things easier, but rather annoying. You have to parry almost all of the burst attacks if you don't want to be in the same room with the boss for the next month. Their health bars are sponges.

6. and 7. Every game is easy if you take game breaking and exploits into consideration. Every From Software game is easily brakeable, you can kill bosses shooting them from outside the fog for crying out loud. I don't think it's a valid argument then.

8. Did you count them?

9. Nioh 1 had only like... 1 of them?

10. It's making things more convenient, not easier.

• Like 1

I haven’t played this game yet but my friend says the difficulty is stupidly low. Somewhat the same as Nioh 1 if not even lower. Most bosses for him take like 2-3 tries and he said going through all of the bosses is going super quick (think there is like 60+ bosses in the game?)

In general, N2 is easier than N1, yes. That said, I'm a Nioh veteran.

7 hours ago, NarcissusBaz said:

Fewer hidden enemies/traps.

Many things you mentioned are on point (and I agree with you), but not this one. Far mor traps and ambushes in N2. 

Beating bosses isn't a problem, beating them in some fancy way (like no damage, no sloth, level 1, no armor) is where the real fun starts ^0^

Just unlocked the third region and it does seem easier than Nioh 1 so far. Some of the side missions that have you fighting multiple strong enemies at once are pretty challenging though. The summomable AI partners don't last very long in those battles or boss fights in my experience. 

On 19.3.2020 at 10:33 PM, ZeromusF4 said:

Those missions at the end of Nioh 1 (I remember an ice butterfly lady? and someone else) where you had to fight 2 broke me. Never beat em

That was Yuki-onna and Nobunaga. There are even worse 2 on 1 fights in the game, most of them are optional though.

I played Nioh just a few months ago and Nioh 2 is a little more difficult imo so far.  The most deaths I have had to a boss is Enera (2nd boss in first region) 6 attempts and Gyuki (1st boss in the fourth region) 9 attempts.  All other bosses were either first or second attempt.  No exploits, no guide videos, nothing.  I don't play games to cheat my way through them.  I think both Nioh games are a decent challenge, they're not over the top hard by any stretch but they're certainly not 'easy'.  

On 3/20/2020 at 7:58 AM, NarcissusBaz said:

I really can't see how this game is easier than Nioh 1. Maybe my memory is a little fuzzy, but I remember first Nioh being a walk in the park compared to other Soul-like games. Nioh 2 on the other hand is giving me a fair amount of deaths and challenges. Maybe my build is weak af but I insta-die on one hit from EVERYTHING that moves. If I used last year's Sekiro as the basis for the difficulty rating, it would look like this:

Sekiro: 100%

Nioh 2: 50%

Nioh 1: 30% (it was almost a usual action RPG for me back then, most bosses died on second/third try)

I call those moves the bullshit-super-saiyan-moves because frankly if i were to be punched by Goku i imagine it feeling roughly as OP and overwhelming as that. It really just makes me nervous to go anywhere with xp. I've played most soulsclones so I'm perfectly familiar with the setup and all but usually recovering my souls is a matter of concentration not luck and i just can't handle the commitment of losing all my hard earned xp over an impossible situation. I still like it a lot more than Sekiro though, at least I'm not forced to counter.

On 3/19/2020 at 4:26 PM, Good_Sir_Matt_II said:

Boss Ki is easier to drain and drains faster. Most Yokai bosses barely recharge Ki.. 

Yokai do not recharge Ki by themselves, they create a pool and recharge Ki there almost instantly, or they shift to dark realm and recharge it there.

About the difficulty, in both Nioh there is a builds diversity and you can hard counter every boss.

You want challenge like in Sekiro or dark souls, you can play no Onmyo/ninjutsu, jsut weapon and elixirs, and difficulty will be on point, you will have to learn boss moves like in other games.

Sloth and op builds are for diversity but really can make the game trivial.

Edited by Hartgroove

I'm at the start of the fourth region now and so far it's only been Yatsu-no-Kami that has killed me. That one took me four attempts, but the rest of the bosses have been first attempt, though I somehow scraped through the fight against Enenra with the tiniest amount of health left. 

