Favourite game of this past gen?

FluffyAssassin64

As we near the end of this console generation, we (as gamers) can look back on a fantastic 6/7 years of gaming this past-gen. From multi-platform greats like Bioshock, RDR, Skyrim (for some), the Arkham Series, etc. to PS exclusives like Uncharted, Infamous, Heavy Rain and TLOU (just to name a few), the Microsoft powerhouse of Halo and the fantastic Super Mario Galaxy series, this has been a great time to be a gamer.

My question is; what is your favourite/favorite (I'm an Aussie, favourite is spelt properly where I come from) game from this past gen?

Obviously not restricted to the ones I've listed above; they're just some major ones that readily come to mind.

I'd have to go with Bioshock as my stand-out; the atmosphere, story-telling and combat really did it for me. The Last of Us also stands out as the pinnacle of story-telling to me. But then there's so many others...

My absolute favourite game from this past gen is without question Super Mario Galaxy. Game that introduced me to this gen aside, I personally think the level design is the best in any Mario game as one of the reasons I love it.

As for PS3 exclusives, LittleBigPlanet 2, no doubt (I still shiver at the creativity that the game offers) and as for multiplatforms, Saints Row 2 is my absolute favourite, because even now, it's just so much fun.

Of course, there are plenty of others...

There are quite a few games this generation that I've just been taken aback by and as such I can't list only one. 

Gran Turismo 5 & 6 

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

The Last of Us

Red Dead Redemption

Uncharted Series

Dragon's Crown

Metal Gear Solid Series

LittleBigPlanet Series

Bioshock Series

Okami HD

Parker

I don't think it's possible for me to name just one game...

1) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

This game is my Goty of 2013 so far. It's one of the hypest games i've played this year. Its also got a incredible soundtrack.

2) Dark Souls.

Without a doubt this is definitely one of my favourite games this gen. It's a shame that some people will miss out on this game because of the 'over hyped difficulty'

3) No More Heroes 2.

Another awesome game from the crazy mind of Suda 51. I completed this game again today for the 10th time, it's one of the few games this gen that i've done that with.

Honourable mentions 

Xenoblade chronicles 

Super Mario galaxy

Halo 3

Metal Gear solid 4

The Witcher 2

Lost odyssey 

Edited by Pascal

Mass Effect 2 was, hands down, the single greatest gaming experience I ever had. I literally played it for six months straight, creating a dozen Commander Shepards to play as. I heard about it while watching a video on YouTube about another BioWare game, Jade Empire. I liked that game so I looked into ME2, saw there was a demo in the PS Store, played and loved the demo, so when there was a price drop, I bought it.

An honorable mention goes to Transformers: War for Cybertron. It was the first game I ever played online and I met most of my online friends from it.

Edited by Pirelli913

Such a difficult question!! Batman Arkham: City was truly amazing, especially the voice acting done by Mark Hamill and writing by Paul Dini. But, Naughty Dog did produced quite the spectacular graphic presentation in a little game titled Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

Gah!! So hard to choose!!

I guess if both games were falling off a cliff, I'd dive with them because i cannot choose. They were both just so perfect. I guess Batman Arkham: City would beat it out by less than the thickness of a strand of hair. 

Such a difficult question!! Batman Arkham: City was truly amazing, especially the voice acting done by Mark Hamill and writing by Paul Dini. But, Naughty Dog did produced quite the spectacular graphic presentation in a little game titled Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

Gah!! So hard to choose!!

I guess if both games were falling off a cliff, I'd dive with them because i cannot choose. They were both just so perfect. I guess Batman Arkham: City would beat it out by less than the thickness of a strand of hair. 

• Like 1

BioShock: It had the best story of any game this gen in my opinion, followed by Infinite.

Modnation Racers: This was just a fun racing game, with a very cool character creation system.

Borderlands 2: My favorite fps game this gen.

Little Big Planet 2: Took creativity to a whole new level.

Batman: Arkham series: Set the standard for all superhero games.

Dead Island: Showed what zombie games can be, looking forward to them in next gen.

Those are probably my favorite games from this gen, can't think of any others right now.

• Like 1

- The Last of Us

- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

- L.A. Noire

- Dead Space

- Dead Space 2

- Ghostbusters: The video game

- echochrome

- SOCOM 4

- Flower

- Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic

- Heavy Rain

- Demon's Souls

- Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver

- Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

- Bioshock

- Bioshock 2

- Bioshock: Infinite 

- Hotline Miami

- Rock Band 3

- Battlefield: Bad Company

- Battlefield: Bad Company 2

- Battlefield 3

- Dishonored

- Fallout 3

- Fallout: New Vegas

- Red Dead Redemption

- Metal Gear Solid 4

- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

- Silent Hill: Downpour

- Batman: Arkham Asylum

- Batman: Arkham City

- The Walking Dead (Telltale games version) 

- Uncharted: Golden Abyss

- Limbo

- Shadows of the Damned

- Lollipop Chainsaw

- Deus Ex: Human Revolution 

• Like 2

The Last of Us

Fallout 3

Heavy Rain

Dead Space

God of War Ascension

The Walking Dead Survival Instinct

Uncharted 2 Among Thieves

Bioshock

Dead Rising 2

GTA5, Batman Arkham Origins, and Beyond Two Souls will most likely be added in.

Edited by drummerklg

Even though I only got to play in the last beta phase, I'd have to say Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. I haven't played the original XIV but I have heard how bad it was; also, I didn't have any money to afford it.

Second would definitely be Borderlands 2. I don't know why, but I love it. I just do.

• 5 weeks later...