It's been awhile since I played the first game, but I've found myself happily fighting multiple enemies at once rather than pulling one at a time. I'll probably wait until I've finished the game before giving a definitive "this one was harder than that one" rating, but so far Nioh 2 has probably been a tad easier. 

Having said all that, it's still an eternal struggle for me to fight those damn Karasu Tengu. I struggled against them in the first game and I'm STILL struggling and making stupid timing mistakes against them in this game

• Like 1

I have to say I feel the second half of the game felt like a cakewalk to me I had around 10 tries on Yatsu-No-Kami and had a hard time with the Ice boss as well. Then I respecced my character (Onmyo/Switchglaive build) and beat every boss in the last 3 areas solo on my first attempt and just rushed through stages no problem. Maybe it's just because I played Nioh 1 for 300 hours and have some knowledge of how important stats and build balance are, which is not really expected on your first run through the game I feel.

Edited by DezuReborn

The only reason this game might seem remotely hard, at least to me, is if you are not careful during the travels in the mission areas. Getting ganged by several enemies at once was pretty much the main source of death for me, had no issues what so ever with any of the bosses.

Both Nioh games feels like this to me, kind of a lazy way from the devs to up the difficulty. Instead of making challenging fights they just throw X amount of enemies at you at the same time. Don't get me wrong, still love the game but there are still alot of improvements that could be made.

Edited by Misshandlad

1 hour ago, Killbomb said:

Not going to lie, I died 23 times to Gyuki this morning. Second most deaths were 11 to the first boss while I was getting used to the game again. Wondering how I'll fare the rest of the game...

Gyuki was also my hardest boss and i finished the Game now. I fought Gyuki at Night before bed time so mit sure if i was Not focusing enough ;) the Rest of the Bosses weren‘t as Hard as Gyuki in my opinion. I Played with the axt so maybe it‘s also a weapon thing :P 

3 hours ago, Inuty said:

Gyuki was also my hardest boss and i finished the Game now. I fought Gyuki at Night before bed time so mit sure if i was Not focusing enough ;) the Rest of the Bosses weren‘t as Hard as Gyuki in my opinion. I Played with the axt so maybe it‘s also a weapon thing :P 

I normally play Spear but I wasn't having much luck against Gyuki with it. Tried a few different weapons and I was able to get him within a few tries with the Axe. 

I'm on the 5th main mission and finding the game to be substantially tougher. I recently finished Bloodborne and the bosses just don't deal the damage or have nearly the health they do in Nioh 2. In fact I don't think I've ever put in more than 5 attempts on any Souls boss but the first 3 in Nioh 2 took around 10 tries each. Nioh 1 got easy once you found the perfect weapon for your build and I imagine it will be like that for Nioh 2 but until then it's pretty rough.

Having 4-5 elixirs for a boss that has to be hit several dozen times usually doesn't go well.

Edited by Sn1per666999

The hardest boss I've encountered so far was Maeda Toshiie, just because, once again, I insist on playing some ridiculous glass-cannon ninja build that loves to get one-shot by everything. He's the boss that finally made me equip Quick-Change Scrolls. Daidara Bocchi on the other hand was just plain bad, probably my least favorite boss in a Soulslike since the Bed of Chaos (Dark Souls). These giant bosses are definitely the low point of Nioh.

Other than that, the difficulty seems fine for a first playthrough. I don't think the game is noticeably easier than Nioh 1 to be honest, but I guess it all depends on how you decide to play the game.

Yeah it's way easier than the first game. I just finished the last mission today. Apart from the owl boss, I really didn't struggle that much. Don't know if there's a trick to that owl boss or if it's just a weird difficulty spike. I beat a lot of bosses on my first try, others needed at most 2 or 3 tries. That owl one must have taken around 15 tries.

I didn't use any cheap builds or whatever, so it's not like I'm making it easier for myself. This is legit. The November beta was way harder than this, a good challenge actually, but then they decided to make it easier because a lot of people complained about the difficulty.